Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

I don't own an instant pot, i bought a decent sized pressure cooker from a garage sale. I've made this four times and it's quickly become one of my favorite recipes:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/04/pressure-cooker-fast-and-easy-chicken-chile-verde-recipe.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hell Yeah posted:

I don't own an instant pot, i bought a decent sized pressure cooker from a garage sale. I've made this four times and it's quickly become one of my favorite recipes:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/04/pressure-cooker-fast-and-easy-chicken-chile-verde-recipe.html

I wonder if I can cut this down by half since I have Duo Mini. It takes 3 liters, IIRC. Maybe I'll do halfsies...

edit: Oh, wait - I don't have a blender. drat.

edit2: This, though, I can do! http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/quick-and-easy-pressure-cooker-chicken-lentil-bacon-stew-recipe.html

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 13, 2017

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
So...anyone make ramen broth in their Instant Pot? How did it go?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I've got a recipe for some salsa Verde chicken that's for the slow cooker. I'm going to try and make it in my pressure cooker, which I think will be fine.

However, I also want to make some brown rice to go with it. Can I add stock + rice to the cooker and cook everything at once?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Any tips for making beef stock? I got a couple of marrow bones for cheap, and I wanna make some broth from them. What're the steps for making it in an Instant Pot? Do I still need to blanch and roast the bones or anything?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

Any tips for making beef stock? I got a couple of marrow bones for cheap, and I wanna make some broth from them. What're the steps for making it in an Instant Pot? Do I still need to blanch and roast the bones or anything?

This is a pretty good starting off point. Roast the bones, throw in a pot with some veg scraps, cover with water, and pressure cook it for an hour or so. After it's done, strain through cheesecloth, let cool to room temp, chill, then scrape the fat off the top. There, you have beef stock and some suet to use as a cooking fat!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Pollyanna posted:

I like the results I get without roasting the bones, so I just toss bones, scraps, and onion / carrot / green pepper in the instant pot with water and hit it for an hour.

I'm lazy as gently caress though so the taste is probably better with roasting.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Fry the bones to get a bit of brown on them using Saute on the Instant Pot.

One thing I've found annoying with my instant pot, when doing a two part cook, the lid wont go back on properly again straight after the first cook (after adding some additional ingredients).
Residual heat/pressure throws up the lock. But once I do get it on, it seems fine, it thinks it's up to pressure properly and starts counting down, but it isnt and I end up with a scorched bottom.

Anyone had this?

I think next time maybe I'll try throwing in a splash of cold water, or even a few ice cubes?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How much liquid do you need when cooking? I heard something about a 1cup minimum?

Also, looking around, there's a surprising dearth of Instant Pot recipes on YouTube. :psyduck:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 14, 2017

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Pollyanna posted:

How much liquid do you need when cooking? I heard something about a 1cup minimum?

One cup is what Instant Pot recommends, but it will depend on what you're cooking.
https://www.dadcooksdinner.com/instant-pot-frequently-asked-questions/

Also, that only applies to actual pressure cooking, not to the saute mode with the top off.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It also depends on whether your cooker vents or is completely sealed.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
And how much water is in your ingredients. Think tomatoes, carrots etc.

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow
Living without a proper kitchen (no stove or oven) the instantpot has been my go to for meals. It's the best thing ever for making most curries and many Indian dishes.

Also perfect rice every time.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Made bean soup in my Instantpot today, delicious. I generally make soup/stew from whatever is in the fridge and this is the first ever I wrote down what I used. My family doesn't like spicy food and this is not spicy at all. I didn't add any salt because the salt cured ham hock is super duper salty, I've already learned my lesson. I could have used more of some spices but usually I don't measure at all so I wanted an idea of what a specific quantity would taste like.

ts = 1 teaspoon

2 onion
2 serrano
1/2 cup frozen corn
ts garlic minced
ts Alton Brown chili powder
ts pureed chipotle/adobo
ts cumin
ts smoked paprika
1/3 cup tomato sauce
1 small apple diced
48 oz of unsalted beef stock
1 - 12 oz salt cured ham hock

bad picture

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

The outside of my instant pot got a dent in it--is that an issue for future cooking or safety? I'm sure it's just cosmetic, but I wanted to make sure since it's my first pressure cooker.

Also, thanks for all of the help everyone's provided so far!

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Which Instant Pot do I want and do I want an Instant Pot specifically?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Today I learned that ratatouille isn't a good fit for the Instant Pot. :downs: I may as well have stuck in some leftover chicken, added pasta, and made a chicken soup.

I dunno if it was the zucchini or the red pepper, but pressure cooking these veggies gave them a weird sickly sweet quality to them and eughhhhhhhhhh.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Dogwood Fleet posted:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/08/equipment-the-best-pressure-cookers-review.html

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-pressure-cooker/

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I can't answer because I've never owned a different pressure cooker and mine was a gift so I never researched them, but I have a Duo and really like it if that helps.

Niemat posted:

... dent ...

I would send that question to Instant Pot.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Thanks for the links, they were really helpful!

I should have been asking about specifics though. There are three of us right now, but hopefully I'll be out on my own in a year or two. Do I need an 8 quart pot or is a 6 okay? Are the extra quarts worth the trade-off for extra features? Some of the fancier Instant Pots only come in a 6 quart size. Do recipes generally need a 6 or 8 quart sizes? Also for those of you with an Instant Pot, how well has it held up over time?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have a 3 quart size due to space limitations, and it's a bit small - I often have to cut recipes in half. If you've got a few people already, I'd spring for more than that.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

For pressure cookers, I'd say go with the biggest capacity you can (aside from something massive like pressure canner-sized). You'll never really wish you had a smaller cooker, but you'll frequently find yourself wishing you had a larger one if you go too small. I have an 8 quart Presto Stainless Steel and it's the perfect size.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
What setting do I use to fry things in my instant pot? Just put in a 220V outlet?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

You're not supposed to fry in an Instant Pot. I would recommend against it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Re: size
Mine is a 6 qt, family of 4, and I've never wished for a bigger pot.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Croatoan posted:

What setting do I use to fry things in my instant pot? Just put in a 220V outlet?

You use the "unplugged and put away in a cabinet" setting, because you should not try to fry things in your instant pot.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Trastion posted:

I used this one, her site has some good recipes, for one a few weeks ago and basically did the same thing again. https://thisoldgal.com/pressure-cooker-fresh-berry-compote/

Basically a couple pounds of fruit, 1/4c or so of sugar and let it sit for 20 minutes to break down. Then seal up and cook under pressure for 1 minute. Apples and harder fruit will take around 5 minutes. Add whatever other spices you want before cooking of course. I put Cinnamon and Nutmeg in my apple compote and it is great.

I found that you don't really need to add the lemon/orange juice. Each batch has been pretty juicy after, even too much so. I added it to the raspberry and blackberry one because they didn't get very juicy after sitting for 20 minutes but in the end I don't think I needed it and will not so it next time.

Can you basically freely substitute other fruit in this recipe?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Neon Noodle posted:

So...anyone make ramen broth in their Instant Pot? How did it go?

I was planning on trying a tonkotsu broth tonight, and then Kenji reckons it will be a clear broth because the pressure cooker won't create a rolling boil. I'm still going to try it because I don't really give a gently caress about authenticity so long as it tastes good. I'll update the thread later if I end up trying it.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
pressure cooker is great for stock. I've made plenty of Hong Kong superior stock in mine over the years.

just made a simple pork and chicken ramen broth in my instant pot a while ago and it was great, cooked it at pressure for about 45 minutes iirc

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Just started the aforementioned stock. Had some leftover zucchini, carrots, and broccoli, so I dumped them in with the marrow bones and filled it up to 2/3 full. Gonna let it go for an hour and see where I am by the end of it.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
OK I am making the pork feet + chicken carcass ramen broth in the instant pot right now. Loosely followed Kenji's traditional recipe without the pre-boil and obviously I'm not doing the 12 hour stove-top rolling boil.

large hands posted:

pressure cooker is great for stock. I've made plenty of Hong Kong superior stock in mine over the years.

just made a simple pork and chicken ramen broth in my instant pot a while ago and it was great, cooked it at pressure for about 45 minutes iirc

Was it the traditional cloudy broth, or clear like Kenji says?

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Ranter posted:

OK I am making the pork feet + chicken carcass ramen broth in the instant pot right now. Loosely followed Kenji's traditional recipe without the pre-boil and obviously I'm not doing the 12 hour stove-top rolling boil.

Was it the traditional cloudy broth, or clear like Kenji says?

It was pretty clear. I wasn't going for the crazy milky tonkotsu style, though, just a basic broth...

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pressure cooking marrow bones for stock turned out quite well. After straining out the bones and veg scraps, the broth was clearer than I expected and had a nice jiggle to it even though it was still very hot. I assume that means I did it correctly :woop:

I wish beef/pork bones were cheaper so I could buy more at a time. I mean, they're still super cheap, but I'm stingy as gently caress. Also, I don't have the space for it, but a 6+ quart cooker is quite a bit more useful than 3 quart. Maybe when I get a new apartment, I'll upgrade from a Duo Mini.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

Pressure cooking marrow bones for stock turned out quite well. After straining out the bones and veg scraps, the broth was clearer than I expected and had a nice jiggle to it even though it was still very hot. I assume that means I did it correctly :woop:

I wish beef/pork bones were cheaper so I could buy more at a time. I mean, they're still super cheap, but I'm stingy as gently caress. Also, I don't have the space for it, but a 6+ quart cooker is quite a bit more useful than 3 quart. Maybe when I get a new apartment, I'll upgrade from a Duo Mini.

You should set an alert on a site like slickdeals or camelcamelcamel for a larger size pressure cooker. The Instant Pot goes on sale at least a couple times a year, and for Prime Day a little while back a really nice model was on a steep discount.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Yeah on Prime Day they were selling the 8 quart cheaper than the 6.

So Pork ramen broth: Came out deep brown, semi-clear. It was like a 'good' beef Consommé. Not what you want when making tonkotsu but it tasted good.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Croatoan posted:

I think the people above thought you meant deep-frying, which you definitely shouldn't try to do. But the instant pot is intended to pan-fry/sear meat if that's what you're trying to do.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

I think the people above thought you meant deep-frying, which you definitely shouldn't try to do. But the instant pot is intended to pan-fry/sear meat if that's what you're trying to do.

...and that's the "saute" setting.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Guys, it's what is called a joke post. Suggesting I plug it in a 220v outlet? C'mon.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 19, 2017

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
I made this Bolognese sauce in the pressure cooker the night before last and my fiance is still raving about it. I didn't find pancetta so I just used smoked bacon and I forgot to add the cream at the end, but it was still amazing. We have yet to be disappointed by the pressure cooker.

EDIT: If I make this cream of mushroom soup but use my leftover beef stock instead of the vegetable stock in the recipe (and omit the added salt), does that sound like it would result in some sort of catastrophe or would that probably be fine?

Ignoranus fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Ignoranus posted:

I made this Bolognese sauce in the pressure cooker the night before last and my fiance is still raving about it. I didn't find pancetta so I just used smoked bacon and I forgot to add the cream at the end, but it was still amazing. We have yet to be disappointed by the pressure cooker.

EDIT: If I make this cream of mushroom soup but use my leftover beef stock instead of the vegetable stock in the recipe (and omit the added salt), does that sound like it would result in some sort of catastrophe or would that probably be fine?

Do you like beefy and mushroomy flavors together? I think it would be mighty tasty....