Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The grossout stuff is whatever, but he was great at conveying absolute madness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bme0JpXQUg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Youuuuu

Both of youuuuu

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

get that OUT of my face posted:

one of my favorite front page articles is bobservo writing a "where are they now?" column about early '90s icons. one of the profiles was about John K.:

:stonk:

What the hell kind of miserable rear end in a top hat is too cool for Weird Al.

Also earlier someone said that Animaniacs was better animated than Ren & Stimpy, but to be fair to R&S its actually really well animated on a technical level. Especially for television and Especially, Especially for 1991, that level of animation was absolutely unheard of on TV at that time, it was really way higher than what was the norm, just compare it to contemporary Simpsons episodes or something.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 14, 2017

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

the voice work in this entire sequence is top notch, john k (as ren) is underrated as a voice actor (though of course billy west did a fantastic job after he went crazy)

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Oh, fun detail I noticed a little while ago, when Ren points his finger when he says, "But first.....First!" there's a sound of a switchblade being opened. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bme0JpXQUg&t=188s

:allears:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I forgot how expressive the animation can be when it's not just doing static shots of extreme gross closeups, I love the arm ripping/dangling motion from that threat

And I'm surprised that he wasn't involved in cow and chicken. I don't remember much about that show other than that it was also intentionally gross and they tried to see just how much rear end they could possibly get on cartoon network

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
That's arguably the worst part of it all, John K is so, so talented but he's a lech and it kind of puts a damper on the whole thing. There's this really interesting turn of the century aesthetic mixed with modern gross out humour that pairs so well but then you listen to the guy talk and it's like hmmm wish I never experienced that

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I think R&S gets tarnished by time, John K, and the gross out stuff. R&S definitely left a massive mark on what was acceptable for animation, and is forever part of animation history for it.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

YeahTubaMike posted:

the voice work in this entire sequence is top notch, john k (as ren) is underrated as a voice actor (though of course billy west did a fantastic job after he went crazy)

Yeah, I don't think I've ever heard another voice actor ever match that level of intense rage. Although I think at one point he started getting all manic and laughing a lot, but I guess that was when Billy took over? I do know that was how John K originally sold the show, by apparently acting almost exactly like Ren to whoever he was pitching it to.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

khwarezm posted:

What the hell kind of miserable rear end in a top hat is too cool for Weird Al.
i talked to bobservo over PM once and he said that he doesn't think that about weird al anymore

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I got free tickets to see weird al in concert last year and don't you know it was about one of the most entertaining concerts I've ever been to. Him and his band are great performers

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Wicker Man posted:

Yeah, I don't think I've ever heard another voice actor ever match that level of intense rage. Although I think at one point he started getting all manic and laughing a lot, but I guess that was when Billy took over? I do know that was how John K originally sold the show, by apparently acting almost exactly like Ren to whoever he was pitching it to.

i don't really remember the episodes or shifts in character chronologically, but west took over voicing ren in season 3 if that makes any difference re: what you said

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
With regards to the title, I'll let everyone know when I find it. I realized a few months back I hadn't seen some of the classic episodes in over a decade, and some of the not-so-classics of the early seasons in even longer, so I've been doing a full rewatch on the Simpsons World website.

I find it very hard to believe that season 1 of the Simpsons started a global phenomenon. It's such a weird, sad, and poorly produced little sitcom. I was a toddler when the first season came out, so I don't really remember what the other stuff on tv was like, but man oh man it must have been terrible for people to latch onto the Simpsons like they do.

Season 2 is where it actually starts to get watchable.

Seasons 3-6 are a pretty consistent peak, at least in my opinion.

Seasons 7 and 8 are sorta weird, the show doesn't get any less funny, but it starts to feel a little different. Season 9 is where it starts to become both different and unfunny.

I'm currently in Season 11. I don't know how much further I can go, but the feelings of laughter and humor have been replaced completely with morbid curiosity. I just watched the episode where Apu and his wife had octuplets. It originally aired in 1999! There's 17 years worth of Simpsons left!

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

54 40 or gently caress posted:

That's arguably the worst part of it all, John K is so, so talented but he's a lech and it kind of puts a damper on the whole thing. There's this really interesting turn of the century aesthetic mixed with modern gross out humour that pairs so well but then you listen to the guy talk and it's like hmmm wish I never experienced that

...Turn of what century? Ren and Stimpy was like early-mid 90s I don't remember there being a cartoon aesthetic it fits from the early 1900s

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Aesop Poprock posted:

...Turn of what century? Ren and Stimpy was like early-mid 90s I don't remember there being a cartoon aesthetic it fits from the early 1900s

yeah, but some of the art in R&S was definitely an intentional callback to Looney Tunes and the Hannah Barbara stuff.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

yeah, but some of the art in R&S was definitely an intentional callback to Looney Tunes and the Hannah Barbara stuff.

Right but that's like 50s-70s stuff

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Aesop Poprock posted:

it's prehistory to most goons

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Aesop Poprock posted:

Looney Tunes was around in the 30s, with a lot of iconic characters popping up in the 40s. It's not exactly "turn of the century" but it's pretty close.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
That's because I meant mid-century because he uses a lot of 1950s style colour and aesthetic. That was my own brain fart at play :)

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
https://youtu.be/KqFNbCcyFkk

I found this video on YouTube and it's pretty good. Doesn't say too much we don't already know and apes a lot from zombie simpsons. I kind of thought his discussion about the beginnings of the show were pretty informative.

A good click though to summarize a lot of the points made in this thread and others, especially for people who haven't familiarized themselves with it

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

There was an episode, probably one of the newer ones, where some green creature appeared out of nowhere several times and Homer was just beating it down. It was so unrelated to anything and lol random XD and it was awful.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

facebook jihad posted:

https://youtu.be/KqFNbCcyFkk

I found this video on YouTube and it's pretty good. Doesn't say too much we don't already know and apes a lot from zombie simpsons. I kind of thought his discussion about the beginnings of the show were pretty informative.

A good click though to summarize a lot of the points made in this thread and others, especially for people who haven't familiarized themselves with it

That video jogged loose a memory. Months before the Simpsons started airing, there was a bunch of merchandise hitting the market, and my elementary school banned it.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Iron Crowned posted:

That video jogged loose a memory. Months before the Simpsons started airing, there was a bunch of merchandise hitting the market, and my elementary school banned it.

I also found it interesting that the latest season apparently hit new lows for popularity, though IMDB ratings are not too be trusted at all. Could possibly just be internet idiots rating it low to be funny

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

facebook jihad posted:

I also found it interesting that the latest season apparently hit new lows for popularity, though IMDB ratings are not too be trusted at all. Could possibly just be internet idiots rating it low to be funny

Homer takes the family on a "hate-cation" to Boston when he catches Bart rooting for a rival football team. But after discovering the appeal of candlepin bowling over his regular bowling, and finding a better safety inspector job at a candy factory, they agree to move there. Meanwhile, Lisa discovers how much Boston has to offer academically compared to Springfield.

Homer discovers a new app that makes his life easier, and Grampa learns he's going to be a father again.

Bart spends time with Principal Skinner's mother, Agnes. Meanwhile, Homer and Lisa get addicted to Peekimon Get.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Sheriff posted:

I find it very hard to believe that season 1 of the Simpsons started a global phenomenon. It's such a weird, sad, and poorly produced little sitcom. I was a toddler when the first season came out, so I don't really remember what the other stuff on tv was like, but man oh man it must have been terrible for people to latch onto the Simpsons like they do.
The video facebook jihad linked to touches on this. Yes, TV absolutely was so bland that even season 1 of The Simpsons was seen as rebellious and raised the bar significantly.

In general I think it wasn't until the 90's that TV became more than mostly mindless fluff.

Sheriff posted:

Season 2 is where it actually starts to get watchable.

Seasons 3-6 are a pretty consistent peak, at least in my opinion.

Seasons 7 and 8 are sorta weird, the show doesn't get any less funny, but it starts to feel a little different. Season 9 is where it starts to become both different and unfunny.

I'm currently in Season 11. I don't know how much further I can go, but the feelings of laughter and humor have been replaced completely with morbid curiosity. I just watched the episode where Apu and his wife had octuplets. It originally aired in 1999! There's 17 years worth of Simpsons left!

Yeah, another thing people tend to either forget or not realize is that the show evolved continuously even during the classic seasons, but it never stopped being funny. I actually love season 2, it may not be the funniest, but it touches on some pretty dark and depressing areas in a wonderful way that must have been pretty shocking at the time. Seasons 3-4 have the perfect balance of more grounded character-driven stories and humor with subversive satire. Seasons 5-6 see an increase in wacky, absurd plots but are otherwise the same. And then in seasons 7 and 8 the showrunners at the time figured it would be ending soon so they decided to stir the pot and deconstruct the show a bit.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 15, 2017

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Remember as well that literally the third episode of the show (Homer's Odyssey) features Homer getting fired and later attempting suicide after struggling to find work. When your usual TV fare is dross like Doogie Howser, Family Ties and Who's The Boss, this sort of stuff was groundbreaking. Especially for a cartoon that kids could watch alongside their parents.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Tree Goat posted:

Homer takes the family on a "hate-cation" to Boston when he catches Bart rooting for a rival football team. But after discovering the appeal of candlepin bowling over his regular bowling, and finding a better safety inspector job at a candy factory, they agree to move there. Meanwhile, Lisa discovers how much Boston has to offer academically compared to Springfield.

Homer discovers a new app that makes his life easier, and Grampa learns he's going to be a father again.

Bart spends time with Principal Skinner's mother, Agnes. Meanwhile, Homer and Lisa get addicted to Peekimon Get.

Even though I saw a clip from one of those, I still need to tell you to stop posting obviously fake synopsises

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

Tree Goat posted:

:chloe:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

candlepin is superior to be fair.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Bart vapes.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Tree Goat posted:

the "homer votes" clip has disguised vladimir putin wearing Red Sox gear. that moment and this episode (which i'm gonna assume is real) were probably just ways for simpsons writers to wear their lovely sports fandom on their sleeves. i'm sick of entertainment and comedy being run by masshole sports fans, even on a show that's way past its prime

like, why not have putin disguised in Springfield Isotopes gear?

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Things started to go downhill in the Simpsons after Mike Scully became the showrunner. I remember reading a quote from him about things being easier if you lower your standards.

Ren slowing going insane in space is still one of my most memorable moments of that show, I love how he's just floating around in the bathwater in the background rambling nonsense to himself and eating soap.

"Didn't you hear them? Didn't you see the crowds?"

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

seeing that video and hearing a breakdown of The Principal and the Pauper further cements my belief that if you switched it with a different episode, that would be the most reviled episode. season 9 turned seymour skinner from a strict disciplinarian to a fraud, moe from a scuzzy lowlife bartender to a lovesick sadsack, ralph wiggum from a dopey but well-meaning kid to a sociopathic special ed caricature, and lionel hutz (imo the best character in simpsons history) from a shady and incompetent lawyer to a competent and cutthroat real estate agent. each of these side characters had an entire episode dedicated to one or more of the simpsons getting involved in their reimaginings

season 8 was bizarre, but it didn't change any of the characters- Hurricane Neddy told us about ned flanders's past without radically rewriting his character. it still had a heart

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Flipping around on TV and Homer Vs NYC was on. I really dislike this episode. The whole thing was "here I am being insane and violent for no reason whatsoever"

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Johnny Aztec posted:

Flipping around on TV and Homer Vs NYC was on. I really dislike this episode. The whole thing was "here I am being insane and violent for no reason whatsoever"

They literally show why he hates New York so much before they even go :nallears:

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Johnny Aztec posted:

lol if you never had a family member irrationally hate a place due to their own stupidity

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Fried Watermelon posted:

lol if you never had a family member irrationally hate a place due to their own stupidity

get that OUT of my face posted:

i'm sick of entertainment and comedy being run by masshole sports fans, even on a show that's way past its prime

EnvyJ
May 4, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Principal and the pauper was great, gently caress you oval office otherwise

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

EnvyJ posted:

Principal and the pauper was great, gently caress you oval office otherwise

I honestly like the episode, but it is a pretty solid damnation about how the Simpsons would be from that point forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I rewatched the movie last night.
It was good for a few laughs.