Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Either that, or you don't actually play the games and just compare mod feature lists

Oh you're right I don't have like 300 hours in New Vegas and over 100 hours in Fallout 4.

The Conelrad thing was a stretch, there's like maybe three songs that were in Conelrad that are in Fallout 4 (Atom Bomb Baby, Uranium Fever and Crawl Out Through the Fallout).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

King Vidiot posted:

Oh you're right I don't have like 300 hours in New Vegas and over 100 hours in Fallout 4.

Well yeah you have to keep loading the game up and starting new dudes to make sure your mods don't crash the game :getin:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
At least 10-20 of those hours were from my recent playthrough where I'd play the game for like an hour and then it'd motherfucking crash on me. Then I'd uninstall a mod and it'd crash, uninstall a mod and it'd crash... then it was stable for a while so I installed a mod and it crashed.

Now it's finally stable again until the next time I decide to install a gigantic 500mb mod.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

B) Whatever mods you're speaking of that "inspired" Fallout 4 features were janky as gently caress, as are all mods that add significant features to New Vegas. Like if you seriously expect a settlement building mod for New Vegas to be even remotely on the same level of quality as the entire settlement building aspect of Fallout 4, then you are truly insane. Either that, or you don't actually play the games and just compare mod feature lists
Bethesda has way more resources then modders and direct access to the inner bits of the engine, so off course their stuff is going to be more polished then what modders can jury rig together. But that's not the point: Bethesda looks at the modding scene to see what works, what's popular and what's something they could use.

And calling that "ripping off" is a dumb way to look at it. It's a good thing for developers & modders to interact in that way.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
And as mentioned, Obsidian did the same thing. Even with something like OWB, they looked at mods and saw people wanted a better player home, so they put one in

greasynig
Aug 14, 2017

Yeah, getting ideas from mods to be honest shouldn't be shunned. Bethesda's one of the only companies that not only tolerate modding but openly support it. Hell, they've even hired modders in the past.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

greasynig posted:

Yeah, getting ideas from mods to be honest shouldn't be shunned. Bethesda's one of the only companies that not only tolerate modding but openly support it. Hell, they've even hired modders in the past.

Noted Worst Developer in the World Blizzard has even had the temerity to incorporate mod functionality into the very game the mods were originally made for!

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Far Harbor was interesting until I got to the part where I was locked in a room with a robot that exploded like a Mini Nuke on death, instantly killing me.

When I finally surpassed that obstacle I was rewarded with a (mandatory?) virtual reality tower defense mini game using the already really janky and poorly implemented settlement building console.

I stopped playing again after that.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I don't know if Bethesda has specifically acknowledged which modders they take inspiration from, but Obsidian looked at the modding scene for FO3 and specifically acknowledged which modders they based their own ideas off of (like the FO3 one that added weapon mods) and gave kudos to those people. It is undeniably part of the life cycle of a lot of games though.

Also, while I could give a gently caress about actual settlement building, I did love the mods that let me clean up the various settlements, because I find it strangely cathartic.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah, I don't have any problem with a developer using the mod scene to figure out new ideas for future games. That's just looking at what the market wants to see and building it in better than a modder could do it.

My problem with "Brain Dead" in Far Harbor is that it was pretty blatantly taking story ideas from someone. That's a big no-no in any circle, if only on the grounds of being a dick.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I would be surprised if there isn't something in the eula that states anything made with their toolset belongs to bethesda.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
There is.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Avalerion posted:

I would be surprised if there isn't something in the eula that states anything made with their toolset belongs to bethesda.

Yeah, but it's never been tested in court, so who knows how enforceable that is. Like I sincerely doubt the guy who made Autumn Leaves could sue Bethesda, but apparently he's talked about making a standalone version of Autumn Leaves, would Bethesda be able to stop him from making that, since he already made a version of it using their toolset? Or The Witcher developers have said it's okay to port their armors and weapons over to other games, does that mean Bethesda now owns the copyright on those armors?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Something can be legal and still in poor taste.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
When I saw the guy posting the similarities between his mod and the Fallout 4 quest he wasn't even mad about it, iirc he suggested that the similarities were really superficial and he was mainly pointing them out to get more attention to his mod

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

My problem with "Brain Dead" in Far Harbor is that it was pretty blatantly taking story ideas from someone. That's a big no-no in any circle, if only on the grounds of being a dick.
Every writer blatantly steals. Any writer who claims they never took an idea or concept from someone else is either lying or just not aware they're doing it. There's nothing wrong with taking something you think is cool and putting it in your work.

The only dumb thing about it was Peter Hines from Bethesda vehemently denying any link between Far Harbor's Brain Dead and Autumn Leaves and that it was all just coincidence. Just go and admit some devs thought Autumn Leaves was awesome. Modders will love that.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 15, 2017

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, but it's never been tested in court, so who knows how enforceable that is. Like I sincerely doubt the guy who made Autumn Leaves could sue Bethesda, but apparently he's talked about making a standalone version of Autumn Leaves, would Bethesda be able to stop him from making that, since he already made a version of it using their toolset? Or The Witcher developers have said it's okay to port their armors and weapons over to other games, does that mean Bethesda now owns the copyright on those armors?

Bethesda could arguably own the implementation of then Witcher stuff, but probably not the actual stuff, since you don't really do modelling or any thing like that in the GECK software. If you want to make or important any new armors or weapons in these games you need to use stuff like blender and nifskope, which isn't contained in the creation kit.

Of course whether or not the EULA stands up in court is a separate matter, and I'm not sure if it claims to give Bethesda full ownership of whatever is made in it, or just the right to claim ownerhsip or stuff or just the relevant files that are produced by the software.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Raygereio posted:

The only dumb thing about it was Peter Hines from Bethesda vehemently denying any link between Far Harbor's Brain Dead and Autumn Leaves and that it was all just coincidence.
What are those? Googling just gives me a song.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Bethesda wouldn't own any material from pre-existing copyrights modded into their games, they'd be on the hook for infringement, which is why Sony has shot down any substantial modding support on PS4.

As for modders handing over their rights, that's pretty standard creative industry stuff for submissions so I'd imagine it would hold up in court.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

I finally triggered the Remnants quest line and it didn't bug out this time. God drat they're hardcore, I think they could have taken Hoover Dam by themselves.
Cannibal Johnson followed me into the final arena and shot all the legion guys while I killed the Legatus. He was next to me when the NCR arrived and uh

He kept circling around me, in front of the slides.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Yeah, he's insanely bugged. He follows me into the Legate's camp so I always just back away and let the Legate cut him to pieces now, and pretend he got lifesaving surgery offscreen.

E: I think if you're far enough away from him when the final dialogue kicks in then the game won't make him follow you to the ending slides. Before I let Lanius take care of him I used to do a circuit around the camp before going to the gates to try and lose him.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
I'm going to be getting back into FNV after completing F2, and I'm probably going to be continuing my Unarmed punchspree. I've played an Unarmed build before, but I'm interested in whether it's generally considered better to go crit-heavy with high LK and light armour, or go Heavy Handed and just brute force everything. I recall my last character ended up in Power Armour, so I'm guessing I went for the latter.

I'm currently considering a stat spread that looks something like 5/5/9/1/9/6/4 down the line for a non-crit build, with a crit-heavy build taking points out of INT to get PE and LK up for the critical perks. How much does dumping PE hurt if you're not worried about the crit perks?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Unarmed run was probably the most fun I had in FO3 and NV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAgiCGoA4sE

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Zeerust posted:

I'm going to be getting back into FNV after completing F2, and I'm probably going to be continuing my Unarmed punchspree. I've played an Unarmed build before, but I'm interested in whether it's generally considered better to go crit-heavy with high LK and light armour, or go Heavy Handed and just brute force everything. I recall my last character ended up in Power Armour, so I'm guessing I went for the latter.

I'm currently considering a stat spread that looks something like 5/5/9/1/9/6/4 down the line for a non-crit build, with a crit-heavy build taking points out of INT to get PE and LK up for the critical perks. How much does dumping PE hurt if you're not worried about the crit perks?

I mean, you can live however you want, but I recommend not taking heavy handed if only for the Industrial Hand. It's a ripper/chainsaw in unarmed form, and it's absurdly broken. Yes, it has great base stats and does a ton of DPS- but it also gets crits, and because it attacks so rapidly, that damage compounds very quickly. It also completely ignores DR/DT, and will rip open the toughest enemies in the game in less than a second.

Luck isn't really necessary to have high to use this effectively, but it does help; and you don't strictly need crit perks for it either. I don't think anything else really benefits from crits that much except Greased Lightning, so if you don't plan to use the industrial hand or you think you might grow bored of being the unrelenting terror of the wastes and want to go back to having to play like a normal person, you're probably better off with heavy handed and the ballistic fist.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I ended up using Fist of the North Rawr more than Industrial Hand myself. In my experience, Rawr was able to get a lot more shots off in VATS, seemed to do more damage, and I wasn't getting hit as much in combat.

I forget the exact names of everything, but my end game set up was Rawr, Joshua Graham's armor, First Recon Beret, and Lucky Shades.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I guess there is a caveat that the post I made is for if you don't like using VATS. In realtime the industrial hand does far far greater DPS but because of how VATS works it just works like a normal weapon there.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm torn between the Industrial Hand basically being the gauntlet from Quake 3, and Fist of the North Rawr for having the best name :ohdear:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
In my current run, I've gone straight for Old World Blues, to get that out of the way nice and early.
Now, with a Superheated Saturnite Fist and the Stealth Suit, it's just a case of running around, VATSing everything from stealth and watching the gibs fly.
I've also gone for Melee Weapons, so I will be making a run for Chance's Knife. Run being the operative word if my stealth isn't quite up to it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Today I learned of the existence of the Fist of the North Rawr

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Sep 6, 2017

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

aniviron posted:

I mean, you can live however you want, but I recommend not taking heavy handed if only for the Industrial Hand. [...]

Wow, I really missed a trick with that thing, huh? I remember picking it up and being completely unimpressed, possibly because I was trying to use it in VATS and the VATS attacks seemed kind of janky.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Normally VATS is the way to go with melee and unarmed, those weapons get a hidden damage buff in VATS. I almost never use it though, and outside of VATS the industrial hand is the clear winner.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I still don't know why this thread isn't called Old Thread Blues.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the geography of the Mojave in relation to the DLCs. The Mojave visited in the game covers Clark County Nevada and stretches slightly into California in the southwest. The Sierra Madre is probably to the south of Nevada I'm guessing, and Big M.T. is anywhere, really, but close enough to California to have a working relationship with Hopeville before the war.

So my questions regard The Divide and Zion. Traveling to Zion takes two weeks ingame from the northern passage. Zion Canyon kind of straddles the line between Nevada and southern Utah, but Stella mentions that they might have to contend with the 80s, as she'd fought them working in Caliente. Except that the 80s take their name from I-80, which runs through Cali and Utah on its way east, and is a good hundred miles or so from Zion canyon, and New Canaan is supposed to be north of great salt lake, even further north.

Just how much of Nevada did the honest hearts expedition cross to get to Zion, and why would the new canaanites range so far south through 80s and white leg territory to trade with happy trails? I get not taking I-80 from Sacramento because of the Raiders, but cutting through raider territory from Southern Nevada seems like a gigantic detour that is no safer considering the 80s cover a huge region if they range that far south.

The Divide is a little easier to orient. It's in California near Death Valley, probably in the mountains somewhere given its role as a missile base. But still, given the relative sizes of both the NCR and the Legion, I'm still left wondering why they don't just try leapfrogging each other further north. Everything is so razor focused on the Dam that the entire northern fronts of each nation are almost an afterthought.

Actually come to think of it that makes perfect sense given the context of the dam and what it ideologically stands for in the eyes of both parties. NCR wants the dam to power all of California while Caesar wants his Rubicon, and everything north or south of Clark County might as well not exist.

But anyways, can someone with a better geological undedtanding of the USA give me a hand orienting myself with these two regions?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I'm not much more familiar with the region than you, but I always got the impression that the locations for the DLCs were left vague because Obsidian didn't quite have the geography nailed down either. The one thing I will say for Zion and the 80s it that it seems probable for the gang to have started on I-80 but that their territory has significantly expanded and they control areas which are not directly on the highway now.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
New Canaan being situated on Great Salt Lake still means that the Mormons are taking a ridiculously long route to go down to Zion and they're still crossing 80s territory to do so. I have no idea what Jed Masterson was thinking by heading out from Southern Nevada to trade with people from Northern Utah while meeting in a nearly unreachable canyon halfway and surrounded by hostile tribes.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

New Canaan being situated on Great Salt Lake still means that the Mormons are taking a ridiculously long route to go down to Zion and they're still crossing 80s territory to do so. I have no idea what Jed Masterson was thinking by heading out from Southern Nevada to trade with people from Northern Utah while meeting in a nearly unreachable canyon halfway and surrounded by hostile tribes.

Ted did get killed, so maybe everything posted is correct and Ted Masterson is a fool?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

There's always the possibility that what looks like a more direct route via Google Earth isn't possible in the post-apocalypse. There may be a situation like when you try to go north straight to New Vegas, where it's a shorter route but absolutely filled with dangerous beasts like Deathclaws and cazadores. There could also be pockets of radiation, harsh weather like the Divide's sandstorms, destroyed geography like craters and rockslides from the nukes, and other dangerous gangs that control the territory so tightly that you'd be lucky to make it through alive.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Yeah, SLC got loving vaporized by nukes and the implication is that everything that isn't Vegas got hosed pretty hard. Not quite tag teamed by giant gently caress bots but still hosed.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
I picked up an old save where I decided to fast travel to bloodborne cave with Boone to get to the brotherhood safehouse. Well Oscar Velasco was standing in that exact spot and shot us point blank with a grenade rifle the instant I arrived and blew us all up

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I appreciate how Obsidian maintained Marcus's abbreviated vocabulary from Fallout 2. He's definitely intelligent, but he doesn't bother being articulate when his personality is straightforward. it sets a nice contrast between him and Keene, the well spoken but unstable NIghtkin. And Neil, Davison, Tabitha and Lily all have their own vocal patterns as well that are all different.

I wish there were more talky mutants in New Vegas. Wind Brahmin herder doesn't count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
I was walking toward Ranger Station Charlie from Harper's Shack when I saw two small objects bouncing down the hill. I approached them where they stopped and it was a pair of eyeballs. I looked behind me and some geckos had killed a bighorner