Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Holy gently caress the Chemical Plant Act 2 Boss :vince:

Also, chalk me up as being loving terrible at Blue Sphere this time around as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Trash Boat posted:

Holy gently caress the Chemical Plant Act 2 Boss :vince:

Also, chalk me up as being loving terrible at Blue Sphere this time around as well.

I'm ok at it but I really hope nothing great is behind the obvious Get all Gold coins deal because woof.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ConanThe3rd posted:

I'm ok at it but I really hope nothing great is behind the obvious Get all Gold coins deal because woof.

It unlocks "& Knuckles" mode.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I will retreat from the thread, as my collectors edition should roll in later today.

Godspeed, my sonic pals.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Played up to the end of Flying Battery Zone. Game is soooo good.

Make sure to fill out your player surveys everyone! Send all your love to Taxman and Stealth and all your questionable demands to Sega!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

It unlocks "& Knuckles" mode.

As in Knuckles follows sonic?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Well it's almost 2am and I really need to go to bed because I have to work tomorrow

Omfg I was hyped for this game but it even exceeds my expectations

Game of the century

Christian Whitehead is a god among men who so happens to look like a 1970s rock star

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ConanThe3rd posted:

As in Knuckles follows sonic?

And Tails.

And Knuckles.

Knuckles & Knuckles.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

btw you can make Tail fly in Sonic and Tails mode by holding up and double pressing jump, just like in Sonic 3C

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I just want this to be out on Switch already :(

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

65 minutes (hopefully)

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

And Tails.

And Knuckles.

Knuckles & Knuckles.

No shittin' about that last one?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ConanThe3rd posted:

No shittin' about that last one?

It's true.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I'm surprised to find myself using the dropdash a lot. It doesn't work in all situations, and it's far from a replacement for a full power spindash, but it's a neat and fun technique that makes the gameplay flow even smoother than it already did

also it's a purely aesthetic change but the way Sonic now enters the Super Peel-Out pose at the highest speeds is awesome and just feels satisfying

Augus fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Aug 15, 2017

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Man am I getting some serious Freedom Planet vibes from the aesthetic and bits of the level structure in Press Garden Zone,

Trash Boat fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Aug 15, 2017

PhantomPayne
Aug 8, 2017

I should think before posting
I felt like a ten year old sitting in front of my TV playing with my best pal Sonic.

The gameplay is spot on, and the second zone boss had me with the biggest smile, also the act 2 remixes with Sonic CD era instrumentations are the best.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
this game owns.

and I can't believe in 2017 some of my favorite titles this year have been a new sonic the hedgehog game and a new resident evil game.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Is it out yet for Switch.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib

MonsterEnvy posted:

Is it out yet for Switch.

No. Maybe in umm 20 min?? (please)

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

It released here in the UK some time in the AM (8AM now)

Sonic Mania is good. Glad I bought a Switch to play it :unsmith:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Lights, Camera, Action

(it's out on Switch)

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's HAPPENING.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Beasteh posted:

It released here in the UK some time in the AM (8AM now)

Sonic Mania is good. Glad I bought a Switch to play it :unsmith:

It released precisely at midnight, and it was good, so good. I had trouble sleeping because I kept waking up every hour or so wanting to play more Sonic Mania.

Also re: blue sphere lag, I think it feels like lag because it doesn't accept your input until it hits the end of each individual checkered square.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

3 gold blue sphere things and 2 emeralds after Green Hill. I love sonic

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

This game is making me so ridiculously happy you guys

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
This is game is so good. I grew up with Mario in my childhood, but I played the trilogy a few years later. Man this captures the joy I felt during Sonic 2 and 3 and Knuckles so well.

Though I think I ran into a bug. I ended up dying at the Chemical Plant Zone Act 2 boss when I won that fight. This is on the Switch version, for the record.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

I how I broke Tails by getting him stuck in spinball on the first boss

Also the game is great in Handheld mode on Switch. Was able to get two Chaos Emeralds and beat 4/5 blue spheres.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So if I do not want to play Co Op, Sonic and Tails is basically the same as Sonic only with an AI player trying to catch up and effectively having an extra hit during boss battles. Is there anything else?

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

You can control him to fly like Sonic Advance with one controller and ride him like in Sonic 3

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I let out a excited scream when I saw chemical plants boss. Shame it's so easy though :v:

I'm up to Press Garden and calling it a night, if I had one complaint it would be that man these stages are *long*. I'm giving it a pass because it's been good as hell but I feel like I'm almost always scratching up against the time limit outside Green Hill and it's not like I'm standing around at all.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

These day one Youtube LPers are so bad at this loving game. :cripes:

Also one of them had a crash on PS4 after CPZ Act 1, guess it's a good thing PC is getting some extra time for tweaks.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
Played up to Flying Battery.

GODDAMMIT IS THIS GAME GOOD

There is so much to explore, the game handles freaking fantastic and the Special stages need a satisfyingly strange light touch to be good at them.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Jarogue posted:

You can control him to fly like Sonic Advance with one controller and ride him like in Sonic 3

I was playing around with that, yeah. Neat little trick. I am 2 zones into Sonic only but maybe I will start a file with Sonic and Tails and do that for a first play through.

Also, weird quirk with the Switch version: Going using the home button and suspending is pretty sluggish. Takes several seconds for it to go back to the home menu after button press

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Pretty nasty bug is hitting my friend in the switch version. He beat Chemical Plant Zone's boss 2 and it locked him in the room. He ended up having to reset and no idea if it's gonna happen again or what.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
So, a confession. This is my first 2D Sonic, and I've only really played Colors otherwise, though I did also play maybe 30 minutes of Lost World on the 3DS. Only beaten the first two zones so far, and having fun, though Act 1 of zone 2 was a down point, particularly this general area.

The circled part is because half of the deaths for my only two game overs so far were in this area. I assume I was getting squished, but it was in areas it didn't quite seem like I should be. The best by far was when I happened to touch the side of the two rotating platforms while they were lined up vertically and instantly died. :v: The other half were because immediately after getting past this shaft I'd fall down and die due to drowning.

Other than that specific part I'm really enjoying it so far, especially Act 2 of that zone!

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Bloody Pom posted:

These day one Youtube LPers are so bad at this loving game. :cripes:

I concur, like, REALLY bad.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Chemical Plant boss made me fall off my chair. This fuckin game.... :worship:

Gonna play some more after work today but i'm loving it so far.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Unverified, but if true may be may favourite detail. (Very minor spoiler)

quote:

After the second Studiopolis boss, the Eggman TV in the background breaks and shows a test card along with a buzzing/beeping noise. Listen closely.

The noise is a sample from the infamous BZZZZZZZZZ that plagued the 25th Anniversary stream.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Hot take: blue spheres should not be the game's bonus stage and it breaks up the flow of gameplay too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

a good friend pointed out an incredible detail I never would have caught: In Tails's intro, Sonic's wearing a pair of goggles that go unused in Sonic 1

this loving game... I'm behind everyone because I was finishing up a Sonic 3C run, I'm on Studiopolis now, 2 emeralds. The new Blue Sphere stages were designed by a sadist