Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nintendo?
This poll is closed.
Nintendon't 45 22.73%
Nintendoomed 22 11.11%
Nintendrone 13 6.57%
Nintendovahkiin 55 27.78%
Nintend'oh! 63 31.82%
Total: 198 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Another day, where we stray further from Godhand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'll buy it a third time sure

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Starcraft II

Sakurazuka posted:

I'll buy it a third time sure

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Legacy of the Void was really good.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

been waiting for this loving game for EVER

response from devs says it's about release date, which is "sooner than you think"

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Legacy of the Void is class, each of the 3 Starcraft 2 campaigns are well presented although the story is convoluted at the best of times.

Even the multiplayer is quite fun until you get sick of invisible dark templars or photon cannon rushes or widow mines in every game.

God bless starcraft pros on Twitch filling that urge every time I get tempted.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Sonic reviews coming in. Pretty much unanimous praise for it. Eurogamer gave it an Essential rating. Really excited to play a good Sonic game.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I've never played a good Sonic game outside of the ones on the Genesis

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Norns posted:

good news, this one is deliberately designed to be like the ones on the genesis. think shovel knight but sonic the hedgehog.

i myself don't care much about sonic the hedgehog but it's nice to hear he's getting a decent game for the first time in 20 years

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Norns posted:

same, that's why I'm stoked for this new one, it finally went back to basics

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I saw footage of the bonus levels which are straight up how the bonus levels were in Sonic 3 and I am totally down. If the Sonic 2 half-pipes are also in there, oh man

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

II'm sorry everyone I sold my soul + Sonic Mania for a new Sonic Racing game Mania is cancelled

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sonic the Hedgehog was really the first walking simulator, if you think about it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Sonic the Hedgehog was really the first walking simulator, if you think about it.

Gone Home definitely could have used a few halfpipes and loop-the-loops

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

oddium posted:

niddhogg 2 is so ugly

I felt that way, but after seeing Giant Bomb play it awhile back, the change at least makes sense because it allows for a lot more random factors and general craziness, which matters way more than the game looking good

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Damnit, I'm gonna end up regretting not getting that ridiculous Sonic Mania special edition, aren't I?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

i myself don't care much about sonic the hedgehog but it's nice to hear he's getting a decent game for the first time in 20 years
sonic colors and sonic generations were good

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

DLC Inc posted:

Gone Home definitely could have used a few halfpipes and loop-the-loops

In the new Sonic Mania, action sequences will be interdisperesed with audio log rooms containing entries such as Dr. Robotnik recalling his troubled childhood.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I played a Sonic game for the first time just last week (Sonic 1 on Genesis). It probably gets better later on in the series but my immediate reaction was, like, "I can't see where I'm going because the camera is too zoomed in and I accelerate way too quickly, this is a really bad platformer". Also those springs that are placed at the end of paths that also shoot you backwards are dumb

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Reviews say mania is 3 hours long. Ill get it in a holiday sale

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jay Rust posted:

I played a Sonic game for the first time just last week (Sonic 1 on Genesis). It probably gets better later on in the series but my immediate reaction was, like, "I can't see where I'm going because the camera is too zoomed in and I accelerate way too quickly, this is a really bad platformer". Also those springs that are placed at the end of paths that also shoot you backwards are dumb

Yeah no argument. I only liked it for the music in the 90s

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

you're right, it needs more werehog sections

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

Phantasium posted:

you're right, it needs more werehog sections

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The first Sonic has only like 2 levels that you would ever consider fast, the rest is just fairly generic platforming.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

sonic is deffo way too close to be good. but it's also kind of good

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlNa7RQju7Y

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Jay Rust posted:

sonic 1 is bad. the camera isn't really a thing they fix, i don't know if it's a thing they even can because even playing sonic cd in widescreen it's kind of hard to see ahead, but sonic 1 has the worst level design out of the genesis games. sonic 2 is pretty good and sonic 3 & knuckles is really really good, though, sonic 2 is more about zooming through levels but it still has some heavy stinkers and 3&k is just a genuinely great platformer in general with a ton of variety, and it's whole save system makes it the most forgiving, especially if you wanna like get all the chaos emeralds cause big rings respawn once you get the normal ending

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I remember borrowing sonic 1 from a friend and being dead excited because he told me they're was a level called The Labyrinth, I had just read a kids book on myths and legends and so I was convinced I'd have to fight a minotaur at the end :(

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
labyrinth zone is one of the worst stages in sonic history

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

The first Sonic has only like 2 levels that you would ever consider fast, the rest is just fairly generic platforming.

It did have a way more slow levels then people like to remember, but it was more than that. The game basically switches between fast and slow every world but no one ever noticed.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

The Colonel posted:

labyrinth zone is one of the worst stages in sonic history

Literally the reason I never bothered with sonic again til I was an adult

SMW was so much better

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

uh actually it's more like 10 you bozo. you have to beat it with sonic, knuckles AND Tails

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

S3&K was a game I played start to finish dozens of times as a kid. I even pre-planned moments where Sonic would lose his rings or whatever to make things look more dramatic since it became impossible for me to die past a certain point of repetition.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
You have to beat it with every character from the Echidna family tree.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I love how horrible wounds disappear between different shots of the same scenes in Yakuza 0. If someone did a drinking game around that, the later chapters would kill all participants.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Scrap Brain Act 3 being labyrinth redux is one of the biggest kicks in the dick.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Sonic 1's levels were just brutal in the 2nd half, there is reason why most peeps says 2 and 3 were really good.

1?.. Not so much.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I remember once a maybe a decade ago I was at my aunt and uncle's place and was playing Sonic 2 with my younger cousin. He was just watching me go through the stages and even though I never owned a Genesis it's not a real great challenge to make it to the end, which I did. Well, I made it to the last boss and died a few times before my even younger cousin ran through the room and bumped into the console. Game flashed to black then booted back to the "SEGA" logo. Kinda frustrating but easy come, easy go.

I'm at what I believe is the second to last stage of Shadow Tactics and I'm still loving it. It has an actual story with character interaction and development which is great (the story is so-so but that it has one at all other than "It was World War II" is nice). I don't think I'll be finished with it by the time Sonic Mania is released, but it sounds like I could beat all of Mania in the same time it would take me to beat the last two stages of Tactics.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Not a Children posted:

Literally the reason I never bothered with sonic again til I was an adult

SMW was so much better

its not fair bringing SMW into the conversation because the only thing better is SMB3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I still think Sonic 1 is a pretty good platformer, it's just oddly slow at times for a game called Sonic. It's not Mario level but you could do so so so much worse with platformers from that era.

The most bullshit thing about it is that Japan got a better version of it.

• Locked thread