Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Mister Kingdom posted:

I think [AitF] was the first to have a toilet flush.

This, and to even remotely refer to toilet functions, humorous or otherwise, was a big deal for the early 70's. Related to this: Fred Rogers showing the bathroom in his Television Home in order to show children they can never go down the drain (including the one in the toilet.

This reminds me of another TV taboo: pregnancy. When Lucille Ball became pregnant with Desi Jr. they worked it into the series, but the episode had to be titled "Lucy is Enceinte" because the network felt "pregnant" was inappropriate (they even had to remove the word from the script). The Dick Van Dyke show has Laura announce "well, the rabbit died!" in response to how a doctor's appointment went which contemporary audiences would take to mean a positive pregnancy test (a common misconception was the "rabbit test" that used to be performed would always kill the rabbit on a positive result). That episode, "What's in a Middle Name," holds up wonderfully though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Sex and the City has someone buying an apartment in Manhattan and dozens of pairs of designer shoes despite writing one sex column a week.

Plus, no Tinder. Samantha would be all over that poo poo.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Related to this: Fred Rogers showing the bathroom in his Television Home in order to show children they can never go down the drain (including the one in the toilet.

:unsmith:

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Related to this: Fred Rogers showing the bathroom in his Television Home in order to show children they can never go down the drain (including the one in the toilet.

Pathetic. And this is why we have safe spaces nowdays

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

SEX BURRITO posted:

Sex and the City has someone buying an apartment in Manhattan and dozens of pairs of designer shoes despite writing one sex column a week.

Virtually every sitcom set in New York seems to be about someone who has some nebulous do-nothing job at a magazine.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wasn't there a parody article somewhere about Carrie losing her job during the recession or did I imagine that?

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
How many times has "rent-controlled" been used as a way to explain deadbeats living in NYC?

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

SEX BURRITO posted:

:goonsay:
Carrie only rented the apartment and it was rent-controlled so that's the only reason she could afford it. When the building got bought she thought she was going to lose it and a wealthy architect gave her money to buy it after sleeping with her but she felt like a prostitute so she didn't take the money. Charlotte sold her engagement ring from Trey and bought the apartment for her.

I haven't watched the show in years, that was just buried somewhere in my brain. Also can't a girl just have a show about living a luxurious life with all the Manolos she wants?!

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

oldpainless posted:

Sex and the city is one of the worst shows ever made.

more like oldaccurateness

Foxhound posted:

How many times has "rent-controlled" been used as a way to explain deadbeats living in NYC?

Easier to count the ones that it wasn't, probably

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of: more about a movie/stage show that didn't age well (if it was even decent to begin with) but here's a really good look back at Rent's two incarnations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0qfFbtIj5w

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Chrpno posted:

Pathetic. And this is why we have safe spaces nowdays

But you can't never go down the drain, Chrpno, you're too big to fit down there. :confused:

Edit: unless you live in the sewer and are lonely? Come up and visit!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

But you can't never go down the drain, Chrpno, you're too big to fit down there. :confused:

Edit: unless you live in the sewer and are lonely? Come up and visit!

Come down into the sewers and float with us. We all float down here

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Aesop Poprock posted:

Speaking of: more about a movie/stage show that didn't age well (if it was even decent to begin with) but here's a really good look back at Rent's two incarnations

I saw Rent in 2003 on a field trip and I literally couldn't even believe how horrible the songs were. 525,000 Minutes is the least awful one. Light My Candle and La Vie Boheme made me envy the deaf.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Aesop Poprock posted:

David Rakoff did a brilliant monologue about why Rent is terrible:

David Rakoff posted:

There are 525,600 minutes in a year. I learned that from watching Rent. From watching Rent, I also learned that the best way to mark the passing of these 525,600 minutes would be to measure them out into something Jonathan Larson, the writer of the musical, called seasons of love. What does that even mean, seasons of love?

In Rent, the characters live out their seasons of love in huge lofts. Some of them have AIDS, which is coincidentally also the name of a dreaded global pandemic that is still raging and has killed millions of people worldwide. In Rent, however, AIDS seems to be a disease that renders one cuter and cuter.

The characters are artists, creative types. They have tatterdemalion clothes. Some of them are homosexual, and the ones who aren't homosexual don't even seem to mind. They screen their calls. And when it is their parents, they roll their eyes. They hate their parents. They're never going back to Larchmont, no way. They will stay here living in their 2,000 square feet of picturesque poverty being sexually free and creative.

Here's some ways to broadcast creativity in a movie. Start plinking out a tune on a piano. Scratch a few notes on some music paper. Plink some more. Suddenly crash both hand down on the keyboard, then bring them quickly up to your head and grab the hair on your temples screaming, it won't work! Or sit at a typewriter, reading the page you've just written, realize that it's poo poo and tear it from the platen, and toss it behind you. Cut to waste paper basket overflowing with crumpled paper.

Here's what they do in Rent to show that they are creative. Nothing-- they do nothing. They hang out. And hanging out can be marvelous. But hanging out does not make you an artist. A secondhand wardrobe does not make you an artist. Neither do a hair-trigger temper, melancholic nature, propensity for tears, hating your parents, nor even HIV-- I hate to say it-- none of these can make you an artist.

They can help. But just as being gay does not make one witty-- you can suck a mile of cock. It does not make you Oscar Wilde. Believe me. I know. I have tried. The only thing that makes you an artist is making art. And that takes the opposite of hanging out.

So when they sing the anthem of the show-- that's a lie, really. Every song in the show is an anthem delivered with adolescent earnestness. It's like being trapped in the pages of a teenager's diary. So when they sing the title anthem of the show, "We're not gonna pay this year's rent" followed by kind of barked cheer of "rent, rent, rent, rent, rent, rent, rent," my only question is, well, why aren't you going to pay this year's rent?

It seems that they're not going to pay this year's rent because rent is for losers and uncreative types. Rent is for suits. By contrast, they have the last bastion of artistic purity. They have not sold out, and yet their brilliance goes unacknowledged, so gently caress you, yuppie scum!

I know what it's like to feel angry and ignored. I lived in Brooklyn a long time ago about a block away from a prison. During the day, the neighborhood bustled with lawyers, judges, criminals, bail bondsman, private detectives. I lived on a block in a little two-story building that had once been a coach house in the 19th century. And the basement had a red dirt floor. On the ground floor below me was an office that did what exactly, resumes? I can't remember.

What I do remember is the man whose office it was. Raul was knee-buckingly handsome. If my life had been different like, I don't know, if I were like a hot girl with a driver's license, I could have put on a tube top and gone outside to wash my car in slow motion or something, but alas.

Once during the day-- it must have been the weekend because I was at home-- I could hear Raul having sex in the office downstairs. I skittered around my apartment like a cockroach on a frying pan, trying not to make any noise while desperately looking for a knot hole in the crappy floorboards. Eventually, I just laid down flat against the tile of the kitchen floor, listening. Lying flat against the tile on my kitchen floor listening to someone else have sex is essentially in my 20s in a nutshell.

I was robbed in that neighborhood twice. And there were days when it hardly seemed worth it to live in a horrible part of town just so that I could go daily to a stupid, soul-crushing, low-paying job. Especially since as deeply as I yearned to be creative, for years and years I was too scared to even try, so I did nothing. But here's something that I did do-- I paid my loving rent.

TL;DR: You can listen to it here.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

TL;DR: You can listen to it here.

The video I posted is essentially that kind of stuff but more in depth and with really good film criticism/humor. If you haven't watched it I would really recommend it, along with al of chez Lindsay's other videos

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Come down into the sewers and float with us. We all float down here

More like oldpennywise.... less...?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I carpooled to school for a year and the only thing the driver would listen to was Phantom of the Opera, Wicked, and Rent. When Rent is unambiguously the worst of those three boy howdy do you have a poo poo musical.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Oldpenniless.

Obviously.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

The video I posted is essentially that kind of stuff but more in depth and with really good film criticism/humor. If you haven't watched it I would really recommend it, along with al of chez Lindsay's other videos

Apologies -- I don't usually check Youtube videos at work. Your post just reminded me of Rakoff's monologue. Will give it a look.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Barudak posted:

I carpooled to school for a year and the only thing the driver would listen to was Phantom of the Opera, Wicked, and Rent. When Rent is unambiguously the worst of those three boy howdy do you have a poo poo musical.

Somehow I saw another Jonathon Larson work, Tick Tick Boom, in high school. Even as a snot-nosed kid I thought that it was a really banal and petty take on ~~the human condition~~. Larson was a horrible hack and if he hadn't died suddenly the morning of Rent's first preview show I don't think any of us would be saddled with his puerile bullshit for decades to come.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Barudak posted:

I would've walked to work

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
So basically, the 'Everyone has AIDS' song from Team America is the best thing to come out of Rent?

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Aesop Poprock posted:

It produced this though which is one of the funniest scenes I can remember from the series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKDPLQAwoAg

The best part is 'I'm one part robot and three parts rear end in a top hat. URP." "JESUS CHRIST." That always gets me, every single time.

SEX BURRITO posted:

Wasn't Sex in the City partially produced by Aaron Spelling or some poo poo? Because that's usually one of his big things in the shows he produced: rich people as superheroes of glamour that, nowadays, is incredibly out of date and somewhat pathetic.

In fact, do Aaron Spelling shows even translate to people from the '90s and beyond? I'm not talking about his '90s soaps like Melrose Place or the now-forgotten 90210, but Dynasty and all the other poo poo where being rich apparently meant everything was a Donald Trump wet dream with old world rococo stylings and the like. Eventually that whole '80s fad died out but I'll be damned if Aaron Spelling didn't really stop being relevant as soon as the new century happened and he just vanished completely. I'm sure he died sometime after 2000 (be hosed if I'm going to look) but for his creative output, I don't think anybody even mentions it anymore. It's kinda like Quinn Martin who seemed to vanish after 1981 and now is pretty much forgotten unless you're old or a big TV geek.

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

That's pretty much the same thing Ebert chastised "Reality Sucks" with: the idea that the artist label in the '90s was just a nice way to dress like you were auditioning for a grunge band and do nothing and excuse it by claiming you hadn't 'sold out.' Then again, my memories of the '90s were lovely TV, grunge overtaking rock and then flaming out big time shortly after, and then more hip hop/rap filtering into lame white America while the Internet made life infinitely more interesting. In fact, what we think of the '90s today really was just everything right up until the middle of the decade when all mainstream movies and music really really started to suck on ice as a lot of '80s sacred cows were butchered or forced into direct-to-video poo poo.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

YeahTubaMike posted:

I saw Rent in 2003 on a field trip and I literally couldn't even believe how horrible the songs were. 525,000 Minutes is the least awful one. Light My Candle and La Vie Boheme made me envy the deaf.

Out Tonight and One Song Glory are fun songs. I also think Seasons of Love is fine but I never want to hear it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02mbEwyy7hQ

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Inescapable Duck posted:

So basically, the 'Everyone has AIDS' song from Team America is the best thing to come out of Rent?

The fact that everyone in Rent doesnt have aids is a mark against it, honestly.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

That's pretty much the same thing Ebert chastised "Reality Sucks" with: the idea that the artist label in the '90s was just a nice way to dress like you were auditioning for a grunge band and do nothing and excuse it by claiming you hadn't 'sold out.' Then again, my memories of the '90s were lovely TV, grunge overtaking rock and then flaming out big time shortly after, and then more hip hop/rap filtering into lame white America while the Internet made life infinitely more interesting. In fact, what we think of the '90s today really was just everything right up until the middle of the decade when all mainstream movies and music really really started to suck on ice as a lot of '80s sacred cows were butchered or forced into direct-to-video poo poo.

She actually makes a reference to Reality Bites in the Rent video as a comparison cause she did one on it as well when she was the nostalgia chick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o26AVJYTMcg

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
I know a dude who had a miniscule, tiny part in an am-dram version of Rent (he was the policeman who says "Right") and he ended up getting a tattoo of "Lover, I'll Cover You" on his forearms and let a dog gently caress him and eventually had to get hospital treatment because he'd gotten fisted too bad.

Rent: Not even once.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Disgusting Coward posted:

I know a dude who had a miniscule, tiny part in an am-dram version of Rent (he was the policeman who says "Right") and he ended up getting a tattoo of "Lover, I'll Cover You" on his forearms and let a dog gently caress him and eventually had to get hospital treatment because he'd gotten fisted too bad.

This escalated quickly

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

54 40 or gently caress posted:

:goonsay:
Carrie only rented the apartment and it was rent-controlled so that's the only reason she could afford it. When the building got bought she thought she was going to lose it and a wealthy architect gave her money to buy it after sleeping with her but she felt like a prostitute so she didn't take the money. Charlotte sold her engagement ring from Trey and bought the apartment for her.

I haven't watched the show in years, that was just buried somewhere in my brain. Also can't a girl just have a show about living a luxurious life with all the Manolos she wants?!

The episode where she's mistaken for a prostitute is a different one. Charlotte gives her the ring as a down payment, but even so I don't know how she'd get a mortgage. You're right that it was a rent controlled apartment before it got sold. I am amazed that her column even brought her one pair of $400 shoes (in 90s money!)

Time for a rewatch. If only to watch the episode where Samantha flirts with a charming billionaire called Donald Trump.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

So was he like upfront about the last two things or... I mean... how did you know this dude and how did this become public knowledge

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Doesn't rent-control usually only apply to people who live in a place at the time the rent-control is enacted, and then the landlord can jack up the rent when the old tenant leaves and a new one moves in? So any of these people in these shows buying or wanting to move into so-called "rent-controlled" buildings wouldn't be getting that sweet low rent anyway, right?

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

I knew Morally Inept was into some heinous poo poo, but... musicals?

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

SEX BURRITO posted:

The episode where she's mistaken for a prostitute is a different one. Charlotte gives her the ring as a down payment, but even so I don't know how she'd get a mortgage. You're right that it was a rent controlled apartment before it got sold. I am amazed that her column even brought her one pair of $400 shoes (in 90s money!)

Time for a rewatch. If only to watch the episode where Samantha flirts with a charming billionaire called Donald Trump.

I'd love to rewatch Sex in the City and wish it was on Netflix. Total turn off brain show. I'm glad she ruined things with Aiden, she didn't deserve him

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

A generic complaint but as someone who enjoys mysteries and police procedurals its really annoying when the solution to the mystery relies on knowing the intricacies of a piece of technology which became obsolete 3 years after the 40 year episode aired.
Columbo was really bad about this. My favorite episode is the magician one thanks to the murderer being played by 3-time guest star Jack Cassidy who earned that spot by having amazing chemistry with Falk, the disposable sidekick completely falling for Cassidy's alibi making a great contrast with Columbo and Cassidy's motive of hiding his past as a Nazi war criminal being arguably the strongest and most interesting in the series.
Then the solution ends up relying on [spoiler]knowing the difference between typewriters with balls and ones with ribbons and it sucks having it rely on something nobody under the age of 40 would pick up on because the writers at the time assumed it common knowledge.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

A generic complaint but as someone who enjoys mysteries and police procedurals its really annoying when the solution to the mystery relies on knowing the intricacies of a piece of technology which became obsolete 3 years after the 40 year episode aired.
Columbo was really bad about this. My favorite episode is the magician one thanks to the murderer being played by 3-time guest star Jack Cassidy who earned that spot by having amazing chemistry with Falk, the disposable sidekick completely falling for Cassidy's alibi making a great contrast with Columbo and Cassidy's motive of hiding his past as a Nazi war criminal being arguably the strongest and most interesting in the series.
Then the solution ends up relying on [spoiler]knowing the difference between typewriters with balls and ones with ribbons and it sucks having it rely on something nobody under the age of 40 would pick up on because the writers at the time assumed it common knowledge.

I remember that episode! I don't think the writers thought it was common knowledge, because they go to lengths to explain early in the episode how that's a fancy typewriter that uses a carbon ribbon instead of ink and the sidekick used one at the academy

I haven't watched that episode in years, and I'm only on season 2 rewatching it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

That escalated quickly.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

YeahTubaMike posted:

I had friends in High School who loved Rent, and especially loved La Vie Boheme. Any time we hung out, if there were two or more of them together, they would play, and sing, La Vie Boheme. Over, and over, and over again. Song ended? Start it again! At least an hour before they decided they'd sung it enough, for the time being.

It's no dog loving, for sure though.

catlord has a new favorite as of 22:19 on Aug 15, 2017

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
It's kind of a meta-aging thing rather than something inherent to the show, but most of the true crime podcasts I listen to at work are now long-running enough to be really off into the weeds with lesser-known crimes, and the number of SVU reruns I watch where I'm like "ohhh, that's totally meant to be that guy" is increasing exponentially.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Aesop Poprock posted:

So was he like upfront about the last two things or... I mean... how did you know this dude and how did this become public knowledge

He was a friend of my then-girlfriend, and we all knew each other socially through volunteering stuff. She's super nice and really bad about telling creeps to git and he kept telling her how he'd fallen in with this older dramabomb lady [she played Maureen, natch] and how it went from her banging him with a strapon to her fisting him to her footing him to her encouraging a dog* to bone him and he's like "don't tell anyone" and she's constantly thrusting the phone at me while I'm trying to eat a nice risotto or maybe play my stylophone all JESUS gently caress LOOK WHAT HE'S DONE NOW OH MY GOD WHAT DO I SAY IN RESPONSE. Eventually he phoned her one night needing a lift home from the hospital after he got his rear end fisted right the gently caress out of his body and she was like "okay dude we're quits now you're just too messed up".

I run into him quite a lot and I always greet him with a "Hi, dogfucker" which is a bad thing to do because really, the dog hosed him so it should be "dogfuckee".

For the record, I was once in an am-dram Little Shop of Horrors [I was Orin Scrivello] and I have never engaged in sex with any dog APART FROM YOUR MUM therefore Rent is scientifically terrible.

EDIT: Also the tattoo has the a comma between "cover" and "you" so do not watch Rent.

*border collie cross, name of "Reaver"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Doesn't rent-control usually only apply to people who live in a place at the time the rent-control is enacted, and then the landlord can jack up the rent when the old tenant leaves and a new one moves in? So any of these people in these shows buying or wanting to move into so-called "rent-controlled" buildings wouldn't be getting that sweet low rent anyway, right?

My understanding of the situation (from watching a bunch of Law & Order) is that rent control would stay if you were related to the person who originally lived there when the price was fixed. So you can't just move in to a rent controlled apartment, you have to have some kind of "in."