Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
just wanted to say sonic is: good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Sonic is really good and the Switch is the perfect platform for it.

2017 is such a great year for gaming that even Sonic the Hedgehog has no choice but to be really good.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

After playing Mario and DK platformers for the past 20 years, Sonic handles like total poo poo. I guess I'm gonna have to just spin dash everywhere? Because Sonic's feet just seem to be there for cosmetic purposes only

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

enojy posted:

After playing Mario and DK platformers for the past 20 years, Sonic handles like total poo poo. I guess I'm gonna have to just spin dash everywhere? Because Sonic's feet just seem to be there for cosmetic purposes only

If they kept it you can hit down while running and you'll get into a ball that way too

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I think the platforming experience depends on the physics you're used to. I've played far more Sonic, so Mario feels foreign to me, as well. Doesn't mean it's bad, it's just different.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Always been a Mario guy.

Echoing how crazy it is that Switch has a Sonic game but nothing with Mario, yet.

Looking forward to the 29th.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Would it make sense to create a thread for Mario + Rabbids? I can make a lengthy OP, but no info has come out for it since they goosed up all those youtubers to say "This game is hard."

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Definitely, I assume there'll be plenty of "How do I beat X battle" posts and other strategy stuff

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Mario XCOM is almost here! I am very excite.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I have 2 weeks to cure my Sonic Mania.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

So far my pro controller hasn't cause dpad problems in Zelda, hopefully I'm a lucky theoretical revision 2 owner.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Even if the dpad is busted it's hardly noticeable in Zelda, you might open up the wrong quickswap menu but that's not consequential.

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 15, 2017

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Sonic mania is fun and good. If you have any fond nostalgia for the og Sonic games, pick this up. Basically an ode the Sonic games of yore (read: the good ones).

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah sonic mania is pretty loving awesome. Question: On the checkpoint bonus stages, what’s the reward? I’ve gotten a few of them so far.

Oh and the chaos emerald stages are fun as gently caress.

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

I just got Sonic Mania and it is legit.

I played the original 2D games when they first came out but I'm not sure I ever really played them "right". I tried to collect everything, and not really use the momentum to my advantage. I think that style hurts me later in the game, but any time I try to go fast through a stage I end up finishing with 1 ring...

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

I just got Sonic Mania and it is legit.

I played the original 2D games when they first came out but I'm not sure I ever really played them "right". I tried to collect everything, and not really use the momentum to my advantage. I think that style hurts me later in the game, but any time I try to go fast through a stage I end up finishing with 1 ring...

That's normal. Collecting what you need while still going fast is obviously for repeat playthroughs.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah sonic mania is pretty loving awesome. Question: On the checkpoint bonus stages, what’s the reward? I’ve gotten a few of them so far.

Oh and the chaos emerald stages are fun as gently caress.

If you either collect all the rings or blue spheres it gives you some sort of token. I think it immediately took me to the level boss. Not sure though, since I've only been able to complete 1 of em

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!
Hmm this hedgehog fellow might actually be enough to turn my Switch back into a Switch instead of a Splatoon 2 machine.

May as well order it...

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

If you enjoyed any of the classic Sonic games (1, 2, CD and 3&K) then it's an absolute must buy.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah this is a great game to sit down and marathon but also for short bursts. Good job, Sega, I'm glad I got this because I feared it would blow.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I have a couple gripes after having finished Sonic Mania: the new levels are too busy looking and clash with the art style of the older ones. Also having blue spheres as the bonus stage slows down gameplay too much to the point where I ended up avoiding going into them altogether.

Otherwise? Game owns.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

dog nougat posted:

If you either collect all the rings or blue spheres it gives you some sort of token. I think it immediately took me to the level boss. Not sure though, since I've only been able to complete 1 of em

Nah, the tokens unlock stuff like the up+jump dash from Sonic CD or the double jump shield from S3+K. But either the unlocking is bugged, or it doesn't become actually available until you've beaten the game, because the extras menu is still all ????? for me.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Nah, the tokens unlock stuff like the up+jump dash from Sonic CD or the double jump shield from S3+K. But either the unlocking is bugged, or it doesn't become actually available until you've beaten the game, because the extras menu is still all ????? for me.

They only apply to a no save game in mania mode. Highlight that and press X to enable them.

Yes it's dumb that unlocks are restricted to no save mode only.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

dog nougat posted:

Sonic mania is fun and good. If you have any fond nostalgia for the og Sonic games, pick this up. Basically an ode the Sonic games of yore (read: the good ones).

I played all of about 10 minutes of any Sonic ever. GH zone 1.
But I grabbed this. I figured it was time to acquaint myself with Sonic and also my almost-five-year-old son.

As an aside: ask me anything about being terrible at this game. :)

Also: accepting any good advice.

[Ed] pre-emptive "keep quiet, Tim."

Feenix fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 15, 2017

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

So does Sonic Mania include the Red Barrel?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Feenix posted:

I played all of about 10 minutes of any Sonic ever. GH zone 1.
But I grabbed this. I figured it was time to acquaint myself with Sonic and also my almost-five-year-old son.

As an aside: ask me anything about being terrible at this game. :)

Also: accepting any good advice.

[Ed] pre-emptive "keep quiet, Tim."

:argh:

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Oh. I guess it does. Guess I just got it completed on the last check point before the boss on the 2nd stage. Still really digging this game. Wish I had rl friends who want to play videogames. Lots of great memories playing Sonic 2 mp w/ my brother back in the day.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Re: Sonic Mania

I am glad that I spent all that time playing Puyo Puyo, Dr. Robotnik was not prepared :smugdog:

Now if only I could remember how to do the sphere bonus stages properly and not peace out in 5.5 seconds

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 16, 2017

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

where is onion ring mode

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I am pleased with the surprises Sonic Mania keeps tossing out. Good game at a good price.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Re: Sonic Mania

Spoilers bro that's probably one of the coolest bits of Sonic Mania but I'm only on world 6 or 7 so far

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Someone asked if the Joycon AA battery packs made detached, divided joycons more comfortable and I bought them since my pro controller is in for repairs. And no, they're less comfortable than just plain old joy cons :(

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Lakbay posted:

Someone asked if the Joycon AA battery packs made detached, divided joycons more comfortable and I bought them since my pro controller is in for repairs. And no, they're less comfortable than just plain old joy cons :(

:oh:

Sorry about your thirty-five bucks, friend

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I can a full refund at least

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Stardew Mania

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
If anyone, like me, is better at the blue sphere bonus stages than the actual secret stages, debug mode is pretty great :getin:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Having a boss fight be a Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine duel was loving amazing.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
these loving buff lion centaur men are so much harder than the regular bosses

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

enojy posted:

Spoilers bro that's probably one of the coolest bits of Sonic Mania but I'm only on world 6 or 7 so far

Agreed, will do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Having a boss fight be a Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine duel was loving amazing.

:agreed:

Everything in this game is pretty great so far, every little "Hah, I recognize that mechanic" bit I come across gives me nostalgia fuzzies :3:

• Locked thread