Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Rexides posted:

Actually I think it is the case. Rick did defeat Worldender and set up those elaborate Saw puzzles as a roundabout way of expressing how hurt he is that Morty idolizes the Vindicators instead of him. He does not explicitly state it because a) it would not fit the tone of whacky nihilistic sci-fi rigmarole and b) he was piss drunk. I mean, in the end the writers had to put a line to make it clear that he does not, in fact, care about some random guy more than his own grandson, when he doesn't even remember his name. Morty is angry not because Rick cares about Noob Noob more than him, but because he was thiiiiiiis close to admitting that he cares about his family, but chickened out in the end.

It was that, and Morty being really tired of cleaning up after Rick's alcohol excesses. Like, him disarming the neutrino bomb was the Rick and Morty version of some kid cleaning Daddy's vomit out of the carpet for the umpteen time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Bust Rodd posted:

The best gag was Rick's "oh God loving DAMMIT" when Morty invokes his 10th adventure. That was the best delivery on that line imaginable and the way Morty just powers through it is gold.

I love that in a vacuum, to someone who didn't see the earlier episode, the 'punch card' adventure redemption is just a funny bit - but having seen the previous episode, it's a safe and enjoyable callback. Worked well.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Best episode ever? Holy poo poo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nah that's still Rixty Minutes

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I didn't like this speech when it aired because it felt a little too "Justin Roiland hijacking the character to rant about his own pet peeves" but given the events of the last 10 months leading up to this past weekend I think it's even more hilariously naive. "The public giving a poo poo about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction" indeed.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That speech works better now because people are getting bothered by funny violent scenes.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I don't know if it was my favorite episode but I will say drunk Rick slurring "that's a three pointer" in the middle of Alan Rails and Supernova fighting was probably my favorite moment from the whole show. I don't know but that made me laugh harder than anything else.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

alpha_destroy posted:

I don't know if it was my favorite episode but I will say drunk Rick slurring "that's a three pointer" in the middle of Alan Rails and Supernova fighting was probably my favorite moment from the whole show. I don't know but that made me laugh harder than anything else.

This episode was just chock full of moments like that. Man I loved it so much.

Also anybody upset about the violence in the last couple episodes: Its clearly not going anywhere! :)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Complaining about gross violence in rick and morty is like being upset about quips in a Joss Wedon thingy. There's going to be violence, there's going to be gross looking ball-sack monsters exploding, things are going to be gross, things are going to be violence, often gross AND violent. If anything it's toned the gently caress down from his early work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpejckQgpeg.
(warning, poo poo EATING AND STAB HOLE loving)

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 15, 2017

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

Complaining about gross violence in rick and morty is like being upset about quips in a Joss Wedon thingy. There's going to be violence, there's going to be gross looking ball-sack monsters exploding, things are going to be gross, things are going to be violence, often gross AND violent. If anything it's toned the gently caress down from his early work

Have we had ballsack monsters this season yet? We need them.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Much in the way Giger's work was fractal cyber penises and vaginas and boobs all the way down, Roiland's stuff is all wrinkly balls and penis trees.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
So, did rick kill all of worldenders goons during an orgy or did he position the bodies in sex acts for giggles?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Much in the way Giger's work was fractal cyber penises and vaginas and boobs all the way down, Roiland's stuff is all wrinkly balls and penis trees.

you forgot the poo poo eating

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

Nah that's still Rixty Minutes

(my opinion of the episode has improved on a rewatch though). Also blackout-Rick strikes me as the type to pose dead minions in sex poses.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
Is no one else going to comment on Morty letting Earth be sterilized and ultimately leading to the extinction of humanity because he'd rather go on cool space adventures with a bunch of superheroes he met once?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
upon reading the reactions to the av club reviews I think I like this episode even more because av club commentators are really insanely bad

it's like beyond the standard level of own-fart sniffing I've grown accustomed to from the av club crowd

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

NecroMonster posted:

you forgot the poo poo eating

It really is his obsession.
This is his imdb picture:

That's chocolate and its kinda funny but when you look at all the facts it seems like he's kinda hung up on it.

And not just poo poo eating, but any "poo poo" period really.

Notice how Rick had diarrhea all over the table? That's Roiland. It could have just been "rick pooped himself" but Roiland had to go for the full poop smear all over the room look. And it had to be diarrhea.

And I'll never forget the cringe when they were being interviewed on some red carpet or something, and decided to do some R&M improv. Which resulted in 10 minutes of Justin Roiland talking about injecting feces into Morty's knees. (As a quick joke that'd be kinda funny because feces does kinda rhyme with knees but he just. kept. going.)

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
You can buy the episodes on amazon the day after they air

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Baronjutter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpejckQgpeg.
(warning, poo poo EATING AND STAB HOLE loving)

I don't mind the violence or whatever (I loved superjail for instance) but it's gotta be cut with something and the previous seasons were exceptional at contrasting some terrible poo poo (either violence in LWP or depresso espresso with Unity) with funny characters and good dialogue. So far this season the writing isn't keeping up with the themes and it's bumming me out man.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

Rick only loves his family if they don't know he loves them. Morty got all cocky and the end of the amusement-park ride was beautiful. :swoon:

Yeah,at the end of the day Rick saying he doesn't care is an act. There wasn't anyone to play when he was looking at pictures of his family at the bar waiting to get arrested.

People shortchange Morty's mental fortitude in this strip. Kid walks away from his childhood idol being bisected and casually solves a puzzle.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 15, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

abigserve posted:

I don't mind the violence or whatever (I loved superjail for instance) but it's gotta be cut with something and the previous seasons were exceptional at contrasting some terrible poo poo (either violence in LWP or depresso espresso with Unity) with funny characters and good dialogue. So far this season the writing isn't keeping up with the themes and it's bumming me out man.

I get it, this season has seemed a bit more... nihilistic.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
People say this show is dark, but it's just violent.

Bojack Horseman, where the titular character sleeps with a girl he met pre-puberty, convinces her to ditch sobriety, and ultimately causes her death.

And that's just one plot point!

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

alpha_destroy posted:

This and Morty's adventure card were my favorite things.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Somehow this was Sable taneously my least favorite episode of the season so far and also had all of my favorite one-liners.

I think it was one of the weakest Rick episodes in one of the best Morty episodes

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
This whole episode was just a plot device setup IMO

If you pay attention, every video save the last one is recorded in the exact same location with Rick getting progressively more piss drunk.

The last video's background looks a lot like the cave they are stranded on and Rick doesn't look as wasted and has his coat back on.

The last video WAS in fact Rick admitting he cares about Morty, but at the beginning during the first SAW puzzle he remembers what the last video was, gets embarassed and says "Ok, I think we've seen enough, I'll just figure out how to unplug this" and runs outside of everyone's view and re-records the last video. The sit activating when Morty sat down WAS programmed to activate when Morty sat down. He just couldn't remotely sabotage it.

Later down the season Morty will probably get fed up about Rick and tell him to go eat a dick only to later find out the original recording

Enough :tinfoil: for today

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I think it was funny how Worldender was introduced as a deadly galaxy-conquering super villain, only to be killed off screen by drunken Rick.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
He wasn't killed offscreen. He was still alive when they found him. He spent all night dying on that hook.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cojawfee posted:

He wasn't killed offscreen. He was still alive when they found him. He spent all night dying on that hook.

Well, I bet he wished he was dead.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Zaphod42 posted:

It really is his obsession.
This is his imdb picture:

That's chocolate and its kinda funny but when you look at all the facts it seems like he's kinda hung up on it.

And not just poo poo eating, but any "poo poo" period really.

Notice how Rick had diarrhea all over the table? That's Roiland. It could have just been "rick pooped himself" but Roiland had to go for the full poop smear all over the room look. And it had to be diarrhea.

And I'll never forget the cringe when they were being interviewed on some red carpet or something, and decided to do some R&M improv. Which resulted in 10 minutes of Justin Roiland talking about injecting feces into Morty's knees. (As a quick joke that'd be kinda funny because feces does kinda rhyme with knees but he just. kept. going.)

Poop is gotdang funny sometimes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

lezard_valeth posted:

This whole episode was just a plot device setup IMO

If you pay attention, every video save the last one is recorded in the exact same location with Rick getting progressively more piss drunk.

The last video's background looks a lot like the cave they are stranded on and Rick doesn't look as wasted and has his coat back on.

The last video WAS in fact Rick admitting he cares about Morty, but at the beginning during the first SAW puzzle he remembers what the last video was, gets embarassed and says "Ok, I think we've seen enough, I'll just figure out how to unplug this" and runs outside of everyone's view and re-records the last video. The sit activating when Morty sat down WAS programmed to activate when Morty sat down. He just couldn't remotely sabotage it.

Later down the season Morty will probably get fed up about Rick and tell him to go eat a dick only to later find out the original recording

Enough :tinfoil: for today

I think all this is great, except I don't see them having Morty find the original recording.

Morty was already calling out Rick on his poo poo A LOT this episode, the fact that he knew about the neutron bomb even surprised Rick. Hopefully this will bring the two of them together a bit more.

CelticPredator posted:

Poop is gotdang funny sometimes.

Fair. I mean some of those jokes, like "Mr. Poopy Butthole" that name alone is GOLD. Solid gold baby. But I don't think having Rick drunkenly diarrhea everywhere was necessary.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Zaphod42 posted:

Fair. I mean some of those jokes, like "Mr. Poopy Butthole" that name alone is GOLD. Solid gold baby. But I don't think having Rick drunkenly diarrhea everywhere was necessary.

With no drunk diarrhea to clean Noob Noob would have been on mission and died.

Poop.and diarrhea are actually very necessary and save lives. :colbert:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I kind of feel like people arguing about whether Rick does or doesn't love his family are missing the point. It doesn't matter if he loves them, what matters is how he treats them. Loving someone doesn't make it hurt any less when you do horrible things to them, and doing the occasional nice thing doesn't cancel out all the times they hosed you over.

Like, regardless of whether or not Rick loves Marty he still got drunk and destroyed something Morty cared about.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Maybe, just maybe, Rick is a bad person.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

World Famous W posted:

Maybe, just maybe, Rick is a bad person.

I don't think there is sufficient evidence to start making such outrageous claims.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

The Human Crouton posted:

I've liked every episode this season, but I worry that the overall story of the show is becoming structured. What was good about the character development in the first two seasons is that it just happened in a show that was disjointed, instead of being a base of the show. Every episode this season is great on its own, but I don't want them to lose sight of making a nonsense show just because the brief moments of reality get the most reaction. I still love the show, but I think it needs more intergalactic cable to remind itself that stupid should come first.

I think this is sort of right. There's always been depressing family moments, but they also usually have bizarre sci-fi and goofing around to buoy the tone. When they focus too much on trying to solve everyone's emotional problems, like this season's theme appears to be, you don't have as much fast-paced weirdness, and it can start to feel like a typical sitcom. The family parts are important too, but they're usually the B plot. On the other hand, I never liked Beth and Jerry having yet another clichéed marriage argument, so it's tricky to balance.

That said, the show's dialogue is still on point. I'd just like to see more frenetic, "Don't think about it!" moments.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think Rick making GBS threads himself is the most humanizing thing he's done in a while. The great badass unstoppable Rick done pooed his pants.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
His shock at realizing how often he talks about Israel when drunk was pretty good. Like he shits himself, well, that's just biology. Weird rants about the Jews? That's a scary thing to find out about yourself.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Mulva posted:

His shock at realizing how often he talks about Israel when drunk was pretty good. Like he shits himself, well, that's just biology. Weird rants about the Jews? That's a scary thing to find out about yourself.

"Just to be clear, this isn't some antisemitic thing, I'm concerned about the geopolitical situation. I'm probably, like, really in favor of Israel...right?"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mulva posted:

Both things are good character stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
This episode felt rather uneven and unsatisfying, but I guess that's the point as people have already mentioned.

Baronjutter posted:

Complaining about gross violence in rick and morty is like being upset about quips in a Joss Wedon thingy.

Speaking of which, it was fun for MCU-style comedy to get mocked a bit. Also finally getting to see Tony Stark/Star-Lord being brutally murdered was really :unsmith:

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Aug 15, 2017