Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nintendo?
This poll is closed.
Nintendon't 45 22.73%
Nintendoomed 22 11.11%
Nintendrone 13 6.57%
Nintendovahkiin 55 27.78%
Nintend'oh! 63 31.82%
Total: 198 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Of course he named the town Rainy Woods lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

FirstAidKite posted:

I never said games exist in a vacuum though. I'm not trying to compare them to film or saying that we're waiting for a citizen kane of video games or anything like that. I don't really get what the rest of what you said had to do with what I said because all I'm saying is I'm just wondering when film analysis started to become a thing because I kinda doubt there was any kind of meaningful critique or analysis during film's infancy, and film has been around in some form or another for over a century whereas video games have only been a thing since uhhh the 70s I wanna say. I figure as the people who grew up on games continue to get older, we might potentially see more people trying to make professional publications of critical and analytical looks at video games, their design, their aesthetic, the environment around them, etc.

People were writing critically about cinema within a few decades of the Lumieres recording a train, so we're talking about the 1900s and 1910s. Academically it tended to be from different fields about how film was a breakthrough in some aspect connected to their field (psychology and perception, literary studies and storytelling, etc.) In terms of more popular criticism, that was starting to happen in around the 1930s and 1940s. Before then the reviews tended to be in trade journals where theater owners would read about which films to buy (you could probably make parallels to consumer game reviews here), and it wasn't until later that mainstream newspaper reviews that discussed films on an aesthetic level became a thing

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

lets hang out posted:

Please make swery's cat game a reality

fingers crossed fig can pull in 1.5 mil

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Serf posted:

oh, i just thought you were being sarcastic. i disagree with your assertion but whatever

I'm interested to hear what you think.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
But who is the Dark Souls of painting?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dr Cheeto posted:

I didn't mean that the entire genre is valueless, just that every piece of human creative expression is art, and that not all of those pieces of creative expression are worthwhile. Suicide Squad is art.

It's ridiculously hard to draw a line between "art" and "not art" and I always find it kind of fun to figure out where people draw that line personally. Like, I think if you ask a lot of people what makes something "art," they'll tell you a definition that involves a value judgment, but at the same time, I think most of us agree that there is such a thing as bad art. And if bad art exists, our definition of "art" can't really factor in quality or value.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/yokotaro/status/897508268230098945

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Dead Souls is the Dark Souls of literature

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ok i'm in but york better show up

nice

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

agents of mayhem sounds bad from reviews. its probably chip cheezums fault. way to ruin volition cc

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Can one of you guys go ahead and beat Undertale on the PS4 for me so I can see how they handle the thing near the end on console please and thank you

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

People were writing critically about cinema within a few decades of the Lumieres recording a train, so we're talking about the 1900s and 1910s. Academically it tended to be from different fields about how film was a breakthrough in some aspect connected to their field (psychology and perception, literary studies and storytelling, etc.) In terms of more popular criticism, that was starting to happen in around the 1930s and 1940s. Before then the reviews tended to be in trade journals where theater owners would read about which films to buy (you could probably make parallels to consumer game reviews here), and it wasn't until later that mainstream newspaper reviews that discussed films on an aesthetic level became a thing

Thank you. "Academically" was the word I couldn't think of that I could have used to describe what I meant. I know film goes back to like the 1880s so with that in mind, I wouldn't be surprised to see games following a similar (though not the same) path and having progressively more and more academically-minded publications regarding them. I mean, there are some now, I'm sure, I think there was this one book about nintendo that I heard was good and it was about how brutal they were during the 80s and 90s in fighting there way up. Nothing like with the numerous, numerous books on the studies of writing, music, film, animation, painting, dancing, sculpting, architecture, anything like that

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

F...K... i saw it in the milk bowl

Serf
May 5, 2011

Dr Cheeto posted:

I'm interested to hear what you think.

all art has value. even if it is bad, like suicide squad, it still has value in being an object lesson. it may not have the same (or any) value to all people, but there will always be someone who will find something of worth to take away from a piece of art, no matter how poorly executed it is or execrable the content.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

lol at the people responding "not you too yoko taro... how could you be an undertale liking sheep..."

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Am I art?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Serf posted:

all art has value. even if it is bad, like suicide squad, it still has value in being an object lesson. it may not have the same (or any) value to all people, but there will always be someone who will find something of worth to take away from a piece of art, no matter how poorly executed it is or execrable the content.

You're absolutely right. I mentioned Suicide Squad in particular because I've been looking at it as an object lesson in bad editing.

Jay Rust posted:

Am I art?

Your posts are!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Saint Freak posted:

Hieronymus Bosch

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

haveblue posted:

Hieronymus Bosch

Joking aside, gently caress yeah

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dr Cheeto posted:

You're absolutely right. I mentioned Suicide Squad in particular because I've been looking at it as an object lesson in bad editing.

The Folding Ideas guy has a good youtube series all about the bad editing in Suicide Squad if you are so inclined. He's also done a couple video game entries like Bloodborne.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The poll among Time magazine's readers is in and everybody agrees that the best video game ever made is Candy Crush Saga.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Am I art?

Sure, why not?

imo art can be whatever you want it to be, with art having multiple meanings and some art being good and some art being bad. For me the sole qualification for something to be art is that a person believes it to be art. Sure I might disagree and not find it all that artistic, but that's where the subjectivity of art comes into play. If you (general, not specific) drink a bottle of tea and look at the empty bottle and says "that's art" then okay sure, assuming you aren't just taking the piss then sure, it's art, but I don't think it's all that good unless you can convince me otherwise.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I would like to know what the demographic profile of a "TIME reader" and especially "TIME reader who filled out a TIME poll" is

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Saint Freak posted:

Goya

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Rescue on Fractalus reboot looking good

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I feel like the adjudicator from demon's souls is something you'd fiend in a bosch painting

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

oh my gooood swery cat mysteryyyyy

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Saint Freak posted:

Beksinski.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

There was probably a BBS door game where you could pay money to access more features. I guess you would have to mail someone a check or something

it was a sierra adventure game where you could buy the hintbook

Jay Rust posted:

LucasArts Hint Line

goddammit

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

speaking of games as art, kotaku is doing One good thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvCKUWjXbhc

a video series on ff7's translation, thats' actually super indepth.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I can't wait for the FF7 remake

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

In Training posted:

I can't wait for the FF7 remake

Hell. Same

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

THIS IS ART!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1hIcdmPdFQ

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
With all the reviews for Sonic Mania coming out I figured it'd be releasing any day now, but apparently it's still two weeks out :(

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

With all the reviews for Sonic Mania coming out I figured it'd be releasing any day now, but apparently it's still two weeks out :(

It came out today on consoles

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

In Training posted:

It came out today on consoles

ooooh that's right it got delayed on steam. Forgot about that. Maybe I'll grab it on PS4 then.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Am I art?

people get tattoos and piercings and all sorts of other body modifications done and call it body art. and then you have makeup artists both in terms of beauty and for like special effects work. it depends on your level of investment, but at the very least a person can be the canvas for a work of art

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

ooooh that's right it got delayed on steam. Forgot about that. Maybe I'll grab it on PS4 then.

I'm gonna get it on switch because Nintendoes what Segcan't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

remember when they skipped sonic 4 in the sonic mania trailer elevator gag haha

• Locked thread