Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mega64 posted:

I like everything.

Surely not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wait is higher numbers on sensitivity mean you need to move the controller more or less

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

In Training posted:

Wait is higher numbers on sensitivity mean you need to move the controller more or less

Less

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Okay, there's not covering someone when they're Superjumping to you - sure, you need to move that's fine - but there's also waiting at the Superjump spot while Tentamissles are targeting you so I get splatted when I land. That is the most unhelpful thing possible.

Night Blade posted:

Tales from S+ Rainmaker

First game - Reasonable matched, fun, win.
Second game - Reasonably matched, fun, loss.

Third game - Go to center to contest rainmaker, teammates conspicuously absent on the opening push? forced to fall back, get flanked, die. They keep us on the defense and we lose.

Repeat several times with a few (worsening) caveats until Ranked down to S, in which people play the objective again?

:psyduck:

Is there some like, ultra high tier tech in which instead of attacking the rainmaker, everyone tries to flank instead and nothing is accomplished?

People are less likely to grab the Rainmaker the higher in Rank you go, and everything tends to get more defensive too. Someone will normally eventually pick it up, but a lot of the people who are high rank are generally good with their weapon. Rainmaker in particular messes with that the most, so people don't like picking it up. Tower Control also sucks for short range weapons, unless you get really used to jumping off the Tower to splat people, and Chargers love their perches.

I normally go Dapple Dualies/Krak-on Splat Roller for the Beakons so I normally set up first, and I just constantly bring the map up to track what's happening and pay attention to who gets splatted. Once I'm set up though, I'm fully committed to being the only person on the Tower/Rainmaker and acting as reckless as necessary.

Curious to see future Brella sets though. I've been playing it exclusively since it came out and having fun with it, managing not to drop out of S+ while learning it.

The Brella itself is ridiculous for defending the Tower, although it's more of a waiting game for a teammate to splat someone for you depending on the weapon. It can also protect you from the Rainmaker Shield burst, and if the Rainmaker shot hits the Brella it doesn't explode which can save teammates around you. Sprinkler is nice for Splat Zones, but it also helps charge Ink Storm. Ink Storm is great for flushing out Chargers, and having it travel slightly ahead of the Tower or Rainmaker is really useful and will Splat people every so often. It's actually got really great potential, but other then going after people in an Ink Storm it's not very offensive.

edit: Just had a match where the opposing team broke the Rainmaker, never picked it up, and it managed to reset??? How.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 14, 2017

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Wait -1 means I have to move the controller less meaning it's a higher sensitivity? drat I've been loving up. That's what happens when you don't read the instructions I guess.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

JackDarko posted:

Wait -1 means I have to move the controller less meaning it's a higher sensitivity? drat I've been loving up. That's what happens when you don't read the instructions I guess.

No -1 is less sensitive, you need to move it more.

greasynig
Aug 14, 2017

fun game i like it a lot. keep it up nintendo!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Higher numbers = higher sensitivity = faster turning but have to be more accurate

lower numbers = lower sensitivity = easier to be accurate shooting but your max turn speed is lower so you can get ambushed

1 to 1.5 seems like a good place to be to me.

If somebody comes up behind you its probably best to squid and try to get behind them rather than try to turn around and shoot them before they finish splatting you.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

What the heck is an anabot, or do I even want to know?

to be honest there could be worse insults, he just meant that the hero i mained most, ana, was the only hero i was good at, even though i also play a mean pharah and soldier 76. which was another annoying thing i found with overwatch, people can mouse over your profile to see which hero you play most, and if you play anyone that you havent got a lot of hours in, you might get accused of throwing the game and get reported if you dont switch heroes.

im glad theres none of that in splatoon, once youve spawned in a match, you gotta work with whatever your teams got. yeah thats right, i brought an aerospray into tower control, sorry buddy but youre stuck with me for the next five minutes, stop flopping angrily at me and lets go win this thing

Tengames posted:

agreed that salmon run is chill though. Lose on wave one, even lose rank? no biggie, shoot ill gladly play with squids lower rank then me to help them. gonna get that superbonus regardless of what happens.

yeah i can only lol as my teammates all get stingered and flyfished to death as a maw bites off my legs, ill be back next shift

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's something to be said for the short duration of matches and the fluid ranking system to make losses less rage-inducing. Chances are you'll forget all about them by the time the next match starts.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Night Blade posted:

Is there some like, ultra high tier tech in which instead of attacking the rainmaker, everyone tries to flank instead and nothing is accomplished?

Holy poo poo, this. I see it in tower control too. Worst example I can give is when I was waiting to respawn, the other team were wiped, and the three other guys on my team were all standing around the tower but none of them got on it, instead they pushed towards the enemy spawn where they died.

S+ is loving dumb.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

The Bloop posted:

Surely not

hosed up but true.

Even Morey Towers!

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Got a pair of 3-slotted headphones with ink saver (main) x 3 completely naturally and it felt really good. I'm thinking I might add a slot to it and get a 4th ink saver later at some point. Are chunks the only way to guarantee what ability you'll get? I haven't looked into drinks yet but they seem a bit too rng for my tastes.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Got a pair of 3-slotted headphones with ink saver (main) x 3 completely naturally and it felt really good. I'm thinking I might add a slot to it and get a 4th ink saver later at some point. Are chunks the only way to guarantee what ability you'll get? I haven't looked into drinks yet but they seem a bit too rng for my tastes.

Drinks give 1.5x chance to get the ability so it's still a crapshoot.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Smiles posted:

yeah, i can vouch for how bad overwatch got. i peaked at mid-masters (3790sr), wanted to get to grandmaster this season, but it really started to grate on me on how mad everyone would get. i actually stopped after playing with someone on my friends list, i picked another hero other than my main (ana at 170 hours, more than every other hero combined, but im still a pretty decent all-rounder at everything else), we got trounced pretty badly and he said angrily in voicechat, "shouldnt have expected much from an anabot". something snapped in my head, i quit the game and havent loaded it since

I'm very average at shooters but I played season 1/2 and got Plat playing only Torb, and on Overbuff I was one of the top 500 Torb players ranking-wise. I'd get some complainers here and there but it was pretty easy to ignore. I tried to play a few games last month and the instant I picked Torb I would have the entire team mic yelling at me or just picking all snipers because "if you're throwing, I will too." I used to play Torb on offense and now I literally can't because people will straight-up just quit the game. I also play an extensive amount of DotA2 and the Overwatch community is way way way way way worse, I played for three days before uninstalling.

Now I'm grinding my ranking in PUBG and am considering picking up Splatoon2 so I can have a nice low-stress game where I can ink on some nerdlets in an emotional safe space

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Yes, but you can overwrite any (non-primary) slot with chunks even if it's filled up, so try a drink and don't panic/reroll if you don't get ink saver. Just get the chunks from other gear and overwrite the slot. Now, whether or not it will cost 10 chunks and not like 30, I dunno... haven't been that strong in the chunk game yet!

Tengames posted:

I absoultely hate rank and find it stressful and anger inducing just because of the constant risk of losing rank and any exp/cash from knockouts.
ironically the only time im an idiot yelling about my teamates is when i don't have voicechat, since i have a hard time getting angry at people when i actually talk to them, and they arent just 3 game characters on my side that get wiped every so often.

agreed that salmon run is chill though. Lose on wave one, even lose rank? no biggie, shoot ill gladly play with squids lower rank then me to help them. gonna get that superbonus regardless of what happens.

I usually don't go for PvP in games like this because I'm hyper-competitive to the point where I'm probably afraid to lose and unconfident in my ability to perform for a team, but I realized that ranked mode (sans league battle) is just a dice roll for everyone involved, and it doesn't really matter all that much. As long as I play the point and play smart, I don't care if I win or lose, but I'm not immune to a little rage... like someone who's A+ bringing a charger into two games in a row and getting 0 splats, or people who still, in rank S Rainmaker games, grab the rainmaker in The Reef and go the worst route with it... I think I'm doubling back on myself here. What I meant to say is ranked mode is fine until your rank bar gets that third crack, then all bets are off.

enojy fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Aug 14, 2017

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

pichupal posted:

People are less likely to grab the Rainmaker the higher in Rank you go, and everything tends to get more defensive too.

I'm in S in RM and I just started grabbing the drat thing at the start even though I usually use a Jet Squelcher because I get impatient. Fortunately people actually start playing the objective once someone grabs it. A lot of the best plays I've seen in higher ranks is when someone is super aggressive and doesn't play the waiting game at the start

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

enojy posted:

Yes, but you can overwrite any (non-primary) slot with chunks even if it's filled up, so try a drink and don't panic/reroll if you don't get ink saver. Just get the chunks from other gear and overwrite the slot. Now, whether or not it will cost 10 chunks and not like 30, I dunno... haven't been that strong in the chunk game yet!

It costs 30 chunks to add a 3rd duplicate ability to a piece of gear.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Smiles posted:

to be honest there could be worse insults, he just meant that the hero i mained most, ana, was the only hero i was good at, even though i also play a mean pharah and soldier 76. which was another annoying thing i found with overwatch, people can mouse over your profile to see which hero you play most, and if you play anyone that you havent got a lot of hours in, you might get accused of throwing the game and get reported if you dont switch heroes.

im glad theres none of that in splatoon, once youve spawned in a match, you gotta work with whatever your teams got. yeah thats right, i brought an aerospray into tower control, sorry buddy but youre stuck with me for the next five minutes, stop flopping angrily at me and lets go win this thing

What the gently caress?

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I'm very average at shooters but I played season 1/2 and got Plat playing only Torb, and on Overbuff I was one of the top 500 Torb players ranking-wise. I'd get some complainers here and there but it was pretty easy to ignore. I tried to play a few games last month and the instant I picked Torb I would have the entire team mic yelling at me or just picking all snipers because "if you're throwing, I will too." I used to play Torb on offense and now I literally can't because people will straight-up just quit the game. I also play an extensive amount of DotA2 and the Overwatch community is way way way way way worse, I played for three days before uninstalling.

Now I'm grinding my ranking in PUBG and am considering picking up Splatoon2 so I can have a nice low-stress game where I can ink on some nerdlets in an emotional safe space

What the gently caress?!

OK, thanks to you two, I no longer wish people could change their weapon after seeing what their teammates are using. Sure it leads to poo poo like all Aerosprays against weapons with actual range but at least it doesn't allow for poo poo like that! You are well rid of that game and its lovely community.

Goddamn I have a bad taste in my mouth now.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The Overwatch community sucks, I don't even start it up unless I'm about to queue up with at least two friends

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Having a 20 sec grace period to switch weapons before a Ranked game begins would be really welcome imo, going into matches blind is the thing putting me off using chargers because I hate the idea of lumbering a team with two chargers

Dr Cheeto posted:

The Overwatch community sucks, I don't even start it up unless I'm about to queue up with at least two friends
Overwatch is really fun if you just go into the options and disable pretty much every form of comms and treat it like a Nintendo game, you can get by pretty well in <=Gold SR/quick play with the premade voice callouts (i'm now imagining reaper saying "booyah")

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Bill Barber posted:

You can test the sensitivity in the square with regards to turning quickly. Won't give you real battle conditions, but at least you can get a feel for what works.

You can actually change your sensitivity in the weapon testing area too! It's an option that shows up while the weapon menu is open.

I missed it until I had already played with the settings enough, but it's probably the best place to get a feel for it since you can use actual weapons there.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Cat Machine posted:

Having a 20 sec grace period to switch weapons before a Ranked game begins would be really welcome imo, going into matches blind is the thing putting me off using chargers because I hate the idea of lumbering a team with two chargers

Probably confirmation bias but I think there's a matchmaking algorithm so that's it goes for 1 charger per team because I think I've only seen more than 1 charger on my or the enemy's team like twice

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Tri slosher is ruining ranked for me

Tower control - no one can get on the tower because a bucket is making GBS threads ink at anyone who tries to land there

Splatzones - ink coverage and ink armour are excellent

Rain maker - pops the bubble extremely fast, defends extremely well.

I just lose the motivation to play ranked as soon as I see a bucket making GBS threads all over my team.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Anidav posted:

Tri slosher is ruining ranked for me

Tower control - no one can get on the tower because a bucket is making GBS threads ink at anyone who tries to land there

Splatzones - ink coverage and ink armour are excellent

Rain maker - pops the bubble extremely fast, defends extremely well.

I just lose the motivation to play ranked as soon as I see a bucket making GBS threads all over my team.
git gud scrub

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Tri-Slosher is strong but using it as an excuse for your losses is absurd, the guy earlier ITT saying he won't play Ranked until they nerf it is a big wimp imo

The vast majority of my kills in this game come from getting the jump on other players, I feel like getting good at maneuvering, positioning and knowing when a fight is going to be in your favour is several orders of magnitude more important than the gun you have

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Only legitimate excuse for your loss streak is popping a meal/drink ticket

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

If you use anything with decent range/accuracy, tri-sloshers can be pretty gimped as long as you don't do the thing where you rush in to the objective. NZap, squelcher dualies, blaster, and regular squelcher come to mind.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Cat Machine posted:

Overwatch is really fun if you just go into the options and disable pretty much every form of comms and treat it like a Nintendo game, you can get by pretty well in <=Gold SR/quick play with the premade voice callouts (i'm now imagining reaper saying "booyah")

I just don't see the point, man, even if nobody can verbally abuse you they're still gonna throw the game if someone dares to pick Sombra or whatever. It's good if you're with people who you can rely on or commiserate with but I can't imagine having fun solo queueing in that game anymore.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah the weapon based matchmaking seems to work, after the first week (and barring new weapon weekends where everybody uses the new hotness) I would guess about 90% of my ranked matches had one tri slosher on each side, because I use it and too many buckets makes the match weird

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Not a Children posted:

If you use anything with decent range/accuracy, tri-sloshers can be pretty gimped as long as you don't do the thing where you rush in to the objective. NZap, squelcher dualies, blaster, and regular squelcher come to mind.

i thought the n-zap had the same range as the tri-slosher - face to face it always ends up in a kill trade for me unless someone has ink armor up.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Nah man gently caress the buckets.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

If you see a bucket and they see you, you don't need to fight. You're allowed to just swim away and do something else. In every single weapon weapon matchup you need to ask yourself if you outrange them and if they see you. If your answer to the first is No, your answer to the latter better be No too - otherwise, run.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Cat Machine posted:

Or just play Mystery Heroes all the time like me

I want Nintendo to put the same mode in this game. Every time you die, you respawn with a different weapon. It'd be fun!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Yeah I would love to aim properly and use a weapon that outranges them but the bucket shits out a wall of ink that obscures the opponents character model and then they squid swim up from their ink wall and splash you.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Astroniomix posted:

It costs 30 chunks to add a 3rd duplicate ability to a piece of gear.

Ouch...suddenly drinks sound good. Off to Grizzco.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Gusher Rounds, however, are a wretched crapshoot. Chances are you're gonna spend far too long looking for the loving thing, even if you know that it's the gusher height (not the brightness) that denotes how close you are.

god dammit
Why do we still get mistranslations that are completely wrong in 2017?

bizarre deformity posted:

I held off on ranked until yesterday for some weird reason but anyway Ranked rules although I still don't like Splat Zones very much.

Btw the amiibo unlock music after you hit a certain level (20?) so now I have most of the songs from the first game unlocked which owns.

Oh, so the amiibo can do things other than saving loadouts? I just figured that since people whined so much about the single player challenges tied the amiibos in S1 that they decided gently caress it, we'll make them practically useless this time.

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 14, 2017

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
It's not gusher height that determines the goldie

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dragon enthusiast posted:

It's not gusher height that determines the goldie

Yes it very much is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Yup the higher the gusher goes the closer you are to Goldie. It's also why Goldie gushes out the highest.