Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

mfcrocker posted:

A moment of silence for the Sonic Cycle. Taken from us way too late, 2003-2017

It'll be back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I may just look up the chemical plant zone boss now since there's no way it won't be spoiled for me in the next two weeks

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Sakurazuka posted:

It'll be back
Sonic Mania is apparently so good it made everyone forget Sonic Forces is still coming.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I almost mentioned Forces but didn't want to bring the all 3D Sonics sucks guys out

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sonic Forces looks alright. It could have been Sonic 2006 2 and I wouldn't have cared though because we got Sonic Mania and holy poo poo this game was worth the wait.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
There's no way I'll ever give a gently caress about any new sonic game that isn't Mania 2 at this point.

Also LOLing at the Polygon Review, dumbass Nick Robinson managed to get himself fired the week before Mania dropped so they had the guy who can't play games review it instead.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gammatron 64 posted:

Even with the old levels. Sega mandated they have old levels, but Taxman and the gang got sneaky and disguised new levels as old ones.

Don't go overboard here. They've said that their initial proposal with new levels only would've been a small half-game, closer to the Sonic 4 episodes. The suggestion to reuse was what let them blow it out to full size.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

mfcrocker posted:

A moment of silence for the Sonic Cycle. Taken from us way too late, 2003-2017

The Sonic Cycle is forever.

Sonic Mania has broken it, but it is immortal. A shadow forever looming, a curse eternal.

Sonic Mania has merely proven it can be beaten. But it can never be permanently defeated.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I kinda wanna make the weather widget on my phone use Weather Chicken reporting images

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

This is the worst New Generation Sonic game sega has ever released.

This is 2017 not 1988 and we deserve a decent graphics for the game.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

I picked up the collector's edition and apparently the code didn't work when I put it in earlier. Is anyone else having this sort of problem? Or did everyone here just go full digital?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

People were saying Sonic Colors beat the cycle years ago. Same for Generatikns.

Then revisionist history set in.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Frankston posted:

This is the worst New Generation Sonic game sega has ever released.

This is 2017 not 1988 and we deserve a decent graphics for the game.

Source your quotes

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Got to play a couple of hours and I'm only up to Mirage Saloon & couple of thoughts:

I like that it takes me a moment to figure out how to damage bosses instead of shredding them in 2 seconds like usual. They're boss fights now and there's clear danger periods where guy can't attack where a lazier game would just extend their invincibility frames. Smart. I was LMAO at Hydrocity Zone's boss and that we def my fav so far.

The special stages own and are really well hidden. I've got 5/7 emeralds but have prob failed 4 times. At first I thought they were too edgy easy but the difficulty curve is pretty good. The last two are gonna be hard but I think I can do it before I beat the game my first time!

The bonus stages being blue spheres may have been a misstep though...there's so many to do and it's not clear what they're even for till you save & quit at which point I decided to do just one per zone since they take so long. I preferred s3&k's where they're silly nonsense where I get rings, continues & powerups. I like the inclusion of blue spheres but idk maybe they should have replaced the chaos emerald special stages after you have all 7 emeralds and bring back an s3&k style slot machine or other acid tripy experience.

Overall the game's fantastic, another nitpick is I just wish all zones had level transitions instead of most. It's weird even the level just fades out.

Finally I think the game's difficulty is fine, retarded polygon journalists aside. I've had only a handful of unintentional deaths and I was at 17 lives when I put it down to go to work (I died intentionally a couple times to explore another path at the bring beginning of an act). I kept dying on chemical plant act 1 to something but can't remember what it was.

Looking forward to beating the game tonight, it rules and these guys are so talented it's crazy how many ideas they've crammed into these stages. Seems like a Mania 2 is inevitable to me!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Macaluso posted:

I may just look up the chemical plant zone boss now since there's no way it won't be spoiled for me in the next two weeks

It's
A Mean bean machine match between you and Robotnik.
Knuckles in particular looks very confused when it starts.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
It's loving nuts that this year we've had the Best Zelda, Sonic and, come October, Mario title this century. 2017 is a great year for games.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
Finished the game (not with all emeralds, going to work on that, special stages are hard to find and hard to beat) and quite satisfied.

I could have liked the bosses better, but the levels themselves were great. Game flowed well, looked great, sounded excellent, felt right and never bugged out.

One thing that's maybe a let down - is there no way to use the secret game modes S3&K Sonic, or & Knuckles for example without selecting No Save? Tried starting a new game in various ways and can't seem to do it. I'd like to be able to save, thanks.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

XavierGenisi posted:

I picked up the collector's edition and apparently the code didn't work when I put it in earlier. Is anyone else having this sort of problem? Or did everyone here just go full digital?

Yeah I have my ps4 voucher and it's saying it doesn't work or it's not active yet. No idea what's going on with that.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

TFRazorsaw posted:

People were saying Sonic Colors beat the cycle years ago. Same for Generatikns.

Then revisionist history set in.

actually another 5 years without a decent Sonic game kicked in

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

geri_khan posted:

One thing that's maybe a let down - is there no way to use the secret game modes S3&K Sonic, or & Knuckles for example without selecting No Save? Tried starting a new game in various ways and can't seem to do it. I'd like to be able to save, thanks.

Nope. Can only do that with a no save game which is completely ridiculous.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Finally got a chance to play some Sanic!

Man, guys, that level 2 boss.... THAT LEVEL 2 BOSS!

I have only found 2 Emeralds because I'm bad. I just beat Flying Battery. Play as Tails because Tails is the best.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Play as Knuckles because he has the funniest cutscene in the game. It's a sprite rendition of the Megadrive comic that gets posted every once in awhile. Knuckles gets a big cartoon thought bubble and daydreams about being THE BIG HERO.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Also I got a time over death in flying battery act 2 cause I was having so much fun exploring lol

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
all blue sphere perfect clears and all chaos emeralds. just call me the super sonic warrior

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

More like :toot: :toot: bitch

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Frankston posted:

Completed all the levels, now to go back and get all the chaos emeralds and blue sphere zones and do it with knuckles and tails.

Great fun, though it didn't feel as long or as epic as 3&K, not by a long shot.

Edit: didn't enjoy the final level, it just had that cluster gently caress "where the heck am I going" feeling.

Yeah, it's definitely a labor of love but I'm not going to hold this dev team up to the standard of the team that did S3&K, that would be unfair.

This game is definitely 'meaty', but it does lack a bit of the cohesion and drive of S2 or S3&K, and I have to agree that apart from some neat concepts (Chemical Plant 2 boss) most of the bosses are basically goofy poo poo set to weird music, and don't quite have that epic serious feel of the originals. Then again, the tone for this game's story is quite a bit wackier and more psychedelic...so I guess it all fits decently. But it would've been nice to see some bosses as epic as this original one

Great loving game though. It's a trip to be excited to play Flying Battery Zone again ITYOOL2K17, and actually be surprised by the mashup content, especially since I know the old levels by heart.

ColdPie posted:

Game-overed on the Oil Ocean act 2 boss. Freaking brutal.

Me, too. Twice now.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 15, 2017

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Game-overed on the Oil Ocean act 2 boss. Freaking brutal.

Bugs Playing on PS4, I've run into a ton of bullshit crush deaths or falling through the floor deaths. Probably 6 so far. I got killed instantly by jumping into the gun on the train, I fell off the airplane in Saloon 1 about three times, I've fallen through the platforms in Oil Ocean boss a few times, I got crushed by ice a few times in Press act 2. I know crappy hit detection deaths are par for the course for Sonic, but I hope they iron at least some of these out in a patch.

Edit: Also wondering how to enable the sonic CD peel-out and the Sonic 3 insta-shield. I keep drop dashing because of my S3&K insta-shield muscle memory :v:

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 15, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So any idea yet if Tails and Knuckles get their Super forms in this game (though I'm guessing the true final boss you get if you have all the emeralds is Sonic exclusive)? Just checking to see if it's worth trying to go through the Special Stages with them if nothing else.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 15, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

What's the "Coolness" bonus at the end of a stage based on anyway?

If any of you bozos say "How cool you are" I will slap you so hard

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yeah, it's definitely a labor of love but I'm not going to hold this dev team up to the standard of the team that did S3&K, that would be unfair.

This game is definitely 'meaty', but it does lack a bit of the cohesion and drive of S2 or S3&K, and I have to agree that apart from some neat concepts (Chemical Plant 2 boss) most of the bosses are basically goofy poo poo set to weird music, and don't quite have that epic serious feel of the originals. Then again, the tone for this game's story is quite a bit wackier and more psychedelic...so I guess it all fits decently. But it would've been nice to see some bosses as epic as this original one

I agree 100%. I actually like the Robotnik boss theme from Sonic 1 a lot, it's got a serious, villainesque tone. It's great. I like when Robotnik is an actual evil villain, and not a goofball. But since this is a "celebration game", I think it fits, it makes sense.

Edit: By the way, I complained earlier that the game feels to easy, especially the bosses, and BeanpolePeckerwood linked to the original Lava Reef zone, which is exactly one of the bosses that gave me a hard time with the game back then. Good times. Game could have been harder, everyone is finishing it one day after launch (I don't wanna sound like an elitist jerk here, it is a FUN game, but if it had a "hard" setting I'd toggle it).

Andre Banzai fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 15, 2017

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

ColdPie posted:

Bugs Playing on PS4, I've run into a ton of bullshit crush deaths or falling through the floor deaths. Probably 6 so far. I got killed instantly by jumping into the gun on the train, I fell off the airplane in Saloon 1 about three times, I've fallen through the platforms in Oil Ocean boss a few times, I got crushed by ice a few times in Press act 2. I know crappy hit detection deaths are par for the course for Sonic, but I hope they iron at least some of these out in a patch.

Here maybe the manual will help

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i beat the game and it was so fun i want to play it again??? what the gently caress!!!

except thjat one zone.t hat zone sucked. gently caress that zone.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
guys the sonic mania story makes no sense and isnt up to snuff with the rest of the sonic universe, here's why [1/83]

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I can't wait to play more. Then beat it again and not worry about the chaos emeralds.

All I am thinking a lot of the time is drat all you Sonic CD people must be in heaven given the massive size of these levels. There's so many secrets and traps in them, I love it. I can't wait for an in-depth sonic 4 comparison of level design.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
Stardust Speedway Boss!!!

Xmas 1992 I was insanely excited to get Sonic 2 - for my Master System. Never thought for a second I'd see Sega acknowledge those games existance again.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Finished the game in about 5 hours, without really thoroughly looking for chaos emeralds and skipping bonus stages towards the end.

Had a real good time throughout, there were some trouble spots through as some of the bosses weren't great Hydrocity Act 1's boss made me laugh pretty hard though but overall just enjoyable. Gonna go back and try to get the rest of the emeralds and tokens at some point today,

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

CPZ boss GOTY 10/10 S-tier

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is there no screen transition after Flying Battery Zone?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Andre Banzai posted:

I agree 100%. I actually like the Robotnik boss theme from Sonic 1 a lot, it's got a serious, villainesque tone. It's great. I like when Robotnik is an actual evil villain, and not a goofball. But since this is a "celebration game", I think it fits, it makes sense.

Edit: By the way, I complained earlier that the game feels to easy, especially the bosses, and BeanpolePeckerwood linked to the original Lava Reef zone, which is exactly one of the bosses that gave me a hard time with the game back then. Good times. Game could have been harder, everyone is finishing it one day after launch (I don't wanna sound like an elitist jerk here, it is a FUN game, but if it had a "hard" setting I'd toggle it).

Maybe you're just a better gamer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

eonwe posted:

lol the chemical plant zone boss

I feel like Sega is trying to sneakily push sales for another game with it, although I already own it so it wasn't tough at all since the difficulty expected you to have never played it.

Can I say this game teaches mechanics really well? Every stage gives you it's gimmick in safe early ways then expands on it later, which was neat. Hell, they even teach you blue acid is bad by making the sub boss before you use it as a shield.

C-SPAN Caller fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 15, 2017