Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

If anyone wants a deal and doesn't mind a slightly worn ABS spacebar, I want to sell:

• this (really great TKL Das with metal construction and Greetech Brown switches -- I simply don't like browns, but this is the best constructed mechanical keyboard I've owned ... I've even used the ruler attached underneath that's designed as a slight lift)
  • this (fantastic TKL with Cherry Clears and the "vintage" caps) -- this is great to me but I have other keyboards coming with Clears and lighting and poo poo, I just don't need it. This is mechanically my perfect keyboard though.)
  • and I suppose this (I originally bought this as something to compliment my office MBP but it turned out to be my workhorse keyboard at a different office. Mine is the white version. I love it, but I'm getting a Pok3r and don't need to keep this around. The original caps are all PBT and great. It came with some colour accents for the modfiers too.)

I'm willing to ship, but these would be super cheap to anyone in Toronto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
My old K65 is still in service, just not with me. My k70 has been strong for however long they’ve been out. I think you’ll get tired of it before it breaks (isn’t that true of most mechanicals?)

DirtyCheeseburgers
Apr 15, 2003

College Slice

teethgrinder posted:

I live in Toronto and am PMing you!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dogen posted:

My old K65 is still in service, just not with me. My k70 has been strong for however long they’ve been out. I think you’ll get tired of it before it breaks (isn’t that true of most mechanicals?)

I killed the Razer, but they're not known for great build quality and again, I'm a klutz.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Razer makes awful keyboards.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

My black widow from 2008 survived me spilling milk all over it and only recently have the switch springs started to not bounce back causing letters to get doubled

Their mice, though, were really bad

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

My black widow from 2008 survived me spilling milk all over it and only recently have the switch springs started to not bounce back causing letters to get doubled

Their mice, though, were really bad

Boomslang 4 lyfe man!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Razer makes awful keyboards eveything.

ftfy. The Razer Headphones and Xbox controllers I bought died within months of purchase. Only their Hydra motion controller lasted any time at all, and its only redeeming factor was that I sold it someone for more money than I bought it for.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

teethgrinder posted:

If anyone wants a deal and doesn't mind a slightly worn ABS spacebar, I want to sell:

Pm'd!

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCwsIFnzBrc

I uploaded a typing test of the 30g Realforce 10th Anniversary I had. This was on SoundCloud which is going to explode soon, so I wanted to preserve it. I also have one of the Type-S in there somewhere but there are probably better videos to reference since it's a way more common keyboard.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
Topre switches make the most relaxing sound.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

My work board is a Novatouch with hyper sphere rings and a set of Maxkey's SA Ninja. Thock thock thock

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
Is there anywhere still stocking the FC660C which doesn't have ridiculous shipping? I want to get one for around the $200-220 mark if possible, just to try.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

Megalixir posted:

Is there anywhere still stocking the FC660C which doesn't have ridiculous shipping? I want to get one for around the $200-220 mark if possible, just to try.

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1495 ?
https://www.amazon.com/Leopold-66-key-Electrostatic-Capacitive-Keyboard/dp/B00EI52VCS

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arJnNM5RAMM

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Who has to die for me to get one of these?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Holy poo poo it's like rain against a window

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Thanks but neither of these ship internationally at sane prices.

Who has to die for me to get one of these?

The closest I can think of is buying a preassembled Tada68 on Aliexpress with Zealios switches in 78g, it will run you $145 for a standard board or $215 with an aluminum one. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Tad...sAbTest=ae803_1

I have a Tada and they're great.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Megalixir posted:

Thanks but neither of these ship internationally at sane prices.

The closest I can think of is buying a preassembled Tada68 on Aliexpress with Zealios switches in 78g, it will run you $145 for a standard board or $215 with an aluminum one. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Tad...sAbTest=ae803_1

I have a Tada and they're great.

oh you're in new zealand. that's rough. you could try taobao.com but it may be hard to find a reputable seller.

superbuy is a proxy service which is usually the easist way to order from sites like taobao.

I found this link: https://www.superbuy.com/en/page/buy/?url=%2F%2Fitem.jd.com%2F11950222811.html

The site (jd.com) is basically like taobao. This appears to be leopold's official online store in the area.

this is a direct link to their listing

https://item.jd.com/11950222812.html

price is $225 USD

I've never used them or really heard of them but it's all I could find.

Nondescript Van fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 14, 2017

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Megalixir posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCwsIFnzBrc

I uploaded a typing test of the 30g Realforce 10th Anniversary I had. This was on SoundCloud which is going to explode soon, so I wanted to preserve it. I also have one of the Type-S in there somewhere but there are probably better videos to reference since it's a way more common keyboard.

God drat I need me some cup rubber

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
For people who want a nice PBT set for a standard layout board without spending heaps of money and then waiting 30 years for them, the Tai-Hao purple/grey sets might be worth a look. There's a few nice options, the black on black mods actually look pretty great.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/tai-hao-purple-pbt-doubleshot-keycap-set

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

The Deadly Hume posted:

For people who want a nice PBT set for a standard layout board without spending heaps of money and then waiting 30 years for them, the Tai-Hao purple/grey sets might be worth a look. There's a few nice options, the black on black mods actually look pretty great.

These are the caps I'm currently using and they've been quite nice.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Not bad for my first group buy.

XD84/EEPW84 PCB, bent steel plate, acrylic diffuser, Gateron Brown switches and some Aliexpress PBT keycaps.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 14, 2017

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Nice, I've been really liking the 75% layout lately. So much so that I don't know if I'll be going back to a TKL by the time my K-Type arrives, lol.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Massdrops ergodox infinity was supposed to ship five days ago, no updates, and support will only give a form letter, and an offer to cancel :argh:

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

blugu64 posted:

Massdrops ergodox infinity was supposed to ship five days ago, no updates, and support will only give a form letter, and an offer to cancel :argh:

My Planck was supposed to ship at the end of June ;_;

frailimbnursry
Feb 14, 2004
my roommate touches me
I'm currently in the market for my first mechanical keyboard. I've spent more time than I care to admit trying to narrow it down to the following:

MK Fission (PBT keycaps / Brown Cherry MX)
Ducky Shine 6 (PBT keycaps / Brown Cherry MX)

Is the difference between build and feel negligible enough that it comes down to whether or not I would like RGB key lighting? Is there any tangible benefit to RGB lighting other than to match the lighting on my gaming mouse, my gaming case/fans, and my gaming GPU? I'm leaning toward the MK Fission as I think I would prefer simple white lighting.

I would ideally replace the keycaps at some point down the road with some of the sets that have been posted here but it looks as though both boards would allow me to do that very easily.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

frailimbnursry posted:

I'm currently in the market for my first mechanical keyboard. I've spent more time than I care to admit trying to narrow it down to the following:

MK Fission (PBT keycaps / Brown Cherry MX)
Ducky Shine 6 (PBT keycaps / Brown Cherry MX)

Is the difference between build and feel negligible enough that it comes down to whether or not I would like RGB key lighting? Is there any tangible benefit to RGB lighting other than to match the lighting on my gaming mouse, my gaming case/fans, and my gaming GPU? I'm leaning toward the MK Fission as I think I would prefer simple white lighting.

I would ideally replace the keycaps at some point down the road with some of the sets that have been posted here but it looks as though both boards would allow me to do that very easily.

rgb is only for show, white lighting is really nice for when it's dark in your room and you're too lazy to go turn the light on

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

The Deadly Hume posted:

Bugger it, no ISO :smith:

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
Realistically, it shouldn't be that hard to ultra nerd out and make your own keyboard from the ground up right? I would be mostly worried about getting the frame and the mechanical parts. In terms of the pcb I could easily draw it up and hand-etch a prototype and get it manufactured at a later date. Does anyone have a clue how much it would cost to get the mech supplies? Is it even worth it to nerd out as an EE or should I just say gently caress it and buy a mechanical keyboard and save myself the trouble. I don't have one yet and I'm thinking of getting one in the near future.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Knowlue posted:

Realistically, it shouldn't be that hard to ultra nerd out and make your own keyboard from the ground up right? I would be mostly worried about getting the frame and the mechanical parts. In terms of the pcb I could easily draw it up and hand-etch a prototype and get it manufactured at a later date. Does anyone have a clue how much it would cost to get the mech supplies? Is it even worth it to nerd out as an EE or should I just say gently caress it and buy a mechanical keyboard and save myself the trouble. I don't have one yet and I'm thinking of getting one in the near future.

It would be a fun project, when I looked into doing the same the switches alone would have been about $100 for 104 clear switches, and the only reason i didnt do it is because a PCB for me would have been around 114$

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

It would be a fun project, when I looked into doing the same the switches alone would have been about $100 for 104 clear switches, and the only reason i didnt do it is because a PCB for me would have been around 114$

Jesus christ. How many layers and how big is the board? And where are you from? I've ordered a lot of boards over the past few years and a full 100 sq inch 2 layer panel is about 115

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Knowlue posted:

Jesus christ. How many layers and how big is the board? And where are you from? I've ordered a lot of boards over the past few years and a full 100 sq inch 2 layer panel is about 115
idk, i live in the us

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/zealpc-r2-zeal60-rgb-led-pcb

With the cost of switches i think the manufacturers must get some wicked deals on the PCB

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

idk, i live in the us

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/zealpc-r2-zeal60-rgb-led-pcb

With the cost of switches i think the manufacturers must get some wicked deals on the PCB

Yeah ok that makes sense. The board is prefab and populated. It's not terrible in cost I guess. I usually end up paying for about 5 per square inch for two layers. I'd have to do more research in terms of the parts needed but the passive components cost is peanuts, and the controller shouldn't be more than 20. Not a terrible deal I guess all in all but I'm either going to do everything myself or buy an entire keyboard already made. I'd have to do more than a cursory research on my phone before I proceed

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

Knowlue posted:

I think the biggest hurdle would be sourcing the materials for your case/frame and if you need to do any CNC work done. If you're handcrafting it, then it should be pretty cheap, just takes up a whole lot of time.

You don't need a PCB since you can hand wire it and use a teensy board. As for switches, they're relatively cheap at about $0.30 a switch and you have a whole lot of choices out there based on your preferences. (Whereas with prebuilds, they mostly use Cherry switches, which are pretty meh outside of Clears and has fallen out of favour with most enthusiasts) The exception are Zealios switches which can run you at about $0.75 to a dollar per switch.

It's a pretty good project to build one from scratch, but there's also a lot of available kits and parts out there that saves you a lot of time and trouble. It's not a full build from the ground up, (you're essentially just screwing things and soldering things together) but can still be a pretty fun project.

EDIT: Also, the cost of the Zeal60 is kind of a bad example. The reason why it's that expensive is due to ZealPC charging that much due to the board being fully programmable, RGB and I believe locally sourced? Not too sure on that. A non-RGB but programmable 60% PCB from China like the Satan GH60 is about $30.

Honestly, the major money sinkhole in this drat hobby is keycaps.

Constellation I fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 16, 2017

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

Constellation I posted:

I think the biggest hurdle would be sourcing the materials for your case/frame and if you need to do any CNC work done. If you're handcrafting it, then it should be pretty cheap, just takes up a whole lot of time.

You don't need a PCB since you can hand wire it and use a teensy board. As for switches, they're relatively cheap at about $0.30 a switch and you have a whole lot of choices out there based on your preferences. (Whereas with prebuilds, they mostly use Cherry switches, which are pretty meh outside of Clears and has fallen out of favour with most enthusiasts) The exception are Zealios switches which can run you at about $0.75 to a dollar per switch.

It's a pretty good project to build one from scratch, but there's also a lot of available kits and parts out there that saves you a lot of time and trouble. It's not a full build from the ground up, (you're essentially just screwing things and soldering things together) but can still be a pretty fun project.

EDIT: Also, the cost of the Zeal60 is kind of a bad example. The reason why it's that expensive is due to ZealPC charging that much due to the board being fully programmable, RGB and I believe locally sourced? Not too sure on that. A non-RGB but programmable 60% PCB from China like the Satan GH60 is about $30.

Honestly, the major money sinkhole in this drat hobby is keycaps.

Yeah agreed. Half the time pcb is overdoing it. But frankly I would be making a mk from scratch for the satisfaction of designing and populating another board. Wiring and everything else is a chore for me. The electrical engineer in me is too much of a nerd to not make a board. That being said I'll have to look if I want to go through with it given time and effort or if I prefer to buy a good one. In any case I could potentially have access to a cnc so I'm not too worried there. I'll keep the thread posted

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Soooooooooo... I'm ending up with no usable mech keyboards after selling a couple here (though the Das with Greetech Browns is still up for grabs) and waiting at least a month for a new one from Massdrop.

Brother lent me a Pok3r in the meantime ... he has more keyboards than devices hah. Put on some laser-etched PBT caps. I quite like the look!

Just wanted to say, the Poker 3 isn't exactly the huge upgrade over the 2 that I assumed it would be. The main improvements are ... heavier, three layers of programmability + 31 keys per macro.

But it's just not as elegant as the 2. On the 2 you have the default Fn commands layer, and activate macros with the Pn button + selected keystroke. On the 3 you have to programme macros on a custom selectable layer to Fn + key, so you lose the default Fn functionality. This is kind of a pain in the rear end as many/most are pretty necessary, i.e. F1-F12 ... home/end/cursors, etc.

As well the Poker 2 mapped cursors to WASD which is far more intuitive to me and easier to reach than the 3 putting them on IJKL. Stuff like home/end is more logical on the 2 to me as well.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Thinking of canceling my ergodox order and getting a refurb advantage2 for $40 more. Good idea/bad idea? I want layers, programmability, and comfort. The more poo poo I can stick on an alternate layer and hit one button for the better.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

blugu64 posted:

Thinking of canceling my ergodox order and getting a refurb advantage2 for $40 more. Good idea/bad idea? I want layers, programmability, and comfort. The more poo poo I can stick on an alternate layer and hit one button for the better.

https://mehkee.com/collections/featured-home-page/products/lets-split-acrylic-cases-kits?variant=46981199311 ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Since I work with a lot of EEs and embedded dudes they are all looking at building their own keyboard and holy poo poo is it tempting

There's no way I can justify spending $215 on a pcb + 78g zelios + a case

Why did I start reading this dang thread