Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

VolticSurge posted:

Wait, it's good? I'm saying that because it came from the same devs as the aggressively :mediocre: Layers of Fear.

I've only played it for a bit over an hour, but I'm hooked. Maybe the game crashes and burns towards the end, I'll find out soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Metal Gear Rising doesn't recognize my right stick at all. Anyone know what might be causing this? Xbox 360 controller.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

IronicDongz posted:

Metal Gear Rising doesn't recognize my right stick at all. Anyone know what might be causing this? Xbox 360 controller.

Do you have Xbox One Controller? Go to big picture mode, find the game, go to controller options for that game and turn off Steam controller configuration support. It breaks right stick and dpad in some games.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

havenwaters posted:

6gb 1060's somewhere between a 970 and 980 or something so no real issue there.

Basically you can find stuff priced close enough to what they used to be if you search long enough/get lucky with nowinstock alerts.

Yeah, my point being that a 1060 is hardly a leap at the moment,

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Hav posted:

Yeah, my point being that a 1060 is hardly a leap at the moment,

Oh I thought they had like no video card/a 760 or 770 or something old.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Sininu posted:

Do you have Xbox One Controller? Go to big picture mode, find the game, go to controller options for that game and turn off Steam controller configuration support. It breaks right stick and dpad in some games.

Not xbox one, but that worked, thanks!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

havenwaters posted:

Oh I thought they had like no video card/a 760 or 770 or something old.

lol the last time i posted about my gpu specs i had a brain fart and was thinking 970 but it wasn't. i have a 770 :v:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Blattdorf posted:

I've only played it for a bit over an hour, but I'm hooked. Maybe the game crashes and burns towards the end, I'll find out soon enough.

How does it play? A Cyberpunk FPS walking simulator? Are there puzzles?

It looks awesome and apparently I have a 20% off Coupon because I own Layers of Fear (which I have never played because its it my Steam backlog. :v:).

In other non-Steam news: StarCraft: Remastered is out on Blizzard App Blizzard Battle.net. I've only dipped into the first few missions of the Terran Campaign but its nostalgia++. The only notable changes I noticed were:

- The "green text" scenes in-between missions now have comic-style background

...and uhh...that's it? They changed how some of the characters look in the new up-rezzed portraits. The audio is all the same.

Yes, the cheesy cinematics are still there in all their glory, just up-rezed so they look less pixelated.

A+, would recommend to fans of Starcraft.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 15, 2017

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i went from a 970 to a 1060, but mostly because i was building a new computer from scratch anyway so i figured i'd future proof the graphics card while i was at it

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Snuffman posted:

It looks awesome and apparently I have a 20% off Coupon because I own Layers of Fear (which I have never played because its it my Steam backlog. :v:).

In other non-Steam news: StarCraft: Remastered is out on Blizzard App Blizzard Battle.net. I've only dipped into the first few missions of the Terran Campaign but its nostalgia++. The only notable changes I noticed were:

...and uhh...that's it? They changed how some of the characters look in the new up-rezzed portraits. The audio is all the same.

Yes, the cheesy cinematics are still there in all their glory, just up-rezed so they look less pixelated.

Outstanding

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Blattdorf posted:

Looks like it would be a thing I would enjoy but lol @ no 21:9 support

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Snuffman posted:

There are some puzzles and interaction. I think it's on the level of Penumbra or, again, SOMA, but it does its own thing.

It's definitely not hands-off, walk to the exit.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Snuffman posted:

So, you didn't notice the overall new graphics they've done up?
Pretty much everything about it looks new and shiny and just way more detailed.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Deakul posted:

So, you didn't notice the overall new graphics they've done up?
Pretty much everything about it looks new and shiny and just way more detailed.

Oh I noticed the detail. I think the major worry (or at least mine was) that they were going to remove/replace cinematics and audio. I had visions that they'd replace the mission briefings with dramatic-still-frame-comic-cinematics.

But they didn't.

And the graphics are new, but only feel new in the sense that they're more detailed versions of the original.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I am a giant sucker for all things Saints Row. Here's a convo I'm having 2 hours in to Agents of Mayhem

Taintrunner: I demand answers about agents of mayhem
Elizabeth Mills: it's uh... it's not great. Imagine all the gameplay of Saints Row with none of the charming story
Taintrunner: jesus that sounds miserable
Elizabeth Mills: Imagine what a GI Joe game would be (open world, bigger-than-life characters, mediocre gunplay and abilities) then add in some of them saying "gently caress"
Taintrunner: Oh man, some of them even SWEAR?! Woooaaahhh-oohh-oohhhh
Elizabeth Mills: Maybe it gets better, there are hints of a cool game later. Johnny Gat is unlockable.
Elizabeth Mills: It does some neat stuff, but it's a SUUUUUPER generic third-person mission-based action shooter. Like Crackdown minus Orbs

orbs were the best part of Crackdown and that's why they (correctly) added them to SRIV/Gat Out of Hell

Elizabeth Mills: You do start the game, however, with a triple-jump+air dash, so that's cool, but there's almost no indication when you're getting hit/taking damage, so you just suddenly die. It needs more feedback. And Hardtack is the most tryhard "this is the Samuel L Jackson character" ever. Like, goddamn did they want to put Shipwreck from GI Joe in this thing
Elizabeth Mills: Oh! It just randomly hardlocked (refusing even Alt+F4 inputs!) when I tried to edit my squad, so it's buggy as well as unfun!

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 15, 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011
Shocking.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

taintrunner is a much better handle than elizabeth mills

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
I don't think anyone was more than cautiously optimistic about Agents of Mayhem. It reeks of design by committee.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Cryohazard posted:

I don't think anyone was more than cautiously optimistic about Agents of Mayhem. It reeks of design by committee.

I guess I just wasn't expecting it to be "the Committee to gently caress Up Saint's Row"

It's absolutely joyless so far, which seems impossible given the devs pedigree

E:

very helpful :rolleyes::fh:

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 16, 2017

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Has anyone gotten Aven Colony?

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Hey if you bought Observer and have Layers of Fear, hold off on playing it for more than 2 hours. Not even an hour after I bought Observer I got a coupon for 20% off Observer for Layers of Fear owners.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

I guess I just wasn't expecting it to be "the Committee to gently caress Up Saint's Row"

It's absolutely joyless so far, which seems impossible given the devs pedigree
I'm prolly thinking of the dozens of other studios who've went from decent to lovely as a result of staffing, but wasnt there some significant senior leavings/staff shakeup with volition a year or so ago?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I wish volition would make freespace 3 instead :argh:

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Fun fact: Saint's Row hasn't been anything but mediocre at least since 4.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

I am a giant sucker for all things Saints Row. Here's a convo I'm having 2 hours in to Agents of Mayhem

Taintrunner: I demand answers about agents of mayhem
Elizabeth Mills: it's uh... it's not great. Imagine all the gameplay of Saints Row with none of the charming story
Taintrunner: jesus that sounds miserable
Elizabeth Mills: Imagine what a GI Joe game would be (open world, bigger-than-life characters, mediocre gunplay and abilities) then add in some of them saying "gently caress"
Taintrunner: Oh man, some of them even SWEAR?! Woooaaahhh-oohh-oohhhh
Elizabeth Mills: Maybe it gets better, there are hints of a cool game later. Johnny Gat is unlockable.
Elizabeth Mills: It does some neat stuff, but it's a SUUUUUPER generic third-person mission-based action shooter. Like Crackdown minus Orbs

orbs were the best part of Crackdown and that's why they (correctly) added them to SRIV/Gat Out of Hell

Elizabeth Mills: You do start the game, however, with a triple-jump+air dash, so that's cool, but there's almost no indication when you're getting hit/taking damage, so you just suddenly die. It needs more feedback. And Hardtack is the most tryhard "this is the Samuel L Jackson character" ever. Like, goddamn did they want to put Shipwreck from GI Joe in this thing
Elizabeth Mills: Oh! It just randomly hardlocked (refusing even Alt+F4 inputs!) when I tried to edit my squad, so it's buggy as well as unfun!

This made me realize how hard I would play a G.I. Joe licensed hero-based FPS/TPS.

OR HE-MAN poo poo that would be awesome. I am sad this probably won't happen.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
tecmo-koei obtain the rights, and a finger curls on the monkey's paw

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Det_no posted:

Fun fact: Saint's Row hasn't been anything but mediocre at least since 4.

I agree, Saints Row has been mediocre after its last full installment. That's a good opinion a person sound of mind would have, I'm glad we both agree.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
I played NMS for ~3 hours and I think i'm done forever again. I've been spoiled by Subnautica perhaps, that was great.

But then again my opinion doesn't mean much, look at my top 5 games played on steam which i've removed the hours count from because it's horrifying:

Mount & Blade: Warband
Elite Dangerous
FTL: Faster Than Light
RimWorld
Pinball FX2

I had to ban Rimworld because it was too great and I was losing sleep.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Dias posted:

I agree, Saints Row has been mediocre after its last full installment. That's a good opinion a person sound of mind would have, I'm glad we both agree.

Maybe they really didn't like Gat out of Hell :v:

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

dmboogie posted:

Maybe they really didn't like Gat out of Hell :v:
It was exactly what I expected and for $5 (Gamestop pre-order deal I think), it was totally decent. $20 is a bit much though, yeah.

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe
Nadia Was Here

At it's heart, Nadia Was Here is a puzzle game. The description might say it's an RPG, but if you don't like lots and lots of puzzles, then thanks for your time, but this game is not for you. For everyone else, let me tell you about this awesome undiscovered gem.

Nadia Was Here has two major gameplay features: the dungeons and the combat, which are both puzzle based, in my opinion.

First up, combat. Combat works like a typical Final Fantasy Active Time Battle system in that each character has a gauge and it fills up. Once it's filled, the character takes an action. The difference with NWH is that there is no pause once the gauge is filled for you to select your action. All the characters will continuously do whatever action is selected until you switch them. Instead, when you want to switch between actions, you just select the character, select the new action (which pauses the game), and that's it. The character will now continuously do the new action.

Another part of combat is lanes. You have 3 characters arranged in a vertical line. Each character faces an enemy arranged in a similar vertical line. Each character can only hit the enemy in front of them. However, you can switch you characters around at any time. So if your physical attacker gets paired with a physical immune enemy, just swap him with the mage. You can also see the enemy's attack gauge, so when you combine the two, you get some neat puzzles to solve. Do you want to steal something with your squishy thief, but the enemy is a strong physical attacker and will ice her in one hit? Wait for her attack gauge to fill up, switch her in for the hit, and then switch her with your tank so he can take the enemy hit.

Let's talk about the characters, because they're all unique. First up is Nadia. She's a thief, so she steals stuff. That's it about her, right? Nope. She steals enemy weapons, which she personally adds to her arsenal. So, eventually you'll stockpile a huge pile of weapons (really, just special skills) that she'll use on the enemy. Need to poison an enemy? Use the fang. Health is constantly low? Use the claw which does more damage depending on how low your health is.

Next up is Hogan, your physical tank. His specialty is shields. Some of them will reduce physical or magical damage, but others will increase his attack or inflict status ailments when he attacks.

Last is Tereshan, the mage. He's actually a newbie mage, so you'll have to learn them from enemies by having Tereshan complete his study action while an enemy is casting the spell you want to learn. He'll be your main magic and status damage dealer, along with your healer.

Speaking of healing, any items you need to use don't take an action for the character. They're done real-time, by you. Do you want to chuck 5 small potions on your characters in 5 seconds? You can do that. Dump a bunch of charms (magical damage) on one enemy before their turn? Go for it!

If you're feeling overwhelmed by the battle system, don't worry. You can always pause the game at anytime to see what's going on, or set the battle speed to 50% if it's going by too fast.

Aside from getting weapons/skills/shields/magic/etc, from the enemy, the only other piece of equipment to worry about are amulets that you'll find around the world. Each character has 3 slots for amulets, and an amulet can be upgrade 3 times for better and better effects. You can get more HP, a better steal chance, or just more money and dust (currency for upgrading amulets) from battle. That's it for accessories. No armor or weapons or whatnot to worry about.

In addition, there are no random battles. Either you'll see the enemies in the dungeon (and the only respawn in one dungeon in the game), or when you move to a new area for the first time, the game will pop up with a window saying that you'll have to fight X battles in a row. Once you do that, that's it. If you want to fight some more, you'll have to find some new areas on the map or go in the arena.

That's a lot of words for the battle system, but that's a major draw to the game for me. The battle system is amazing. Every battle is fun and exciting, and once the game starts ramping up the enemies, they do really become a puzzle to be solved. Is an enemy kicking your teeth in? Then you better change your strategy because there is no grinding and no levels. You might worry about the "no levels" bit, but the difficulty curve is so good that I didn't realize there weren't any character levels until near the end of the game. In this game, I'm constantly looking forward to new enemy encounters because of how fun they are. What new weapon and/or magic will I get from this enemy? What kind of new strategy do I need to defeat this group?

The second major draw from NWH is the dungeon puzzles. In each dungeon there are multiple puzzles to solve before you can progress, eventually you'll get items which are used to solve more puzzles in dungeons. And then you'll get more items that will combine with your other items in puzzles that need both items to progress. The first item you get is the Earth Flute, which is a bit boring. You use it to grow plants. I didn't find many interesting puzzles using it, but the second item you get is the Fire Bongos, which let you set the space one square in front of you on fire, which is used for burning plants that block your way. Notice the limitation of one square in front of you, and not directly in front of you. There are a lot of puzzles that take into account the fact that you can't just walk up to a plant and torch it. The other two items you get are equally as awesome and interesting.
Because there are no random encounters, the puzzles become quite elaborate, but that's OK because you're never interrupted in the middle of your puzzle.

The game also has a couple of quality of life improvements for an RPG. While there are save points that refill your HP and remove any status effects, the game also saves on every screen, so it's easy to put the game down for the night when you're in the middle of a dungeon. To talk to people or search objects, you just need to bump into them, no mashing X required. There are also hidden items everywhere, so it's fun to walk around and bump into things and see what you get. You can also switch characters on the fly, and NPCs will sometimes say different things depending on who they're talking to.

The story has an interesting hook, once it gets going (minor story spoilers: 100 year time loop), and the characters are pretty interesting, but they could be fleshed out a bit more. If you're playing this game, it's a lot more for the gameplay and less the story.

It's been a while since a game hooked me like this, especially a psudo-RPG. I've got 21 hours so far, and I'm taking on the side quests because I don't want the game to end. I'm planning on getting all the achievements too (they're pretty reasonable). I love the chiptune music, and something about that weird colour pallet just draws me in. This game definitely needs more love, so if you want to solve puzzles in dungeons with a cool battle system, go pick this up! There's also a battle demo, so you can check out the battle system if you're interested!

(how do you do medium images again???)

Zaphiel fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 16, 2017

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

iRend posted:

I played NMS for ~3 hours and I think i'm done forever again. I've been spoiled by Subnautica perhaps, that was great.

What didn't you like about it? I loved subnautica (60 hours at least) and have 90 mins in NMS. I can see the potential in it, but not sure if I will fully discover it by the 2 hour refund limit

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Zaphiel posted:

(how do you do medium images again???)
If they're imgur hosted, add an s/m/l/h just before the '.'

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

You have no idea how much I love this shoddy translation sometimes.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Away all Goats posted:

What didn't you like about it? I loved subnautica (60 hours at least) and have 90 mins in NMS. I can see the potential in it, but not sure if I will fully discover it by the 2 hour refund limit

It doesn't seem to continue to run when it isn't in focus and this is a criminal provlem for a game with as much autorun as NMS.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION

Away all Goats posted:

I took an hour to get it running and setup the controls so they weren't terrible, I mostly failed. I did a few jumps, checked out some of the new stuff, wandered around on a planet for a bit, was overwhelmed by "I've already done this" and will probably uninstall it before opening again. I took one screenshot which was pretty. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1111989922

e: oh, I eventually alt+f4'd when it started bugging out and crafted stuff wouldn't work.

iRend fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 16, 2017

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
I remember when Steam first came out and it was kind of a weird thing and people still bought giant cardboard boxes that contained CD-ROMs.

Now all the games are on Steam and the last time I installed Steam was 15 years ago.

I want to play Sunless Sea as it seems very much my poo poo.

Will I have an okay time on my Dell XPS 13?

Sorry to sound like a videogame grandpa :(

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
So with Steam's new harsher region-restricting crap, if I paid someone from the UK $35 to grab me one of these keys (possibly a goon EHH WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE?!!):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Manhattan/dp/B01N2VOG00

Would I be SOL on activation?

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it to work.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Aug 16, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
So today a remake of Dungeon Manager ZV is out and it's good stuff.

ZV2 was a weird lame tower defense but this is the weird shoddy dungeon designing game you all know and love possibly so check it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ikari Worrier posted:

And horrible freshman year creative writing.

For the record I genuinely love the genre as a whole and would rank Gone Home as one of my favorite games of all time, but I bounced off Dear Esther HARD. I can't deny that it's a pretty game but having Discount Liam Neeson narrate a crummy story whose twist is guessable 10 minutes in while you're forced to walk at a snail's pace between the 800 invisible walls is not my idea of a good time.

I am both often thick and haven't played it in years, so... Dear Esther has a twist? :confused: