Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

BiggerBoat posted:

True, but it'd be a novel idea anyway. Not sure it's ever been tried.

Daria did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Hell, KotH had the characters age...just much slower than real life. I think maybe about 3-4 years passes between the beginning and end of the series?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Bobby starts at 11 and ends up 13 pretty early in the series and doesn't age from there.

Now let me tell you why this means they're all in Hell. See, Bill represents Gluttony, Boomhauer is Lust, Hank is Wrath, and Dale is---

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Bobby I think just has that weird episode where he listens to Bill give advice about Connie that really brings him down. Outside of that I can't think of any episode where he's outright creepy towards a girl, but it's been a while since I've seen the later seasons.

I always saw it as him and Hank would kinda switch roles. Sometimes Bobby would get into a fad that Hank knew would end badly and be the responsible one, and in others Bobby is doing something normal but different than Hank's view, and Hank has to adapt.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Choco1980 posted:

Hell, KotH had the characters age...just much slower than real life. I think maybe about 3-4 years passes between the beginning and end of the series?

Listen to Joseph's voice at the beginning of the series, and compare it to the end.
Apparently Brittany Murphy (who voiced Luanne :rip:) did his voice until it was time for him to go through puberty.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I realized Seth MacFarlane was a complete rear end in a top hat when he did a standup special on Fox that had a backing orchestra and celebrity guests.

Seth MacFarlane is also a complete rear end in a top hat because he thinks rape is a punchline.

Saint Drogo posted:

The big shock of Jimmy Saville, the incredibly creepy TV man who constantly made jokes about being a rapist, actually being a massive child abuser and rapist has meant a lot of British TV episodes can't be broadcast again.

I was rewatching an episode of 8 out of 10 cats that must have aired not long after he died and one of Jimmy Carr's intro jokes was something like

"Jim will fix star Jimmy Saville has died...
I guess he finally got around to reading my letter"

not a problem with the joke itself but the audience giving one of those disapproving "ooooOOOooo" type reactions just seems so wrong now.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I added up all the "18 months later" "1 year later" "3 years later" between the seasons of 24, and the whole show takes place over a period of 25 years.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BiggerBoat posted:

One of the things I liked about King of the Hill was that it actually made an attempt at continuity for the most part, even though no one really aged. It'd be funny to see an animated show that actually aged the characters in real time.
My biggest disappointment with that show is that they gave up on aging the characters after the first year or two.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Aesop Poprock posted:

Family Guy is a really unpleasant show

That's the perfect word for it. That show really hasn't aged well, it felt like every season everything about it just got more and more unpleasant, although it's been years since I've watched it so maybe they started going in the other direction. I doubt it though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The only thing you need to know about 24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P52G4Kyq5M

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

evobatman posted:

I added up all the "18 months later" "1 year later" "3 years later" between the seasons of 24, and the whole show takes place over a period of 25 years.
And in that time they went through at least nine presidents (including the unseen one from Season 1, or ten if you include Palmer's VP as Acting President). The Presidency in 24's America is basically cursed.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Lord Hydronium posted:

And in that time they went through at least nine presidents (including the unseen one from Season 1, or ten if you include Palmer's VP as Acting President). The Presidency in 24's America is basically cursed.

Also, you better pray that you are never captured by CTU and brought to their headquarters, because then you are hosed! Someone is guaranteed to grab a gun from someone elses holster and shoot you while you are being walked from your cell to the interrogation room or back the other way.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

evobatman posted:

Also, you better pray that you are never captured by CTU and brought to their headquarters, because then you are hosed! Someone is guaranteed to grab a gun from someone elses holster and shoot you while you are being walked from your cell to the interrogation room or back the other way.

Well, that's if CTU wasn't attacked in a more overt and bombastic fashion, for example with bombs, nerve gas, or hell, an all-out Chinese specops assault through the front loving door. :v:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Lord Hydronium posted:

all too credible

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Pick posted:

all too credible

did voldermort try and become president and then curse the position when he lost

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Did Married With Children have any opinions that are really awful in retrospect?

While in college, Bud was arguably raped by a woman that was played for laughs, but I'm struggling to remember much of anything else that was really terrible.

Al insulted overweight women (and everyone else) but the writers always made the women to be awful individuals. Seemingly every one of his targets was written to deserve it. Considering the attitudes of the era and the show being edgy for the time, I'm assuming there has to be something.

Way back in the thread because it's moving fast, but there was that episode where the punchline was that this really amazing sexy woman that they were going to build a whole brand on turned out to be transgender, which ruined one of their get-rich-quick schemes. Can't remember the episode title, but I have thought about it, as well as of Ace Ventura, as comedy that thankfully wouldn't be done today.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Way back in the thread because it's moving fast, but there was that episode where the punchline was that this really amazing sexy woman that they were going to build a whole brand on turned out to be transgender, which ruined one of their get-rich-quick schemes. Can't remember the episode title, but I have thought about it, as well as of Ace Ventura, as comedy that thankfully wouldn't be done today.

I don't recall that one, but there was an episode where a customer in the shoe store mistook Marcy for Bruce Jenner.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mister Kingdom posted:

I don't recall that one, but there was an episode where a customer in the shoe store mistook Marcy for Bruce Jenner.

:aaaaa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADiq-EYObkM

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

evobatman posted:

Similarly the Friday the 13th series has so many time jumps that by the time Jason Takes Manhattan, in a film that came out in 1989, it is at least 2001. Which obviously means Jason Voorhees did 9/11.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Similarly the Friday the 13th series has so many time jumps that by the time Jason Takes Manhattan, in a film that came out in 1989, it is at least 2001. Which obviously means Jason Voorhees did 9/11.

Can a machete cut steel beams?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
The kids collapsed the wtc on top of him. Next film we see him climb out of the rubble.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

That's the perfect word for it. That show really hasn't aged well, it felt like every season everything about it just got more and more unpleasant, although it's been years since I've watched it so maybe they started going in the other direction. I doubt it though.
Family Guy was decent in its pre-cancellation seasons and its first post-cancellation one when Fox had Seth MacFarlene on a very short leash. When they took him off that, it got really bad. It turned from a show about scattershot pop culture references to a show that's incredibly self-referential.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Roadhouse

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

More like oldexplainless

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Oh yeah, I remember that: and the lady was banging Bud and then she admits to her sex change on television and leaves Bud there in stunned horror. Almost forgot about that one.

Outside of the one I mentioned way, waaaay back in the beginning of the thread (the gay panic thanks to Al going to a hairdresser), it's hard to remember Married With Children episodes since it's been about twenty years. A lot of the sexual politics were really drat insulting for everybody involved: being a women means no work, being a man means being worked too much and used until you die like a horse, any change to that system results in Marcy and her own issues (which is doubly problematic since she's gay in real life), et cetera. The whole show was funny when it was brutal even if it wasn't fair at all, but it got weird in its later seasons. I still don't know what they were going for by having Seven or Amber in the show and both of them vanishing pretty much shows that the showrunners didn't know either.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Oh yeah, I remember that: and the lady was banging Bud and then she admits to her sex change on television and leaves Bud there in stunned horror. Almost forgot about that one.

Outside of the one I mentioned way, waaaay back in the beginning of the thread (the gay panic thanks to Al going to a hairdresser), it's hard to remember Married With Children episodes since it's been about twenty years. A lot of the sexual politics were really drat insulting for everybody involved: being a women means no work, being a man means being worked too much and used until you die like a horse, any change to that system results in Marcy and her own issues (which is doubly problematic since she's gay in real life), et cetera. The whole show was funny when it was brutal even if it wasn't fair at all, but it got weird in its later seasons. I still don't know what they were going for by having Seven or Amber in the show and both of them vanishing pretty much shows that the showrunners didn't know either.

I suddenly remembered what the project was - a calendar. The episode is appropriately called Calendar Girl.

Also, speaking of Amanda Bearse, don't forget the episode where she also played her lesbian identical cousin, Mandy, in Lez Be Friends. Al somehow manages to be the one getting Marcy to accept that, I remember him being a dick about it somehow, but vaguely.

Absurd Alhazred has a new favorite as of 07:26 on Aug 13, 2017

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Oof, I forgot that part. I just remembered Al and his partner/rival just matter-of-factly going "welp, we're done", which at least is relatively tame.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Marcy and her own issues (which is doubly problematic since she's gay in real life), et cetera. The whole show was funny when it was brutal even if it wasn't fair at all, but it got weird in its later seasons. I still don't know what they were going for by having Seven or Amber in the show and both of them vanishing pretty much shows that the showrunners didn't know either.

Amanda Bearse did an episode where she played Marcy's lesbian cousin. Who hits it off with Al.

As for Seven, the writers quickly learned from that mistake after incurring the wrath of the fans. He went to stay with the D'arcys and never came back.

He was referenced twice and never again:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
The Drew Carey Show had Drew's brother, Steve, appearing as a transvestite. He got a job at the department store and they had Mr. Wick trying to figure out which of the employees was a man.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

joshtothemaxx posted:

Yeah. Although it's not egregious because the gag is that Hank doesn't even realize crossdressing is a thing. It's more that Hank is totally ignorant to the concept than a bigot.

The "Gerry-rigged" genitals joke is pretty bad.

Bill's cousin Gilbert is openly gay and talks about sleeping with a Dallas Cowboy. Hank is obviously uncomfortable but... I mean come on Gilbert is a creepy (but hilarious) dude regardless of orientation.

They handled Dale's gay dad very well! Especially Hank's response to the "are you gay" question with "What? No! I sell propane!"

The one moment though that pisses me off is in the later episode where Hank breaks his nose playing flag football. He goes to a plastic surgeon and becomes vain over his new nose. In a final scene, the folks in the waiting room all give Hank a pep talk. One woman says something like "You can do anything you put your mind to. I used to have a penis." Then, completely out of character, Bobby says "I'm gonna remember something today: either what 'shim' said or you playing football dad!" Using the word "shim" is so unnecessarily cruel and unfunny it ruins the whole episode.

Few pages ago but we've been rewatching and I felt the exact same with this line.

Something I find funny in an older simpsons episode was homer clocking on of marges sisters at 160 pounds as if that's morbidly obese. According to google that's actually 10 lbs lower than the North American standard.

I think Daria aged poorly for me because now as an adult I see a pretty rich teen and it just makes my eyes roll now. Loved it as a kid though

54 40 or fuck has a new favorite as of 17:59 on Aug 13, 2017

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Mister Kingdom posted:

The Drew Carey Show had Drew's brother, Steve, appearing as a transvestite. He got a job at the department store and they had Mr. Wick trying to figure out which of the employees was a man.

Steve was handled so strangely on that show. Like, some episodes he was gay, some he was straight, like the show had literally no idea how trans identity worked, but you could also tell at the same time that they rather progressively at least wanted it to feel okay and acceptable.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Choco1980 posted:

Steve was handled so strangely on that show. Like, some episodes he was gay, some he was straight, like the show had literally no idea how trans identity worked, but you could also tell at the same time that they rather progressively at least wanted it to feel okay and acceptable.

Billy Crystal's gay character, Jody Dallas, was handled in a similar fashion on Soap. They had him as being very effeminate, wanting a sex change to please his his boyfriend, then becoming suicidal. Then they had him having sex with a woman and fathering a child (which ended with a nasty court case). And finally had him believing he was an old Jewish man.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

get that OUT of my face posted:

Family Guy was decent in its pre-cancellation seasons and its first post-cancellation one when Fox had Seth MacFarlene on a very short leash. When they took him off that, it got really bad. It turned from a show about scattershot pop culture references to a show that's incredibly self-referential.

Original Family Guy was unwatchable, derivative tripe and it was deservedly cancelled.

The show actually gets funny when it lets its misogyny and mean-spiritedness run wild.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Or if you're transgender you obviously had gender reassignment surgery. If not you're just a cross dresser.

It's a complex subject so I can't really fault a sitcom that can't even manage multifaceted or realistic straight characters, but if you don't know a trans individual - learning about them on TV is very weird.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Tv shows should never make fun of anyone or anything imo

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

oldpainless posted:

Tv shows should never make fun of anyone or anything imo

More like Oldpoliticalcorrectness

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Krispy Kareem posted:

Or if you're transgender you obviously had gender reassignment surgery. If not you're just a cross dresser.

It's a complex subject so I can't really fault a sitcom that can't even manage multifaceted or realistic straight characters, but if you don't know a trans individual - learning about them on TV is very weird.

The whole trans is a place you go after you are super super gay is confusing as hell too.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

I appreciated the video, not so much the way the music was several times louder than the presenter's voice. It was like I was watching actual TV!

Edit: holy lol at my phone autocorrecting "voice" to "voicemail".

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Actually, this is all you need to know.

https://youtu.be/kfsITDhPAoE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

bobjr posted:

Bobby I think just has that weird episode where he listens to Bill give advice about Connie that really brings him down. Outside of that I can't think of any episode where he's outright creepy towards a girl, but it's been a while since I've seen the later seasons.

There's an episode where he dates an older girl and she's not into him. Because she's a vegetarian, he gets revenge by eating a giant steak in front of her. Always thought he was kind of an rear end in a top hat in that one and it seemed out of character.