Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Thompsons posted:

Came by to plug a little title that totally passed me and I'm betting many other people by, Strain Tactics

At first glance you'd assume it follows a lot in the same vein as Doorkickers, and from a basic design perspective it is very similar: overhead group tactics where you drag units around and clear out fairly small maps of unfriendlies, only this time you only get a max of five units at once. It's got lot more depth to it than just that, though.

-Tons of guns and gizmos to play with, from anti-tank rockets to shotguns loaded with flechettes to portable gatling guns, as well as passive gear like portable air conditioners and iPods loaded with Pure Moods albums. There's a lot of different fluff info and descriptions for everything if you're a geek like me who loves that kind of thing.
-Lots and lots of dudes to recruit. The game has like 80+ unique units that can only be recruited once, but reviving them if they die is pretty simple anyway. Every unit belongs to a class and there are a LOT of them (combat engineers, medics, green berets, scavengers, cyborgs, etc), each with different stats, passive abilities, morale conditions and inventory space. Everyone can level up in toughness/move speed/damage just by taking damage, carrying stuff around and killing things so it happens pretty naturally over the course of the game.
-At any time you can switch over to your helicarrier's guns and offer fire support with a minigun, cannon, and bombing runs, great for smashing particularly big and obnoxious enemies. Granted not every mission allows it but it's a fun little option.
-Great sound design, lots of meaty gunfire and explosions.
-Units have a greater degree of autonomy relative to a game like Doorkickers, though it tends to be much handier here since it means units will actually back away from advancing enemies and be a lot more capable of covering each other without having to set up overwatch (though you still can if you want).

Most missions are basically you clearing the map of bad guys, occasionally with a side objective of rescuing other people, retrieving items or other stuff like that. The game's structure isn't that much like XCOM since the missions are all fixed, and you can replay them however many times you want and unlock more by killings a certain total of enemies. After 10 hours I'm about halfway through so it doesn't seem like a bad length for 15 bucks. There are a few kinda not-great things about it, though.

-The UI and interface is clearly adapted from it being a mobile game first, and while it still handles a lot better than most mobile-to-PC ports I've played it's still takes some adjusting.
-Some aspects really are not explained well. For example, the game will introduce enemies that make your guys paranoid or blind but not tell you how you're meant to handle them.You can also unlock and buy new gear/soldiers, but the game doesn't tell you you need to visit certain map areas to actually do that.
-Sometimes you do wish your degree of control were a little tighter, particularly to stop your guys from immediately panicking and killing their teammates when they see one become infected.

That aside it was a total hidden gem for me, if you have any love whatsoever for squad games or Doorkickers then check it out.

had this stuck on my wishlist since it seemed interesting, thanks for the impressions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
It was probably the one time Steam's recommended list actually showed me something I'd never heard of and ended up liking.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Any opinion on Versus?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/471330/VERSUS_SQUAD/?snr=1_620_4_1400_45_3

Looks cool, especially for 2.50

strategery fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 14, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hey folks, I've got a whole bunch more steambux available if anyone's looking to get an extra discount on steam games.

I'm having some good fun with the new No Man's Sky update and can get it for you at a deeper discount than the current one, down to $21, if you're interested. The latest patch added a bunch of stuff including 30ish hours of story, revamped worldgen, improved UI, dinosaurs, removed the low-flight restrictions, crashed space freighters on planets, added rudimentary multiplayer(to be expanded on later), and a crapload of other things in addition to the first two patches which added quite a bit to the game already. This is probably what they had intended to release in the first place until Sony shoved them out the door before the game was ready.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
do the rivers have flowing water yet

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Captain Invictus posted:

This is probably what they had intended to release in the first place until Sony shoved them out the door before the game was ready.
I'm pretty sure every single post you made about NMS was "yeah, the game is fine, I don't know why anyone is complaining".

Turning that around to "yeah, the game is fine NOW" is a bit...

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Xander77 posted:

I'm pretty sure every single post you made about NMS was "yeah, the game is fine, I don't know why anyone is complaining".

Turning that around to "yeah, the game is fine NOW" is a bit...

I mean, you could think the game was fine at release even though it was incomplete considering the internet mindset at the time was "worst game of all-time, possibly the worst thing of all time tied with cancer because at least we can treat AIDS okay now", and also think it was an incomplete vision. I'unno because even at the height of hype NMS never interested me, if I wanted to explore poo poo I'd go get lost in the middle of the woods or something.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you're talking about my posts in the no mans sky thread from last year, I was trolling the poo poo out of that thread. Most of my posts otherwise have been "I enjoy it but can see why others are disappointed". Nowadays though it's genuinely vastly improved over the release version.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Dias posted:

I'unno because even at the height of hype NMS never interested me, if I wanted to explore poo poo I'd go get lost in the middle of the woods or something.

You could, but the woods have mosquitos and aren't technicolor wonderlands so it's not quite the same.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I don't wanna put Strix on the spot but she posted a pretty cool story about her NMS exploits today on Twitter that got me interested in giving it a try. I mean, I've always been interested in NMS because I love wandering aimlessly in games but I think that pushed me fully into Get It Eventually mode.

So yeah, how about those Weeklong Deals, huh? There's actually poo poo in there you folks enjoy, like Wuppo and Hexcells so you might want to have a look for yourselves. And if not, I can cover the stuff I've played.

And buy Mini Metro while you're at it, I loooooooove Mini Metro.

EDIT: Whoops, there you are :ohdear:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Captain Invictus posted:

If you're talking about my posts in the no mans sky thread from last year, I was trolling the poo poo out of that thread. Most of my posts otherwise have been "I enjoy it but can see why others are disappointed". Nowadays though it's genuinely vastly improved over the release version.

Around the time the game came out, you would pop up in the Steam thread every time someone said something bad about the game to say "actually, No Man's Sky is good"

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

StrixNebulosa posted:

You could, but the woods have mosquitos and aren't technicolor wonderlands so it's not quite the same.

Fair enough. For real though I have a lizard brain that needs measurable progress to keep doing things, I bounce super hard off sandboxy, "creative" games because of that. On the other hand I spent a stupid amount of time this weekend leveling a new PoE character. ARPGs gently caress me up super bad.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

I AM BRAWW posted:

What a poo poo game compared to the amazing Mafia II. Nothing feels "Mafia" about this. I'm basically playing CJ from Grove St. for all I care.

The story missions are actually really good and do feel more like a Mafia game. The problem is there's a ton of filler in between them.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Someone talk me into or out of buying Dex while it's on offer please.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's pretty fun. Unoriginal as gently caress with often cringeworthy writing but does the 2D Deus Ex thing reasonably well with multiple ways of approaching objectives and multiple character builds (basically punching or guns). If you don't mind the story being cliché upon cliché, it's a fairly good game.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME THERE WAS A NEW TALE OF WUXIA GAME COMING OUT SOON?!

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Because while they are pretty drat fun they are also localized by the developers cat, banging randomly on the keyboard?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Sylphosaurus posted:

Because while they are pretty drat fun they are also localized by the developers cat, banging randomly on the keyboard?

Aw come on, Nyaa is a good cat.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i like how Agents of Mayhem, a direct sequel/spin off to Saints Row, comes out tomorrow and literally the only thing i've seen of it outside of E3 was a month-long ad campaign on deviant art
https://go.deviantart.com/journal/Agents-of-Mayhem-After-Hours-693534393

Orv
May 4, 2011
It looks incredibly terrible.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
It looks fine :shrug:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

As dumb as an image as it is to use, China is gonna do as it does regarding that symbol: utilize its older symbolism that they think of it with regardless of how that doesn't really matter or translate well to the rest of the world.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Edit: wrong thread wow

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 14, 2017

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Crabtree posted:

As dumb as an image as it is to use, China is gonna do as it does regarding that symbol: utilize its older symbolism that they think of it with regardless of how that doesn't really matter or translate well to the rest of the world.

I'm pretty sure a culture that's used a particular symbol for thousands of years doesn't have to give it up because a gaggle of assholes in the 20th century co-opted it. Christians didn't give up on the cross when the KKK started burning them in peoples' yards.

It's a map symbol that means temple, and it's used throughout Asia. Westerners do a double-take the first time they see it and then forget about it when the look at the map legend or just wiki it. No one actually mistakes it for crypto-nazis.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

So could anyone write a bit about Tale of Wuxia games? I played and liked Age of Wushu in the past, so I got a thirst for Wuxia setting and tolerance for localizations made by a blind Vietnamese farmer who doesn't understand neither English nor Chinese and I was eyeing various Chinese rpgs/strategy games like Tale of Wuxia to get my fix, but I have no idea what to expect except "Wuxia" and "jank" so I am bit leery about buying them blind.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Thompsons posted:

Came by to plug a little title that totally passed me and I'm betting many other people by, Strain Tactics

At first glance you'd assume it follows a lot in the same vein as Doorkickers, and from a basic design perspective it is very similar: overhead group tactics where you drag units around and clear out fairly small maps of unfriendlies, only this time you only get a max of five units at once. It's got lot more depth to it than just that, though.

[...]

That aside it was a total hidden gem for me, if you have any love whatsoever for squad games or Doorkickers then check it out.

Thanks for the info. I ran across that the other day and was going to ask if anybody else had tried it.

Aside from Doorkickers, which of the other games in the genre are good? I got Frozen Synapse back when it came out but never really enjoyed it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Too Shy Guy posted:

I'm pretty sure a culture that's used a particular symbol for thousands of years doesn't have to give it up because a gaggle of assholes in the 20th century co-opted it. Christians didn't give up on the cross when the KKK started burning them in peoples' yards.

It's a map symbol that means temple, and it's used throughout Asia. Westerners do a double-take the first time they see it and then forget about it when the look at the map legend or just wiki it. No one actually mistakes it for crypto-nazis.
You are giving people way more credit than they deserve.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Crabtree posted:

Plus that's not the Nazi swastika anyway. I mean, I wouldn't paint it on my house like that and not expect people to complain or throw poo poo through my window, but it's still the wrong way around.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The titanfall 2 campaign is awesome and the first great FPS campaign I've played since call of duty 4. It's also the only game I've ever played with first person platforming that was fun. I think the game's on origin access now so if all you want is the campaign, you can play it for $5

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I did not know Dragon's Dogma Online was a thing, but it's been around since 2015 and now has an unofficial English translation and instructions:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/08/14/dragons-dogma-online-english/#more-469283

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Too Shy Guy posted:

i know manji i'm just being a poo poo

Orv
May 4, 2011

FastestGunAlive posted:

I did not know Dragon's Dogma Online was a thing, but it's been around since 2015 and now has an unofficial English translation and instructions:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/08/14/dragons-dogma-online-english/#more-469283

It's a lot of fun if you want more Dragon's Dogma, but the F2P parts of it are pretty ugly.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

il_cornuto posted:

Someone talk me into or out of buying Dex while it's on offer please.

Don't buy it unless you're heavy into cyberpunk, the store page makes the gameplay look better than it is. I didn't regret buying it, but there are many better games to play.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Lt. Lizard posted:

So could anyone write a bit about Tale of Wuxia games? I played and liked Age of Wushu in the past, so I got a thirst for Wuxia setting and tolerance for localizations made by a blind Vietnamese farmer who doesn't understand neither English nor Chinese and I was eyeing various Chinese rpgs/strategy games like Tale of Wuxia to get my fix, but I have no idea what to expect except "Wuxia" and "jank" so I am bit leery about buying them blind.

The first Tale of Wuxia is a bit like Princess Maker, except its training up a kung fu maniac that can learn martial arts from anything, even drinking tea or guzzling alcohol like a drunken ape. There are city environments that can be breath-takingly scenic and serious and then little goofy moments with cartoonish proportions throwing slight gags. You can romance people or avoid it entirely, you can strive to be good, evil or just beyond it all and seek specialized different endings everywhere. It is a game that gives you a lot of freedom in how you want to play it but unfortunately the instructions to play it are still like 3/5s in Chinese or badly translated. It will also kick your rear end if you try the hardest difficulty and are entirely new so the best thing to do regarding the first game is to take it at your own pace, read up guides and learn how to play it if you're interested as its one of the few legit Chinese RPGs that you can play without creative computing and decent Chinese comprehension and its a decent pedigree. There is an LP made by the very cool Nyaa of I think an older version of the game if you want to spoil some of the first game to see exactly what's up. There is some other content that is never coming west though so its still flawed to a degree.

However, I'm not sure how different the new game is so I'm still trying to find out about it myself.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Orv posted:

E: To clarify, once the game is released the base package will only come with a few pistols and that's it, there won't be higher packages. Additionally you'll be able to purchase the loot saving containers, and expand stash without paying real money (aside from the B2P price.) This is all provided they actually managed everything they talk about and fix all the problems, which right now looks, questionable.
Yeah one of them mentioned this, apparently you can already buy the larger loot saving containers but they're in the millions of game money so it's totally not pay to win guys see you can buy all that cool $140 tier stuff yourself through sheer grindinghardwork! :jerkbag:
$45 for the lowest tier sounds a bit too rich, PUBG was only 30USD.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

ShadowMar posted:

i like how Agents of Mayhem, a direct sequel/spin off to Saints Row, comes out tomorrow and literally the only thing i've seen of it outside of E3 was a month-long ad campaign on deviant art
https://go.deviantart.com/journal/Agents-of-Mayhem-After-Hours-693534393

It just looks so generic.

It really feels like the devs were planning to make a hero shooter and then changed their minds at some point and decided to make it completely loving sp only.(yeah, no co-op :psyduck: )

Apparently it's open world but I don't think they've ever showed it off to give us some idea of it what it consists of.

PC Gamer previewed it a few months ago and said it's pretty drat disappointing and really bare bones.

And then you have videos like this which make it seem like it could actually be pretty fun... the driving at any rate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLQ8MSWXjUc

Deakul fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 15, 2017

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
There's not a single thing about Agents of Mayhem that looks appealing.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

12 Overwatch-style heroes, because Overwatch invented the idea of 'characters'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Croccers posted:

Yeah one of them mentioned this, apparently you can already buy the larger loot saving containers but they're in the millions of game money so it's totally not pay to win guys see you can buy all that cool $140 tier stuff yourself through sheer grindinghardwork! :jerkbag:
$45 for the lowest tier sounds a bit too rich, PUBG was only 30USD.

Honestly the mid tier container available right now isn't too hard to get for 'free' but yeah. The real concern you should have with EFT is that the devs are being incredibly tight lipped about the problems the game has been facing since the move to CB, and are starting to fail to be able to prove they can actually deliver their intentions.

If the game comes out with everything it's supposed to, doesn't suffer from crippling lag and insanely overtuned AI, I will happily sing its praises far and wide, because it has an unmatched level of immersion for a shooter. Right now you absolutely should not give them money.

Orv fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 15, 2017