Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
EDIT: Update on previous page.

Look at all you short sighted chumps planning ship designs to prepare for war with Terra. I'm already planning to defect to to go to war against the Upspace/Downspace/Sidespace Aliens.

I mean they may have already wiped out Facility's coalition and Facility is way smarter than Terra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Welp, looks like this could get very messy indeed. Space Balkans here we come.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

I'll gladly command some captured IC junkpile.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Those ships heading back to Triton - can they stick around if we side with the Revolutionaries? The missile ships at least just need new FC's, that's the kind of thing we can probably manage to kludge a fix for in IC shipyards assuming the workers let us in.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 14, 2017

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
So, the Free State has control of the harvesters, which means they officially have their bargaining chip for negotiations with Terra. I would suggest treating them as a potential ally rather than a vassal.

lizurcainnon
May 5, 2008

Crazycryodude posted:

Those ships heading back to Triton - can they stick around if we side with the Revolutionaries? The missile ships at least just need new FC's, that's the kind of thing we can probably manage to kludge a fix for in IC shipyards assuming the workers let us in.

Missile ships
CG:
Macross 1 is missing half it's launchers, all sensors and fire controls, a third of its magazines, and 72% of its armor. Also both bridges, the ECCM, and 75% of it's damage control capability. 28% crew casualties. It's about 44% wrecked (~552 BP), with the engine making up nearly half what remainins intact.

DDG:
More Missiles! is missing an engine, so it can't keep up with a fleet. It's lost 48% of its magazines, all sensors and fire controls, the ECM, and 74% of its armor. 20% crew casualties. It's 54% wrecked (272 BP).

FR:
Backstabber is missing all sensors and fire controls, a sixth of its launchers, a seventh of its magazines, 61% of its armor, and most of it's (very limited) damage control capability. 7% casualties. Only 30% wrecked (139 BP).

Beam ships
CAA:
Tharsis has lost active sensors and fire controls, half its turrets, 1/8 of its powerplants, the CIWS mount, 67% of its armor, and has taken 17% casualties. It's 53% wrecked (833 BP).

Don't Forget to Breathe has also lost active sensors and fire controls, 3/4 of its turrets, 3/8 of its powerplants, CIWS, ECM, 85% of its armor, 85% of it's damage control, and has suffered 31% casualties. It's 63% wrecked (980 BP).

Missile tracking sensors and fire controls tend to be large and expensive installations, which accounts for a lot of the BP costs of the CAAs, and the turrets aren't cheap either. That said, armor repairs alone run around 100 Build Points for each of the cruisers, and 60 and 30 for the smaller ships. Looks like the largest yard locally works at around 70 BP/wk.

Assuming we don't give the locals copies of our own schematics (you can hear the Fleet Intelligence deptartment scream from a billion kilometers away), and instead convince them to kludge a roughly equivalent-sized piece from their own experience into one of the missile ships, I'd ballpark estimate 30-50 BP for one of their missile fire controls and double-to-triple that for a sensor.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Crazycryodude posted:

Short version is no, they are all too severely damaged to be repaired around Titan.

Tactical_Torpedo
Feb 26, 2017

When all else fails?

FIRE EVERYTHING!

Then bravely run away.
Grimey Drawer
Just discovered this thread yesterday and been powering through it. Since my last attempt to be completely annihilated engage in glorious combat with Spess Lemons has not yet came to fruition, I request a Naval post on a PD Cruiser called the "Missile Magnet" if possible.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

VOTING IS TALLLIED

First up the Martian design board hemmed and hawed for a while but in the end the Type 8 PD fighter and Levy PD Cruiser ran away with the votes. People really don't like getting shot with missiles it seems.

code:
CLAA Levy class Light Cruiser    7,200 tons     183 Crew     1424.5 BP      TCS 144  TH 175  EM 0
3472 km/s     Armour 6-33     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 21     PPV 31.3
Maint Life 1.57 Years     MSP 1124    AFR 414%    IFR 5.8%    1YR 525    5YR 7877    Max Repair 218.75 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 12 months    Spare Berths 0    

Proposed 250 EP Nuclear Pulse Engine (2)    Power 250    Fuel Use 91.71%    Signature 87.5    Exp 12%
Fuel Capacity 200,000 Litres    Range 5.5 billion km   (18 days at full power)

Twin Orion Gauss Cannon R3-100 Turret (2x6)    Range 30,000km     TS: 16000 km/s     Power 0-0     RM 3    ROF 5  
Meyer Limited Fire Control S02 24-16000 H70 (2)    Max Range: 48,000 km   TS: 16000 km/s

Mao-Kowalkski Missile Search Sensor MR10-R1 (70%) (2)     GPS 96     Range 10.6m km    MCR 1.2m km    Resolution 1

Compact ECCM-1 (1)         This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

New engine design:
NPE, 1.25x power, 0.7 fuel consumption, 35% thermal sig., 25 HS.
code:
Type 8 class Fighter    500 tons     10 Crew     92 BP      TCS 10  TH 80  EM 0
8000 km/s     Armour 1-5     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 0     PPV 3.5
Maint Life 0 Years     MSP 0    AFR 100%    IFR 1.4%    1YR 16    5YR 243    Max Repair 40 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 0.12 months    Spare Berths 0    

80 EP Nuclear Pulse Engine (1)    Power 80    Fuel Use 376.18%    Signature 80    Exp 20%
Fuel Capacity 5 000 Litres    Range 0.5 billion km   (16 hours at full power)

Gauss Cannon R3-8 (7x3)    Range 30 000km     TS: 8000 km/s     Accuracy Modifier 8%     RM 3    ROF 5  
Fire Control S00.7 72-2000 (FTR) (1)    Max Range: 144 000 km   TS: 8000 km/s 

This design is classed as a Fighter for production, combat and maintenance purposes
Congratulations designers Wetfish and Nevets. Expect to see your designs appearing sometime soon.

Next up we have the decision on the Saturnian Revolution.

It was a close run thing but once second preferences were tallied we have a clear winner with Viva la revolución! :ussr: triumphing over Topple the Corporates! :byobear: by 27 votes to 17. It's time to party like its 1917 1936 1949 1959 1975 2052.

Fleet command is in contact with the so called 'Provisional Government' on Titan and they have instructed their compatriots in the orbital infrastructure to render us as much assistance as possible. The Triton Fleet Marines are beginning combat drops at crucial conflict point and the 45th Brigade is beginning the slower process of landing from their enormous transport. We are also preparing for tactical nuclear strikes on IC force concentration and C&C locations.

Spirits in the revolution appear to be running high despite heavy losses to both the revolutionaries and civilians caught in the crossfire. One of the orbital quick-fabber stations has somewhat cheekily unfurled a rather large flag showing Titan as the third satellite of Mars.

Terran Response:

Fray posted:

Ok, we've been hashing this out on discord and we have an idea that appears to have consensus. We really, really don't want a war with Earth right now, and if they come to Saturn guns blazing we won't be able to stop them.

What we do have is control of the sorium harvesters and the ability to destroy them at a moment's notice. This is our bargaining chip.

It's time to play some realpolitik. We propose to approach Earth with the following terms:

• Earth and Mars will arrange joint sovereignty between us over the Saturn system.
  • Saturn's sorium production will be split 2:1 in favor if Earth.
  • Mars will back the revolution on Titan, and recognize the revolutionary government, in exchange for control of all former IC naval facilities. Earth will recognize the new Titan government and our access to these facilities.
  • Earth may have control of Rhea or some other moon and construct military facilities on it and station military forces there. In exchange, Earth will recognize the Kuiper Belt as within Mars' sphere of influence (this includes Pluto but try not to draw attention to that).
  • Earth and Mars will agree to keep their forces in the Saturn system at (roughly) equal tonnage. This means most of that big BB fleet of theirs needs to turn around and go home.
  • Each side may station up one brigade of garrison troops to guard our respective facilities. No offensive troop units are allowed.
  • Earth and Mars agree to militarily resist any attempt by IC to retake Saturn. Earth will not interfere in our war beyond that.
  • If Earth isn't interested in a deal, they will get nothing but wreckage and the middle finger (don't actually come out and say this but diplomatically imply it).

At the urging of Fleet command the diplomatic corps has approached United Terra via their Martian ambassador. The Terrans are dismissive about any renegotiation of territorial rights in the solar system other than Saturn space but supportive of the "Titanian right to self governance" and have stated they are open to recognising any new government that forms. They also hinted strongly that they would be very unhappy with any attempt by Mars to unilaterally annex Saturn space.

As for the Terran fleet inbound for Saturn the ambassador demurred stating they had no wish to be drawn into the ongoing conflict but that it was long standing policy that breaking the Corporate monopoly over Spice Sorium production would be a positive outcome to strive towards and that Earth respected the right to self governance of the outer system (the latter somehow delivered without a hint of irony but the ambassador is a long veteran of the Terran diplomatic service).

The diplomatic service's takeaway is that the Terran are prepared to support the Titan Free state due to the shattering of the IC's fuel monopoly but have little interest in picking up another fractious colony. At the same time they don't want Mars to secure their Sorium supply should we emerge victorious over the IC in the ongoing conflict. An independent Saturn would seem to nicely align with their priorities and we can expect the Terran force to move with this aim in mind.

Finally and more confusingly the Terrans have brought up renegotiating the treaties that govern free passage through space and the extent of allowable territorial claims from an occupied body. There were suggestions that paradigm shifting new developments were incoming and the Ambassadors office had a new, rather provocative image across one wall of spacesuited figures flying a Terran flag on a clearly alien world under a red sun. Obviously there is an intended message here but the exact meaning is still somewhat opaque.

Saros fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Aug 14, 2017

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Saros posted:

...Finally and more confusingly the Terrans have brought up renegotiating the treaties that govern free passage through space and the extent of allowable territorial claims from an occupied body. There were suggestions that paradigm shifting new developments were incoming and the Ambassadors office had a new, rather provocative image of a Terran flag flying on a clearly alien world under a red sun. Obviously there is an intended message here but the exact meaning is still somewhat opaque. [/i]

...Welp. The Terrans either have or will have jump tech in the immediate future. Worst case scenario is that they HAVE an extrasolar colony already. Best case scenario is that they've identified where the jump points in Sol lead and have plans.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
No, worst case is that their forays into jump tech brought along Outsider hitchhikers and they're happily slipping brain worms into the terran leadership.

Doesn't seem likely but we're about to be extrasolar and need to expand our definition of bad news.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Inglonias posted:

...Welp. The Terrans either have or will have jump tech in the immediate future. Worst case scenario is that they HAVE an extrasolar colony already. Best case scenario is that they've identified where the jump points in Sol lead and have plans.

Ha I just word vomited that in Discord and you've beaten me to in by a good half hour here.

Anyway, Intel Request:

Can we dig up any data in the last say 30 years regarding the work done around Mercury and/or a dossier on the Director-General of the Terrans daughter and her associations with design corporations. Terran based project regarding anomalous ship designs, not necessarily military association but any government or government-associated enterprise. A focus on small enterprises that came out of no where with power/money or sub-groups in the bigger ones getting more funding than they should.

Someone has taken pains to hide these developments from us.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Aug 14, 2017

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
Even if Saturn becomes its own entity they'll always remember who bailed their asses out of the fire - I don't think an alliance would be too far out of the realm of possibility.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Erwin the German posted:

Even if Saturn becomes its own entity they'll always remember who bailed their asses out of the fire - I don't think an alliance would be too far out of the realm of possibility.

And honestly that's a big damned "if" given that the Titanites are already starting to fly pro-Martian flags. Odds are it'll be a "totes independent" state that just so happens to answer directly to Mars in basically every conceivable way.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Earth is gonna demand it's at least wink-wink nudge-nudge "independent", us outright annexing the Saturn system is unacceptable to them.

But yeah, they seem to really like us, so if that sentiment lasts through us killing a few million people with stray nukes, we're at the bare minimum going to be the preferred ally of the TFS.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

We interrupt your normal scheduled broadcasting to bring you

The glorious Martian Fleet at work

Tythas fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 14, 2017

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Tythas posted:

Rad!

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
An "independent" Titan will be really bad for the IC in the long run. All Mars needs to do is start secretly subsidizing their government and in return they start dumping sorium on the open market priced near or even below the cost of production. A sorium glut will drive IC profits down & investors will start dumping the stock. Mars uses a few shell companies to acquire controlling stakes in as many interests as possible, prices go back to normal, and now Mars has an economic WMD it can drop whenever the IC starts things up again.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.

Nevets posted:

An "independent" Titan will be really bad for the IC in the long run. All Mars needs to do is start secretly subsidizing their government and in return they start dumping sorium on the open market priced near or even below the cost of production. A sorium glut will drive IC profits down & investors will start dumping the stock. Mars uses a few shell companies to acquire controlling stakes in as many interests as possible, prices go back to normal, and now Mars has an economic WMD it can drop whenever the IC starts things up again.

You're assuming that there is a long run for the IC at this point.

There really isn't.

Also, sweet posters Tythas, whether they're yours or ones you found online somewhere.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Anybody on either side who doesn't want a full scale Mars-Earth war will try and keep the IC going. It's hard to keep a detente going if there are only 2 players, eventually one will be in a slightly stronger position & think they can wipe the other out. As long as there is a moderately powerful third player they will side with the weaker party to prevent a clear victor, since any total victory will leave them facing a singular powerful opponent with no way to win.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
IC dissolution into a bunch of puppet and buffer polities looks like a good direction for poo poo to go in.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
If Earth does have extra-solar capability, Mars is losing the foot race. Now, it could just be mind games and they've just got jump engines and no knowledge of any viable jump points (and the closest in ring of possibles is outside Jupiter's orbit, I believe).

Another downside I thought of for a Titan Free State staying independent is that IC effectively surrounds it, so those ships in build are going to have to stay at Titan and they're going to need to fortify. While we could guarantee their independence, that could mean a permanent naval force in the Saturn system. Getting Earth to agree to a joint fleet guaranteeing Saturnian independence would help alleviate that, however.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
So, no word yet from the Terrans on the lightshow above Pluto?

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
It might just have been mentioned in the Discord, but I believe their response currently is "There's something going on at Pluto? Huh, neat."

Saros posted:

Spirits in the revolution appear to be running high despite heavy losses to both the revolutionaries and civilians caught in the crossfire. One of the orbital quick-fabber stations has somewhat cheekily unfurled a rather large flag showing Titan as the third satellite of Mars.

So the second satellite of Mars?

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

I figure we'll have to deal with whatever IC counterattack is coming first, but afterwards we can see about peaceing out with them and turning our attention to extrasolar matters. Make them recognize Saturnian independence and maybe even peel off Uranus if 3rd Fleet whomps them hard enough. Earth should readily agree to protect Titan from an IC return since the last thing they want is a return of the sorium cartel. Of course, we may want to exclude them and make a bilateral protection deal with the new government in order to maximize our influence going forward.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Crazyeyes24 posted:

So, no word yet from the Terrans on the lightshow above Pluto?

It's really hard to overemphasize how much Earth just does not give one single poo poo about anything rimward of the asteroid belt these days. Except for sorium, and even then only because there's nowhere they can get it sunward. I'm sure they've noticed, but the response is gonna be along the lines of "huh, that's weird. Well, whatever they're up to, it can't compete with us having an entire galaxy to plunder let's build more jump ships."

E: Once (if?) we repel the counterattacks on Saturn, taking Uranus is just a formality. The only thing they'll have left there after all this is over is a few PDC's we can police up at our leisure.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Coffeehitler posted:

Another downside I thought of for a Titan Free State staying independent is that IC effectively surrounds it,

I don't think this is really a concern. At the moment the IC fleet is so badly beaten they won't do anything with it but defend Jupiter. Smaller raiding parties might be a concern but after the revolt on Titan I'll bet the IC is on a defensive footing and will be keeping all ships close to their bases to discourage further revolutions.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

We can hand over the PDC's to the TFS when we're done with them so the locals can repel any light raids, and I think the plan is to have a Martian naval base in the Saturn system anyways. We've been kicking the IC's rear end all over the outer system, and if we can hold out against the currently inbound counterattacks the IC fleet will be firmly on the defensive and small enough that any meaningful attack on Titan draws enough forces away from Jupiter that we can kick in the door and end them.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Coffeehitler posted:

:captainpop:

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Hey come to think of it, given the situation is it too out of line to ask the Titanites if they could, oh I dunno, give us access to whatever data they have on IC designs and technology? Titan was a major shipyard for them, there's got to be something worth looting.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Coffeehitler posted:

Mars has two moons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phobos_(moon)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deimos_(moon)

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

And one got blown up in the LP.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Coffeehitler posted:

So it did.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Coffeehitler posted:

wait, when?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

The IC nuked it and a bunch of orbital terraforming infrastructure. It's why we got sent to Saturn to begin with.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tythas posted:

The glorious Martian Fleet at work

aww hell yeah

I can feel an anthem coming on, anyone want to give me some words?

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Crazycryodude posted:

The IC nuked it and a bunch of orbital terraforming infrastructure. It's why we got sent to Saturn to begin with.

Okay, so it still exists in a literal sense

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I mean, if you count a loose cloud of debris that used to be a moon as "still existing." Both Deimos and Phobos are just asteroid-sized, taking a couple hundred nukes is gonna turn them into gravel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Crazycryodude posted:

I mean, if you count a loose cloud of debris that used to be a moon as "still existing." Both Deimos and Phobos are just asteroid-sized, taking a couple hundred nukes is gonna turn them into gravel.

Ya, people did some rough math and figured out the amount of force it was hit with was more than enough to make it a new martian ring.