Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

I.N.R.I posted:

everyone on planet earth is going to buy and watch it. horses will watch this. by that i mean actual horses as in the animal. they will be chewing the same mouthful of hay suiper slow for 3 hours and crowding around their stable masters window so they can see his tv, for he will also be watching it

Oh poor ol’ Floyd, thought of Ido Portal and died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
/\ /\ .\ /\ I get that reference, and am way too proud of myself. Which is to say that I'm at all proud of myself.

threeagainstfour posted:

If we can't all have a good laugh at McGregor's attempts to take flight like a majestic bird by way of waving his noodle arms around, what good is this fight?!?

Oh, I'm laughing. I was confused as to why that other guy wasn't.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

Oh, I'm laughing. I was confused as to why that other guy wasn't.

Me? Cos it's a guy at the top of his game doing his thing and it's worked well for him? He's always been about movement and this is an example of it.

I don't get the big deal

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

its ok, man. some people like to play touchbutt in the park with pool noodles.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Hobo Erotica posted:

Me? Cos it's a guy at the top of his game doing his thing and it's worked well for him? He's always been about movement and this is an example of it.

I don't get the big deal

It's not a big deal. It's just funny. Because he looks like a loving spaz.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Hobo Erotica posted:

I don't get the big deal

He only beat Diaz after banishing the pony tailed idiot from his camp

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I figured or where Conor/Ido got that limbering movement from
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqcWnG2y3Kw

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
robin black breaking down that video really technically

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Lipstick Apathy
This'll be the biggest bout since Lowtax vs. Uwe Boll

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
True boxing patricians are tuning in for Badou Jack - Nathan Cleverley

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I am not going to pay for this thing, but im glad to see paulie get punched in the head

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/PrestigiousRadiantHorsefly

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Make it a triple threat match imo

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
If Paulie is the third guy then it's still very much a double threat unless you have a phobia of pastebin

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
PAULIE MALINAGGI DRESSED AS CLUBBER LANG: Hey boy! Hey boy! I'm gonna torture you, I'm gonna crucify you, real bad! Gonna write a pastebin like you hosed my wife at Comic Con!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

the way I see it:

10% Conor Wins by ref stoppage
10% Mayweather wins by ref stoppage
40% Conor by Decision
40% Mayweather by decision

but hey, Mayweather's promotion is running the show so they get a little edge in the reffing

5% Conor by stoppage
15% Mayweather by stoppage
40% Conor by decision

oh wait, Mayweather bought off the judges because its boxing and this poo poo works more than dollar day hooker
5% Conor by stoppage
20% Conor by decision
60% Mayweather by decision

even worse, Mayweather's not normal in that ring. he moves hella fast and is hard to lock down
5% Conor by stoppage
20% Mayweather by stoppage
10% Conor by decision
65% Mayweather by decision

you see the numbers don't lie and they say Conor McGregor is hosed

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I just think the best boxer in the world will beat the guy who has never boxed, but I understand statistics help some people relate to the outside world better

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bluedeanie posted:

I just think the best boxer in the world will beat the guy who has never boxed, but I understand statistics help some people relate to the outside world better

This. However I do understand the counter argument that McGregor is actually the best boxer in the world and just hasn't had the stage to show it until now.

We will see on Aug 26th.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Oh yeah for the guy who asked, OF COURSE People are buying it. Not me, I usually get most decent MMA PPV's and can get between 5-6 people to show up to watch. For a big fight like jones v D.C., we had maybe 15. For this fight, my buddy who barely watches fights is hosting and I expect maybe 50 people to attend. The vast majority of those don't even know about any of the PPV's that have occurred since MayPac besides UFC 200.

Tl;dr: if you even pretend to be a combat sports fan you absolutely need to watch, or else the elderly lady at work is going to make you look a fool when she can talk about the fight and you can't lol

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Floyd's fought two guuys who were making their pro debut before actually, he won both of those fights by TKO

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

tesilential posted:

This. However I do understand the counter argument that McGregor is actually the best boxer in the world and just hasn't had the stage to show it until now.

We will see on Aug 26th.

I might be the best boxer in the world too. Want to pay $100 to find out?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

If only we had a recent case study where a dude who worked at a high level in an activity that was superficially related to a combat sport took a fight in that sport after taking a large amount of time off to do nothing but train at a big gym.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bluedeanie posted:

If only we had a recent case study where a dude who worked at a high level in an activity that was superficially related to a combat sport took a fight in that sport after taking a large amount of time off to do nothing but train at a big gym.

Good point, Brock rules

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fat Twitter Man posted:

I might be the best boxer in the world too. Want to pay $100 to find out?

Yes Fat Twitter Man, if you show me a couple videos of you knocking dudes out with your fists, I will absolutely buy your PPV.

Ah hell, screw the videos, id buy a PPV of random guy vs elite boxer just to watch the carnage :getin:

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Bluedeanie posted:

I agree that the best boxer in the world will win, and I agree that it's hard to call what Mayweather does "boxing", but I don't think it's fair to say he's "never boxed"

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
A bunch of friends bought the Pacquiao/pbf fight and i was like "dont do that, the fight will be bad" but they did, and it was bad and everyone complained. The highlight was of course the filipinas weeping due to floyd's cowardice and the injustice of it all. I dont even know any irish people so what would even be the point without their delicious tears

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
You probably know some white people though.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

tesilential posted:

Yes Fat Twitter Man, if you show me a couple videos of you knocking dudes out with your fists, I will absolutely buy your PPV.

Ah hell, screw the videos, id buy a PPV of random guy vs elite boxer just to watch the carnage :getin:

I miss PRIDE, too :sigh:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

if you go to conor's wikipedia page, the picture for his MMA fighter profile box is very happy but if you scroll down to the one boxing profile box he looks a bit glum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conor_McGregor

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

very interesting keep us updated please

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

it's still the same

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Scroll down my dickipdia page

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Work Friend Keven posted:

also glum

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

It's really short and hasn't been accessed since 2014

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I would like to go to the waffle house with matt bloom

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

coconono posted:

the way I see it:

10% Conor Wins by ref stoppage
10% Mayweather wins by ref stoppage
40% Conor by Decision

but hey, Mayweather's promotion is running the show so they get a little edge in the reffing

5% Conor by stoppage
40% Conor by decision

oh wait, Mayweather bought off the judges because its boxing and this poo poo works more than dollar day hooker
5% Conor by stoppage
20% Conor by decision
60% Mayweather by decision

even worse, Mayweather's not normal in that ring. he moves hella fast and is hard to lock down
5% Conor by stoppage
20% Mayweather by stoppage
10% Conor by decision
65% Mayweather by decision

you see the numbers don't lie and they say Conor McGregor is hosed

You know they say that all men are created equal, but you look at Conor McGregor and you look at Floyd Mayweather and you can see that statement is not true. See, normally if you go one on one with another boxer, you got a 50/50 chance of winning. But Conor's a genetic freak and he's not normal! So Floyd got a 25%, AT BEST, at beat Conor. Then you add Ido Portal to the mix, your chances of winning drastic go down. At the boxing match at T Mobile Arena, Floyd got a 33 1/3 chance of winning, but Conor got a 66 and 2/3 chance of winning, because Floyd KNOWS he can't beat Conor in a real fight and he's not even gonna try.
So for Floyd you take your 33 1/3 chance, minus Conor's 25% chance and you got an 8 1/3 chance of winning. But then you take Conor's 75% chance of winning, if they was to go one on one in MMA, and then add 66 2/3 per cents, I got 141 2/3 chance of winning at Sacrifice. Folks the numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for Floyd Mayweather.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I like all these stats but you aren't taking into account status effects, if conor comes into the fight poisoned or burned then his catch rate is significantly higher, not to mention that both of those status conditions will gradually lower hp over time and affect his other stats like attack and defense

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

OK so the real question is can Conor involve himself in an even more ridiculous spectacle after this? Keven was saying he might challenge the Patriots. I won't say he can't do it.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Sometimes the old wives tales are really hilarious. They interviewed Kevin Kelley and apparently there is this 'knowledge' out there Irish fighters have problems with cuts above their eyes. So his advice to Mayweather was to try to open a cut above McGregor's eye.

His advice to McGergor was on how to throw a punch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

If Paulie is the third guy then it's still very much a double threat unless you have a phobia of pastebin

lol

I agree that the best boxer in the world will win, and I agree that it's hard to call what Mayweather does "boxing", but I don't think it's fair to say he's "never boxed"

lol

• Locked thread