Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Flyndre posted:

That sounds like a very cool job Jerome. A sciency question: is bottle shock really a thing? It sounds odd to me that vibration over a relatively short time span can have any significant impact on the taste of the wine.

In our group, when we discuss bottle shock we're referring to wine that has just been bottled. Our SOP is to only profile wines after they have been in the bottle for 30+ days (and more luxury stuff, 90+ days), as profiling wine that has just been bottled is not a really accurate depiction of what consumers see. I actually try to procure wines right from store shelves, even if it's stuff we make, since it's not a fair comparison to test competitor stuff that has been sitting on the shelf awhile, and then test our stuff fresh from the bottling line/that has been sitting in our refrigerated distribution center.

Anyways, back to bottle shock, and this is probably a lame answer. I haven't really experimented much personally with comparing wines that have freshly been bottled versus the same wine after it has been in the bottle for 30+ days, so I don't know if I could really say, objectively, what the difference would be. My expectation is that the freshly bottled wines would likely have more sulfury components that will settle with time and will mask primary fruit aromas when too fresh.

Referring to the effect of vibration, I don't really think a small amount of vibration would have too much of a perceivable/measurable effect on wine sensories, especially younger wines. Given enough time, and if the wine is already a bit aged, the vibration would likely speed up the effects of aging -- i.e. primary fruit aromas disappearing, bruised fruit aromas becoming more apparent etc.

Crimson posted:

Cool stuff, Jerome. Learning the deductive tasting method as used by the CMS actually sounds like it would be right up your alley. Learning to use it effectively is all about developing a strong vocabulary for what you're tasting/smelling, and being able to do it accurately and consistently. But yeah, you do have to put a suit on to take the tests, haha.

I'm assuming your tasters aren't paid particularly well, right? Do any of them typically have any background in wine coming in, or do you train them from scratch?

If I do go further focusing on wine I'll probably go for an MS in viti and enology from Davis, I have the contacts there and live in the area and have all the prereqs, so that may be the next thing. Or I'll do a part-time MBA and learn winemaking on my own/shadow our winemakers... decisions decisions. No suits for me :) just dirt stained flannels and jeans please.

Yeah the tasters are only paid ~$11 to $13 an hour, they're mostly retirees or house wives from the area. We give away a ton of wine and make it fun for them, but yeah, not paid great. I prefer that our panelists don't have any experience with wine, so that I can train them from a clean slate. Knowing too much can bias them -- an example of this, if they get red fruit, they might think pinot noir, and instead of focusing purely on what they're experiencing in the nose or the mouth, they might have expectations of what should be in a pinot noir, and that's all they will focus on rather than being open to experience. Our worst taster was a wine judge for the State Fair and she fancied herself an expert, and she tried to get way too creative with her profiles, which led to her having very very poor consistency and we had to let her go. The panelists taste everything blind in black glasses so even the influence of color is removed, and they taste everything twice (without knowing when the 2nd rep will be), so we can ensure they're being consistent.

It's pretty interesting. When people ask what I do for work I tell them I taste wine for a living, which is basically the truth. It's a good thing our company offers good dental insurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002
Having been a part of judging for the Bay Area papers, the bar for entry for the judges is particularly low, and giving the judge position to someone who has been in the industry for a long time definitely gives them an inflated sense of how good their palate is. Just being in the industry doesn't mean you've forced yourself to go through rigorous training on how to evaluate wine objectively in a blind setting and make accurate calls (and enduring the humility that comes with being wrong hundreds/thousands of times until you're consistent). My family has been drinking wine their entire lives and they don't know poo poo, which is how I feel about a lot of people in various sectors of the industry.

I don't mean to put CMS on a pedestal, but I do find it frustrating how much weight the industry will place on what amounts to untrained palates belonging to writers/bloggers who shouldn't be trusted to give accurate and consistent evaluations of wine.

beefnchedda
Aug 16, 2004
Anyone know anything about Chateau saint mambert? As good as its neighbors in Pauillac? A 99 vintage.

Skooms
Nov 5, 2009

pork never goes bad posted:

The thing that really gets my goat about this argument is that there really was a trend, a state of affairs, in the wine world where taste was homogenizing, production methods were on a consistent trajectory towards the industrial a la food or beer production on a large scale, and producers who had always been more or less natural often ended up with the choice between intervention, selling grapes cheap, ripping up traditional grapes and replanting industrial varieties, or folding. Natural wine represents a radical critique of that paradigm, of that history, a rejection of sameness and engineering in favor of freshness and vivacity. And now that the mainstream is incorporating elements of the radical critique, of course the radicals further radicalize and concomitantly the mainstream moves the goalposts. But it'd be nice if industry apologists admitted that natural wine is a spectrum, that natural products and producers have had a positive influence across the wine world - perhaps this would allow some more constructive dialogue. Benzinger wouldn't be biodynamic without some trailblazers laying the way. I see more natural producers and critics by far talking like idiotsavant about minimizing intervention but allowing a sensible amount than the people he criticizes, but perhaps I don't try to show wines at Brumaire or RAW. But if you admit the nature of this spectrum, I also don't see something wrong with carving an arbitrary piece out of it for some specific event.

This is it! Thank you.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Jerome Louis posted:

Referring to the effect of vibration, I don't really think a small amount of vibration would have too much of a perceivable/measurable effect on wine sensories, especially younger wines. Given enough time, and if the wine is already a bit aged, the vibration would likely speed up the effects of aging -- i.e. primary fruit aromas disappearing, bruised fruit aromas becoming more apparent etc.
In my anecdotal experience travel shock is a real thing for some wines - the same bottling is generous and open when walked 50 yards from the winery to the house for dinner, but put in a messenger bag and biked to a restaurant is pissed off and discombobulated and shut down hard. Afaik they don't necessarily have a mechanism to explain it though, do they? Other than the obvious action of chunking a wine around in the bottle.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Seems like it would be an extremely easy thing to do blind tests of. Has nobody? I can't find anything easily with google.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there an iOS app people use for keeping track of the wine they drink, sort of like Untappd is for beer? I like to keep a record of what beers I've tried and want to do the same for wine.

I don't necessarily need cellar tracking or the like, but it can be a feature as well.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there an iOS app people use for keeping track of the wine they drink, sort of like Untappd is for beer? I like to keep a record of what beers I've tried and want to do the same for wine.

I don't necessarily need cellar tracking or the like, but it can be a feature as well.

CellarTracker

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Vivino is another one. https://www.vivino.com/

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Vivino is "snazzier" and there's an equivalent app whose name escapes me. But I prefer Cellartracker for its functionality. However, on none of these apps should you ever take the user-submitted scores or reviews seriously.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
I just got back from a week in the finger lakes region if NewYork where my wife and I visited 14 wineries and brought back 2 cases of wine (along with some cider and liquor). We've been casual wine drinkers for a while but it's amazing to get to try quality wine in tasting rooms several times a day off and on for a week.

If anyone has any questions ask away! We stayed on the west side of lake Cayuga and off the top of my head sheldrake point was the best winery we visited.

beefnchedda
Aug 16, 2004

Overwined posted:

Vivino is "snazzier" and there's an equivalent app whose name escapes me. But I prefer Cellartracker for its functionality. However, on none of these apps should you ever take the user-submitted scores or reviews seriously.

Delectable.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I've found my summer wine. Only 1,500円 per bottle which is good for Japan.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm looking for some new Chardonnay recommendations, because I've been trying to venture out of my very expensive Burgundian comfort zone, but I've largely been coming up short. The things I like are:

- Considerable acidity (full MLF is okay, but not if it leaves a flabby, low-acid wine in its wake)
- Some oak fermentation/again, but preferably either no or very little new oak
- Preferably cool or moderate climate

My current go-to for reasonably inexpensive is Marques de Casa Concha. I've had some great examples out of NZ as well, but the less expensive ones I've tried seem to be infatuated with full MLF when they don't have the acidity to back it up, which is a bit of a piss-off for me. The more expensive examples I've tried have been superb, but that defeats the whole point of the money-saving exercise. The Casa Concha has partial MLF, I'm given to understand, which is good because I really enjoy how the acidity balances the wine. What are some things I can reasonably try that will set me back less than the average white Burgundy?

Oh by the way, Kasumeat, I tried the Boutari Naoussa Grande Reserve after finding some nearby, and your recommendation was 100% brilliant on that. What a really impressive wine for not too much money!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

PT6A posted:

Chardonnay recommendations

Jean Bourdy Côte du Jura. http://sedimentarywines.com/france/producer-bourdy.html

Seems to be fairly well distributed going by Wine Searcher. https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/cave+jean+bourdy+blanc+cote+du+jura+france/1/canada

Fresh, cool, mineral, lemon, a bit of Burgundian mystery, not too much oak, value like woah. Have a bottle of his red too, haven't tasted it yet. Jura reds tend to be too thin for my liking, but I love the Chards. They can be either very fresh or in the flor-y, oxidized style. This is in the fresh style, not oxidized, but there's still some Jurassic funk in there.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ola posted:

Jean Bourdy Côte du Jura. http://sedimentarywines.com/france/producer-bourdy.html

Seems to be fairly well distributed going by Wine Searcher. https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/cave+jean+bourdy+blanc+cote+du+jura+france/1/canada

Fresh, cool, mineral, lemon, a bit of Burgundian mystery, not too much oak, value like woah. Have a bottle of his red too, haven't tasted it yet. Jura reds tend to be too thin for my liking, but I love the Chards. They can be either very fresh or in the flor-y, oxidized style. This is in the fresh style, not oxidized, but there's still some Jurassic funk in there.

Cool, I'm pretty sure I can get that because I seem to recall having one of his sparkling wines (which was good). Thanks!

Edit: I also love slightly oxidized whites like Tondonia Blanco, as well as fino sherry and manzanilla so this is exactly the advice I wanted about regions to look for.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 30, 2017

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Looking for good literature on specifically European whites.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Happy Hat posted:

Looking for good literature on specifically European whites.

https://www.amazon.com/Mein-Kampf-Adolf-Hitler-ebook/dp/B008QI6EHQ/

?

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002

PT6A posted:

I'm looking for some new Chardonnay recommendations, because I've been trying to venture out of my very expensive Burgundian comfort zone, but I've largely been coming up short. The things I like are:

- Considerable acidity (full MLF is okay, but not if it leaves a flabby, low-acid wine in its wake)
- Some oak fermentation/again, but preferably either no or very little new oak
- Preferably cool or moderate climate

My current go-to for reasonably inexpensive is Marques de Casa Concha. I've had some great examples out of NZ as well, but the less expensive ones I've tried seem to be infatuated with full MLF when they don't have the acidity to back it up, which is a bit of a piss-off for me. The more expensive examples I've tried have been superb, but that defeats the whole point of the money-saving exercise. The Casa Concha has partial MLF, I'm given to understand, which is good because I really enjoy how the acidity balances the wine. What are some things I can reasonably try that will set me back less than the average white Burgundy?

Oh by the way, Kasumeat, I tried the Boutari Naoussa Grande Reserve after finding some nearby, and your recommendation was 100% brilliant on that. What a really impressive wine for not too much money!

The best Burgundian style New World Chardonnay producer is Kumeu River in Auckland, NZ. Hands down. I've seen countless people guess it as 1er Cru white Burg tasting blind. Stuff is so good, and very reasonably priced.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Crimson posted:

The best Burgundian style New World Chardonnay producer is Kumeu River in Auckland, NZ. Hands down. I've seen countless people guess it as 1er Cru white Burg tasting blind. Stuff is so good, and very reasonably priced.

This is true but it's like 30 bucks in Japan. I trot it out on special occasions but too rich for my blood as a daily. I love drinking it though, great wine.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Crimson posted:

Disagree. Arcadian Sleepy Holllow Chardonnay is where it's at for me; the 2000 vintage especially has gotten lots of love blind. Wasn't that impressed with Kumeu River but maybe not enough age on them yet?

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Lioco make a great Chardonnay in California that's by no means a white burgundy ringer, but it's great wine without suffering from the flaws of overdone Cali chard from past years.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

I SHOULD GO AND GET FUCKED

Crimson posted:

If you have the chance to try the Prince Edward County bottling of Norman Hardie's Chardonnay from Ontario, I recommend it. Fully ripe at around 12%in most vintages, with more Puligny-esque reduction than you'll find literally anywhere in the New World , it beats Kumeu hands down (who I agree is the best new world chard producer outside if Canada).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Kasumeat posted:

If you have the chance to try the Prince Edward County bottling of Norman Hardie's Chardonnay from Ontario, I recommend it. Fully ripe at around 12%in most vintages, with more Puligny-esque reduction than you'll find literally anywhere in the New World , it beats Kumeu hands down (who I agree is the best new world chard producer outside if Canada).

It looks reasonably likely that I'll be able to find that nearby! The nearest store that has it listed is sadly in the middle of a snobby, hipsterish hellhole known as Kensington, but I might consider braving it for good wine. Thanks for the recommend, I'll track it down and let you know how it works out.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

I SHOULD GO AND GET FUCKED
His Niagara bottling is very good too, especially from 2015 onward, if not quite as exciting for me. A little more Meursault, less Puligny.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
T-minus two, maybe three weeks to harvest. Albarino and Grenache/Monastrell rose to kick things off. Time to start buying barrels!

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

idiotsavant posted:

T-minus two, maybe three weeks to harvest. Albarino and Grenache/Monastrell rose to kick things off. Time to start buying barrels!

Awesome! Tell us about how you feel about the fruit. What appellation(s) are you harvesting out of?

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Lodi, Santa Ynez, and maybe a little bit from the Foothills if I get lucky. Just checked out the Santa Ynez fruit last week; it's an awesome site and it looks pretty good. Grenache was like 30-40% through verasion? Lodi is a couple of weeks out. I had to acidify some of the Lodi stuff last year 'cause the pH was crazy high, so there goes all my natty wine cred. The wine is loving rad, though, probably the sluttiest wine I've made so far but more in the sense of "Holy poo poo this is so juicy and fresh let's drink three bottles and take all our clothes off" than "18% alcoholic blackberry jam in an oak jar." I guess I'll see where things go this year and if I can strike a balance with pick timing on the various components.

I just watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYkgeoNDvh4 and I guess I have to really think hard about using any "sustainable" vineyards any more, or at least using RoundUp grapes. Some of the stuff I get is bio/organic and some is sustainable, so we'll see. Hoping I can talk my farmer into using less or none (at least in areas that i'd pick); they're already converting more area to organic so it might be doable.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Generally speaking, what are some good types of wine to pair with spicy food? My wife is Thai so whenever we have dinner guests we'll usually make Thai food. I'm trying to get more sophisticated with my pairings for dinner than "we're cooking chicken or seafood, therefore get something white".

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

C-Euro posted:

Generally speaking, what are some good types of wine to pair with spicy food? My wife is Thai so whenever we have dinner guests we'll usually make Thai food. I'm trying to get more sophisticated with my pairings for dinner than "we're cooking chicken or seafood, therefore get something white".

Riesling with a bit of residual sugar is the classic asian food match, but it might not nail Thai, particularly real deal home cooked as that can be so many things. Worth a try though. My best wine match tip: When in doubt, champagne.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I love a kabinett with many Thai dishes, and think that it can be really great with something like pad prik khing or pad krapow. But if you're more on the sticky rice with grilled pork and nam jim jaew side of things, it gets challenging - that's so much spice, with the complex aromatics of woody herbs and the spike of lime - an awfully hard thing to pair. Sangria can be a good option, or even beer. In general I'd say stick to aromatic whites with a good acid backbone - something aromatic and low acid like much Californian viognier can be just blown out and made even more perfumey by the ample sourness in the food.

Being honest, as someone who drinks wine with almost every dinner, I have lager with most South East Asian food.

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002
You should either go crisp lager or off-dry wine with Thai food. The more spice the sweeter you can go. If the heat is really dialed up I'll order Auslese Riesling. For a more aromatic dish, try to go with an older example that's starting to develop some tertiary flavors beyond the sweet apricot/peach.

I recently attempted the verbal theory portion of the CMS master exam again, I thought you guys might be interested in some sample questions. I didn't pass, but did much better than I did 2 years ago, and am positive I can crush it next year with a more measured out studying schedule. I opened a restaurant late last year and hardly had the time needed to dedicate to studying, but no excuses for next year. Here are a few I remember:

- During the grape growing season, when does "weeping" take place?

- What grape is known as the Dog Strangler?

- Name a year in the last 2 decades in which Chateau d'Yquem didn't produce a wine? Name another classified growth Sauternes producer who did not produce that year.

- What does Tokubetsu mean on a sake label? Genshu?

- At what point during distillation is London Dry Gin aromatized?

- What is predominant grape in the village of Dernau? Domdechaney?

- What is the total aging time for Rioja Reserva Blanco? How much of that time must be in cask?

- What is the most important grape growing area in the Valle de Uco?

- In beer production, what is krausening? Lagering?

- Name the classification and village of the following vineyards - Les Amoureuses, La Grand Rue.

- Name all the winegrowing regions of British Columbia.

- What is the premier grape growing area in Rutherford? Where specifically is that feature located? (I thought this question was poorly worded/handled)

- What was the last vintage produced by Gentaz-Dervieux?

- Who discovered the potential for wines made from harvesting noble rotted grapes in 1775?

Some I think are particularly easy (the Burgundy vineyards), the Rutherford question I thought was stupid because I answered "the western part of the AVA" to the second part, when they specifically wanted me to say "between the mountains and the valley." I mean yeah I guess, but just asking me "where" and not "between which geographical features" is a bit vague. I knew the answer and didn't give it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Didn't google, didn't read your last paragraph, these are the only ones I could have a within-a-barndoor shot at.

Crimson posted:

- Name a year in the last 2 decades in which Chateau d'Yquem didn't produce a wine? Name another classified growth Sauternes producer who did not produce that year.
This is pretty recent, I think it's 2012. I think Suduiraut also declassified.

Crimson posted:

- What is the total aging time for Rioja Reserva Blanco? How much of that time must be in cask?

No idea, but if the question is "put some integers in", you can just have a go. 7 and 5.

Crimson posted:

- In beer production, what is ... Lagering?

Think I can cheat this one by speaking a Germanic language, lager means a warehouse, it means storing or ageing. For that beer, in a quite cold Czech cellar.

Crimson posted:

- Name the classification and village of the following vineyards - Les Amoureuses, La Grand Rue.

Dunno the big street, but Les Am is..... gently caress I don't really know, I just know there's a romantic bench on the road above it. Nuits-Saint-Georges!

Crimson posted:

- Who discovered the potential for wines made from harvesting noble rotted grapes in 1775?

Isn't this a half myth? Some duke or whatever, German nobleman who said "don't harvest until I say harvest", then didn't return in time due to war or something, grapes rotted and it turned out ok. Or is it a trick question, is the answer the Hungarians and Tokaji?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Not too shabby, very happy about Yquem.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Lagering is specifically using bottom-fermenting yeasts but I can't remember the mechanics. Done at cold temps is all.

Weeping happens in the spring after pruning, when the vines come out of
dormancy and the sap starts pushing

I want to say dog strangler is vinho verde but I think that's wrong. One of the Portuguese whites; something cao?

Oh and iirc krausening is when the yeast population blasts off and the beer fermentation foams up like crazy

Don't think I'll be getting my certs on anythig any time soon ;x

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Ola posted:

Riesling with a bit of residual sugar is the classic asian food match, but it might not nail Thai, particularly real deal home cooked as that can be so many things. Worth a try though. My best wine match tip: When in doubt, champagne.

I found a Riesling a while back that my wife was absolutely in love with but is only carried in the one store where I first got it, so it might be time to visit them again. We do have a random bottle of champagne lying around as well.

pork never goes bad posted:

I love a kabinett with many Thai dishes, and think that it can be really great with something like pad prik khing or pad krapow. But if you're more on the sticky rice with grilled pork and nam jim jaew side of things, it gets challenging - that's so much spice, with the complex aromatics of woody herbs and the spike of lime - an awfully hard thing to pair. Sangria can be a good option, or even beer. In general I'd say stick to aromatic whites with a good acid backbone - something aromatic and low acid like much Californian viognier can be just blown out and made even more perfumey by the ample sourness in the food.

Being honest, as someone who drinks wine with almost every dinner, I have lager with most South East Asian food.

Honestly I would loving love to just do fried pork & sticky rice with a tall glass of Singha (with ice cubes) but we're going with chicken spring rolls and a Malaysian (so still spicy) veggie curry instead. Gotta pretend to be a little classy, plus the couple we're having over both have an actual gluten allergy so beer doesn't fly.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Get everyone hosed up on makkoli! Sweet Korean rice beer; it's rad and you can screw around with cultural drinking traditions that are pretty fun. Some might be made with wheat, tho, so check labels?

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002

Ola posted:

Answers

Yep on 2012 Sauternes. Rioja Reserva Blanco must undergo 2 years of total aging, 6 months in cask. Confusingly, the requirements are exactly the same for Rioja Blanco Crianza. Right on about lagering. Les Amoureuses is a premier cru in Chambolle-Musigny. La Grand Rue is grand cru in Vosne-Romanée, monopole of Lamarche. As far as the late harvest German Riesling thing, it's well accepted that it happened at Schloss Johannisberg. Whether it's folklore akin to all the bullshit that's attributed to Dom Perignon, I'm not sure.

What Ola said about lagering. A lager is absolutely made the way you describe, but the process of "lagering" is the cold storage period. You're so close on the dog strangler. That's Esgana Cão, better known as the Madeira grape Sercial. Krausening is taking a vigorously fermenting lager and adding some of that wort to a finished lager, which helps clean up diacetyl and acetaldehye quickly, and gives better carbonation.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Anyone have recommendations for Berlin wine bars by chance? Have a couple of days off in Europe and decided to head out to Germany since I've yet to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicDefiance
Jan 30, 2005

How did you stray so far to end up here?

Furious Lobster posted:

Anyone have recommendations for Berlin wine bars by chance? Have a couple of days off in Europe and decided to head out to Germany since I've yet to go.

I was a pretty big fan of Wild Things. It's run by the same people who own Industry Standard, which is a) just around the corner, and b) has some pretty banging food and a compact but great wine list in its own right (at least, it did when I was there 12 months ago).