Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I like everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Woo page 200. :w00t:

We're like one week away when a month has passed since release, and we still haven't seen a new stage. (If you don't count Twilight Zone Shifty Stations.) They sure are taking their time.

No. 1 Callie Fan fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 13, 2017

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Man I love having to wait for ages to get games at S+ rank. Even better when they end in a 30 second stomp or something.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Ok how can you be a level 50 S+ rank and only manage 3 splats in a game

Dewp
Sep 3, 2009

satisfaction

Frankston posted:

Probably passed out from splatoon exhaustion.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Frankston posted:

Playing with one hand to see if they still feel

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Rexroom posted:

We're like one week away when a month has passed since release, and we still haven't seen a new stage. (If you don't count Twilight Zone Shifty Stations.) They sure are taking their time.

Yeah, was just was just wondering about this.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Bill Barber posted:

What is it with people being scared of ranked mode in this game?

Honestly, the 'ranked' name. It evokes things like Overwatch and Heroes of the Storm, where the ranked queues are... not that friendly, shall we say.

In other news: does anyone have either documentation of the authentication for the app or a 'rebroadcast' of the schedule information from it? I wanna make weird interfaces to it!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's only like a week ago that Turf War stopped being by far my favourite mode in either Splatoon game. Turf War rules hard

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I agree, they should have a ranked version.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Invalid Validation posted:

I agree, they should have a ranked version.

Splat Zones is basically ranked Turf War

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Splat Zones when Moray Towers is in the rotation (ie now) is basically the ideal time to go and dip your toe back into Turf War for a while

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Ranked is awful in general right now

"Oh cool, two brellas on my team, guess we'll just lose again"

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Frankston posted:

Man I love having to wait for ages to get games at S+ rank. Even better when they end in a 30 second stomp or something.

You are in the elite, baby

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
It took me way too long for me to realize the swinging sign in the middle of the Shipyard Splatzone is almost designed for a Sprinkler.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Personally I get way more annoyed at the octo brush than I do the trick slosher. It feels like it's pointless to use the ink brush, since the octo brush hits farther and kills faster. Also feels really weird that the melee weapon has longer range than some guns.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Have they announced the new Splatfest yet?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
joke answer: Raspberry jam vs blueberry jam

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Have they announced the new Splatfest yet?

Probably wont until next week.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

Keiya posted:

Honestly, the 'ranked' name. It evokes things like Overwatch and Heroes of the Storm, where the ranked queues are... not that friendly, shall we say.

yeah, i can vouch for how bad overwatch got. i peaked at mid-masters (3790sr), wanted to get to grandmaster this season, but it really started to grate on me on how mad everyone would get. i actually stopped after playing with someone on my friends list, i picked another hero other than my main (ana at 170 hours, more than every other hero combined, but im still a pretty decent all-rounder at everything else), we got trounced pretty badly and he said angrily in voicechat, "shouldnt have expected much from an anabot". something snapped in my head, i quit the game and havent loaded it since

i still think its a fun game but its just been ruined for me thanks to these people who keep gettin mad at videogames. rip my gold biotic rifle, gold rocket launcher and gold machine pistol

anyways you dont really have that problem in ranked thanks to no voice chat but i still do get jittery just cause of how super intense it can get. maybe i will start splatting that zone, controlling that tower or raining that maker, i dunno yet, i play games to relax, salmon run might be on when i get home from work today and nothing is more relaxing than aiming a stingray down a rush of salmonids during a glowfly event

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
Turf War sucks.

Ranked sucks even more.

Salmon run is good.

Fite me irl.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I dig the new Rainmaker as grenade launcher. Just played several rounds on Starfish and it was cool and fun. NZap rules

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Smiles posted:

yeah, i can vouch for how bad overwatch got. i peaked at mid-masters (3790sr), wanted to get to grandmaster this season, but it really started to grate on me on how mad everyone would get. i actually stopped after playing with someone on my friends list, i picked another hero other than my main (ana at 170 hours, more than every other hero combined, but im still a pretty decent all-rounder at everything else), we got trounced pretty badly and he said angrily in voicechat, "shouldnt have expected much from an anabot". something snapped in my head, i quit the game and havent loaded it since

i still think its a fun game but its just been ruined for me thanks to these people who keep gettin mad at videogames. rip my gold biotic rifle, gold rocket launcher and gold machine pistol

anyways you dont really have that problem in ranked thanks to no voice chat but i still do get jittery just cause of how super intense it can get. maybe i will start splatting that zone, controlling that tower or raining that maker, i dunno yet, i play games to relax, salmon run might be on when i get home from work today and nothing is more relaxing than aiming a stingray down a rush of salmonids during a glowfly event

What the heck is an anabot, or do I even want to know?

Sorry you had a crappy experience. :( Oftentimes I am very glad Splatoon doesn't have global voice chat.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Tales from S+ Rainmaker

First game - Reasonable matched, fun, win.
Second game - Reasonably matched, fun, loss.

Third game - Go to center to contest rainmaker, teammates conspicuously absent on the opening push? forced to fall back, get flanked, die. They keep us on the defense and we lose.

Repeat several times with a few (worsening) caveats until Ranked down to S, in which people play the objective again?

:psyduck:

Is there some like, ultra high tier tech in which instead of attacking the rainmaker, everyone tries to flank instead and nothing is accomplished?

Night Blade fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 14, 2017

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Of course you dont know, YOU dont know because only I know

Grimey Drawer
Ranked mode in C- is insanely cool and good. Anything can and will happen. Rules, goals, and earning points are inscrutable mysteries. If you are nervous about playing ranked, just let go and dive in. Desquidize yourself and face to inkshed.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Night Blade posted:

Is there some like, ultra high tier tech in which instead of attacking the rainmaker, everyone tries to flank instead and nothing is accomplished?
Not particularly, but if you can wipe their entire team while they're busy trying to break the shield you can quick rush to the finish depending on the map. Also if your teammates engage everyone in firefights and distract them you can take the Rainmaker unnoticed. The actual breaking of the shield is pretty unimportant, and you should really focus your initial attack on the other team while they're busy focused on it.

Check out this cool game that lasted about 15 seconds (honestly surprised they even got 4 kills somehow) where we barely fought them at all and I just snuck behind with the Rainmaker while they were so focused on the mid.

e: upon further inspection the stats from that match are weird. Does anyone know what's going on here or can we just chalk it up to some sort of weird glitch? It looks like the 2 assists are counted as kills as well? I guess that would explain it.

Bill Barber fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 14, 2017

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Had a Splat Zone match today on Moray Towers where the other team made it all the way to four seconds left, but we managed to take control, force overtime, and win it 97-96. It was pretty much the greatest game of ranked I've ever played in either this game or the first one.

Many booyahs were shouted at the end of that match!

PS Last-Ditch Effort is the greatest in ranked

Edit:

I looked and I didn't even have Last-Ditch Effort equipped during this match lol

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 14, 2017

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Night Blade posted:

I assume they're trying to boost they're trying to boost their k/d so that the gain more than one rank at a time when the bar fills?
And it's worth the risk of dropping a rank to do so once you're S+. So the high risk, high reward aspect incentivizes suboptimal play?

I'm just guessing here.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bill Barber posted:

Not particularly, but if you can wipe their entire team while they're busy trying to break the shield you can quick rush to the finish depending on the map. Also if your teammates engage everyone in firefights and distract them you can take the Rainmaker unnoticed. The actual breaking of the shield is pretty unimportant, and you should really focus your initial attack on the other team while they're busy focused on it.

Check out this cool game that lasted about 15 seconds (honestly surprised they even got 4 kills somehow) where we barely fought them at all and I just snuck behind with the Rainmaker while they were so focused on the mid.

e: upon further inspection the stats from that match are weird. Does anyone know what's going on here or can we just chalk it up to some sort of weird glitch? It looks like the 2 assists are counted as kills as well? I guess that would explain it.

The number is Kills + Assists, so Nightshade killed your teammates with assists from Heber and Triforce

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah it makes sense now. At first I only saw our team as having 1 death instead of 2 and thought it was weirdly counting destroying the rainmaker shield as a kill or something goofy like that.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Kudos to the Brella who kept shielding me from attacks in turf wars. That was awesome.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

DalaranJ posted:

I assume they're trying to boost they're trying to boost their k/d so that the gain more than one rank at a time when the bar fills?
And it's worth the risk of dropping a rank to do so once you're S+. So the high risk, high reward aspect incentivizes suboptimal play?

I'm just guessing here.

At S+, how much your rank increases depends on the numbers other people have in the lobby. Pretty much every single S+, no matter what their number is, is thrown in the blender in that rank. So boosting kills wouldn't work.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

DalaranJ posted:

I'm just guessing here.

It's just I'm better shooting, some scrub can actually grab the rainmaker and sit back

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Brellas are actually secretly v good

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
I'm struggling to wrap my head around motion controls as it's pretty clear they're vastly superior to right stick aiming if you master them. Any tips on sensitivity settings for portable/controller mode, or general nuances to the control? Should I be using Y for larger camera swings or relying on the right stick?

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

I'm struggling to wrap my head around motion controls as it's pretty clear they're vastly superior to right stick aiming if you master them. Any tips on sensitivity settings for portable/controller mode, or general nuances to the control? Should I be using Y for larger camera swings or relying on the right stick?

Rely on the stick for large movements, pair the stick with motion for 180 degree turns. Use motion controls for fine aiming. You still use the stick a lot.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
You can test the sensitivity in the square with regards to turning quickly. Won't give you real battle conditions, but at least you can get a feel for what works.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

I started with motion controls set to -3 and gradually adjusted back towards 0 as I was getting used to it.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Smiles posted:

I absoultely hate rank and find it stressful and anger inducing just because of the constant risk of losing rank and any exp/cash from knockouts.
ironically the only time im an idiot yelling about my teamates is when i don't have voicechat, since i have a hard time getting angry at people when i actually talk to them, and they arent just 3 game characters on my side that get wiped every so often.

agreed that salmon run is chill though. Lose on wave one, even lose rank? no biggie, shoot ill gladly play with squids lower rank then me to help them. gonna get that superbonus regardless of what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Sensitivity settings will depend on the weapon you use the most. Long range weapons like squelchers and chargers feel pretty good at -2.5 motion to me, while the default -1 feels pretty good for close-range weapons like the splattershot.

A lot of people will suggest you treat the controller like a school bus steering wheel to aim, and while it's a useful analogy, I like to think of it as a pointer that you aim with both hands. Use your wrists for the fastest and most precise results.

You might also try playing with the joycons detached. Some people here swear by it.