Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Final trailer for Defenders is out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbxx0ROZJpE

I'm am so here for the idea of Danny Rand being the only one goofy enough to push for a superhero team. That's "stickers under the desk" Danny right there, and combine that with enough Jessica Jones dunking on him and Iron Fist is welcome in my house.

Also love Luke Cage's "light it up Danny" line. He seems amused by the lad, and Luke's big worldly yet goofy earnestness could team up very well with Danny's eager clueless goofy earnestness. I can see them working well as a duo.

Alright, this post is glass half full, but gently caress it I'm excited for Defenders and one mediocre season of Iron Fist (that wasn't even the worst thing Marvel has put out) isn't enough to piss on my chips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is a small thing, but they got his shoes right. IN Iron Fist Danny wore ratty old sneakers with his suit when he was in charge of Rand. He was supposed to look like a casual guy who cares more about comfort than looking classy or whatever. Oh wow, cool boss wearing old sneakers to the office. But it failed completely, the sneakers looked gross and Danny looked disrespectful and dirty. But in the Defenders he's wearing casual but nice shoes, and it works. It doesn't look like he just doesn't give a poo poo

Also, he's actually using his Iron Fist to fight people. I mean, holy poo poo is that not something that deserves kudos. Magical kung fu man uses his magical kung fu in fights should not be an improvement, that should be the baseline of any show involving a magical kung fu man. But I'll take it.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Parkingtigers posted:

Final trailer for Defenders is out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbxx0ROZJpE

I'm am so here for the idea of Danny Rand being the only one goofy enough to push for a superhero team. That's "stickers under the desk" Danny right there, and combine that with enough Jessica Jones dunking on him and Iron Fist is welcome in my house.

Also love Luke Cage's "light it up Danny" line. He seems amused by the lad, and Luke's big worldly yet goofy earnestness could team up very well with Danny's eager clueless goofy earnestness. I can see them working well as a duo.

Alright, this post is glass half full, but gently caress it I'm excited for Defenders and one mediocre season of Iron Fist (that wasn't even the worst thing Marvel has put out) isn't enough to piss on my chips.

"don't call them a team" my eyes rolled so far back into my head I saw my own brain. Why does marketing try to ruin everything.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I think that looks great and it looks as though they make the best use they can of the Iron Fist they were given by IF S1. Finn Jones looks better with some preparation time and I agree that Danny's earnestness should be a good fit -- Cage and DD both have idealistic streaks. They'll both see something of themselves in him, when they're not rolling their eyes loudly and/or wincing.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

homullus posted:

I think that looks great and it looks as though they make the best use they can of the Iron Fist they were given by IF S1. Finn Jones looks better with some preparation time and I agree that Danny's earnestness should be a good fit -- Cage and DD both have idealistic streaks. They'll both be wishing they didn't see something of themselves in him, when they're not rolling their eyes loudly and/or wincing.

FTFY. And neither Luke nor Matt would be who and what they are if they didn't have idealistic streaks you could see from orbit. They are just better about how they handle it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Iron Fist still should've been Brock Lesnar tho

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Excellent emendation, and if they go there, that will make the show even better.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Establishing that the Iron Fist takes a lot of energy and tires Danny out is a great idea. It explains why he wouldn't use it all the time, and creates stakes for when he does use it. Plus it allows for classic martial arts anime gags about the character eating a lot

They really are trying to fix the character in the Defenders

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Kilgrave is back:

http://ew.com/tv/2017/08/14/jessica...ialflow_twitter

PTSD visions?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Or Sigourney Weaver has a super thing that makes them face their own worst nightmare. PTSD would be better storytelling though, given how intensely about Kilgrave JJ S1 was.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
My bet is on flashback

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It had better be a flashback, or ptsd hallucination, or dream, because resurrecting him feels like something a bad comic book would do.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
With my cosmic senses I can confirm that that is, in fact, the one true Kilgrave, and not a robot, clone, or simulacrum.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

They should've cast Len Kabazinski as Iron Fist and you know it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A snapped neck isn't always fatal, he was just faking to plot his revenge.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Well they still need to explain the connection between Kilgrave, Luke's wife and The Hand.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

PriorMarcus posted:

Well they still need to explain the connection between Kilgrave, Luke's wife and The Hand.

Where was that implied to have something to do with The Hand? I may be forgetting something, remind me.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Barry Convex posted:

Where was that implied to have something to do with The Hand? I may be forgetting something, remind me.

I think it would be more because the world in these shows is so small and insular, and the Hand seems to have fingers in everything (yay puns).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Guy Goodbody posted:

Establishing that the Iron Fist takes a lot of energy and tires Danny out is a great idea. It explains why he wouldn't use it all the time, and creates stakes for when he does use it. Plus it allows for classic martial arts anime gags about the character eating a lot

They really are trying to fix the character in the Defenders

That's not exactly new for Defenders. At the start of Ep 7 of his own series, Danny says he can't use the Iron Fist because he "drained his chi" using it at the tournament.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Barry Convex posted:

Yeah, I don't recall that.

I assumed IGH was the connective thread there. Nuke/Kozlov were IGH-backed, IGH experimented on Jessica post-car-crash, and Kilgrave's parents worked with IGH funding to "cure" him. But also that Kilgrave sought out Reva because IGH was her employer and conducted the experiments at Seagate. Also possibly the chemicals that hit Matt Murdock's eyes might've been linked to IGH?

I can't think of any specific Hand overlap there, though.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

jivjov posted:

That's not exactly new for Defenders. At the start of Ep 7 of his own series, Danny says he can't use the Iron Fist because he "drained his chi" using it at the tournament.

OK but that was dumb and the show had so much dumb poo poo about his chi being blocked and that's why he couldn't use it some times. "It makes him tired" is better than unexplained chi bullshit

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Like it's erectile dysfunction or something.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

chirectile dysfunction

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Aphrodite posted:

The most terrifying quadriplegic.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Aphrodite posted:

He regenerated.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Gyges posted:

The most terrifying quadriplegic.

In fairness, he doesn't need his limbs for his superpower.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

"Killgrave? No, no, that was my evil twin brother, my name is Resuscitategurney!"

Phantom Star fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Aug 15, 2017

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
So... is that dude that lost both his kidneys still wasting away?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

As Nero Danced posted:

So... is that dude that lost both his kidneys still wasting away?

Pretty sure he cried tears of joy seeing the news story of a villain getting his rear end murdered justifiably by a private eye. Makes sense because as soon as that entire thing happened, she finally starts getting a lot of work. A good chunk of people saw her murder the dude, and after all that, there was that scene with the former junkie roomate helping with the calls.

Atlas Investigations Inc. took off, but not really in the way that she wanted.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Aug 16, 2017

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Who would win? Elektra or Black Widow?

(The respective stunt women fight.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tC2sMcgm9w

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

howe_sam posted:

It had better be a flashback, or ptsd hallucination, or dream, because resurrecting him feels like something a bad comic book would do.

I feel like 1/3 of the marvel books recently have done an imaginary head trauma friend so I'm guessing it's going to be a PTSD Farscape Harvey deal

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I think I'm looking forward to JJ season 2 the most, I hope they do a cool mystery!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

HIJK posted:

I think I'm looking forward to JJ season 2 the most, I hope they do a cool mystery!

They probably won't but I agree, that would be very neat to see. Hopefully without someone like Kilgrave looming over the narrative they're able to focus more on the private eye stuff.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Arist posted:

They probably won't but I agree, that would be very neat to see. Hopefully without someone like Kilgrave looming over the narrative they're able to focus more on the private eye stuff.

J Jonah Jameson is going to hire her to find his adopted daughter.

After she beats up the Green Goblin.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Arist posted:

It was a real drat letdown that the only private eye stuff we got was in the very first episode.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Arist posted:

Gyges posted:

J Jonah Jameson is going to hire her to find his adopted daughter.

After she beats up the Green Goblin.

I would not mind seeing her thump some more scumbags for sure. Plain old garden variety sleazoids that see a small brunette woman who's drunk and has a bad attitude...

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Arist posted:

If they're clever about it they can have her going off and doing the private eye stuff with the Kilgrave talking to her and she's responding and explaining things and whats shes doing/why without needing to have a monologue about it.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

kingcom posted:

If they're clever about it they can have her going off and doing the private eye stuff with the Kilgrave talking to her and she's responding and explaining things and whats shes doing/why without needing to have a monologue about it.

please no more Dexter

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Scott Buck's Jessica Jones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

esperterra posted:

Scott Buck's Jessica Jones.

wherein Patricia confronts her deep physical and emotional attraction to her adopted sister Jessica

Autism Sneaks fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Aug 17, 2017