Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

milk milk lemonade posted:

Okay. Multiply that by four.

Still way less than 6k USD, and wherever you're flying from would be less in the US, Canada is expensive to fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

It costs $1800 minimum to fly my family out of state, regardless of destination.

E: that's for 3 people

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
if your kid's too big to bring on as a lap infant, they're old enough to be checked luggage

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

tbh all children should be in checked luggage.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

pain is a 14 hour flight with a child in your row

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Today I put a week long vacation to the distant land of San Diego on the calendar. I live in Los Angeles County. It's going to be great. Visit some friends, sit on the beach, and most importantly I will feel unemployed. No phone calls, no meetings, no email. Just margaritas.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

H110Hawk posted:

Today I put a week long vacation to the distant land of San Diego on the calendar. I live in Los Angeles County. It's going to be great. Visit some friends, sit on the beach, and most importantly I will feel unemployed. No phone calls, no meetings, no email. Just margaritas.

What's wrong with you? You need to add in a tequila shot with a random girl every other margarita. Have you never been on vacation before?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
I'm going to quote this srspost from before y'all started threadshitting about vacation.

Portland Sucks posted:

I think I posted this in the wrong thread so I'm reposting it here.

So I got hired straight out of college (BS C.S.) a few months back as a "systems engineer" into a oldie manufacturing company who is slowly but (at least from our departmental view) desperately wanting to move into the 21st century. My day to day tasks have been about 50% self initiated following general guidance regarding the kinds of things my boss wants us to be doing. The development I've been doing has mostly been working on their legacy applications that interact with their production systems on request and some data warehousing and automation of data collection from sensors and whatnot. We're in the research department so I'm mostly in a support capacity for the researchers on that end.

Their production systems guys have been developing code in house for the last 10+ years and are pretty dependent on it, but it's a mess. On my own initiative I've rolled out a demonstration development server with a source control/CI workflow, have been creating upgraded versions of current applications to run side by side to introduce them to some potential areas we can improve on, and have been slowly cataloging all of the crippling issues regarding our network. The people who matter have received the idea of it with a lot of enthusiasm and healthy bits of caution (I can't be the only one capable of interacting with the system, we need to develop more talent, etc..).

Without getting to into the weeds about how this came about, there apparently was an internal feud a while back with the net result being that their IT department (under the CFO) said "gently caress it we're not touching it" to their entire production network years ago and gave full control (everything but domain admin) of it over to their systems engineers. So obviously there are dozens of web facing servers running every different type of MS Server you could imagine that haven't been patched in years and heaps of vulnerabilities everywhere. Everyone's known about this but they've just treated it as a sort of non issue because no one has the time to do anything about it, but they don't want IT all in their stuff "slowing things down."

Like an idiot I decided to write up a summary threat analysis of their production servers and had a conversation with my boss about it. The reaction I got was actually really positive and mostly just "well seeing it all in one place like that makes me feel pretty dumb about ignoring this for 10 years. This is a full time job isn't it?" So now the idea of creating a production sysadmin/devops/security full time position is on the table. If they decide to go ahead on it I'm thinking of asking them to pay for me to train up on the standard networking certs (I've got funding for training on the books) and pivoting into that role and having them backfill my position instead. So given an ample supply of corporate funding what would be the ideal way for someone with a standard BS C.S. background to train up in that area?

The best way to 'train up' doing Ops is.. Doing Ops. If they're Windows Servers, make sure they're up to date patch wise and they're not some XP/Server 2000 hellhole and user facing. A sysadmin/devops/security position honestly sounds like a nightmare and really should be different peoples responsibilities, but we're running the risk of getting into "How do I DevOps a team?" territory there.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

milk milk lemonade posted:

jaegerx posted:

Learn to fly Jesus. I got a trip to England for $200 round trip
It was for a wedding so dates weren't negotioable and flying to Iceland for a night would've shaved like $400 off the whole thing. I spent a year trying to get there as cheap as possible, but booking four tickets and having a set date made it impossible :shrug:
Before I saw this post I seriously thought they were telling you to learn how to fly a plane.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Flying lessons would be a good use of time off work

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

IndustrialApe posted:

Up until now i had 10 weeks of PTO, i'll miss those 5 weeks (but the raise makes up for it).

Is your old job still available?

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Sefal posted:

Is your old job still available?

Don't think so. btw: you're the second person asking me this in the past month.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

IndustrialApe posted:

Don't think so. btw: you're the second person asking me this in the past month.

:negative:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I'd get a passport but just the cost of flying to Europe for the two of us is the same as hotels for 2 or 3 weeks anywhere in the US and I still haven't seen Yosemite or the Grand Canyon. Gonna travel after all the student loans are paid off and house is bought

Also the dollar has slid a ton so it's not super smart to spend money in Europe right now

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Anybody want to show me around the strip clubs in Montreal when I plan my vacation next year?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Vargatron posted:

Anybody want to show me around the strip clubs in Montreal when I plan my vacation next year?

Chez Parée has two doors, the right one is the strip club - otherwise you will end up in a upstairs club for 2 hours wondering where the women are. The bartender will tell you they're on break so you don't leave.

Lap dances are $15 a song, but if you are not local that is $15 a minute and you end up with a $150 lap dance real fast. My friend negotiated before getting the dance so I guess you could always do that to play it safe.

And if you can get to Bistro Tôt ou Tard for brunch you won't regret it. Really cheap and delicious brunch food. Montreal is my favorite city hands down, if it weren't mostly cold I'd move there.

Sepist fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 15, 2017

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
I thought vacation time is when you step out the door and realise you aren't going to work but CAN DO WHATEVER YOU WANT, then immediately go back inside and have ice cream for breakfast then proceed to choke your chicken for the remainder of the day/week/month/epoch.

But yes holidays are awesome, if we ever get a wad of cash we'll probably go to Italy and get crunk on gavi in the middle of the day.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

My general vacation haunt is the mountains of North Carolina in a town of approx 450 people. It's a nice way to completely get away from all contact.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

alg posted:

Also the dollar has slid a ton so it's not super smart to spend money in Europe right now

Spend it in the UK because our currency is hosed

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

Spend it in the UK because our currency is hosed

Or Norway, because its equally hosed.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Wibla posted:

Or Norway, because its equally hosed.

Yeah, but we brits just shot ourselves in the foot and we're turning into a fascist, war obsessed, short attention spanned, xenophobic utopia. It'll be less of a culture shock for an American taking his first vacation :D

I made myself sad :(

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Dog_Meat posted:

Yeah, but we brits just shot ourselves in the foot and we're turning into a fascist, war obsessed, short attention spanned, xenophobic utopia. It'll be less of a culture shock for an American taking his first vacation :D

I made myself sad :(

I was about to say I don't even have to leave home for that, much less go to the UK!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dog_Meat posted:

we're turning into a fascist, war obsessed, short attention spanned, xenophobic utopia

But enough about America

e: I realize you already implied that but I really wanted to post it

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I am pretty pissed off but I'm not sure I have anyone to blame but myself. This'll be long-ish. I'm posting it here and not the other thread because the other thread is generally about single events, whereas this is just work discussion.

My team has been sharing on call duties with another team. We're part of the same rotation. My team generally handles infrastructure requests and the other team generally handles application requests. The problem with that is that my team is much larger than theirs - large enough to the point where the other team can't really even support its own on call rotation. If we split the teams in two, the other team would be on call so often, and dealing with so many issues, that it would quickly lead to burnout. So the solution has been that both teams share the same on call rotation, and my infrastructure team can do some basic application troubleshooting, and the app team can do some basic infrastructure troubleshooting.

Put bluntly, my team has been propping up this other team for a year now because they can't figure out how to hire enough people to do their job.

As of this week, one of the application sys admins has moved to a development role which is a great fit for him. He is also, just by the luck of the draw, the on call sys admin this week. Just a chance occurrence. Well imagine how happy I was when he and his boss contacted me on Monday morning to have him pulled out of the on call rotation. Absolutely not, that's not happening. I'm not moving the schedule around and loving everyone else because this guy's job changed, much less that I've been doing his job for him (as an infrastructure guy doing application work) for a year. My team's been propping theirs up for a year and they can't at least finish off a rotation before they move to a new department? The whole thing just infuriates me because I really should have just said a year ago "no, we won't be on call with the application team", and this week has made that very clear. I've been acting in good faith and taking care of 'my guys', but as soon as one got a chance to get out from under it, he took it and ran. I'm now pressing the split between infrastructure and application to get my team onto our own rotation.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Do you guys know of a way to get youtube results neatly in XML or JSON? There must be something like this but I can't find anything (besides a paid add in for excel called seotools).

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I am pretty pissed off but I'm not sure I have anyone to blame but myself. This'll be long-ish. I'm posting it here and not the other thread because the other thread is generally about single events, whereas this is just work discussion.

My team has been sharing on call duties with another team. We're part of the same rotation. My team generally handles infrastructure requests and the other team generally handles application requests. The problem with that is that my team is much larger than theirs - large enough to the point where the other team can't really even support its own on call rotation. If we split the teams in two, the other team would be on call so often, and dealing with so many issues, that it would quickly lead to burnout. So the solution has been that both teams share the same on call rotation, and my infrastructure team can do some basic application troubleshooting, and the app team can do some basic infrastructure troubleshooting.

Put bluntly, my team has been propping up this other team for a year now because they can't figure out how to hire enough people to do their job.

As of this week, one of the application sys admins has moved to a development role which is a great fit for him. He is also, just by the luck of the draw, the on call sys admin this week. Just a chance occurrence. Well imagine how happy I was when he and his boss contacted me on Monday morning to have him pulled out of the on call rotation. Absolutely not, that's not happening. I'm not moving the schedule around and loving everyone else because this guy's job changed, much less that I've been doing his job for him (as an infrastructure guy doing application work) for a year. My team's been propping theirs up for a year and they can't at least finish off a rotation before they move to a new department? The whole thing just infuriates me because I really should have just said a year ago "no, we won't be on call with the application team", and this week has made that very clear. I've been acting in good faith and taking care of 'my guys', but as soon as one got a chance to get out from under it, he took it and ran. I'm now pressing the split between infrastructure and application to get my team onto our own rotation.

What is the duration of the on-call period and what is the general volume?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
It's 1 week, and it's generally "clear your schedule", with probably 50% of issues being application, 45% being another team entirely why am I even on this call, and the other 5% being mysteries which involve checking everything you can think of until it resolves itself (ie, infrastructure).

An illustrative example is that when I go on call, my wife and I don't go out of town that weekend. Any other weekend it's time for a road trip, but the weekend that I'm on call, I rarely even drive past the town line.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

That sounds pretty similar to what my on-call rotation was like. So why can't the dude that transferred just do the on-call week? One week isn't an unreasonable schedule.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Vargatron posted:

That sounds pretty similar to what my on-call rotation was like. So why can't the dude that transferred just do the on-call week? One week isn't an unreasonable schedule.
He is now, because I put the ole foot down. He got paged last night and I guess he was barely helpful and made them page someone else from his former team to do it, which is ridiculous and I guess I can't manage it call by call.

It just pisses me off that this even comes up. The argument I heard was "well what you do if he had quit?" - well you know what, he didn't quit, he didn't die, he didn't have a medical emergency. He just moved to a different cubicle. He still has the knowledge, he still has the production account, and he's on call.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

with probably 50% of issues being application, 45% being another team entirely why am I even on this call, and the other 5% being mysteries which involve checking everything you can think of until it resolves itself (ie, infrastructure).
Have metrics to support these numbers?

"We're providing X% of on-call support hours to resolve issues that actually fall under our purview 5% of the time. We're happy to contribute to the on-call rotation and support the business, but the rotation needs to better reflect who needs to be available to resolve the common issues. "

I obviously have no idea what your place is like or how that'd fly. I also have little familiarity with on-call rotations so it don't know how they usually get sorted. But this sounds lovely.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

He is now, because I put the ole foot down. He got paged last night and I guess he was barely helpful and made them page someone else from his former team to do it, which is ridiculous and I guess I can't manage it call by call.

It just pisses me off that this even comes up. The argument I heard was "well what you do if he had quit?" - well you know what, he didn't quit, he didn't die, he didn't have a medical emergency. He just moved to a different cubicle. He still has the knowledge, he still has the production account, and he's on call.

I am with you on this. Someone with that type of attitude needs to be shutdown immediately. His role is changing slightly, his boss changes, and now he decides he is above doing what he did before? gently caress that. Its not like you asked him to move desktops around the office. You didn't ask him to redo the storage room.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Acquiescing to his demand isn't going to make a good impression for other members of the team. If we walks, he walks.

It'd be different if he was like "hey I've got this thing coming up" but it sounds like he just flat out refuses to do on-call.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Also to be clear, he's still going to be off the on-call rotation going forward right? He just didn't want to finish his last week?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

It's 1 week, and it's generally "clear your schedule", with probably 50% of issues being application, 45% being another team entirely why am I even on this call, and the other 5% being mysteries which involve checking everything you can think of until it resolves itself (ie, infrastructure).

An illustrative example is that when I go on call, my wife and I don't go out of town that weekend. Any other weekend it's time for a road trip, but the weekend that I'm on call, I rarely even drive past the town line.

Let rome burn. You need a business plan to resolve your volume. If you are getting an unlimited number of T0/T1 alerts you need dedicated triage handlers, to reduce your alert volume through automation, or both. One way to resolve this is to make oncall 2 weeks of cleared schedule, one week on, one week working on a single item to remove an alert. No interruption, period. Add in a NOC who can do runbooks overnight to let you sleep. You are in an untenable situation and your solution is going to involve PowerPoint and Excel before it involves anything else.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Also to be clear, he's still going to be off the on-call rotation going forward right? He just didn't want to finish his last week?
Yeah, his new job will be separate from ours so he won't be on call, which hey, that's fine. But you owe me this week.

What's really frustrating though is that I've gone out of my way over the past year to have my team shield that team, but I get nothing for it. I don't know why I, a relatively junior manager in a company with hundreds of managers, directors and VPs, thought it was my responsibility to solve a staffing issue, but I absolutely have to break myself of that mind set. If my infrastructure team is its own on call group, it hurts the application team? That's fine, it's the business's responsibility to address that, not mine.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
These guys just realized I am in a training class all next week, out of the country the following week, then I get married the weekend following that, then on a week long honeymoon and won't be back in the office until the third week of September. I can hear the PM's frustrations on their calls from my cube

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

anthonypants posted:

Before I saw this post I seriously thought they were telling you to learn how to fly a plane.
I thought he was telling them to learn how to fly on the back of Jesus, like Atreyu flying on Falkor.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

jaegerx posted:

Seriously. It takes 30 minutes of your time.

It took me a lot longer. Walk in passport services were consolidated to a single location, that's only open during my shift.

I was able to get in there and it turns out my birth certificate isn't actually an original copy, so I had to go to vital records and get that first.

Overall, it was maybe an hour of waiting in offices, three or four hours of driving back and forth to places trying to get the right paperwork.

It wasn't wasted time of course. Now I have a birth certificate in case I need that for some reason.

I'm just glad I have a cooperative employer and a car. Doing it by bus or something would have been a nightmare.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Hmm so I'm going to be resigning late this week/Monday morning, however we have consultants coming in from Europe next week to bid on an SAP implementation. I'm supposed to be the IT resources assigned to this project.

What I'm saying is, it's going to be really loving awkward these next two weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.
I sympathise with people who never take vacation because I used to be that way myself. There's a tendency in the United States to define yourself largely by what you do. Some old-school families look down on vacations as a waste of time and money when you could be "doing something" with your spare time. I was raised this way, and until my mid 20's I never took vacation. Then I got married, and I found out my wife's family goes somewhere every summer. I just came back from two weeks in Hawaii and I can highly recommend that if you''re one of those people who have never really taken time off for whatever reason, give it a try.