Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, Mickey is literally the logo, so they're super-scared of doing anything that might dilute or damage the #brand. They only recently allowed him to be kind of a dick in the short cartoons again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's made even weirder by mice not being a species in the duck-o-verse, while there's plenty of goofy-style dogmen and the occasional appearance of Pete the cat. I keep getting caught up in the racial demographics of this world of animal people.

Mr Interweb posted:

I always wondered if Avatar: TLA's popularity was bolstered by the fact that it was literally the only other animated series Nickelodeon was airing at the time besides Spongebob, Fairly Oddparents and Jimmy Neutron.

Well, that was also the time when all those shows were contemporary and not shambling zombie husks. It probably would've been unique no matter what else Nick had on the lineup. After season 1 it was probably the most dramatic show Nick ever put their faith in (of course, after season 1 they also started to screw the show in scheduling).

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool

Mr Interweb posted:

I always thought it was kind of odd how Disney was able to make fairly popular series with Donald Duck and Goofy in the 90s, but didn't decide to do the same for Mickey.

Speaking of which, I'm still surprised to this day that Goof Troop was the only Disney afternoon series that got a theatrical film release. I mean, sure, I liked and watched pretty much all the episodes, but I would have preferred one for Chip & Dale's RR, Talespin, Darkwing Duck, and Gargoyles before I'd think of one for Goof Troop. Maybe it was way more popular than I figured at the time.

I always wondered if Avatar: TLA's popularity was bolstered by the fact that it was literally the only other animated series Nickelodeon was airing at the time besides Spongebob, Fairly Oddparents and Jimmy Neutron.

DuckTales got a theatrical movie. Its lack of success is why the other ones didn't get any.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Cartoons don't really do theatrical movies anymore, it seems, since they never seem to have done well. Even the Transformers movie (the original one) did poorly.

About the only show that seems willing to gamble on a theatrical movie lately is The Show That Must Not Be Named.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

You had SpongeBob a couple years ago too. I think there was one in the works for Adventure Time that fell through.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Here's a DuckTales thread for all your DuckTales-ing needs.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Mr Interweb posted:

I always thought it was kind of odd how Disney was able to make fairly popular series with Donald Duck and Goofy in the 90s, but didn't decide to do the same for Mickey.

I mean it's not quite the same thing but there was the House of Mouse.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Runaway Brain scared the people with the money for way too long.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

TFRazorsaw posted:

DuckTales got a theatrical movie. Its lack of success is why the other ones didn't get any.

If I remember correctly Rescue Rangers were slated to debut with a movie but they canned that idea and turned the movie in to a five part origin story for the show.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's kind if hard to give a film the series treatment because it kind of dilutes what made it unique. Like the Lilo and Stitch or Tangled series. Or Cloudy...

It's doubly a problem when you have a bunch of soundalikes because Major Or Probably Minor Hollywood Name wont voice an animated series.

Going the other way you either shake up what makes the show work (GI Joe or Transformers), or it's a slightly longer slightly better budgeted regular set of episodes (Rainbow Brite, Care Bears).

Strangely enough, the Aladdin series wasnt half bad. Cheaped out on the animation but it was at least, fun.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Macrame_God posted:

If I remember correctly Rescue Rangers were slated to debut with a movie but they canned that idea and turned the movie in to a five part origin story for the show.

I bet on my next trip home I can find the VHSes for this, complete with Ecto Cooler Hi-C commercials and Mountain Dew country races

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

They could always use The Rescuers instead if Chip and Dale aren't an option. Where's that reboot?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

HMS Beagle posted:

They could always use The Rescuers instead if Chip and Dale aren't an option. Where's that reboot?

Why not both? Rescue rangers and the Rescuers team up to rescue.....wait for it..... THE WORLD!

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
They just completed the Apprentice two-parter on the original Teen Titans and...that's it? Slade blackmails Robin into working for him and then immediately forces him to do the thing that Slade was threatening him with to force him to submit? Surprise, surprise, Robin is having none of this bullshit back at the evil base and even starts beating the poo poo out of him, but Slade has to turn him to the dark side. Oh and after having the whole team at his mercy and Robin's service is no longer an option, he can potentially kill them all but spares their lives because the plot says so? And that is the show the TTG haters worship on a loving pedestal? Don't get me wrong, these narrative shortcuts are usually such standard fare that I'm used to it, but I can't believe I ever bitched about Adventure Time being pretentious, Regular Show being melodramatic or Steven Universe slowing down when major plot threads in a serious show like this one are handled so lazily.

I'm also surprised anyone can say the parodies in TTG make the original characters look like assholes either. When they aren't kicking villain rear end in TT, they just seem either disinterested, goofy or just plain hostile towards each other on the drop of a hat for really shallow reasons. That sounds absolutely ripe for parody!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Teen Titans had a few really good episodes (Terra's whole arc, kinda) but a lot of it really hasn't aged well. The serialisation was near revolutionary for its time, but later shows just took everything and did it way better.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Inescapable Duck posted:

Teen Titans had a few really good episodes (Terra's whole arc, kinda) but a lot of it really hasn't aged well. The serialisation was near revolutionary for its time, but later shows just took everything and did it way better.
I know I seem like I'm bitching, but the TTG thread has been pretty dead for awhile so I figured I'd get more response here. I'm surprised these self-proclaimed cartoon experts like Enter and others are insulted by TTG's existence, when from what I remember, Batman TAS and Gargoyles were doing the dark gritty thing a decade earlier and were a helluva lot more fun to watch.

Still liking it though. It's your average action show, so you can't (probably) go wrong with that.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think my personal favourite B:TAS moment (at least of the understated ones) was in the episode with the Sewer King, a villain who kidnapped children and forced them to steal for him. When Batman catches up to him, it culminates with Batman holding the Sewer King over a pit of his own giant rats, contemplating his decisions up to that point. His conclusion is:

"I don't dole out punishments, that's for the courts to decide. But in your case... I am sorely tempted...:mad:"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Batman and Gargoyles didn't take themselves that deadly seriously either, they were just good at making things seem important. Batman TAS had a very distinct impressionistic style that made some rather silly plots far more dramatic than they had any right to be.

It is great when Batman just loses his poo poo about kids being mistreated.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Inescapable Duck posted:

Batman and Gargoyles didn't take themselves that deadly seriously either,

Ja-ja---- JALAPENIA!!!!!

Gargoyles had the undercurrent of comedy (even dark comedy at times) but the craft was in watching these various pieces come together in a way that wasnt expected.

Even something as dumb as the Travolta sound-alike stalking Goliath for revenge, just to pie him was cool. But when you get to the calling of Oberon's children... hooooooly poo poo.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Shitenshi posted:

I'm also surprised anyone can say the parodies in TTG make the original characters look like assholes either. When they aren't kicking villain rear end in TT, they just seem either disinterested, goofy or just plain hostile towards each other on the drop of a hat for really shallow reasons. That sounds absolutely ripe for parody!

Yeah, I forgot how terrible they were to each other.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

TFRazorsaw posted:

According to Wikipedia you're talking about Treasure of the Lost Lamp, but somehow I only ever remember that being a TV movie, it must not have been a wide release.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

raditts posted:

According to Wikipedia you're talking about Treasure of the Lost Lamp, but somehow I only ever remember that being a TV movie, it must not have been a wide release.

I remember seeing it in theaters at least, it may have been a flop at the box office but I don't recall it being that bad a film on its own merits.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

[quote="“raditts”" post="“475397388”"]
According to Wikipedia you’re talking about Treasure of the Lost Lamp, but somehow I only ever remember that being a TV movie, it must not have been a wide release.
[/quote]

It was most definitely a wide release.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Inescapable Duck posted:

Batman and Gargoyles didn't take themselves that deadly seriously either, they were just good at making things seem important. Batman TAS had a very distinct impressionistic style that made some rather silly plots far more dramatic than they had any right to be.

It is great when Batman just loses his poo poo about kids being mistreated.

The writers also know when to back off a bit on the high drama of capes and villains. Like one episode was Bruce getting kidnapped while going undercover as a bum, getting amnesia after getting knocked in the head, and trying to escape from a forced work camp. The main antagonist was a fat boss-hog type of deal not some crazy dude in tights.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

I think my personal favourite B:TAS moment (at least of the understated ones) was in the episode with the Sewer King, a villain who kidnapped children and forced them to steal for him. When Batman catches up to him, it culminates with Batman holding the Sewer King over a pit of his own giant rats, contemplating his decisions up to that point. His conclusion is:

"I don't dole out punishments, that's for the courts to decide. But in your case... I am sorely tempted...:mad:"

Reminder, the bleed hearts liberals that control the Gotham courts keep not killing villains with 4 digit kill counts while the Metropolis courts get poo poo done*.

*I'm talking about the episode where Clark is killed by a dirty cop and by the end of the week the dirty cop is already in the gas chamber/whatever execution method Metropolis uses. This is all TAS btw.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
Disney put a bunch of their old Disney Afternoon (and Gargoyles) shows on iTunes a while ago and Rescue Rangers is one of them. Surprisingly, RR is restored in HD... but only for the first volume???

It looks great but why, of all shows, remaster that one, and then not do any of the others and only PART of the show?

Also, Darkwing Duck is absent out of the shows that were put up.

EDIT - wait, RR is completely remastered, save for volume 2.

That's still really weird and arbitrary.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Aug 16, 2017

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

TFRazorsaw posted:

If that's the case, then it makes it all the more impressive that Goof Troop was the one out of all the rest that was granted the chance.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Revolutionary? There were tons of shows that did the serialized format long before TT:

- X-Men: TAS
- Spiderman: TAS
- Gargoyles
- Superman: TAS
- Mysterious Cities of Gold
- Double Dragon
- Sonic: TAS
- Pirates of Dark Water
- Justice League/Unlimited

And I believe Avatar: TAS came out the same year as TT.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

PhazonLink posted:

Reminder, the bleed hearts liberals that control the Gotham courts keep not killing villains with 4 digit kill counts while the Metropolis courts get poo poo done*.

*I'm talking about the episode where Clark is killed by a dirty cop and by the end of the week the dirty cop is already in the gas chamber/whatever execution method Metropolis uses. This is all TAS btw.
The DCAU got progressively more and more murder happy as it went on in retrospect.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Point there on the serialisation, though it was certainly part of a growing trend.

The DCAU was a bit funny in places; the last season of JLU has the Legion of Doom (apparently they weren't allowed to use the name even though it totally was) form in response to the Justice League because the villains can't reliably operate solo any more. Young Justice would follow up on similar themes with the Justice League unsure of whether to take on more members, because it might provoke escalation. (not yet realising nearly all the villains have come together under The Light)

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

achillesforever6 posted:

The DCAU got progressively more and more murder happy as it went on in retrospect.

I generally consider myself marginally more of a Marvel guy, but one thing I've always liked about DC animated shows is that they weren't afraid to use actual violent weapons and actually use words like death and kill (and also do so as well!). It's a pet peeve of mine that was borne out of the first DBZ dub using the "next dimension" euphemism for killing. X-Men: TAS was initially okay in that aspect, but as the show went on, they started using words like "destroy" instead of "kill". Spiderman: TAS was way worse in this regard, and they used blasters instead of guns, which puzzled the poo poo out of me as a kid (okay, so they have these futuristic weapons but they still drive regular cars and everything else seems like it's present day?).

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm pretty sure that Batman: TAS was the last kid's cartoon that used realistic guns (although you could argue about the realism of using weapons from 50 years ago at the time of airing). Right after that, Superman: TAS jumped all-in on the crazy laser guns, and they even threw in a bunch of other crazy sci-fi junk like hovercars. Really, you could make a case for the main trouble Metropolis was facing was the fact that the police force was stuck in the past with obsolete equipment.

X-Men: TAS also went with laser guns, but they were mainly just copying the style of the comics of the time, and the 90s really let futuristic gadgets get way out of hand. You're not going to think twice about the Genosha army shooting lasers if they're decked out in full stormtrooper gear and have giant mech suits and hoverbikes. I think comics these days still have that problem of accidentally setting baseline level technology as somewhere in the crazy sci-fi future.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I vaguely remember that there was a Justice League episode where the heroes went to a Nazi-controlled Earth and the writers were told they could either use the Nazi symbol or real guns but not both. So they did the former.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

nerdman42 posted:

I vaguely remember that there was a Justice League episode where the heroes went to a Nazi-controlled Earth and the writers were told they could either use the Nazi symbol or real guns but not both. So they did the former.

I thought they did the latter, it wasn't the actual Nazi symbol? (though pretty close to it) And it was specifically Vandal Savage running the Nazis.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Savage's S logo was pretty close to the SS. They also had a bunch of other Nazi regalia trappings. It's akin to a Wolfenstein game in Germany, where the swastikas are sanitized but it's clearly Nazis.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And I always thought BTAS went the opposite direction by using antique guns, both to play up the retro aesthetic of Gotham and to have the guns less resemble modern ones. (Since the general idea is to avoid 'imitable behaviours', and like that one Wonderella comic, a kid is a lot less likely to find a tommy gun in their parents' night stand)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gargoyles was after Batman The Animated Series, and they pretty memorably used real guns. One would say with more effect than any other cartoon from the era.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Guns have always had a weird spot in TV animation since the 90s. You would think the Starship Troopers CGI Cartoon would be fine since the only thing they shoots is giant bugs but nope! The show ended up getting around the censors it by claiming the guns where shooting light not real bullets/tracers.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

kefkafloyd posted:

Savage's S logo was pretty close to the SS. They also had a bunch of other Nazi regalia trappings. It's akin to a Wolfenstein game in Germany, where the swastikas are sanitized but it's clearly Nazis.

The biggest Nazi regalia being, of course, the Hitler-sicle the Germans apparently kept around in case Vandal Savage was defeated.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Not letting people use guns or say death and die hasn't really been a thing for like a decade now. Even LEGO, who are notoriously anti-gun, let them shoot people in the Lego Batman movie. Albeit with all the people making pew-pew sounds instead of actual gunfire.

achillesforever6 posted:

Until Justice League Unlimited had Amanda Waller, voice of reason and mega badass, pointing out how absolutely insane it was to let an extrajudicial alien murder squad keep a weapon of mass destruction in Earth's orbit with zero oversight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Even something as dumb as the Travolta sound-alike stalking Goliath for revenge, just to pie him was cool. But when you get to the calling of Oberon's children... hooooooly poo poo.

Wait what episodes were these two things?

Inescapable Duck posted:

...like that one Wonderella comic, a kid is a lot less likely to find a tommy gun in their parents' night stand)

Also what comic was this?

I'm super behind on things..