Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Well that sure was a thing. I was with Fuyuhiko there, just staring at the screen going 'Mikan, what the hell are you talking about.' And that was before the execution...

The execution, it seemed very uh, symbolic, but my best guess is that she was given and overdose of something on the hospital bed and the rest was her just tripping out.

Which, interestingly was a pretty easy way to go compared to what the others got, and she murdered twice as many people. Didn't even need to be manipulated into it either, she was ready to kill as soon as she got her memories back. Though her whole little speech on memories really got me thinking, it's not just a matter of forgotten events like with Fuyuhiko's sister. After two years at school and whatever major poo poo went down they'd literally be different people, maybe drastically. That poster with the idea that they were all there to be rehabilitated might have the right idea. (Except of course that was probably meant to involve only a beautiful tropical island and having Monomi teach them about friendship...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

With the weird memory poo poo and the island doing crazy nonsense like the monsters and mount bearmore and whatnot, and the way the despair disease just suddenly became a Thing, and then stopped just as fast, I'm wondering if the plot twist at the is that they're all brains in jars and in some sort of weeaboo matrix ripoff or something.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Monobear does certainly seem to exert a far greater and more arbitrary control over reality in this game than in 1.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

One thing about Tsumiki's confession is that it provides a stronger suggestion of these events taking place after DR1. If we can surmise that her 'beloved' is someone of relative importance in Despair Inc. (and not some random person that the story kept from us for no good reason), then the guess of Junko or even Mukuro seems like a solid one. Which means this is after DR1, and importantly, after the survivors escaped.

Since it also seems likely that a group named 'Future Foundation' is more inclined towards hope, and in fact they do want to end the current DespairWorld, they are World Enders too, then it stands to reason that the survivors of DR1 are part of that group. In which case the spy/mole is actually on the side of the good guys.

Togami seems like a possible candidate, but he's apparently dead right now. Most likely next guess is Hajime, since he doesn't quite remember why he's at the school. Possibly because he never actually was a Super.

My theory is that they were set up as an experiment/demonstration against Despair. Each of them had their memories of the last couple years wiped (so they aren't aware of the Incident), and the test is to see if, in this state, their 'true' personality will reveal hope or despair.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
The one doing the most to keep people optimistic and on track up to this point has been Chiaki.

Which really really worries me because it means her odds of her getting killed/being a killer for whatever batshit reasons the game comes up with, or being revealed to be a spy are that much higher.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Zoe posted:

The one doing the most to keep people optimistic and on track up to this point has been Chiaki.

Which really really worries me because it means her odds of her getting killed/being a killer for whatever batshit reasons the game comes up with, or being revealed to be a spy are that much higher.

Additionally, there's a Monomi mini-game the last LP showed off which involves her clearing the Monobeasts. I always thought the Super Gamer was an obvious person to be controlling Monomi for that, and it'd explain why Chiaki seems sleepy much of the time.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Narsham posted:

Additionally, there's a Monomi mini-game the last LP showed off which involves her clearing the Monobeasts. I always thought the Super Gamer was an obvious person to be controlling Monomi for that, and it'd explain why Chiaki seems sleepy much of the time.

Oh right that minigame.

*Looks at LP folder*

*Looks at subfolder labeled "Monomi 1"*

> Date Created: January 8, 2017

Wow I didn't realize it was that long ago that I'd recorded and planned to show off that extra mode. Maybe I should post that update at some point soon.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

man who the gently caress cares about monomi

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

dancingbears posted:

Her diaper and weird bellybutton upsets me.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
She's far more disturbing than Monobear.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
From what I remember of the beta designs, originally Monomi was going to be more like Monokuma. Gun-toting and the like. Only she'd be that way about hope shards rather than despair.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

dancingbears posted:

People who won't stop playing this until they get all of this game's trophies. Like me :negative:.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

BlazeEmblem posted:

People who won't stop playing this until they get all of this game's trophies. Like me :negative:.

anyone who gets all the trophies deserves monomi

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: ...

It's finished...

Is it...really finished...?

The killer who killed Ibuki Mioda and Hiyoko Saionji was Mikan Tsumiki. And she's been...executed. She apparently committed her crime because she was afflicted by the Despair Disease.

...So what? What's...finished? Nobody wanted it...to end this way.

: Who was that Mikan...from earlier? Was that her true form? Or...is that itself a symptom of the Despair Disease?
: ...It doesn't matter either way. If she ended up like that just from "remembering"... Then all along, Mikan was never worth being a Symbol of Hope.
: Even if her words were influenced by the Despair Disease, if the disease turned her into that... If she lost herself to a simple disease, she was definitely unworthy of being a Symbol of Hope.

: So...let's just move on.
: C'mon, let's take all this despair and change it into hope!
: Th-That is impossible!

: I mean...I thought we were friends this whole time...but even so...

Like a house of cards collapsing in an instant... In the end, our friend we thought we knew ended up showing us a completely different side of herself... Then she vanished from our sight, leaving behind only her malice toward us. And now...there's no way we can just move on and have a clear-cut attitude about these feelings...

...That's clearly impossible.

: It...would've been so much easier if she was the traitor, too...
: Too bad. That's not the case. Mikan was not the traitor.
: The traitor is still alive. As proof, see how fine Monomi looks right now.
: I-I'm not fine at all...

: But if the traitor died, you wouldn't be this calm, right? I mean...you're both pawns of the Future Foundation. So you guys are like two hearts beating as one, right?
: What does that make you, fiend? You did say that you're different than Monomi...
: Who cares about who I am!? More important, I'm tired! The drama just kept going and going, I didn't even have time to eat my black bean right eye during the break!
: Your right eye is made out of black beans!?

: ...Wait, now's not the time to focus on that. What are you trying to say!?
: You know, isn't it said that life has its ups and downs? It's fun because downs come after ups, but if life was full of downs, wouldn't it get boring?
: Sooooo in order to help you guys feel better, I've prepared a special event!
: ...Special event?

: Head over to the 1st island's beach. An old friend will be waiting there.
: Old friend...?

Music cuts out.

: Could it be...Nekomaru...?

: Is it!? It is, isn't it!? Nekomaru was safe after all!?
: Um... "Safe"...how should I say this...hmm...
: I knew it... I knew that crazy bastard Nekomaru would come back to us in one piece!
: Awesome! We're starting to see the light of hope!

: The light of hope...? Um...I am happy Nekomaru is returning to us, but...but I...
: Three of our friends just died... So I honestly cannot be happy...
: M-Miss Sonia...
: However...
: Even so, I am still happy... If Nekomaru is safe, I am truly happy...!

: If you are happy...you should honestly greet him with open arms. Perhaps those who have been taken from us would do the same if they still lived...
: Hey, Supreme Overlord of Who-Gives-A-poo poo... That line doesn't suit you at all.
: Silence. I shall crush you into dust.

: Ibuki, Hiyoko...Mikan. Can you hear us? If you are unhappy, I apologize... However...please forgive me for right now... I...want to warmly welcome Nekomaru when he returns to us!
: You don't have to worry, Sonia... I'm sure your feelings are reaching them...

: Then let's all go greet Nekomaru. Let's make it grand, even for those who have died.
: *Sob*... Huh...? What the heck...? Do I still have the aftereffects of that disease...? *Sob*...I don't get this at all...

A-Akane...

: All righty then! Let's go!
: ...Yeah, you're right.

Music fades out.

Nekomaru's coming back... When we heard that... We were unable to contain our excitement as we jumped into the elevator.

: Maaaan... They just ran off without listening to what I had to say...
: Jeez, they're so impatient! Didn't they learn to stick around until others have finished talking?
: Wh-What does that mean?

: You...you're plotting something again, aren't you!?
: Puhuhu... I'm not plotting anything... I was just trying to properly explain everything to them. Including...Nekomaru's body...
: ...Huh? Nekomaru's body?
: Puhuhu...It's their fault for not sticking around until I finished talking...

: So if something happens because of that, I bear no responsibility!
: Y-You...what did you do to Nekomaru...?
: What did I do...? I just saved him, that's all. I mean...if I didn't do *that*...there's no way I could've saved someone who was that close to death... So it just couldn't be helped.
: Puhu...puhuhuhu...

As soon as we exited the elevator, we started running...

: ...Hurry! To the beach on the 1st island!

: All right! Let's haul rear end!

Even though our minds were completely exhausted, strangely enough, our bodies felt light. Without stopping for anything, we kept right on running toward the beach on the 1st island.

: Where...where in the world is Nekomaru?

: Heeeey Nekomaru! Show yourself!
: We have come to pick you up! Please hurry up and come out of hiding!

We raised our voices. We looked around the area.

We raised our voices again. We looked around the area again.

And so on and so forth, we kept looking for him. But...

: Wh-What the hell, man... He's nowhere to be found...!
: Could it be...did we get false info from Monokuma again?

...And that's when it happened. We heard a familiar voice echo throughout the beach.

Music fades out.

: Gaaaah-hahahaha! What happened!? Were you all looking for me!?

: Th-That voice!

With high hopes in our hearts, we turned toward the direction of the voice...

And then...we saw something truly unbelievable.

: ...Huh? What the--?
: Yo! I've kept you waiting!
: Hey, what's going on!? Perhaps you don't remember my face since we haven't seen each other in a while!? That's pretty sad, you know! That's too much! Gaaaaah-hahahaha!
: Um... Who're you?
: Huh? You too? What's going on? If you're messing with me...I'll stop going *IT* to you!
: Um...Nekomaru? Haven't you...noticed it yourself?
: What do you mean, "noticed...?"
: Oh, you mean this body!? Gah-hahaha! This is nothing!

: The name's NEKOMARU NIDAI!!! I've been reborn in the rivers of hellllllll!!! Gah-hahahahaha!
: Ah...ah...aaahhhh...
: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Zoe posted:

Her diaper and weird bellybutton upsets me.

I mean, those are both Monokuma's fault. She didn't have them initially.

Oh hey update. Hi, Robomaru! You're awesome!

Qrr fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 12, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Monokuma I feel the drill beard was perhaps a bit unnecessary.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Mechamaru. :allears:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

EponymousMrYar posted:

No drill is ever unnecessary. More drills are always necessary.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

MarquiseMindfang posted:

No drill is ever unnecessary. More drills are always necessary.

This man gets it. More drills are the best drills.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Among my bigger regrets in life was not getting a few things done a tiny bit faster so that possibly the last thread could have seen this reveal before its demise.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
After everything we've seen so far, I'm not sure why this is the point where my mind goes, 'this game is getting weird', but there we have it anyway.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

FPzero posted:

: If you are happy...you should honestly greet him with open arms. Perhaps those who have been taken from us would do the same if they still lived...
: Hey, Supreme Overlord of Who-Gives-A-poo poo... That line doesn't suit you at all.
: Silence. I shall crush you into dust.

Good. Very good.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Honestly given how totally weird everything is and all the strange hints about the world being wrong, "brains-in-jars" or "this is virtual reality" doesn't seem unreasonable. My brain is checking out.

Looking forward to the next case, where the killer will shoot the victim with a gun made out of coconuts, then write a symphony, build a 3 story house, paint it, tile the bathroom floor, decide the colors don't work, repaint, then write their auto-biography before the body hits the floor.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 13, 2017

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

EponymousMrYar posted:

The Mecha pecs on the other hand were extremely necessary.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_owr1ZfL0k

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I was worried something bad was going to happen, but then something amazing happened instead. Thanks, Monobear!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

But how will he talk about SHIIIIIT now if he doesn't have to? :ohdear:

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
The question is, will he largely be the same person, or is this actually a poor copy that will be an insult to his memory? Uh, in terms that might be easier to understand for some, was his body altered to be like that or his mind transferred into the robo body, in which case he's the same person (but likely with a changed perspective) or did he die and monobear created a robot caricature.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Well, at least he wasn't a strung up corpse with a voice box, which I thought might be a despair inducing way to show him...

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2zYuQqzEJQ

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Anyone else find it interesting that Monokuma talked to Monomi when nobody else were around? I know they say stuff to the audience on occasion, but thats different, are they truly controlled by the same people?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
He's much less monobear-themed than I would have expected.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

FPzero posted:

: But if the traitor died, you wouldn't be this calm, right? I mean...you're both pawns of the Future Foundation. So you guys are like two hearts beating as one, right?

What does this mean?

Both? as in both you and the students? Or both, as in Monomi isn't actually a mono-mi? There's two people controlling her?

Nagito's the traitor (because he's Naegi brainwiped) and Monomi is controlled by Aoi and Toko, I guess. It was a big conspiracy point in the old thread but hasn't been a big deal in this one that Nagito's name in Japanese is an anagram of "I am Makoto Naegi" so that absolutely won't be a thing and the only character from the previous game was Togami, who isn't actually the real Byakuya. Maybe this is the Togami family fight to the death that he talked about and the winner inherits the Togami fortune.

Im not paying however much to play half a game to find out so FPzero you're a hero, carry on, this is great.

Oh hey robot Nekomaru, this game is so ridiculous it's barely a surprise. At the moment I'm really not understanding the people who like this game over the first one.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

eating only apples posted:

What does this mean?

Both? as in both you and the students? Or both, as in Monomi isn't actually a mono-mi? There's two people controlling her?

Both as in Monomi and the traitor. I... thought that was kinda obvious.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

e: nah bein dumb, forget it

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 14, 2017

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Trial 3 Addendum

I'm writing this in anticipation of some of the posts that will probably start cropping up around the time the trial finishes. At the time of writing, I've just posted part 3 of the trial and we're anticipating Gundham's Rebuttal Showdown. Normally I just keep whatever comments I have about the game or LP as a whole separate from the updates themselves but in this case I think it's important to add this addendum because it might help explain a few things in greater detail.

As many of you have probably noticed by now, Trial 3...had a few issues surrounding it. Unlike most of the other trials in both this game and its predecessor, Trial 3 actually has some pretty big plotholes, or at least totally unexplained elements, in it. Where did Mikan put all the stuff she used to stage the hanging? How did she blow the candle out while on the stepladder without showing Hajime her face? How did she clean up the scene fast and thoroughly enough to still meet Fuyuhiko and then go tamper with the crime scene and then go meet Hajime at the motel? When was Ibuki killed? When was Hiyoko killed? If Ibuki was killed around midnight, why was Hiyoko coming to the music venue to tie up her sash? If Ibuki was killed around dawn, why was Hiyoko coming to music venue to tie up her sash at such an early, pre-Monokuma announcement hour? How was Hiyoko actually killed? If the video feed is so bad with the candlelight, how can Hajime be certain there is no bloodstain on the stepladder? There are so many elements surrounding the case that just plain aren't explained despite the long back-and-forth of the trial. How Hiyoko died especially bugs me because all we know is that her neck was slit somehow but we have no evidence of a weapon or anything. The whole setup feels a little...unfinished.

And, well, that's because it might actually have been.

When originally setting up for my DR1 LP, I spent a lot of time looking for graphical rips to make my talking head portraits out of among other resources. Along the way, I spent some time reading 4chan's Danganronpa thread (smart idea I know) because that turned out to be a great place to find said game resources and other information. Now before I go further, let me make a disclaimer that pretty much everything I say here I can't confirm for myself. Not to mention I'm going by my memories of posts I read over a year ago. I'm also not able to try and confirm it at this time because there's no way I'm gonna search anything Danganronpa related until Danganronpa V3 comes out and I've played and beaten it. I'm especially not going into 4chan's DR thread where the people there have no doubtedly imported and played DRV3 themselves and are actively discussing it. Spoilers are everywhere man.

Anyway, among the things I read in their threads was that a major rewrite of the game supposedly occurred about halfway through the game's development. The rewrite point was somewhere right around Chapter 3's murders. This was because the development team made the decision to change at least one person who died in Chapter 3. That's right, originally Hiyoko was not supposed to die in Chapter 3. Whether or not Hiyoko would have been killed later or survived to the end, I won't say to avoid ruining or causing false speculation. The same goes for the person who was originally supposed to die this chapter--I know who it was going to be, but won't say for the same reasons (And I'd ask that no one else does either).

This sudden change in who died must have caused a time crunch on the team as they scrambled to fix up what they had of the Deadly Life secion of the chapter to fit in Hiyoko's death. Ibuki's death was pretty well fleshed out during the trial and almost everything regarding the circumstances surrounding her death was answered in some fashion. It's only when the parts where Hiyoko is involved come into play that the trial stops making perfect sense. If you felt like her death was just sorta tacked on to the chapter, you're not alone. It feels that way to me too. And while not satisfying, knowing this information might explain why this is the only trial in the two games that feels this sloppy. From what I've read, it also appears Danganronpa 2 went through many other major revisions while being made, but none as far along through development as Chapter 3's murders. I might have more to say on some of those revisions later on, but probably not until we've beaten the game.

Hopefully that answers a few questions about Chapter 3's inadequecies. I'm not looking to stifle any discussion that might have popped up post-trial about this topic. I just felt it was important to explain what I know as best I could to try and help set the record straight. If anyone knows any more about this topic, feel free to tell me so I can make corrections. Just, if it has spoilers in it such as who was originally planned to live or die, please PM it to me instead and I'll try and find a way to incorporate it without the spoilers. And if it turns out that none of this is true, then shame on me for believing the internet.

Overall DR2 has higher highs and lower lows than DR1. Chapter 3's trial, to me, represents the absolute lowest point of the game for more than just the reasons surrounding the revision and Hiyoko's death. But on the bright side, I think everything from this point onward starts getting better and better. Believe me, if you've been enjoying the ride so far, you'll love some of what's to come. I know I am.

Fun fact, when I first bought this game for myself, I ended up playing from the beginning of Chapter 4 to the end of the game all in one night, beating it somewhere around 6:30 AM the next day. Staying up that long basically made me forget all of the specifics and so from here on out. That was two years ago, and I haven't seen the upcoming chapters since then. While I might know the big general details about the game such as who lives, who dies and the big important plot details, I've totally forgotten some of the order of events and small details about each chapter. It's basically all a blur from this point out so it's like I'm also getting to re-experience the game for the first time. Sort of. Point is, this game is good and I hope you've been enjoying it. Thanks for sticking with the LP this far. The rollercoaster ride isn't over yet!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

FPzero posted:

Fun fact, when I first bought this game for myself, I ended up playing from the beginning of Chapter 4 to the end of the game all in one night, beating it somewhere around 6:30 AM the next day.

The "gently caress sleep" point is definable in more or less all games of this particular mystery bent. Ch5 through 6 of Danganronpa/2 (presumably v3 too). The final branch of all of the Zero Escape games. The final case of any Ace Attorney game. Chapter, oh, I don't know, 11 or so of Ghost Trick.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

When V3 comes out it's gonna suck. It's a Tuesday and I'll be in classes all week. But yeah, I can imagine that over that following weekend I'll finish it up, probably at some ungodly hour of the morning, just the way it's supposed to be.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Hiyoko is great, I'm sad she ended up dying here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fedule posted:

The "gently caress sleep" point is definable in more or less all games of this particular mystery bent. Ch5 through 6 of Danganronpa/2 (presumably v3 too). The final branch of all of the Zero Escape games. The final case of any Ace Attorney game. Chapter, oh, I don't know, 11 or so of Ghost Trick.

I was lucky and was flying basically across the world so had all the time in the world to crunch through 5 and 6 for DR2.

• Locked thread