Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

David Tennant is an absolute treasure.

Yeah, Scrooge and Webby are probably my favorite out of the new cast (and Glomgold sounds almost exactly the same as he did in the old show).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Larryb posted:

Yeah, Scrooge and Webby are probably my favorite out of the new cast (and Glomgold sounds almost exactly the same as he did in the old show).

Speaking of Webby;

The animation team clearly has Opinions about her old design.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

Speaking of Webby;

The animation team clearly has Opinions about her old design.

Well, about her doll from the old show, anyway, considering that's what it's supposed to be.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Larryb posted:

So how well does the original show still hold up? I was thinking of giving it a rewatch one of these days.

It has a timeless Disney quality throughout most of its run. But like any cartoon of the era it had to produce so many episodes that there's definitely some lower effort ones thrown in. It has several multipart episodes that are really good though so it balances out the lower quality ones.

A lot of the Disney Afternoon cartoons are similar. There's only a few stinkers in the bunch like Bonkers or Quack Pack. And the less said about Shnookums and Meat the better.

X-O fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 15, 2017

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

X-O posted:

It has a timeless Disney quality throughout most of its run. But like any cartoon of the era it had to produce so many episodes that there's definitely some lower effort ones thrown in. It has several multipart episodes that are really good though so it balances out the lower quality ones.

It also introduced a caveduck late in the show who didn't add much and for some reason didn't appear in the same episodes as Gizmoduck.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

The original Ducktales is sort of a distant memory to me, something that I watched some of as a little kid, but not enough to remember any details outside of recognizing various iconic characters. Over the years, however, I've picked up bits and pieces of the comic's content and thought it sounded interesting, but only read a few stories of. After watching the pilot and the shorts, this new series feels like it's just the thing to pull me in all the way.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

X-O posted:

A lot of the Disney Afternoon cartoons are similar. There's only a few stinkers in the bunch like Bonkers or Quack Pack. And the less said about Shnookums and Meat the better.

That said, I'm still baffled that Gummi Bears somehow ran for SIX seasons.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I loved the original series as a kid, but to me it mostly hasn't aged well, unlike the Barks and Rosa comics that I still read today. I think I liked the final season with Gizmoduck and the movie the most, but the first season is still watchable.

The episodes with Bubba the cave duck are horrible, though.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Wasn't there a DuckTales episode with a bunch of ancient Confederate soldiers holed up in a cave somewhere?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gaz-L posted:

That said, I'm still baffled that Gummi Bears somehow ran for SIX seasons.

That six seasons is different that what you would normally consider six seasons. They only made 65 episodes of that show total. That's really only one standard season's worth of episodes for cartoons at that time. Ducktales had 100 episodes over four seasons. Darkwing Duck had 91 episodes in three seasons. TaleSpin also had 65 episodes but that was over the course of one season.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Wasn't there a DuckTales episode with a bunch of ancient Confederate soldiers holed up in a cave somewhere?

Not quite.

Wikipedia posted:

"Launchpad's Civil War"

When going to Virginia for an American Civil War reenactment, Launchpad encounters aged Union veterans who once served under his ancestor, who had lost a battle. Meanwhile, Doofus and the nephews learn that a businessman is exploiting the reenactments for financial gain. Launchpad works to avenge his family's honor by rallying the old veterans to a "rematch" of sorts against the reenactors.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Ballz posted:

Do we know how many episodes were made?

Twenty-one normal episodes and two double-length specials in season one, and season two is already confirmed.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

kefkafloyd posted:

Ma Beagle and the Beagle Boys (beloved character actress Margo Martindale and Eric Bauza) are also around to get in Scrooge’s way and commit their own brand of canine felony.

Wait, wait, hold up. Mags loving Bennett is going to be in this thing :stare:

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Just gonna respond to a point made in the Kids General thread with some stray thoughts I had:

Ballz posted:

The "What looms larger than McDuck's shadow?" riddle immediately made me think of Duckburg's giant Cornelius Coot statue. That's probably not it, tho.

Honestly, that made me think of Lost ("What lies in the shadow of the statue?") and how that show turned anyone who watched it for more than two episodes into a gibbering conspiracy theorist. That's probably not it either, though.

Also, now I'm wondering if "Don Rosa as a little girl who knows kung-fu" is not an inaccurate way of describing the new Webby.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Luey should be listed in the OP as "The evil one". Episode confirmed that he is the evil triplet.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

howe_sam posted:

Wait, wait, hold up. Mags loving Bennett is going to be in this thing :stare:

Yeah, it's really just ideal casting.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I watched the pilot today and I think I'll def. be continuing this series as it goes on. Though do we really not get another episode until next month? Is Disney already doing this to me?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
This was really really good and the animation is gorgeous. It had some really funny jokes, and Beakley may have been the star of the episode.

"Oh, they're safe and sound back in the room with all the fire and the snakes!" was line of the show.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

I think my favourite was the random Launchpad interjections of him being a pilot

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

My favorites were anything with Louie. Especially so right at the beginning when Donald asked where Dewey was and Huey said "Who's Dewey?" and then Louie just slowly turns his head and says "Who's Dewey?" incredulously.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I'm very excited to see more single-character focused episodes. It was an interesting risk to have the show open with such a heavy focus on Dewey and it really paid off.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

So when does the rest of the season air again?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

So when does the rest of the season air again?

Next episode is September 23, from then on it looks like there will be a new episode every Saturday.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 15, 2017

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Good Listener posted:

I watched the pilot today and I think I'll def. be continuing this series as it goes on. Though do we really not get another episode until next month? Is Disney already doing this to me?

To be fair, they probably could've waited to premier around the anniversary, but they did this instead to build up the hype for when it does happen.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

kefkafloyd posted:

Gladstone Gander (Paul F. Tomkins) is the luckiest goose in the world, and everything comes easy to him. While Scrooge and Donald might not agree on much, Gladstone’s brand of easy living is anathema to both of them, making them a united front against Gladstone’s gladhanding.

Also, I don't know why but for some reason this character design is reminding me of Yoshikage Kira and it's kinda freaking me out.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

gurmgold

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I liked that first set of episodes. Dewey's unfounded confidence at laser dancing was great!

But I only understood about half of Donald's words. Which is weird, since everyone else speaks quite clearly and understands him perfectly. I'm probably far from the first to note that though.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 15, 2017

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Take an idea. Make it your own. Never finish it.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

I liked that first set of episodes. Dewey's unfounded confidence at laser dancing was great!

But I only understood about half of Donald's words. Which is weird, since everyone else speaks quite clearly and understands him perfectly. I'm probably far from the first to note that though.

I had some trouble in the first few scenes, but was able to pick up after that.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Man, there's a much wider variety of animal people in this show, and the dogmen even look like actual dogs.

I love how much the coloring style does to make it look like an old comic, from the dots to the way that the coloring fills are slightly offset from the lines. I never really knew how comic printing worked for that to happen.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 15, 2017

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

SlothfulCobra posted:

I love how much the coloring style does to make it look like an old comic, from the dots to the way that the coloring fills are slightly offset from the lines. I never really knew how comic printing worked for that to happen.

When anything is printed on a printing press, it's divided up into plates (one for each separation, usually CMYK but can contain spot colors). These plates run on their own cylinders, which transfer the images on to blanket cylinders. The paper hits these blanket cylinders and the image is transferred one after another. Unfortunately, due to mechanical tolerances on the press, these images never line up exactly, so you can end up with misregistration of colors (gaps or shifts between seps). Linework is usually black and all ends up on its own separation. The colors shift due to misregistration, thus producing the slight offset.

This is compensated for with trapping, which spreads or chokes colors to fill in these gaps. In the Bad Old Days™ trapping was achieved when doing actual color separation where a bunch of people would place precisely sized color tints on the material which would then be exposed on to the plates. In modern times a computer does it all, but trapping within contones is still painful so most comics are not traditionally trapped. People cheat by putting undercolor on the black linework, but modern presses are a lot better at holding register.

I work in the print business. :negative:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

cant cook creole bream posted:

They seem to vary a lot on how unintelligible Donald is, probably so plot-important lines are easy to understand. Of course, like a thick accent, I bet viewers will find him easier to understand over time. (presuming the gap between episodes isn't so big as to forget it every time)

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So, do you think Scrooge got the triplets mom killed, or did she just vanish? Also, why didn't Webby have anything on her board about Donald's sis? Not even a silhouette like McDuck's grandparents did.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I don't think Disney would let them go as dark as explicitly killing her off. My guess is she vanished and/or they think she died, but will come back at some point. I could see it being a season-long arc that comes up from time to time, culminating in the finale.

There's a lot of foreboding messages Webby's accumulated on her wall chart. Will be fun seeing how much of it is addressed in episodes to come.

Edit: on an unrelated note, if you're a fan of the show but are not familiar with the comics, I just want to briefly plug how Fantagraphics is doing hardcover collections called the Carl Barks Library* and the Don Rosa Library respectively, with new volumes coming out about twice a year. I think Rosa is almost complete, with one or two volumes left. Because Barks was a goddamned comic writing machine for 20+ years, his collection won't be finished any time soon.

They're readily available on Amazon or nicer comic book shops. Don't expect the show to follow these comics closely, but their influence is abundantly clear and I can't recommend them enough for both kids and adults.

*Not to be confused with another collection called the Carl Barks Library that came out in the 80s. That is a physically gigantic 10-volume hardcover black and white set that is a big collector's item nowadays. It's totally awesome but finding some volumes can get pricey.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 16, 2017

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I've seen a fan theory about Della floating around that draws from the fact that the breaking point incident between Donald and Scrooge being an adventure centering around the Spear of Selene, a european comic explaining Della's absence by having it turn out that she's an astronaut in deep space, and the fact that at comiccon they confirmed that they're gonna use the Moon Theme

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

RandomPauI posted:

So, do you think Scrooge got the triplets mom killed, or did she just vanish? Also, why didn't Webby have anything on her board about Donald's sis? Not even a silhouette like McDuck's grandparents did.
It's not as bad as "killed", I don't think Donald would have trusted Scrooge if he got anyone (much less his own sister) killed and that would be a heck of a ask logic wise from the writers.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
One theory that's popped up is that she's somehow become Magica, or at least been possessed by her, would certainly explain why they've been so tight lipped about her despite being the original show's most iconic villain

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
Not sure I'd care for Magica being turned into some kind of supernatural entity herself instead of a sorceress who just uses supernatural powers.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Atlantis collapsing because of shoddy construction is amusing. I haven't seen a lot of the original show but from reading a fair bit of the comics, the actual ancient treasures, civilisations and various mysteries that Scrooge and the ducks explore tend to be pretty tongue-in-cheek and pun-derived, rather than necessarily building their own major lore and metaplot. (and Scrooge likes to find practical uses for ancient artifacts)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I watched the first episodes of this last night and it's loving brilliant. Between this and Sonic Mania I'm having a very good week.