Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

My understanding of the situation (from watching a bunch of Law & Order) is that rent control would stay if you were related to the person who originally lived there when the price was fixed. So you can't just move in to a rent controlled apartment, you have to have some kind of "in."

OTOH, on Friends I seem to recall Monica and Rachael having to be shady about something to do with their apartment since it was Monica's grandmother's?

e: maybe it wasn't her actual grandmother and that was what they were being shady about?

ReidRansom has a new favorite as of 23:32 on Aug 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

ReidRansom posted:

OTOH, on Friends I seem to recall Monica and Rachael having to be shady about something to do with their apartment since it was Monica's grandmother's?

e: maybe it wasn't her actual grandmother and that was what they were being shady about?

It was her real grandma because they found her stash of homegrown Polaroids.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Her grandmother owned the apartment but didn't even live in New York, so I think they didn't actually pay rent on it?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
'Because of rent control, it was a frigging steal'
Chandler, last episode.

Should I be proud that I didn't have to look that up?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wkvVs91TUI

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I think it's pretty standard that every sitcom/movie character lives an apartment they can't afford unless it being lovely or glamorous is central to the character. Same with it being unkempt. Otherwise, every apartment is always immaculate.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
That's kind of why Roseanne had aged decently, the family was flawed and their house wasn't crazy glamorous

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

spog posted:

'Because of rent control, it was a frigging steal'
Chandler, last episode.

Should I be proud that I didn't have to look that up?

That quote has been running through my head since people started talking about rent control.

I seem to recall that the threat of eviction was because Monica was illegally subletting the apartment to Rachel or something?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

54 40 or gently caress posted:

That's kind of why Roseanne had aged decently, the family was flawed and their house wasn't crazy glamorous

True, but again, the apartment/house is only ever "normal" or "lovely" when it's central to the character. Not really on topic though so sorry.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Dragonstoned posted:

That quote has been running through my head since people started talking about rent control.

I seem to recall that the threat of eviction was because Monica was illegally subletting the apartment to Rachel or something?

The Apartment where Monica stays is actually rented in the name of her Grandmother. Monica is illegally subletting it from her since she moved to Florida.

In Season 4 (The One with The Ballroom Dancing), Mr. Treeger threatens Joey that he will get Monica and Rachel evicted as Monica is illegally subletting her already illegally sublet apartment to Rachel.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Has anybody mentioned the "classic" gone with the wind bit on the Carol Burnett show?

it uh

hmm

It aged exceptionally poorly.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

stone cold posted:

Has anybody mentioned the "classic" gone with the wind bit on the Carol Burnett show?

it uh

hmm

No it didn't.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

stone cold posted:

it uh

hmm

I don't see how it's aged exceptionally poorly. It's quite 1970s, but still has some pretty decent bits. Even Vicki Lawrence playing Hattie McDaniel isn't anywhere near as bad as it could be.

If you want aged poorly, though: Mama's Family.

It was never a classic, but did have some decent stuff in its first run, when Carol Burnett, Betty White, Harvey Korman and Rue McClanahan were regulars. It was canceled, then popped up again with only McClanahan making an appearance to transition to the new cast members. In the old episodes, Thelma was more hateful and occasionally wrong. Thelma was a curmudgeon in the newer episodes, but always right.

(Speaking of The Carol Burnett Show, if you've never heard Tim Conway's elephant story, you should.)

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I don't see how it's aged exceptionally poorly. It's quite 1970s, but still has some pretty decent bits. Even Vicki Lawrence playing Hattie McDaniel isn't anywhere near as bad as it could be.

It was never a classic, but did have some decent stuff in its first run, when Carol Burnett, Betty White, Harvey Korman and Rue McClanahan were regulars. It was canceled, then popped up again with only McClanahan making an appearance to transition to the new cast members. In the old episodes, Thelma was more hateful and occasionally wrong. Thelma was a curmudgeon in the newer episodes, but always right.

(Speaking of The Carol Burnett Show, if you've never heard Tim Conway's elephant story, you should.)

it's pretty freaking racist

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

muscles like this! posted:

My understanding of the situation (from watching a bunch of Law & Order) is that rent control would stay if you were related to the person who originally lived there when the price was fixed. So you can't just move in to a rent controlled apartment, you have to have some kind of "in."

My only knowledge of Rent Control came from the movie Joe's Apartment, but the explanation was pretty much this, yeah.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Rent made republicans.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Every time someone played La Boheme I could understand a little more of jeff sessions accent.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The only other Rent thing I am familiar with: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP1ToFQOBdg

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Yeah, Carol Burnett stuff maybe a tad lame nowadays, but a lot of it is still funny. Tim Conway alone is worth a watch because the man is insanely awesome.

stone cold posted:

it's pretty freaking racist

Mama's Family? Could you refresh my memory? I'm not denying it at all but it's been years since I've seen it and I've nearly forgotten. A lot of what sticks out about the show is how bizarre it got when it went to syndication and how casual it was with sex-shaming and exploring the direness of Midwest/Southern living where everybody was scraping to get by and there was a real lack of upward mobility combined with a genuine lack of anything to intellectually challenge anybody. Hearing Mama call her own daughter-in-law a floozy constantly is just downright insulting considering she remains faithful to her husband throughout the show while Iola -- the sexually repressed homebody who can't escape her parents' manipulative clutches -- is more than willing to elope with Vint and run off a few times on the show.

In fact, thinking about the parts I remember (so bear with me), the whole show is a nice look into lives of quiet desperation. Vint starts off as a man who doesn't work hard as much as he drifts through life looking for a big payout before becoming a dense clod with a dead-end job. His wife works as a cashier and while they both have the ability to purchase things to keep them happy momentarily they never have enough to escape their mother-in-law's basement. The whole thing has the weird stink of permanent enforced childhood through poverty that becomes a hell of a co-dependent relationship with Mama herself: they can't leave because they don't make money. She only has Iola to hang with most of the time because her personality is so toxic she can't help but keep pushing people away, even her own daughters who eventually just left the state and their responsibilities to run like hell. In a way, the only way the show really fails is that the anger and depression and anxiety doesn't manifest itself with the lot of them sitting around watching Fox News and screaming about Obama, and that's only because these people are products of a culture that limits people into roles they will never be happy with. The only sign of this is Bubba and Mama herself who fight to get out of it but even then that was a hard struggle with Bubba having a criminal record (that hangs over his head for a season or two) and Mama being afraid to complete her education due to being humiliated at school. There are ways out but holy poo poo the whole thing is a minefield that may get you regardless of how many times you pull at your bootstraps.

loving hell, did I just defend Mama's Family? I think I need to start drinking.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

While your dissertation on Mama's Family was quite good, I suspect stone cold was commenting on the Carol Burnett GWTW sketch.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I've been enjoying early 1990s Batman and Superman, and overall both series hold up fantastically well regarding animation, voice acting, and stories.

One recurring plot element does stand out: skyscrapers going down in explosions. In Beware the Gray Ghost a mad bomber is targeting buildings, and a tower crumples in flames. The episode is full of car bombs going off in downtown Gotham without consequence, and it reminded me of the intro to Children of Men.

In World's Finest, a rampaging Joker fires missiles from a giant glider at downtown Metropolis in the middle of the day and multiple tall buildings go down in seconds.

We don't even get a cursory "thank goodness it was the abandoned warehouse district", these episodes gotta have four figure body counts.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I don't think Mama's Family was ever worth a poo poo to begin with but I don't get the hate for The Carol Burnett Show at all.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Wheat Loaf posted:

Imagine if the Simpsons had aged in real time. Maggie would be 25, Bart and Lisa would be in their mid-30s and Homer and Marge would be 60.

Not if you think of each episode as one day in their lives. 600 some episodes is not even two years.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ralph Hurley posted:

Not if you think of each episode as one day in their lives. 600 some episodes is not even two years.

Some episodes take place over many months, though. I suppose some episodes could be happening concurrently, but that doesn't explain why they've celebrated Christmas a dozen or so times over the course of a couple years.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
One of my favorite Seinfeld episodes, "The Chinese Restaurant" comes to mind. The secondary plot revolves are George's frustration that every time he tries to use the restaurant's payphone to call his girlfriend Tatiana, someone else gets to it first.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

yo rear end is grass posted:

Listen to Joseph's voice at the beginning of the series, and compare it to the end.
Apparently Brittany Murphy (who voiced Luanne :rip:) did his voice until it was time for him to go through puberty.

a bit off topic but Brittany Murphy had a very weird death. i always thought it was a normal drug overdose but it was actually totally different; she got sick, her pneumonia worsened, she had prescription cough syrup, and because she was also anemic at the time, that all lead to her dying. kind of a worst-case scenario sort of thing.

but the crazy thing is that her husband (apparently a major dirt bag) died of the same sort of thing - acute pneumonia and anemia. five months after Brittany died, and in the same house. i guess health officials did toxic mold tests on the house and her parents suspected she'd be poisoned after all this, but the official coroners reports on them just state that cause was as above: pneumonia and anemia

Tumble has a new favorite as of 20:52 on Aug 16, 2017

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't think Mama's Family was ever worth a poo poo to begin with but I don't get the hate for The Carol Burnett Show at all.

It's a pretty good show, that episode is just pretty fuckin racist.

Speaking of racism, did anybody bring up the 1964 Twilight Zone episode, The Encounter, with a young George Takei, that, among other things, makes the claim that yes in fact there were Japanese Americans that spied for Imperial Japan during Pearl Harbor and has this charming moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvZjfGMxrmI

Worth noting that it faced considerable backlash even at the time and was yanked out of syndication for quite some years.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

stone cold posted:

It's a pretty good show, that episode is just pretty fuckin racist.

Speaking of racism, did anybody bring up the 1964 Twilight Zone episode, The Encounter, with a young George Takei, that, among other things, makes the claim that yes in fact there were Japanese Americans that spied for Imperial Japan during Pearl Harbor and has this charming moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvZjfGMxrmI

Worth noting that it faced considerable backlash even at the time and was yanked out of syndication for quite some years.

Its heart is in the right place with being a cautionary tale against the evils of prejudice but yeah, the ending being an inscrutable Japanese being driven to kill by the spirits of his ancestors is pretty bad.

Speaking of Twilight Zone, I can't believe that Night Gallery was only five years after Twilight Zone because everything about it feels so dated and ugly compared to how timeless and classic Twilight Zone is.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Yeah, Carol Burnett stuff maybe a tad lame nowadays, but a lot of it is still funny. Tim Conway alone is worth a watch because the man is insanely awesome.

Mama's Family? Could you refresh my memory? I'm not denying it at all but it's been years since I've seen it and I've nearly forgotten. A lot of what sticks out about the show is how bizarre it got when it went to syndication and how casual it was with sex-shaming and exploring the direness of Midwest/Southern living where everybody was scraping to get by and there was a real lack of upward mobility combined with a genuine lack of anything to intellectually challenge anybody. Hearing Mama call her own daughter-in-law a floozy constantly is just downright insulting considering she remains faithful to her husband throughout the show while Iola -- the sexually repressed homebody who can't escape her parents' manipulative clutches -- is more than willing to elope with Vint and run off a few times on the show.

In fact, thinking about the parts I remember (so bear with me), the whole show is a nice look into lives of quiet desperation. Vint starts off as a man who doesn't work hard as much as he drifts through life looking for a big payout before becoming a dense clod with a dead-end job. His wife works as a cashier and while they both have the ability to purchase things to keep them happy momentarily they never have enough to escape their mother-in-law's basement. The whole thing has the weird stink of permanent enforced childhood through poverty that becomes a hell of a co-dependent relationship with Mama herself: they can't leave because they don't make money. She only has Iola to hang with most of the time because her personality is so toxic she can't help but keep pushing people away, even her own daughters who eventually just left the state and their responsibilities to run like hell. In a way, the only way the show really fails is that the anger and depression and anxiety doesn't manifest itself with the lot of them sitting around watching Fox News and screaming about Obama, and that's only because these people are products of a culture that limits people into roles they will never be happy with. The only sign of this is Bubba and Mama herself who fight to get out of it but even then that was a hard struggle with Bubba having a criminal record (that hangs over his head for a season or two) and Mama being afraid to complete her education due to being humiliated at school. There are ways out but holy poo poo the whole thing is a minefield that may get you regardless of how many times you pull at your bootstraps.

amazing thing to read after this mama's family post

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I've been enjoying early 1990s Batman and Superman, and overall both series hold up fantastically well regarding animation, voice acting, and stories.

One recurring plot element does stand out: skyscrapers going down in explosions. In Beware the Gray Ghost a mad bomber is targeting buildings, and a tower crumples in flames. The episode is full of car bombs going off in downtown Gotham without consequence, and it reminded me of the intro to Children of Men.

In World's Finest, a rampaging Joker fires missiles from a giant glider at downtown Metropolis in the middle of the day and multiple tall buildings go down in seconds.

We don't even get a cursory "thank goodness it was the abandoned warehouse district", these episodes gotta have four figure body counts.

Pre-9/11 media was something else. A lot of shows got episodes delayed or pulled because of portraying cities getting wrecked. I think Transformers: Robots In Disguise (not to be confused with the current ongoing show by that name. What is it will all the goddamn same name reboots) ended up aired way out of order for that reason. Likewise, pretty much anything with guns at a school before Columbine. Though it makes Heathers even more of a pitch black comedy nowadays. (and if anything, even more on point)

It changed the way city destruction was portrayed even in movies that still did it, too. Man of Steel and Godzilla '14 focus on the rubble and the dust a lot more than the 'clean' destruction you used to see.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Ha! Yeah, I'm afraid as a young child I would watch the show a lot and as a result it's sometimes stuck in my head. The saddest thing when reading that article was that I looked at the price and muttered 'if only he waited seventeen more years he could have gotten the complete series from Time/Life for $70 because Amazon has it and it even has the original openers when the house they all lived in looked like poo poo and.....'

Yeah, I've wasted my life on lovely TV. I think one thing that enables it is the DVD craze that has allowed a lot of TV that should have been forgotten over time to come back. I mean, think about it: out of all the shows to get quality treatment from Time/Life, one of them is loving MAMA'S FAMILY.

Jesus Christ.

Anyway...

Inescapable Duck posted:

Pre-9/11 media was something else. A lot of shows got episodes delayed or pulled because of portraying cities getting wrecked. I think Transformers: Robots In Disguise (not to be confused with the current ongoing show by that name. What is it will all the goddamn same name reboots) ended up aired way out of order for that reason. Likewise, pretty much anything with guns at a school before Columbine. Though it makes Heathers even more of a pitch black comedy nowadays. (and if anything, even more on point)

The '90s really are a foreign land and time when you look at it today. Does anybody remember when the X-Files movie started off with a pretty close recreation of the Oklahoma City bombing? You can't really do that poo poo nowadays but it was cool with Fox that, two to three years after the fact, they could reference a real life tragedy for a opening to a movie based on a TV show. And it was pretty much a throwaway reference just to drum up attention for the film. And today that's pretty much forgotten much like everything else pre 9/11 attacks are.

I'm not sure if that was brass balls or just a callous disregard for a tragedy, but that poo poo won't happen today.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Unless it's a superhero movie or Transformers, in which case grim recreations of 9/11 are par for the course.

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice
There was an EP of Buffy called Earshot that got pulled because of Columbine. She gains the ability to hear people's thoughts and one of them was going to shoot up Sunnydale.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

Unless it's a superhero movie or Transformers, in which case grim recreations of 9/11 are par for the course.

Don't forget OOH-RAH AMERICUH gently caress YEAH patriotism like 13 Hours.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Trebek posted:

There was an EP of Buffy called Earshot that got pulled because of Columbine. She gains the ability to hear people's thoughts and one of them was going to shoot up Sunnydale.

I thought they pulled the episode where Jonathan climbed into the bell tower with the rifle, too, even though he wasn't going to shoot anyone but himself.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Leavemywife posted:

I thought they pulled the episode where Jonathan climbed into the bell tower with the rifle, too, even though he wasn't going to shoot anyone but himself.

That's the same one. She thinks Jonathan is going to shoot up the school, but actually what she heard was the dinner lady planning to poison everyone.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
There was an episode of Veronica Mars, Un-American Graffiti, where the ending of that week's mystery is getting a Muslim man deported as retaliation for protesting the war in Iraq, and this is treated as an unequivocally good thing. This would be bad enough if it aired when the post-9/11 fury was at its peak and the invasion of Iraq was actually popular but this episode aired in 2007, well past the point where even Republicans were pretending it was a good idea anymore.

It's even crazier because the entire mystery of the episode is about a restaurant owned by a middle-eastern family being defaced with hateful graffiti, and when they catch the guy who did it they let him off scott-free because he was doing it as retaliation for their employee protesting Iraq and they basically say that he was in the right.

On a lighter note, season 3 had an overarching plotline about a campus rapist that was at one point going to be played by Michael Cera and he even appears in the premiere as a tour guide before scheduling conflicts made him give up the role. Even back then the cute little nerdy kid from Arrested Development playing a rapist is pretty :wtc:, I can't imagine how differently his career could have gone if he had taken that role.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I recently thought about trying Veronica Mars and I'm much less enthused now.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

s1 and s2 Veronica Mars is really good stuff imho. Season 3 sucked for the most part. Such is life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

EmmyOk posted:

I recently thought about trying Veronica Mars and I'm much less enthused now.

It's still a great show, and it's mostly fairly forward-thinking and progressive which makes that episode stand out even more. Though S3 was pretty weak since it was right after UPN was bought out and became The CW so there was a lot of meddling. Also it moved from high school to college and lost a lot.