Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Man gently caress these Sonic 3-style bonus stages. I wish they'd give you the same ones until you beat them, instead of randomizing them. That's brutal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Having a blast playing as Knuckles, I think the bosses are more fun with him

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

btw Knuckles has level design changes (some major ones, even!) so if you haven't played as Knuckles yet you should do that.

not that I need to tell you tho, who wouldn't play as Knuckles?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

TheChirurgeon posted:

Man gently caress these Sonic 3-style bonus stages. I wish they'd give you the same ones until you beat them, instead of randomizing them. That's brutal

They're not even S3-style. Most of the ones I've seen are straight up, literally, the S3&K emerald and super emerald stages.

Also, I just got a text that my Sonic Mania PC Collector's Edition came today.

Granted I probably can't download it since it's a code.

Anyway, on the PS4 version, game is really good so far, though Mirage Saloon 1 is... rough. There are a couple spots where the camera is zooming and if you jump as Sonic it's instant death. But it was nice to have a Sky Chase homage level.

gently caress the Metal Sonic boss fight though.I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually but that was not fun the first time. The first "phase" where he makes the little silver sonics seems to be much easier it you generally spindash instead of jump though.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Linear Zoetrope posted:

They're not even S3-style. Most of the ones I've seen are straight up, literally, the S3&K emerald and super emerald stages.

More than half of them are brand new and I actually enjoyed doing them. once.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Evil Eagle posted:

More than half of them are brand new and I actually enjoyed doing them. once.

I think at least several of them I recognize from Blue Spheres stages. As in the stages you can do if you lock on S&K to non-Sonic games. I could be wrong though and they could be new hand designed ones.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It's not that hard. If they spindash right away, spindash into them. If they don't, wait for them to do the arm grab attack and then slide across the floor, then their next move will be the spindash 100% of the time

you don't need to rev up in preparation either, only a single button press or two will give you more than enough momentum. as soon as you see the revving animation you can quickly duck and press A and spindash into it very reliably. hell, the dropdash is tailor-made for this kind of situation. I sped through this boss no problem on my second playthrough.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
TBF, I had more trouble with the dodge portions than the potions where you could damage him.

But then I also couldn't figure out how to do the drop dash until Oil Ocean 2.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I couldn't figure out how to get to the big ring in Mirage Saloon Act 1.

Also, I got Act 2 done a lot faster then most other stages.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

I think I just found the best glitch in the game.

I call it Vegeta Sonic

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I love the game but TMZ act 2 is way too insanely long and repetitive

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah Knuckles has some diffrences in stages when you play as him,

Also for the Stardust speed way act 2 boss. Just spin dash the little minions when they do it. It makes everything go smoothly.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Jarogue posted:

I think I just found the best glitch in the game.

I call it Vegeta Sonic

Ha, same thing just happened to me. Also got a weird one where the music cut out in act 1 and didn't come back until act 2.

e: also, any way around activating super rather than the drop dash once you have 7 emeralds, or do you just have to start a new game at that point?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I've got mania.

Sonic Mania.

This game loving owns. I was just smiling like a little kid all over the place while I played this evening. My only complaint is I miss the goofy gumball machine/big electric ball/slot machine bonus levels and the Sonic CD-style chaos emerald games are hard as balls.

Also

Robotnik TV World is amazing and the weather report boss is some good poo poo. Also laughed my rear end off at ROBOTNIK'S MEAN BEAN MACHINE BOSS and then tried to figure out how the hell to play it since I've never played it before

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Where's the chicken from, it looks really familiar

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Got to Metallic Madness Act 2, but I'm out of steam for the day. The spirit is willing to go on, but the body is weak. What a fun game.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

MikeJF posted:

Where's the chicken from, it looks really familiar

It's from Mushroom Hill.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Somebody tell me how to do the emerald game, I've failed on #5 like 6 times now

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Beat it, and what an absolute joy it was to play. Level design was great, and I loved how much character was put into the game.

Was only able to get 3 emeralds. Special Stages are far more difficult than they appear.

One of my favorite moments was turning the tide on Eggman in Hydrocity Act 1, and using the boss mobile from Sonic 3. That was so satisfying, and Eggman's diver outfit was amazing.

Regarding some returning levels Never would've expected Oil Ocean & especially Metallic Madness to return. MM was always the weakest final level in the classic series, and somehow they turned it into one of the best levels in the game. Loved jumping between the background & foreground. Which is just such a great evolution from the revolving panels from the original level.

Sonic Mania rules, and now I have to catch that drat fourth Chaos Emerald.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

It is long but I love the gimmicks of the stage so much that I welcome the length honestly.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Not a Children posted:

Somebody tell me how to do the emerald game, I've failed on #5 like 6 times now

If you set a planned course on what you get on the first and second lap you will be able to keep up with the ufo and always be able to get it on your 3 lap. At least that the way I did some of them. 4 of them I did on my first try.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Collector's edition finally came in around 6:00pm CST. I went for a straight shot playthrough, beat it an hour ago as Sonic alone. God drat did I feel rusty, and I've forgotten how draining a marathon Sonic session can be. By the end of the game my reflexes were all gone to poo poo.

Thoughts: holy gently caress I love this game. Got 4 emeralds, could have had 5. Oh well, got plenty of time to conquer this monster.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Oxyclean posted:

I couldn't figure out how to get to the big ring in Mirage Saloon Act 1.

Also, I got Act 2 done a lot faster then most other stages.

It involves backtracking (unless there's some trick to normal jumping). Go forward until you get the lightning shield, than use its double jump to get into the cage with the ring. (Assuming Sonic)

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I actually caught emerald 7 at Mach 2, I was surprised

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I keep getting mach 3 on emerald 5 but the ufo is just *gone* by that time so I spend 20-30 seconds just running. I don't know what to do differently

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Linear Zoetrope posted:

It involves backtracking (unless there's some trick to normal jumping). Go forward until you get the lightning shield, than use its double jump to get into the cage with the ring. (Assuming Sonic)

You can just jump off the left and hold right. Though I definitely did run to the checkpoint before trying that

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
What the gently caress do those Black Ring boxes do? I hit one once with zero rings and it killed me

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Evil Eagle posted:

You can just jump off the left and hold right. Though I definitely did run to the checkpoint before trying that

Yeah, I tried that and died. And I hadn't hit the checkpoint. So I decided to never try that again and figured the lightning shield was easier. I must've just messed it up.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Emerald #5 seems like its where things get tough, I did the first 4 on my first try and I've had a few attempts at #5 with no luck.

Linear Zoetrope posted:

Yeah, I tried that and died. And I hadn't hit the checkpoint. So I decided to never try that again and figured the lightning shield was easier. I must've just messed it up.

Exactly what happened to me.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I keep getting mach 3 on emerald 5 but the ufo is just *gone* by that time so I spend 20-30 seconds just running. I don't know what to do differently

You can get mach 3 on the first lap by getting mach 2 just before the fork and bouncing to the arrow powerup on the left path which will take you straight to mach 3. The UFO should be close enough that you can catch it fairly quickly so long as you don't screw up somewhere.

I don't know what it is about special stage 5 but the UFO in that one is straight up impossible to catch after a certain point if you don't get fast enough quickly enough.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Jetfire posted:

What the gently caress do those Black Ring boxes do? I hit one once with zero rings and it killed me

Eggman box equivalent maybe?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Evil Eagle posted:

I actually caught emerald 7 at Mach 2, I was surprised

Huh, I was curious if that was possible. Wonder if you can actually gain on UFOs by mach 2 or if stage 7 is just that easy to cut corners on.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Just finished the game. I even beat all the Blue Spheres stages I think this game finally pushed Sonic CD out of 1st in my top favorite Sonic games. It has everything I loved about CD and more. The stages, music, sprites, loved all of it. Couldn't recommend people buy Sonic Mania enough. I hope Sega get Whitehead and crew to make more games, I want to see Sonic Rush style game from them.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Jarogue posted:

Just finished the game. I even beat all the Blue Spheres stages I think this game finally pushed Sonic CD out of 1st in my top favorite Sonic games. It has everything I loved about CD and more. The stages, music, sprites, loved all of it. Couldn't recommend people buy Sonic Mania enough. I hope Sega get Whitehead and crew to make more games, I want to see Sonic Rush style game from them.

Only one gold?

I don't think getting all of them does anything anyway

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

Only one gold?

I don't think getting all of them does anything anyway

It doesn't which is why I didn't bother, also you can't make go back in to Blue Sphere. Not now, not ever, (unless I'm playing S3&K)

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I loving love the remixes and the music in this game.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
On PS4 I keep getting the thing where the music just stops. Sometimes a boss fight will do it, and then it comes back on the boss theme when they die. Sometimes the special stages stop. And then you just run around. Alone with your thoughts.

Otherwise, I really liked the game. Got the Secret stage and all that. But I really dislike the whole, 'I have no idea if I'm doing damage to some of the bosses' thing. The secret boss took me while, because I had no idea hitting the boss was doing anything. And kept ruining out of rings by using the emergency waste 10 rings to do nothing move.

Still the best Sonic game since the genesis / colors and generations eras though.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

I think its length is an in-joke, considering it resets the timer at the boss.

Super Jay Mann posted:

It is long but I love the gimmicks of the stage so much that I welcome the length honestly.

Yeah, TMZ is awesome, and a distinct improvement from MMZ (ugh) and OOZ. It's just so incredibly kinetic and fast. Loving all the level and music callbacks to S1 Final Zone.

Also, anyone catch that the Boss for Hydrocity 2 is a callback to S1 Labyrinth Zone boss?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Metallic Madness is great

Motto posted:

Huh, I was curious if that was possible. Wonder if you can actually gain on UFOs by mach 2 or if stage 7 is just that easy to cut corners on.

I just did it on emerald 1 as well as tails. Maybe the UFOs move at different speeds in each stage idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Also, I thought the final boss was pretty cool. Definitely cooler than some of the others in the game.