Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Basebf555 posted:

Can you elaborate a bit on what you mean by "nonsense"? I only ask because a lot of people would probably call the plot of John Wick 2 nonsense but I absolutely love the insane world of that movie. Is it along those lines, or more of just a completely nonsensical plot that's impossible to even follow?

It's not as good as Wick 2 so don't expect that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Killzone 2 is, no bullshit, my favorite action movie of the last few years. Yes, this means it beats John Wick and John Wick 2. It really is a return to the pitch-perfect melodrama and beautiful fighting of HK's heyday.

I watched Killzone 2 tonight and while the fight scenes were really good I thought the beginning of the movie was overly complicated. Where it started out at the prison and then did an elaborate flashback to how he ended up there.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Can you elaborate a bit on what you mean by "nonsense"? I only ask because a lot of people would probably call the plot of John Wick 2 nonsense but I absolutely love the insane world of that movie. Is it along those lines, or more of just a completely nonsensical plot that's impossible to even follow?

Mostly the former, but it becomes the latter in the last 15 minutes or so. It isn't a patch on the Wicks story-wise though, not quite as self-aware, more just not treating it as important compared to the style (which isn't a huge deal, because the style owns, until said last 15 minutes).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Haven't watched Kill Zone 2 yet, but the first one is great. Just the right combination of tragic backstory, police cliches, and kicking rear end. Thanks to whoever first recommended it, I had no idea it even existed.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I just learned that Jin/Max Zhang from Killzone 2 is going to be in Pacific Rim sequel. He played the evil prison warden who got the best fights.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Has anyone seen Re:Born? It stars Tak Sakaguchi (the main dude from Ryuhei Kitamura's Versus) and was directed by that movie's action director, Yoji Shimamura. It came out last year in Japan and did the festival circuit but there's been no word on any kind of distribution as far as I know and I wanna see it :cry:

The trailers aren't the best but the action looks good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAgEMsF-U5U

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

muscles like this! posted:

I watched Killzone 2 tonight and while the fight scenes were really good I thought the beginning of the movie was overly complicated. Where it started out at the prison and then did an elaborate flashback to how he ended up there.

Yes that got me the first time too.

It's totally unnecessary and I don't know why they did it. However once I re-watched the movie and "got it" it became an all-time great. Coincidentally that second time was with a friend and I said to him "ok, there's a flashback here" and he was able to follow it and loved it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Actually the first one kind of does that as well, starting with the crash and then going back to show how it happened. It's not a big deal since it only goes back like 5 minutes but also mostly unnecessary.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
A stuntwoman died yesterday in a motorcycle accident on the deadpool 2 set. :(

Is stunty death as rare as it seems or is it not usually publicized?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

got any sevens posted:

A stuntwoman died yesterday in a motorcycle accident on the deadpool 2 set. :(

Is stunty death as rare as it seems or is it not usually publicized?

More not usually publicized, from what I gather. It seems like lately it's been happening once every few months or so.

e: a ghoulish question, but I wonder if they trash the take when a stuntperson dies, or use it anyways if it looks "right"?

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/TIFF_NET/status/897460034925363200

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

John Woo went from one guy with two pistols to two guys with one pistol. Definitely evolving.

Edit: I know I'm just being a nostalgic dweeb who is wallowing in the past but I really wish he could get Chow Yun-Fat for one movie more. The dude is looking a little older but he's still got the chops. I would love to see him make a wild swing at one more operatic blood opera with the old gang. Even if it were mediocre poo poo I would cherish it forever.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 15, 2017

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Whoa, I had no idea. Red Cliff did nothing for me unfortunately, but I still trust that The Master can deliver something kickass in the correct crime action genre. Pretty pumped now!

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Hell yeah Chow Yun-Fat is the best and most charismatic action star

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Edit: I know I'm just being a nostalgic dweeb who is wallowing in the past but I really wish he could get Chow Yun-Fat for one movie more. The dude is looking a little older but he's still got the chops. I would love to see him make a wild swing at one more operatic blood opera with the old gang. Even if it were mediocre poo poo I would cherish it forever.

He might still be in HK Movie Jail after dropping out of Red Cliff the week before it started filming going by a lot of the stuff he's been in lately. :(

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5237980/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_4
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5112622/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_3

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Oh drat, I might be able to go see this.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

FancyMike posted:

Hell yeah Chow Yun-Fat is the best and most charismatic action star

Nah, his twin brother is cooler.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Neo Rasa posted:

He might still be in HK Movie Jail after dropping out of Red Cliff the week before it started filming going by a lot of the stuff he's been in lately. :(

gently caress. I hadn't considered that.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Whoa, I had no idea. Red Cliff did nothing for me unfortunately, but I still trust that The Master can deliver something kickass in the correct crime action genre. Pretty pumped now!

There's a difficult balance to strike in a movie battle scene between stylisation (showing manuvers and giving a sense of tactics) and brutality, and Red Cliff, like the Battle of the Bastards, is on the wrong side of it. With the exception of the first fight, it all feels like a kid playing with toy soldiers.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

More not usually publicized, from what I gather. It seems like lately it's been happening once every few months or so.

e: a ghoulish question, but I wonder if they trash the take when a stuntperson dies, or use it anyways if it looks "right"?

My guess is that they would use it

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Wandle Cax posted:

My guess is that they would use it

I think they tend not to. That is, apparently, why Michael Bay reused footage from The Island in Transformers 3, because someone died in that stunt.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Snowman_McK posted:

There's a difficult balance to strike in a movie battle scene between stylisation (showing manuvers and giving a sense of tactics) and brutality, and Red Cliff, like the Battle of the Bastards, is on the wrong side of it. With the exception of the first fight, it all feels like a kid playing with toy soldiers.

I actually loved this about it. I mean it's based on Romance of the Three Kingdoms not History of the Three Kingdoms. I like that it drowns in honor-chat melodrama and battles being won or lost because one person has a certain insight because it perfectly nails the legendary excess of its source.

If anything they didn't go far enough. Like it needed the part where anybody who's anybody realizes that Guan Yu's beard is way too beautiful so they force him to wear a custom made beard veil when he goes to the Emperor's court otherwise the Emperor would be shamed for life and worthless and the kingdoms would be thrown into anarchy upon realizing how not even the Emperor could have as good a beard as Guan Yu.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

If anything they didn't go far enough. Like it needed the part where anybody who's anybody realizes that Guan Yu's beard is way too beautiful so they force him to wear a custom made beard veil when he goes to the Emperor's court otherwise the Emperor would be shamed for life and worthless and the kingdoms would be thrown into anarchy upon realizing how not even the Emperor could have as good a beard as Guan Yu.

I suspect we won't see eye to eye on the battle scenes, but we can forge a lifelong friendship based on how hard we agree that that scene should have been there.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

I think they tend not to. That is, apparently, why Michael Bay reused footage from The Island in Transformers 3, because someone died in that stunt.

I think it's a thing where if a stuntman is injured and the footage is useable that will make it into the film, I guess a death would be a bit different but it's probably a case by case thing. If they died the stunt probably went wrong and would not be useable, but what if they completed it with injuries and it still looked good? Would it be disrespectful to include it? If it were me i'd want the footage to be used if it could be.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RqQr-nUy18

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I see John Woo is back to his old tricks again...And they're really good tricks!!!!

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Does having a woman instead of a dude sliding across a banquet table shooting two guns count as a new trick?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm watching Ladyhawke and the music is so bad, you guys. It sounds like it should be in a fast food training video.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Hey man, it was the 80's. Crossing Conan with Flash Gordon was cool at the time

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I figured it out. All the big songs have a melody ripped off from a Human League single.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Hitman's Bodyguard has some pretty good action, couldve been great with a few longer takes for some stunts, but it wouldve made em harder to nail the shot :shrug:
drat funny too, might be the best action comedy of the year.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

got any sevens posted:

Hitman's Bodyguard has some pretty good action, couldve been great with a few longer takes for some stunts, but it wouldve made em harder to nail the shot :shrug:
drat funny too, might be the best action comedy of the year.

It was really generic in execution, but not in a way that left me bored. The headline for my review was "Best Action Comedy of 1991," and I meant that lovingly...though I really should've done my research and double checked what classic action-comedies came out in '91, because I'm pretty sure I'm about to get owned in here.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm watching Ladyhawke and the music is so bad, you guys. It sounds like it should be in a fast food training video.

Aw come on, it's not that bad. (it's pretty bad though)

Should have used Goblin. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQejiArD608)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Ladyhawke is awesome and has the best TurboGrafx-CD soundtrack ever made.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

nope

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

sean10mm posted:

What's the most exaggerated "The streets are a WARZONE OF CRIME!!!" movie?

Lots of contenders for that one from the 1980s.

Hobo with a Shotgun comes to mind. Donald Trump's sons take a flamethrower to a bus full of children to the song disco inferno. I love how tasteless that movie is.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Neo Rasa posted:

Double Nope.

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu_pNnEymLY)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

sean10mm posted:

What's the most exaggerated "The streets are a WARZONE OF CRIME!!!" movie?

Lots of contenders for that one from the 1980s.

It's gotta be Death Wish 3.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Halloween Jack posted:

Remember, studios wanted Star Wars to have a disco soundtrack and Conan the Barbarian to have a rock soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Got tickets to see the new John Woo at TIFF. I'm pretty excited, but I'll be seeing it a week after its first showing because those first few screenings sold out by the time the tickets went on public sale.