Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Someone can do an effortpost later but they're putting out Barry Lyndon, Fire Walk With Me and Othello in October so I'm pretty excited.

Does anyone know what the Fire Walk With Me disc will have that's different from the latest Blu-Ray? Is it a new transfer or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Maldoror posted:

Does anyone know what the Fire Walk With Me disc will have that's different from the latest Blu-Ray? Is it a new transfer or something?

A spine number.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I think also it'll be the only FWWM blu-ray available.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
Wasn't there a Blu-ray released with The Complete Mystery? Or was it just a DVD upscale? (I don't have TCM)

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Toebone posted:

What are the funnest movies in the collection?

You know I was thinking, for such a sad and depressing movie, Forbidden Games is also actually really funny too.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Maldoror posted:

Wasn't there a Blu-ray released with The Complete Mystery? Or was it just a DVD upscale? (I don't have TCM)

Yes there is one and it looks to be the same transfer

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Maldoror posted:

Yeah but in some regions the Complete Mystery boxset has been discontinued and replaced with a set with only the series, not FWWM.

After one half of my B+N pickup arriving a week after I placed the order, I finally contacted them to see where my Straw Dogs was that shipped around the same time. They declared it lost and refunded me, and now it just turns up in the mail, so go me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Blood Simple is a must own Criterion, goddamn. Some films are kinda like you remember even after a great restoration, but Blood Simple is really elevated to another level by this transfer. The Coens had their poo poo together right from day 1, take 1, it really does feel like a Citizen Kane-level debut.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Even the demo trailer is an exciting two minutes. It's not surprising they got investors on board with that, despite almost no experience.

I think one of the best shots in the film is Julian talking about his suspicions outside and at the height of his anger, a fly gets caught in the bug zapper behind him.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Something Wild is added to Filmstruck according to their twitter, so that's that.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Cacator posted:

Tampopo made me so loving hungry

I mean I've loved Tampopo since the day it came out, but the ending really sucks.

:haw:

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I'm a big pussy who was really enjoying Tampopo until the turtle showed up. That kind of killed my mood.

Also makes it harder to recommend to other people.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Aug 16, 2017

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I'm a big pussy who was really enjoying Tampopo until the turtle showed up. That kind of killed my mood.

Also makes it harder to recommend to other people.

I mean, in terms of filmed turtle slaughter it's kinda on the low end. And once we started getting egg sex it didn't really rate super high on the wtf scale considering it's Japan, I guess.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Egg sex is a much easier sell.

Anyway, I'll definitely try it again sometime, despite that. It's part of cooking, after all.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

November:
The Philadelphia Story
Desert Hearts
Jabberwocky
Le Samourai

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I've been waiting to buy Le Samurai for years.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I've been waiting to buy Le Samurai for years.

It owns, I'm definitely getting the upgrade.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
I'm really excited about another Gilliam hitting the collection. I just adore the man and his work and can only hope this means Baron Munchausen is on the way.

I, Butthole fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 16, 2017

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

It owns, I'm definitely getting the upgrade.

I didn't get Le Cercle Rouge or Army of Shadows upgraded when I had the chance, I shan't miss out again!

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Basebf555 posted:

Blood Simple is a must own Criterion, goddamn. Some films are kinda like you remember even after a great restoration, but Blood Simple is really elevated to another level by this transfer. The Coens had their poo poo together right from day 1, take 1, it really does feel like a Citizen Kane-level debut.

Just watched this last night. And you are correct, the transfer is amazing. It definitely is a really solid film, and its interesting to see the Coen's humor/style at its beginning. Some of those shots (bullet holes or side of the highway scenes) were really impressive. I really loved the ending as well with the laugh and everyone still confused.

I am excited to check out the supplements now later tonight.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

checkplease posted:

Just watched this last night. And you are correct, the transfer is amazing. It definitely is a really solid film, and its interesting to see the Coen's humor/style at its beginning. Some of those shots (bullet holes or side of the highway scenes) were really impressive. I really loved the ending as well with the laugh and everyone still confused.

I am excited to check out the supplements now later tonight.

There's a great panel type thing with the Coens and Barry Sonnenfeld where they are actually watching the movie and commenting on it, but the conversation is filmed(and edited a bit for time) so it's not just a regular commentary track.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

The original Blood Simple DVD has a joke commentary track where they had some actor pretend to be a film historian and relaying ridiculous behind-the-scenes information about the movie, like how a fly was computer generated or another scene was filmed with the actors upside down. Shame they don't have it on the Criterion.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Watched Straw Dogs for the first time tonight. I'm going to have to dive into the supplements, since it's fascinating. I found myself becoming repulsed by the film, then that seems to go away once there's rape and murder. It's a damning portrait of human nature in the darkest way.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Egbert Souse posted:

Watched Straw Dogs for the first time tonight. I'm going to have to dive into the supplements, since it's fascinating. I found myself becoming repulsed by the film, then that seems to go away once there's rape and murder. It's a damning portrait of human nature in the darkest way.

I half randomly ended up watching Straw Dogs and Night of the Hunter back to back, and it ended up being an interesting combo to say the least. New Hollywood vs a Silent Era callback from the 50s with about as diametrically opposed world views as possible (and both featuring a climactic home invasion).

NotH as the 2nd was definitely a good palate cleanser.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Egbert Souse posted:

The interview with Linda Williams is essential watching. It's interesting though that through a modern lens, I think the implied positioning of David as a draft dodger who ironically is in his element with violence kinda becomes more sympathetic or at least is blunted over time; in '71, dodging was so tied into conscientious objection/pacifism and the hippie movement and David's use of it as a facade is part of why he's so horrifying. Now, though? The US has had two consecutive republicans who have avoided active combat either through nepotism or dodging the draft (and have either directly led or incited massive violence) that David is pretty inoffensive, all things considered.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I, Butthole posted:

The interview with Linda Williams is essential watching. It's interesting though that through a modern lens, I think the implied positioning of David as a draft dodger who ironically is in his element with violence kinda becomes more sympathetic or at least is blunted over time; in '71, dodging was so tied into conscientious objection/pacifism and the hippie movement and David's use of it as a facade is part of why he's so horrifying. Now, though? The US has had two consecutive republicans who have avoided active combat either through nepotism or dodging the draft (and have either directly led or incited massive violence) that David is pretty inoffensive, all things considered.

One thing that was fascinating is how the line between David being a protagonist and antagonist becomes blurred. He's clearly an intelligent man, but he's just as misogynistic as the the others. Almost in a more vile way because we expect him to be above that. I think that's what makes the rape scene so horrifying because Amy is consciously having to suppress her feelings because of how much of a dick David has been. I've become more fond of Peckinpah's way of using violence to intentionally repulse the audience because that's exactly the point. I read somewhere that he believed if films actually showed violence in a realistic and grotesque way, "maybe we'd get somewhere." Even more on the nose that he chooses points of view that put the viewer as a lecher and uses slow motion on killshots. The way the film had those quick cuts showing Amy's trauma was brilliant.

Best of all, I'm glad I get a lot of references to the film now, especially the "Salad Days" Monty Python skit and the shootout in Hot Fuzz. :v:

Where should I go on Peckinpah from here? I've seen Ride the High Country, The Wild Bunch, and Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, as well.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
^^^^
Watch Cross of Iron. It kinda falls off the rails at the end but the rest of the movie more than makes up for it.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Egbert Souse posted:

One thing that was fascinating is how the line between David being a protagonist and antagonist becomes blurred. He's clearly an intelligent man, but he's just as misogynistic as the the others. Almost in a more vile way because we expect him to be above that. I think that's what makes the rape scene so horrifying because Amy is consciously having to suppress her feelings because of how much of a dick David has been. I've become more fond of Peckinpah's way of using violence to intentionally repulse the audience because that's exactly the point. I read somewhere that he believed if films actually showed violence in a realistic and grotesque way, "maybe we'd get somewhere." Even more on the nose that he chooses points of view that put the viewer as a lecher and uses slow motion on killshots. The way the film had those quick cuts showing Amy's trauma was brilliant.

Best of all, I'm glad I get a lot of references to the film now, especially the "Salad Days" Monty Python skit and the shootout in Hot Fuzz. :v:

Where should I go on Peckinpah from here? I've seen Ride the High Country, The Wild Bunch, and Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, as well.

Seconding Cross of Iron as the follow up.

All the cuts to Amy during the rape were the actresses idea too, from what I recall - Peckinpah had intended to go a bit more explicit. It results in something way more effective, though.

RE: Amy suppressing her feelings for David during the initial rape, I never read it like that myself. I always thought it was her attempt at exerting her own power/autonomy in retaliation of David's dominance, as was her ignoring him yelling at her to shut the blinds when she walks around topless earlier. If you take into account the narrative of David as a draft dodger, his attempts to protect his own identity come at the cost of someone else. Despite being from rural Cornwall, Amy is very metropolitan so you'd have to assume she left for a reason; David uses her to find a "quiet place to work" (/escape the draft) - thinking of how Amy is presented, you'd presume she's been established in a completely different way of life, and David drags her back to it. He gets furious at her attempting to confront the workers about the cat with the saucer of milk. He refuses to give up Niles to the villagers against Amy's wishes, eventually making her complicit in bloodshed. Then at the end, he leaves her at the house in the aftermath - she has to reflect on what her attempt at autonomy has wrought, while he drives away smiling which is bleak as fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Writing and re-thinking about the film really makes you realise how much of a goddamn psychopath David is.

Anyway, now for something completely different:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmcrreUVBeo

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Went out tonight to try a new Ramen restaurant in town, so naturally I had to watch Tampopo again tonight. Beyond being fun, there's some nice shots in it. How are Itami's other films? Guess he made some films that angered both Yakuza and right wingers.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

checkplease posted:

Went out tonight to try a new Ramen restaurant in town, so naturally I had to watch Tampopo again tonight. Beyond being fun, there's some nice shots in it. How are Itami's other films? Guess he made some films that angered both Yakuza and right wingers.

I've seen his first movie called The Funeral which I didnt care for. It was rather boring I remember.

A Taxing Woman and A Taxing Woman Returns were both good and funny.

The one the Yakuza tried to kill him over is Minbo: The Gentle Art of Japanese Extortion which is pretty funny too.

I'd reccomended those if you can track them down.

Hector Beerlioz fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 20, 2017

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I've seen his first movie called The Funeral which I didnt care for. It was rather boring I remember.

I loved "The Funeral" but it's a film where you definitely have to be familiar with Japanese funerary customs in order to get all the humor.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If I strongly disliked His Girl Friday, am I just as likely to dislike Philadelphia Story? The synopsis is for all intents and purposes the same, at first blush at least.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
It's a lighter screwball romantic farce that I don't think ever gets as cynical as His Girl Friday. For the record, I think The Philadelphia Story is merely okay while His Girl Friday is fantastic.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Nate RFB posted:

If I strongly disliked His Girl Friday, am I just as likely to dislike Philadelphia Story? The synopsis is for all intents and purposes the same, at first blush at least.

You are likely to dislike it but not as likely to dislike it as much. If you're like me you may like Arsenic and Old Lace (1944) slightly more.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Robert Harris (restoration guru) posted on HTF that The Philadelphia Story's new 4K restoration is off the rediscovered original camera negative.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Per CF.org, an upcoming BFI festival will feature a new Sony 4K restoration of A Matter of Life and Death. Also lists the ‘32 Scarface as being newly restored by Universal. Both are practically certain to be Criterion releases.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tom Jones?

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Maybe Broadway Danny Rose?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

Maybe Broadway Danny Rose?

Twilight Time put it out not long ago.

Also, it seems like at least the MGM titles that lapse with TT end up with Kino now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Finally, Mars Attacks is getting the respect it deserves.