Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Settings has a bunch of stuff in places that don't quite make sense because they seem reluctant to add or modify the top level categories. System seems to be a catch-all in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

People keep saying that despite Creators adding three more top level categories.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
News to me, haven't gotten Creator's yet. Probably should be very soon though since they started rolling it out for deferred users.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I'd still argue System is a bit too wide as a category. You get stuff like display options, notifications, power and storage stuff under one banner. Assuming they'll eventually get around to moving what's left of the control panel settings over, it'll just get worse if they don't split some of those off to their own sections. It has definitely gotten better over time, though.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Jethz posted:

The creators update started giving me really bad stutter in BF1.
I disabled the game mode and I installed the latest nvidia drivers.
I am running f.lux, so maybe I need to disable the night light thing in windows itself?

I had the exact same problem (well, sans F.lux) and I think I've fixed it, as the game is running super smooth again whereas before I was getting that stupid FPS notification and at times the game would be unplayable. I still get the occasional drop on Amiens, but its barely noticeable and that seems to be the most FPS intensive map.

I cannot say for certain what fixed the problem, however.

I'm running an i5 3550, 16 gigs of RAM and a Geforce 970 GTX. Yeah, my i5 is likely a bottleneck (task manager says BF is only using 41%, so IDK.) but the game was running fine on a mix of high/ultra prior to the Creators Update.

I did the following:
- Turned off motion blur (not sure I was running this before or the Nvidia Experience turned it back on)

- Created a user.cfg with the following lines:
gametime.maxvariablefps 60
RenderDevice.RenderAheadLimit 2
GstRender.Thread.MaxProcessorCount 4 <- Possibly pointless, i5 doesn't have hyperthreading

- Make sure recording overlay for Nvidia is OFF, same goes for Windows recording

- For the heck of it, I also lowered the scale rendering to 92% but I may bump back to 100%.

To be honest, its either the motion blur or the user.cfg that fixed the problem, I think.

A glance at the BF1 forums shows that BF1 does not like the CU update, for some reason.

EDIT: Oh, I also set BF1 to high priority in Task Manager.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 9, 2017

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Is Windows Defender + some alti-malware (was malwarebytes the recommended one?) enough to keep an user with common sense relatively safe? (uBlock and that hosts file as well)

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Is there a way to force uninstall all the unneccessary poo poo office 365 forces on you? Like skype for business?

quote:

IMPORTANT: If you are using Office 365 Skype for Business, you can't delete it from your computer without also uninstalling the rest of the Office suite. This because it's integrated with the other Office apps. The following instructions are for customers who have standalone versions of Skype for Business.

:argh:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

If you're willing to get your CJ on. (XML generator for the command-line installer)

Hope you remembered your channel (it's in the Account window in any Office app).

Yeah it's bullshit.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Dunno if this is the right thread, but anybody else getting constantly bombarded by 1 min long unskippable adblock-immune Grammarly ads on Youtube?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Palladium posted:

Dunno if this is the right thread, but anybody else getting constantly bombarded by 1 min long unskippable adblock-immune Grammarly ads on Youtube?

Link me to one that gave you that and I'll try it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Ghostlight posted:

People keep saying that despite Creators adding three more top level categories.

There are only two more, one of which is 'Gaming' which I've never had cause to open. The other is apps which is now split out from System (thankfully)

I'm not sure why stuff like Tablet Mode and Multi-tasking gets dumped into System which seemingly related stuff like Taskbar and Start goes in Personalisation

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

There's also Mixed Reality, which is hidden if your computer isn't set up for it.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Link me to one that gave you that and I'll try it.

Anything with 100K+ views.

Apparently the same ads can be skipped asap once I disable uBlock origin...It's like Google's passive-aggressive way of saying gently caress you and your adblock

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Palladium posted:

Apparently the same ads can be skipped asap once I disable uBlock origin...It's like Google's passive-aggressive way of saying gently caress you and your adblock

Nope. Can't reproduce it with Chrome or FF. Made sure to turn off all script blocking too.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

What the poo poo is this poo poo.

https://redmondmag.com/articles/2017/08/10/windows-10-pro-for-workstations-edition.aspx

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Enterprise -> 10 Pro Workstation

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Anybody know of a fix to enable ID3 v2.4 tag editing/handling that doesn't rely on third-party software? Or has MS just not implemented this yet? Trying to edit any fields of those kinds of files in Explorer (properly naming podcasts, mainly) ends with them going blank. It won't even let me hit the "Apply" button, but if I hit "OK" then it just deletes whatever was in those fields that I tried to change. In Mp3tag, the ones I tried changing through Explorer are coming up with "!BAD ID3v2," so I'm guessing Windows just doesn't like ID3 v2.4.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Grog posted:

Anybody know of a fix to enable ID3 v2.4 tag editing/handling that doesn't rely on third-party software? Or has MS just not implemented this yet? Trying to edit any fields of those kinds of files in Explorer (properly naming podcasts, mainly) ends with them going blank. It won't even let me hit the "Apply" button, but if I hit "OK" then it just deletes whatever was in those fields that I tried to change. In Mp3tag, the ones I tried changing through Explorer are coming up with "!BAD ID3v2," so I'm guessing Windows just doesn't like ID3 v2.4.
Wikipedia says ID3 2.4 support was added to Explorer (and only Explorer) in the Creators Update. If you're on that already then it apparently isn't working properly and you're stuck with third party software.

2.3 has forever been the de facto standard for compatibility.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Yeah, I'm on 1703/15063.540 so I guess it's just broken. It looks like only the v2.4 tags can't be edited, so I guess I can just use something like Mp3tag to edit or convert them all to v2.3. The only "fixes" I've seen anyone mention are using the AudioShell extension, or clean installing Windows which I'm not keen to do.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

redeyes posted:

Enterprise -> 10 Pro Workstation

Enterprise is about long term support, not features. I'd expect to see an Enterprise for Workstations appear if there is enough crossover demand, but the people who need the enhanced functionality of Pro Workstation also tend to be bleeding edge types who are okay with upgrading frequently so the demand may never materialize.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Palladium posted:

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure this is because adblock is blocking the elements that would allow you to skip the ad, as per usual, but failing to block the ad itself. Probably because it's doing something new and consequently the blocker doesn't know what to do about it.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Amppelix posted:

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure this is because adblock is blocking the elements that would allow you to skip the ad, as per usual, but failing to block the ad itself. Probably because it's doing something new and consequently the blocker doesn't know what to do about it.

My uBlock Origin seems to work fine today on Youtube when enabled on both Chrome and Edge, I guess the devs have updated the code or something.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

EoRaptor posted:

Enterprise is about long term support, not features. I'd expect to see an Enterprise for Workstations appear if there is enough crossover demand, but the people who need the enhanced functionality of Pro Workstation also tend to be bleeding edge types who are okay with upgrading frequently so the demand may never materialize.

Actually no. I see this as a product for people that don't want their loving workstation rebooting at the whim of Microsoft. Pro and Enterprise are nearly the same but Enterprise allows you to control updates and telemetry. I think it also supports more processors/cores and more total memory. There is no chance this is for bleeding edge types unless you mean people with ungodly powerful workstations (which are not upgraded much by the way).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
You know what bugs me a drat lot lately? The goddamn Photos UWP app not decoding JPEGs at full resolution. I always need to zoom in (--edit: I run the app in windowed mode) and move it, for it to decode and display the full resolution. I was always wondering why Lightroom output was that lovely when reviewing exported pictures with the drat app. What the gently caress is Microsoft thinking? We're talking files with 2048px on the longest edge with ~1MB file size, not some lossless 8K pictures or whatever.

Also, UWP text boxes are hilarious. If you try to edit a phrase that ends with a period, i.e. set the cursor to the end of the sentence and hit space, it inserts a whitespace and moves the period behind it. I'm currently fighting the drat feedback app's detail field.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 14, 2017

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

You know what bugs me a drat lot lately? The goddamn Photos UWP app not decoding JPEGs at full resolution. I always need to zoom in (--edit: I run the app in windowed mode) and move it, for it to decode and display the full resolution. I was always wondering why Lightroom output was that lovely when reviewing exported pictures with the drat app. What the gently caress is Microsoft thinking? We're talking files with 2048px on the longest edge with ~1MB file size, not some lossless 8K pictures or whatever.

Also, UWP text boxes are hilarious. If you try to edit a phrase that ends with a period, i.e. set the cursor to the end of the sentence and hit space, it inserts a whitespace and moves the period behind it. I'm currently fighting the drat feedback app's detail field.

Might I recommend Windows Photo Viewer, or is that doing the same thing for you?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I guess I have to download it somewhere. I had it a while back, but a system reset made it disappear. Figured to just use the default app. I didn't notice so much until I've started doing photography again.

I guess my gripe is more that people I'm doing photography for, at least those that run Windows 10, might see lovely quality where there's actually none. From how it looks to me, if the image is larger than the viewing area of Photos, it loads it at half resolution (maybe even quarter resolution, depending on the size disparity), and then zooms to fit.

Snow Fire
Oct 29, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

I guess I have to download it somewhere. I had it a while back, but a system reset made it disappear. Figured to just use the default app. I didn't notice so much until I've started doing photography again.

I guess my gripe is more that people I'm doing photography for, at least those that run Windows 10, might see lovely quality where there's actually none. From how it looks to me, if the image is larger than the viewing area of Photos, it loads it at half resolution (maybe even quarter resolution, depending on the size disparity), and then zooms to fit.

Have you tried a program called Basic Photo Viewer that's in the Windows Store, I don't know if it will have the same issue, but I use it as my default image viewer as it works in ways I prefer~

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
I've been using xnview at work. I work with logos that come my way as transparent pngs quite frequently, and some dumbass at Microsoft thought that using black as the background for transparent images was a good idea.

e: I've also been using Adobe Bridge a lot more than I used to.

Phoenixan fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Aug 14, 2017

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

astral posted:

Might I recommend Windows Photo Viewer, or is that doing the same thing for you?

Does Windows 10 randomly reset file type associations to the Metro app too if you manually assign them to the desktop photo viewer?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

peak debt posted:

Does Windows 10 randomly reset file type associations

lol what do you think?

I had managed to beat it into submission for pdfs through a bunch of regedits, but the creators update reset that and now the previous method isn't working.

the win 10 default apps settings panel might as well be a picture of a giant middle finger.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Mine's behaving now, I think there were 3 times where previous updates changed file associations.

I think MS might have actually got the message people really hated it resetting the associations. Hopefully.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Win10 has gotten better about keeping your poo poo the way you set it up with each major version. It's still far from perfect, but the google doc I made with "steps to do after every major upgrade" has gone from around 80 lines to 15.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

xamphear posted:

Win10 has gotten better about keeping your poo poo the way you set it up with each major version. It's still far from perfect, but the google doc I made with "steps to do after every major upgrade" has gone from around 80 lines to 15.

windows 10: beta tested.. in the future.

The Dreamer
Oct 15, 2013

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Not sure if this is the right place for this but does anyone know if there is an alternative to HazeOver for MacOS but for Windows 10? I've tried googling but all I get is info on HazeOver.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

The Dreamer posted:

Not sure if this is the right place for this but does anyone know if there is an alternative to HazeOver for MacOS but for Windows 10? I've tried googling but all I get is info on HazeOver.

The only one alternativeto.net pointed at is Turn Off the Lights (not the browser add-on), which looks to be about the same kind of thing... with an ugly pricing structure, urgh.

The Dreamer
Oct 15, 2013

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

dont be mean to me posted:

The only one alternativeto.net pointed at is Turn Off the Lights (not the browser add-on), which looks to be about the same kind of thing... with an ugly pricing structure, urgh.

Thanks. Didn't notice that you're actually able to choose your platform on alternative.to. Yeah $25 is insane. HazeOver was only $5.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

It's for people who basically run a server on their desk for personal work but don't want to run the full server OS. Its a niche product, doesn't really matter for most people. You don't care about rDMA.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

What now? People insist it works in regular Pro edition. I eventually want RDMA to work, whenever Samba finally gets to it.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Going by the MS docs rDMA has been server-only and Pro for Workstations is the only desktop SKU getting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
The official steps to getting the linux subsystem is so confusing. Could someone make it real simple and let me know what exactly needs to be done? I think I'm almost there, I just need to actually get the insider preview update, but it keeps failing every time I've tried over the last few days so I guess I just have to wait for windows to stop being poo poo (forever?)