Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Yaws posted:

Does anyone have any Cool Gamer Tips on how to not suck playing Binding of Isaac? It's a fun game but holy gently caress am I terrible at it.

Aim better and dodge?

Play, die, unlock stuff, and repeat. The more items you unlock, the better you'll eventually do.

E: Alternatively, keep using Isaac until you unlock his D6. Try to go for an Infinite Re-roll build: Nun's Habit + Sharp Plug + some healing like Piggy Bank + Bloody Penny, etc. Then proceed to break the game over your knee in one of several different ways.

Waffle! fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yaws posted:

Does anyone have any Cool Gamer Tips on how to not suck playing Binding of Isaac? It's a fun game but holy gently caress am I terrible at it.

Aim better and dodge?

Realize that player skill is only a small part of how well you'll do in a Binding of Isaac run, it's much more about RNG

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
good players can get streaks in the hundreds in BoI, which would be virtually statistically impossible without the vast, vast majority(we're talking 99%+) of games being winnable.
player skill is absolutely more important than RNG, RNG just tightens how well you need to play because with bad items you'll take less hits before dying and take longer to kill things. but the whole game is technically beatable with no items at all.

e: to expand on this-what if we start with the assumption that only 90% of BoI games are winnable. in that case, what are the chances of getting a winstreak of 100?
You can find the answer to this pretty simply by doing a binomial distribution, and you don't even need to do it yourself because plenty of binomial distribution calculators exist online.
Plug that into one and you''ll find the odds of 100 possible wins lining up in a row when any given run has a 90% chance of being winnable is only 0.0000266, or 0.00266%. That's extremely low, not even 1/100 of 1%... so it seems the chances of any one run being winnable must be much higher than 90%.

Especially since good players frequently get winstreaks much better than that. I believe the record is 909 wins in a row, second place 800-some? It would be absolutely unfathomable to reach those numbers if RNG made games unbeatable in anything but extremely unlikely, borderline non-existent scenarios. My assumption is that a percentage of BoI games very very nearly approaching 100% are totally winnable assuming good play.

I don't even like BoI very much but I definitely don't like people being unwilling to admit the reason they lose is because of themselves, not the game

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 14, 2017

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So Tacoma is good. It hits all the same beats that Gone Home did so I guess it isn't changing much but there's the same level of detail that made Gone Home good and how much can you mechanically ask from these games anyways. Also like Gone Home some people may balk at $20 for what you get but if you picked up Gone Home for $10 or whatever and liked it for that price you'll get pretty much the same mileage out of Tacoma.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

nachos posted:

Games like Nier and SOMA have a payoff worth slogging through a bunch of unfun bullshit. Doom can probably be safely dropped around the hell level with no regrets though.

I loved every moment I had with SOMA though and didn't find any of it a slog at all. Was way to engrossed in the story itself :cool:
New Doom though I just was playing it, then forgot what I had just done the minute before and went 'welp'. I can fire up old Doom though and have a rip-roarin' good time.

Like was said though there are too many games to play, far more than you physically are able to so it seems weird to me that you'd play a game you aren't enjoying anymore to somehow look for the fun. I'd rather just jump to a whole new experience and find the fun immediately there.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Yaws posted:

Aim better and dodge?

It's the obvious answer, but just play it a bunch. Most of being good at Isaac is knowing what items work well for you, knowing how enemies and bosses behave and how to work around them, and knowing how to make the best use of your resources. You can watch some youtube players to help with some of that, but you just need to develop that muscle memory through play.

One piece of less-obvious advice I have is that you should be using your cards, pills, bombs, etc., pretty liberally. Basically the first time you think they'd be useful. If you try to keep them for a better situation, you will keep them until you die/until you finish the game and they'll have been useless.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Hey guys am I missing something here or does Mad Max seriously not have a loving car horn button

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

MisterBibs posted:

Bit of an esoteric question, but if I wasn't completely sold on 2070, is Anno 2205 any good? I barely squeezed out ten hours in 2070 with a sensation of "I want to like this but something is stopping me, and I can't place why", but so many reviews of 2205 say they've changed things so much that it might be precisely what I was looking for. I'm really jonesing for a farm-materials-process-materials-sell-materials game.
I mean it depends on what you didn't like about 2070. Could be the aesthetic?

If so, listen to this guy

anilEhilated posted:

Just get 1404, it's the best.a
also install the unofficial patch just to make things shine a little bit.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
Has anyone seen the hack and slash game Phantom Trigger?

It kind of looks like a hyper light drifter. I'd be curious what people who bought it think of it.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Videogames played over the weekend: golf

I had some nice shots but this is the only thing worth sharing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ0fC7MqsD8

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Captain Foo posted:

what

You're the only person I've ever heard day borderlands is better solo, and I've played a lot of it both solo and co-op

I'm not necessarily saying solo is strictly better, but co-op seems to introduce a lot of compounding elements that make parts of the game way more of a pain than they should've been.

Admittedly, in the case of BL1 especially, back in the day me and my co-op partners were not aware of the finer details of how guns worked because the game does a poo poo job at explaining things. So imagine thinking that, for instance, lightning weapons are functionally useless if you're not shooting at something with a shield, sticking with 1-2 weapon types per person due to weapon XP and classes suggesting you do so, and being forced to split the drop pool four ways regardless.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Xander77 posted:

Link please.
This is from a day or so ago but it's really funny to me so here you are.

Alex Garland interview with EDGE posted:

Movie writers supposedly have a hard time dealing with game scripts, some providing movie scripts which have to be modified. What was your impression of Tameem’s script for Enslaved?

I think that’s a fair comment about movie writers and game scripts. It was certainly true of me. As for Tameem’s script, it was structurally all there. He’s a gifted and imaginative storyteller, and would work very naturally in the film world. I sort of hope he tries it someday, but in another way I don’t think he should, because there may be more interesting things to achieve in the games world.

I guess if I were to make a criticism it would relate to character and consistency. Making sure characters are true to themselves, and true to some kind of larger truth, which relates to the recipients of the narrative. That is to say, the player. Us. For example, I think the first serious discussion we had about the narrative was on the very first day that I, Tameem and the level designers all sat down together. We got to a section where Monkey was walking down a walkway, and he sees an escaping slave trying to pull himself up to the walkway. And instead of helping the guy up, Monkey kicked him in the face and sent him to his death. They thought that projected the idea that Monkey was a badass. Whereas, to me, it projected the idea that Monkey was a bit of a oval office.

I think that highlighted a difference in our approach to character. This is a generalisation, and I know there are plenty of exceptions to the rule, but game design has a tendency to be fast and loose with character, whereas in film and books, character is handled with kid gloves. Ultimately, if you want to be serious about narrative, you have to be serious about character too.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Ghostlight posted:

It depends on what you didn't like about 2070.

Xaris posted:

I mean it depends on what you didn't like about 2070. Could be the aesthetic?

This is why I'm playing 2070 again, because it's been forever and a day since I played it, and I'm not really sure why I ultimately dropped it.

Like, I'm beginning to think (as I continue to play the campaign) that the issue is that the game fails to tell me why supply chains are failing and how to resolve them.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

2205 abstracts out all the shipping management so it does a lot better in that regard because it will just straight-up tell you how many units below production/consumption you are and display them in red. On the flipside, you don't get to design elegant shipping solutions because any deficit that arises is strictly one of supply and demand rather than logistics.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Yaws posted:

Aim better and dodge?
If you can't manage to kill Mom, just keep trying until you're good enough to do this. Once you are, grab this mod http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=836319872
The reason you have to kill Mom first is because you can't unlock anything with mods enabled until you've at least done that. I might be wrong and you have to also kill Mom's Heart but this is the baseline difficulty of what you need to do in the game, thus why it unlocks mod support. If you can't do that, you really do just have to get better and keep trying. RNG is a fucker but not enough of one that killing Mom's Heart is impossible on each run.

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

Hey guys am I missing something here or does Mad Max seriously not have a loving car horn button
They used up all the buttons a console controller can give you on other functionality. Thank consoles for ruining yet another game for PC players!

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 14, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Roguelikes are always about dying til you get good at not dying.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
Anyone played 3030 DEATHWAR Redux?
It's coming out of EA soon. It looks like a 2d RPG elite dangerous.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Turd Herder posted:

Holy poo poo I forgot that I owned this and that it was Early Access. It was an alright game but didn't offer much in varietal gameplay back in *looks up date* May of 2016. I'll hop back in once it's done, though!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Turd Herder posted:

Woah this looks hella fresh, I'm going to buy it.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Yep. It was supposed to be a derisive term coined by tryhard "gamers" to insult the genre after Dear Ester won over critics in the game media, then the community decided 'ehhh, gently caress that, let's just lean into it'

Essentially the core gameplay is "hold W while a really great story unfolds via audio and level design" and they are failstate-free (no falling off cliffs or locked doors). They're essentially really-well-animated visual novels, and the very best are jaw-droppingly good and make you think and feel in a way very little else does. I put Edith Finch at #2 all-time, after the utterly transcendent The Beginner's Guide.

Caveat: only buy them on sale or for less than $10, because they tend short (~3 hours on average) and little replayability.

That sounds interesting sometimes you don't have time to play a whole long game. I will try out Dear Esther first since I already own it.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Yaws posted:

Aim better and dodge?

Take chances on locked chests even if you're low on keys. Sometimes they contain a key or two and it's just free stuff. Same for bomb chests. Keep at least one key for the item room.

Also try to find the secret rooms because they usually have enough gold to buy good stuff at the shop or sometimes there are good items inside. Sometimes they're poo poo.

And look up items on the wiki if you can't figure out what they do. Once you know what a lot of items do you'll know better to avoid certain ones and combine others.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
BoI tips:

Keys are important and so are soul hearts. Do whatever you need to get both and DON'T WASTE THAT poo poo - aka don't go opening every golden chest or store unless you have 15 coins or taking damage on completely avoidable stuff.

Soul hearts are important because if you don't take red heart damage you get a Devil Deal after a boss, and Devil Deals have broken-rear end powerups in them. Yeah, you need to sacrifice permanent health for it but if you get a good deal you're not gonna be taking damage anyway (Brimstone is a win button and so are Guppy items if you get three of them). Learn how to identify tinted rocks because they give out both keys AND soul hearts if you blow them up. They look off-color and have a mark on them, it's pretty easy to pick them out on the first couple of levels.

Secret rooms are a good use of your spare bombs. They're usually surrounded by other rooms and technically reachable by any of them without flight/more bombs. Basically, if a room has a big hole/pile of rocks in front of where a secret room could be, you can safely assume there's no secret room there. Secret rooms give you a bunch of coins and sometimes other items (and sometimes nothing but hey RNG is a bitch).

Learn your items, go to http://platinumgod.co.uk/ if you need a cheat sheet. I value damage, flight and mapping above everything else. Soy Milk sucks, My Reflection sucks, Ipecac is good but you're gonna kill yourself, Tiny Planet is horrendous and I hate it.

You beat Gurdy by baiting her shot and moving diagonally to the next wall. You beat Rag Man by shooting his head and his spiders first. You beat Mom by baiting her stomp (or using The Bible on her). You don't really beat The Bloat so just give up.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Killed By Death posted:

This is from a day or so ago but it's really funny to me so here you are.

the project team might've thought it was a badass, and it might've come across as monkey being a fuckass instead, but i mean in the book monkey is a rat bastard

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Ghostlight posted:

2205 abstracts out all the shipping management so it does a lot better in that regard because it will just straight-up tell you how many units below production/consumption you are and display them in red. On the flipside, you don't get to design elegant shipping solutions because any deficit that arises is strictly one of supply and demand rather than logistics.

I think I might like 2205, then, because after a bit more playing of 2070 I feel like I'm simply not being taught the basic core verbs of the game's logistical system (As I said in the dragging-down thread, I was just literally dumped into the trade route menu with absolutely no instruction how to do what I'm supposed to do, much less what I'm supposed to do it other than 'deliver food to ~something~').

It's frustrating because I'd rather play peaceful-business kinda of game at the moment, but every one is either a combat game underneath, or it's as clear as mud. Maybe I'll try Offworld Trading Company...

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

MisterBibs posted:

It's frustrating because I'd rather play peaceful-business kinda of game at the moment, but every one is either a combat game underneath, or it's as clear as mud. Maybe I'll try Offworld Trading Company...

One option is the Port Royale or Patrician games, pure trading sims set in the Caribbean or Hanseatic, respectively. You can run afoul of pirates if you don't form convoys for defense but I think that's an option you can straight turn off when starting a new game. There's also Big Pharma if you'd rather puzzle out drug compositions and assembly lines than supply lines.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Take every pill early on in BoI. Better to ID the bad pills first and fix the damage with items later. If you're really desperate, you can hold on to a Bad Trip pill until you've got 1 heart left.

Take all the goddamn pills.

Waffle! fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 14, 2017

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Ulio posted:

That sounds interesting sometimes you don't have time to play a whole long game. I will try out Dear Esther first since I already own it.

Do note, Dear Esther is the progenitor of the genre, so there is some jankiness before the Stanley Parable and Gone Home guys came along and perfected it. It has some issues, mainly with a lot of bullshit "well why can't I step over this knee-length thing" and "why do I walk so slow" but it is still just fantastic and haunting and does some stuff to increase replayability.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 14, 2017

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

There's a free walking sim out there. Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist
http://store.steampowered.com/app/409160/

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Do note, Dear Esther is the progenitor of the genre, so there is some jankiness before the Stanley Parable and Gone Home guys came along and perfected it. It has some issues, mainly with a lot of bullshit "well why can't I step over this knee-length thing" and "why do I walk so slow" but it is still just fantastic and haunting and does some stuff to increase replayability.

There's also something to be said for Dear Esther being more of a mood piece rather than a full narrative experience.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

SelenicMartian posted:

There's a free walking sim out there. Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist
http://store.steampowered.com/app/409160/

Dr. Langeskov is fun and pretty good, but it skews much more to the Stanley Parable side of "what is a game? is this a game? metanarratives are cRaZy, huh?" side of things, so if you're not up for a side of nigh-masturbatory navel-gazing with your walking, just try and ignore that part.

John Murdoch posted:

There's also something to be said for Dear Esther being more of a mood piece rather than a full narrative experience.
That too.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Ghostlight posted:

2205 was actually a decent idea and I didn't mind the lack of logistics because you had to juggle resources between the regions.

What brings the game down is the fact that the game just ends once you finally get a grip on how things work. "Oh boy, I can't wait to use my newfound knowledge in Mission 2... Wait, what do you mean the game is over?"

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yeah, outside of like two or three achievements that require you to play a certain way, once you finish the licensing missions you're basically done unless you want to chill out and just build out. I've spent a good amount of time just doing that, but because there's nothing particular to aim for other than "have a shitload of people" it feels quite empty even on the hardest difficulty with pirates loving up your towns every five minutes while you juggle financial takeovers because building out is just a case of making some houses, building the production chains to meet their needs, upgrade them, build those production chains, make more houses etc.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Was browsing the specials section and found this little game called Lost Technology. It immediately reminded me of something like Dragon Force, which I always wanted to play, mixed with something like Dominions 4 so I bought it immediately.

https://my.mixtape.moe/glgzbe.webm
You can watch the AI play the game, which I did for this clip. Otherwise I would have had to control all that nonsense in Total War style gameplay.

And... well, this is one of the most bizarre Steam releases I have ever seen. Turns out that the game's translation was first announced in 2015 and finally brought over but only with 3 faction campaigns translated (out of like 11 playable ones or something?) with the rest of them supposed to "come as DLC" IF the game does well. The game seems to be one of those obtuse and absurdly deep games where every unit has a shitload of stats and abilites (hence the Dominions comparison), the tutorial references a manual that is not yet translated to english and thus unreadable and the UI is about as user-friendly as a floppy disk in a bucket of cold piss. If the devs are to be believed though each campaign should be 20+ hours long so you could say it's a lot of content for a dirt cheap game?

From what little I played it seems fun but I have no idea what to think. They really started translating the game, realized it was a ton of work and decided to put it out just to see if it was worth finishing the job. Considering the whole "3 campaigns" thing is buried deep in the game's description it kind of feels shady but I guess it's worth the money considering you CAN play all factions just without their respective plots? How much will DLC even be? How long would it take? Will they finish the manual? Why do they say it's ok to mod the game but then another post also mentions they removed the mod function because of "copyright issues"? What a weird loving thing. I guess give it a try if you like the concept but be aware that your burger money is going to a game that by some metrics could be labeled Early Access.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
So it's not on Steam yet but I have a bunch of mates talking up Escape from the Bronx Tarkov.
Gameplay looks fine, raids and stuff sound neat, the whole gun:spergin: interests me but... the rest of the game sounds like a F2P. You die you lose everything. Unless you spend more than $45 and get some kind of special box that you keep what's in it when you die, and the more you spend the bigger the box is. Also the more you spend the bigger your stash is so least having to grind weapons back.
Or am I just being a party pooper and even with a loot stash and whatnot it's more of a PUGB loot situation?

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Det_no posted:

...the tutorial references a manual that is not yet translated to english and thus unreadable and the UI is about as user-friendly as a floppy disk in a bucket of cold piss. If the devs are to be believed though each campaign should be 20+ hours long so you could say it's a lot of content for a dirt cheap game?

I played the game a couple of days ago and didn't feel like a manual was strictly necessary, at least not unless you want to get really deep into the mechanics or maybe in order to survive at the hardest difficulty level. I do agree that the interface isn't too kind, although I've certainly seen worse from new and old games.

They did mention only 3 campaigns have been translated in their announcements from before the release, so I wouldn't call it shady by Steam standards. For lack of a better description, I feel this is closer to "full game, partial localization" than what "Early Access" normally implies. On a related note, I think they were talking about it being OK to make fan content.

It is a weird way to release a game, that can't really be disputed, but I've enjoyed it so far. Hopefully they are being realistic about sales expectations. This is the sort of title that would get a lot more love if the Steam store wasn't so drat crowded.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Croccers posted:

So it's not on Steam yet but I have a bunch of mates talking up Escape from the Bronx Tarkov.
Gameplay looks fine, raids and stuff sound neat, the whole gun:spergin: interests me but... the rest of the game sounds like a F2P. You die you lose everything. Unless you spend more than $45 and get some kind of special box that you keep what's in it when you die, and the more you spend the bigger the box is. Also the more you spend the bigger your stash is so least having to grind weapons back.
Or am I just being a party pooper and even with a loot stash and whatnot it's more of a PUGB loot situation?

It's skating around a weird P2W area. It's fundamentally P2W because the higher tier packages give you starting gear that can be difficult-ish to get out of a match. But if you lose all your fancy real money guns because you're a dumbass, you're not getting any more unless you completely destroy all your account progress, something you can only do infrequently and might not stick around for full release. Ultimately it's a very Russian setup, and while it doesn't really bother me due to how effective even the 'bad' pistols are and those are easy to get.

The actual problem with EFT right now is that it's hosed beyond playability, so I wouldn't worry about it either way.

E: To clarify, once the game is released the base package will only come with a few pistols and that's it, there won't be higher packages. Additionally you'll be able to purchase the loot saving containers, and expand stash without paying real money (aside from the B2P price.) This is all provided they actually managed everything they talk about and fix all the problems, which right now looks, questionable.

Orv fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Aug 14, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

wielder posted:

I played the game a couple of days ago and didn't feel like a manual was strictly necessary, at least not unless you want to get really deep into the mechanics or maybe in order to survive at the hardest difficulty level. I do agree that the interface isn't too kind, although I've certainly seen worse from new and old games.

They did mention only 3 campaigns have been translated in their announcements from before the release, so I wouldn't call it shady by Steam standards. For lack of a better description, I feel this is closer to "full game, partial localization" than what "Early Access" normally implies. On a related note, I think they were talking about it being OK to make fan content.

It is a weird way to release a game, that can't really be disputed, but I've enjoyed it so far. Hopefully they are being realistic about sales expectations. This is the sort of title that would get a lot more love if the Steam store wasn't so drat crowded.

Yeah. I'm honestly happy with what I got, considering the pricepoint - I won't ever be great at this game, but it's neat to play.

Also tossing a few dollars at something to encourage them to translate more of it for those who really, really want it feels good. :)

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Playing GOLF on my stream over the next few hours, except for when I make a steak.

Watch it and then buy it because apparently GOLF 2 sucks a bit. The link is in my profile.

Yes this is what i do instead of pinball now.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
What, spamming the thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Yo guys watch me post