Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Just beat the game, got the "bad" ending. Can't say I agree with the complaints about bosses, they were all very fun and at worst only took a little bit of basic experimenting to figure out. The final boss was especially cool. Whoever said the final zone was bad is dead wrong, it was very good. This game was very good. I wish there were more original stages because those were the best part but the remixes were good as well. Sonic Mania is very good. I'm gonna go get all the emeralds and then probably play through the game like a million times with each character.

Are people really getting game overs left and right with this game? I had like 20 lives when I beat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

I just beat the game (without all the emeralds). Mania is Very Good. The music is fantastic, the level design is on point and the bosses are extremely fresh and creative. One or two bosses, I do wish were a bit better, namely Stardust Speedway Act 2 during the middle phase and Hydrocity Act 2 in it's last phase. I do enjoy those fights, but they're a little tricker for their own good. The final zone in particular just felt really cool (if a little long in Act 2), and so was the final boss, though I wonder what the game throws at me if I got all the emeralds.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Soooo, anyone else having major performance issues on the XBONE? Just installed it and it's running slow as hell. So slow that in the movie that plays if you don't hit anything the music finished about thirty seconds before the video did and it just kept playing with no sound.

Same thing happened once I started a game and the plane was flying. It's severely unplayable.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Beasteh posted:

hydrocity act 1 is pure water hell and unfun which is a shame because act 2 is fantastic

act 2 boss is awful though

Yeah, I felt the same way. I think it was the bubble maze and boat parts that killed it for me. There's probably a way to avoid those routes.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.

nerdbot posted:

I really dig the handful of Game Gear nods there are, I'm so glad they remembered those games in any way. Stardust Speedway boss obviously but the bubble puzzles in Hydrocity are taken from Triple Trouble I think

When your fighting the shapeshifter heavy and he turns into Knack, I'm sure some of the sfx were from Triple Trouble as well.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Sir Tonk posted:

Soooo, anyone else having major performance issues on the XBONE? Just installed it and it's running slow as hell. So slow that in the movie that plays if you don't hit anything the music finished about thirty seconds before the video did and it just kept playing with no sound.

Same thing happened once I started a game and the plane was flying. It's severely unplayable.

I would try restarting your xbox or maybe reinstalling the game.

Comedy option: wrong type of RAM, etc

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

man nurse posted:

I would try restarting your xbox or maybe reinstalling the game.

Comedy option: wrong type of RAM, etc

Trying that now. It's working with every other game so perhaps the install got hosed up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNwUpTJ6eS4

That's part of the intro video, for example.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

nerdbot posted:

I really dig the handful of Game Gear nods there are, I'm so glad they remembered those games in any way. Stardust Speedway boss obviously but the bubble puzzles in Hydrocity are taken from Triple Trouble I think

´It was in Sonic 2 MS/GG first

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Sonic mania feels very much like a dream you'd have about if they just kept making genesis era sonic game's.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Mr Phillby posted:

It's loving nuts that this year we've had the Best Zelda, Sonic and, come October, Mario title this century. 2017 is a great year for games.

Call me crazy but I don't think Mario Odyssey will be better than Mario Maker.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

beep by grandpa posted:

Sonic mania feels very much like a dream you'd have about if they just kept making genesis era sonic game's.

:yeah:

It also feels like how there are those indie games with amazing spritework but the gameplay sucks, except this one actually plays as amazingly as it looks.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
On Stardust speedway boss. Part 2 is easy. Just spin dash the little guys when they spin dash. And you should get past that in about 30 seconds.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

not if they decide to lead off with the claw grab

meanwhile metal sonic is lining up his orb of death to land the exact second you need to charge up your spindash to hit the little fucker

i one shot it the first time round by flawlessly punting the little guys into the boss and the second time around i died twice and it took forever

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

The music to this played instantly in my head. :shepface:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So what are you actually supposed to do against Hard Boiled Shinobi (Press Garden 2 Boss) I sort of idiot my way to victory on that one.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 15, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ConanThe3rd posted:

So what are you supposed to do against Hard Boiled Shinobi (Press Garden 2 Boss) I sort of idiot my way to victory on that one.

Only jump at him when he's in the air.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoDOUNC-G_g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSk7p-6rS3A

In case anyone runs into this, here's what it's doing. Reset the console, hard reset the console, uninstalled, etc. No change.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

All I am thinking a lot of the time is drat all you Sonic CD people must be in heaven given the massive size of these levels. There's so many secrets and traps in them, I love it. I can't wait for an in-depth sonic 4 comparison of level design.

There so big that I think I almost got all the chaos emeralds in the first 2 zone.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Good god, oil oceans second boss is loving miserable.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Sir Tonk posted:

In case anyone runs into this, here's what it's doing. Reset the console, hard reset the console, uninstalled, etc. No change.

Did u try blowing in the cartridge

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Augus posted:

Just beat the game, got the "bad" ending. Can't say I agree with the complaints about bosses, they were all very fun and at worst only took a little bit of basic experimenting to figure out. The final boss was especially cool. Whoever said the final zone was bad is dead wrong, it was very good. This game was very good. I wish there were more original stages because those were the best part but the remixes were good as well. Sonic Mania is very good. I'm gonna go get all the emeralds and then probably play through the game like a million times with each character.

Are people really getting game overs left and right with this game? I had like 20 lives when I beat it.

the bosses were easy as hell, they just werent that interesting to me half the time.

i mean its not like its a bad batting average. some were cool as hell!! i loved figuring out the ice sword boss' gimmick.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Motto posted:

Good god, oil oceans second boss is loving miserable.

You sure it went down pretty easy.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

beep by grandpa posted:

Did u try blowing in the cartridge

um sir did you know that is bad for it since you're getting water on the contacts and it corrodes them and

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Left it running for a while and everything is fine now :iiam:

Game rules, holy poo poo.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

You sure it went down pretty easy.

It's really hard to grab rings if you get hit.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Augus posted:

I can't really agree with the final zone but glad you enjoyed it. I just think it overused a gimmick that I wasn't fond of in the first place to the point I just wanted to die. Most of the level is just a big empty space with the gimmick object copy pasted loving everywhere and ughhh.

Doesn't help the stage goes on so long that the boss has to reset the timer just so it doesn't kill you. It just way overstayed its welcome for me.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Cool easter egg: Level select code for the Switch is B+Y+Plus on the title screen. Gives access to an old-school Sound Test too.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Sir Tonk posted:

Left it running for a while and everything is fine now :iiam:

Considering the Xbox runs on Windows 10, I'm wondering if what you've found is a rare issue on Xbox but turned out to be distressingly common on PC.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
omg chemical zone 2's boss

goty

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So I just picked this up on Xbone, and I keep getting an error about being unable to save game data and having to continue in No Save Mode...which I obviously don't want.

Anyone else encountering this?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Collector's Edition has yet to arrive........I'm falling apart

:smithicide:

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

i had to leave the thread to avoid spoilers but gently caress me

game is amazing

genuinely so so happy

S O N I C F O R E V E R

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Beat the game, went back and got all the Emeralds, and beat it again. Game fuckin' rules.

Only thing is how do I do the Drop Dash on the Switch version? And how do I access Debug Mode and & Knuckles Mode?

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
This game has some really clever level design. I just finished Flying Battery zone and I'm shocked at how fresh all the re-imagined levels are.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I can't really agree with the final zone but glad you enjoyed it. I just think it overused a gimmick that I wasn't fond of in the first place to the point I just wanted to die. Most of the level is just a big empty space with the gimmick object copy pasted loving everywhere and ughhh.

Doesn't help the stage goes on so long that the boss has to reset the timer just so it doesn't kill you. It just way overstayed its welcome for me.

It's fine if you don't like the gimmick but lol it's not even close to being copy/pasted, they milk a ton of variety out of it. Also a Act 2's layout is really neat and different from anything else in the series.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
the loving cpz boss is just copy pasted too how loving horrible I hate this

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

How hard is the CPZ boss compared to its source? Because I was just aggressively terrible at the original game and couldn't get close to the end of story mode, so while it was hilarious finding out what the boss is, I am not looking forward to actually playing it.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

I wish they had did something with the Sonic amiibo on the Switch, missed opportunity.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

How hard is the CPZ boss compared to its source? Because I was just aggressively terrible at the original game and couldn't get close to the end of story mode, so while it was hilarious finding out what the boss is, I am not looking forward to actually playing it.

It's baby mode, you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

its the easiest boss in the game