Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Bring back Megalon and Titanosarous, just cause I like that movie a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

DLC Inc posted:

Not gonna lie, I'd love to see Gigan's hosed-up rear end return in a future movie if only because he is SO WEIRD. He was part of some truly awful movies but at least Final Wars acknowledged how terrifying he was and stuck him in as the midboss of the finale.

He had a decent showing in the old NES game as a higher level boss but that's even more forever-ago.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

DLC Inc posted:

Not gonna lie, I'd love to see Gigan's hosed-up rear end return in a future movie if only because he is SO WEIRD. He was part of some truly awful movies but at least Final Wars acknowledged how terrifying he was and stuck him in as the midboss of the finale.

I had a Gigan toy and it was my favorite. He's just got so many cool elements and a cool name. I remember getting really excited when G14 trailers were dropped because I thought the Mutos' weird hook arm might have been Gigan's claw.

Anguirus toy was my second favorite and Biollante third (because he couldn't really move).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Does make me wonder how the Legendaryverse will take on the weirder Kaiju, if at all. Pacific Rim had its own handwave with interdimensional alien biotech, but the Legendary films are focusing more on the ancient superspecies angle, which I have to admit I really like, because obscure and weird evolutionary dead ends are awesome.

They might go for magical realism at the very least with Mothra, Hedorah has been hinted at, and Ghidorah... I get the feeling they might throw a curveball and have him be an outright alien organism when everyone assumes another ancient superspecies, but we'll hafta see. Aliens would be a big genre intrusion on the more nature-horror themed films. (Though I also like the idea of Ghidorah being mutant conjoined triplets, too horrible to die)

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

If they keep up the prehistoric leftovers angle, there's stuff like Megalodon and giant squid. They could MUTO up a few of those and be good for a while. I agree that adding clear-cut aliens would likely be a mistake - very easy to mishandle.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Jet Jaguar is a lost evolution of Neanderthal.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

well why not posted:

If they keep up the prehistoric leftovers angle, there's stuff like Megalodon and giant squid. They could MUTO up a few of those and be good for a while. I agree that adding clear-cut aliens would likely be a mistake - very easy to mishandle.

Skull Island outright has a giant squid. Also about the first clear cut case of one Kaiju preying on another for the purpose of food.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Inescapable Duck posted:

Does make me wonder how the Legendaryverse will take on the weirder Kaiju, if at all.

Gigan and Megalon are definitely no-shows. we'd sooner see Gigan in a Japanese movie instead, more likely.

they could update the mechagodzilla take on it by trying to create a bio-mech Godzilla but it gets hosed up royal and need hand amputations and prosthetics, which leads to it looking like Gigan, but that wouldn't happen in Legendary pictures either

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Both the ending of Kong and the official synopsis for King of the Monsters seem to imply Ghidorah is from Earth. But I think it'd be cool if they made Ghidorah the thing that killed the dinosaurs in prehistoric times, like in the later Mothra movies.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
He probably fell from space like Megatron.

In fact, I'm confident that that's what they're going for.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
I've got a free Ultra Violet code for Shin if anybody want's it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/Mike_Dougherty/status/897113397539590144

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

BattleTech posted:

I've got a free Ultra Violet code for Shin if anybody want's it.

I would happily take this off your hands if you've still got it. Then I just have to figure out how to convince people to watch it.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Watching Shin with the dub AND the subtitles really shows you how much punch was taken out of the dub. It doesn't feel nearly as biting.

It's not necessarily bad, it just feels more conventional.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

wdarkk posted:

Watching Shin with the dub AND the subtitles really shows you how much punch was taken out of the dub. It doesn't feel nearly as biting.

It's not necessarily bad, it just feels more conventional.

Now that it's out, how did they end up dubbing American Girl? They just leave her dialog intact for all the hilarity that would entail or did they drop that part of Her character?

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Aug 15, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mechagodzilla is pretty much the original Jaeger, right? Wouldn't be surprised if that's the natural escalation of humanity having to deal with monsters, creating their own monster to try and fight them. Possibly a bio-mechanical being made out of Kaiju remains, since they're the only materials strong and versatile enough to make a giant robot work.

Oh hey, if they're hinting the Oxygen Destroyer, that's a different way of escalating.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Inescapable Duck posted:

Oh hey, if they're hinting the Oxygen Destroyer, that's a different way of escalating.

I like it. It's a callback to the 1954 movie, and it's a statement about environmental damage.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Inescapable Duck posted:

Skull Island outright has a giant squid. Also about the first clear cut case of one Kaiju preying on another for the purpose of food.

Don't the Muto's eat and lay eggs in Godzillas and the Skullcrawlers eat Kongs? Or do you mean specifically shown on screen?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

PriorMarcus posted:

Don't the Muto's eat and lay eggs in Godzillas and the Skullcrawlers eat Kongs? Or do you mean specifically shown on screen?

The latter, not just implied or stated.

(also, it's apparently called the Mire Squid, and is a squid/octopus hybrid, or at least an evolutionary offshoot with aspects of both)

The Kaiju must be made of incredibly strong and exotic materials just to beat the square cube law, Pacific Rim even played on how Kaiju bodies are gold mines for scavengers. Wouldn't be surprised if both the Pacific Rim and Godzilla sequels played on humans finding uses for Kaiju body parts. Apparently one version of Mechagodzilla was already basically an EVA.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

remusclaw posted:

Now that it's out, how did they end up dubbing American Girl? They just leave her dialog intact for all the hilarity that would entail or did they drop that part of Her character?

They basically just dropped that part of her character. All her lines are dubbed over, even the parts where she spoke English. Which kinda makes it weirder when she says those lines.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Inescapable Duck posted:

Mechagodzilla is pretty much the original Jaeger, right? Wouldn't be surprised if that's the natural escalation of humanity having to deal with monsters, creating their own monster to try and fight them. Possibly a bio-mechanical being made out of Kaiju remains, since they're the only materials strong and versatile enough to make a giant robot work.

That is literally how Kiryu works in the two Millennial Mecha-Godzilla films

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, I feel like if MechaG's gonna be in MonsterVerse, it'll have to be like Monarch making their own anti-Big G weapon.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Mechgodzilla is a pretty iconic Godzilla kaiju though, right up there with Mothra, Rodan, and Ghidorah. If they don't have MechaG outright, they'll tease it or reference it.

Re: Gigan chat

Gigan would make an interesting example of a "modern" kaiju: one humanity accidentally creates. Big G in the new Monsterverse is ancient and not particularly tied to the atom bomb in this iteration so Gigan being the result of rogue genetic modification/nanotech would be apropos for today's audience. Ancient evolutionary alpha predator vs modern engineered experiment gone wrong. It's a pretty good dichotomy if the setup is remotely believable.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You guys are forgetting the possibly even dumber but equally fun option

The original Mecha doppleganger kaiju

MechaniKong

raise your hands if you wouldn't like to see MechaniKong as the main threat of Skull Island 2

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Honestly, I would prefer it if the alien monsters were still aliens. There's this screenwriting 101 thing in modern Hollywood where every fantastical element has to come from the same source, or the characters have to be related in some way, and its kind of crap.

e: So you can't have "ancient monsters are awakening on Earth" and "aliens are invading" as two different plot devices because that's too many disparate elements or whatever.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Gigan is an intergalactic bounty hunter sent to take down (or capture) his former partner King Ghidorah

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Gigan is an intergalactic bounty hunter sent to take down (or capture) his former partner King Ghidorah

Better option

Gigan is a failed experiment to try and stop Ghidorah

In the Showa Era, Ghidorah was a planet killer. Why not work that in? There used to be more life in the cosmos and then Ghidorah came by and now only monsters reign

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Burkion posted:

Better option

In the Showa Era, Ghidorah was a planet killer. Why not work that in? There used to be more life in the cosmos and then Ghidorah came by and now only monsters reign

yeah, you could have the Nebula M Space Hunters or whatever be a group of aliens that got together and created Gigan as a last-ditch effort before being wiped out completely by King Ghidorah.

basically the beginning of Man of Steel but with Gigan.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Ghidorah is the reason for the Fermi Paradox and humanity has to beg Earth's kaiju that it is worthy of saving.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Burkion posted:

Better option

I like that. It would go well with my Super Awesome Idea™©® (do not steal) that the humans manage to "defeat" Ghidorah by pointing him to a less troublesome planet to demolish. Maybe Earth is left to deal with Godzilla, Kong, and Gigan, but, hey, one step at a time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Would be interesting if they assume Ghidorah must be another ancient, mutated superspecies, then with considerable difficulty they get a sample from him and realise it's not remotely like any terrestrial creature, including Godzilla.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Oh poo poo, King of The Monsters will film here on Mexico City this weekend

quote:

In the last three weeks, Mexican technicians have compelled themselves to the construction of an airplane that will be featured in Godzilla in the Historic Center of Mexico City, next week.

For three weeks, Santo Domingo, on the first square of the capital, will be part of the new movie of the Japanese monster directed by Michael Dougherty, Krampus director, and X-Men writer.

“It seems the airplane will be destroyed,” said a source from production.

Up to now, Mexico City Film Commission (Comisión de Filmaciones de la Ciudad de México) and the Local Secretariat of Culture (Secretaría de Cultura local) have not disclosed any information.

According to the traffic light promoted by the Commission, Godzilla will be a high impact production ( red color) due to its location.

From Saturday, August 19 to Tuesday, August 22, a series of vehicular closures will be made in the Historic Center of Mexico City due to the filming of Godzilla: King of Monsters.

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/english/mexicans-build-airplane-godzilla-movie

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Maybe they'll find more of Tenochtitlan while they're at it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
New trailer for Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters, has a few glimpses of the Big G

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16K-M2IzTWw

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So he pretty much is Shin and 2014 having a baby

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Why does G only look a few feet taller than the trees he's around? I get that the plant life grew too but it makes him look small by comparison.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That weirdly gives me Nier: Automata vibes. Earth being rendered effectively uninhabitable to humans and the survivors fleeing to space does sound like the logical endpoint of having Kaiju around, Pacific Rim specifically demonstrated the concept is a slow apocalypse.

Also reminded of Half-Century War; 'Half the world was in ruins and the other half was waiting its turn'.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Theatrical poster

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

That's my boy Big G right there, yeah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Not too sure about the CGI yet, but hopefully it'll all work out.

The studio has done some good budget work before, and hopefully this will have a slightly higher budget