Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nintendo?
This poll is closed.
Nintendon't 45 22.73%
Nintendoomed 22 11.11%
Nintendrone 13 6.57%
Nintendovahkiin 55 27.78%
Nintend'oh! 63 31.82%
Total: 198 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

StrixNebulosa posted:

Bad, but in a highly entertaining way

my brain started to try and kill itself when they revealed that there were computer viruses infect people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also a lot of my time with the game was spent using the default jump settings that routes your ship through dozens (hundreds?) of extra jumps to get from place to place to minimize fuel consumption so that probably contributed a lot to my experience with it

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I keep on reading articles about Elite Dangerous, it looks like they've been doing a bunch of incremental plot stuff where they'll put something weird into the game and then wait for the players to find it and decode it before they move onto the next thing. It looks kinda fun, but I guess that would still involve an awful lot of downtime.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The second screen is essential, not just because you frequently find yourself waiting several minutes without anything of interest happening but also because you need to google information the game simply does not give you like where to find specific ship upgrades.

There is no plot to speak of, there's a sort of metagame in which the community discovers and investigates the rare clue that gets dropped and sometimes announces that there's a new alien base in X system or whatever but for the most part it's an endless grind to get more cash to get better stuff to get more cash faster. It's also got a real problem with ganking unless you opt out of player interaction entirely or join one of the private groups that forbids it.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 16, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

exploded mummy posted:

my brain started to try and kill itself when they revealed that there were computer viruses infect people

It's not the dumbest thing in toku

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

glam rock hamhock posted:

PUBG doesn't seem like my type of thing but it's weird to pretend to not see the appeal.

I don't see the appeal. It just looks like another of the hundreds of knockoffs of DayZ to me.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

haveblue posted:

The second screen is essential, not just because you frequently find yourself waiting several minutes without anything of interest happening but also because you need to google information the game simply does not give you like where to find specific ship upgrades.

There is no plot to speak of, there's a sort of metagame in which the community discovers and investigates the rare clue that gets dropped and sometimes announces that there's a new alien base in X system or whatever but for the most part it's an endless grind to get more cash to get better stuff to get more cash faster. It's also got a real problem with ganking unless you opt out of player interaction entirely or join one of the private groups that forbids it.

it's weird to hear that the game's got a ganking problem because i played in what was ostensibly the "multiplayer" mode the entire time back when i was messing around with it and wouldn't even be able to tell you for sure that i ever encountered anyone that wasn't a procedurally generated npc

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I don't see the appeal. It just looks like another of the hundreds of knockoffs of DayZ to me.

It's the one DayZ knockoff that is good

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's not the dumbest thing in toku

goodbye second grade

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I bought the Sonic game. It's real good so far. One of the things I've noticed is the levels feel HUGE again. Like, in most platformers if you miss a jump you just die, start over. With the original Sonic games, if you missed a jump you were suddenly in a part of the level you'd never seen before, with new mechanics and challenges. That's something that has been in the newer games but never to the same scale. Studiopolis and Chemical Plant in Mania perfectly encapsulate that, it's great.

CJacobs posted:

Well let's dig down, can you not see any reason why the concept of DayZ appeals to people? Now take that concept and polish it to take away the boring, grindy bullshit and you have PUBG.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

CJacobs posted:

Kinda, but with only the fun parts. I still think its just okay mostly because its janky as gently caress and I'm very used to highly polished fps games. Also it has like zero style and everything looks like slightly higher quality out-of-the-box engine assets.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

MMF Freeway posted:

Kinda, but with only the fun parts. I still think its just okay mostly because its janky as gently caress and I'm very used to highly polished fps games. Also it has like zero style and everything looks like slightly higher quality out-of-the-box engine assets.

Yeah pretty much. You can tell it's popular because they took the "battle royale" framework and actually made something fun to play, but one of these days some AAA dev team is gonna announce how they're making PUBG only with way better aesthetics and netcode and PUBG will probably die a slow death.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

PantsBandit posted:

Well let's dig down, can you not see any reason why the concept of DayZ appeals to people?

I can't, no. DayZ is boring as hell

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah pretty much. You can tell it's popular because they took the "battle royale" framework and actually made something fun to play, but one of these days some AAA dev team is gonna announce how they're making PUBG only with way better aesthetics and netcode and PUBG will probably die a slow death.

they will inevitably gently caress it up instead and PUBG is going to be fine

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

pubg is fun to play solo, duo, and in a squad. that's my review

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CJacobs posted:

same, but sonic the hedgehog

see

see how that feels

but also i don't really have any interest in pubg either besides saying the word pubg out loud

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Actually it's pronounced pubg

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

CJacobs posted:

Why do you find it boring?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

MMORPUBG

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cowcaster posted:

it's weird to hear that the game's got a ganking problem because i played in what was ostensibly the "multiplayer" mode the entire time back when i was messing around with it and wouldn't even be able to tell you for sure that i ever encountered anyone that wasn't a procedurally generated npc

Yeah, it hasn't happened to me personally either but it's the impression I get from reading about it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

I bought the Sonic game. It's real good so far. One of the things I've noticed is the levels feel HUGE again. Like, in most platformers if you miss a jump you just die, start over. With the original Sonic games, if you missed a jump you were suddenly in a part of the level you'd never seen before, with new mechanics and challenges. That's something that has been in the newer games but never to the same scale. Studiopolis and Chemical Plant in Mania perfectly encapsulate that, it's great.

I'm not even sure if the game even really has pits unless you're really, really determined in Chemical plant or something.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Is Day Z like, the alpha strain of this type of game? I don't think I've ever heard anyone talk about any of them until the Giant Bomb Man got into pubg.

edit: 31% reviews on steam wow

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

PantsBandit posted:

that's cool to hear, after most 2d sonics past the genesis games decided it was a great idea to have bottomless pits loving everywhere

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

peace unto be game

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm probably going to always pass on PUBG but if you could play as a cool chick with a bow I'd at least give it a shot.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if you want to go down the family tree i think it started with arma 2, a huge map, realistic gun physics "shooter simulation", which people modded to make Day Z and Battle Royale and I think an early version of PUBG

edit:

exquisite tea posted:

I'm probably going to always pass on PUBG but if you could play as a cool chick with a bow I'd at least give it a shot.

technically there's crossbows but they function as well in competition with firearms as they would in the real world so

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Saint Freak posted:

Actually it's pronounced pubg

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Saint Freak posted:

Is Day Z like, the alpha strain of this type of game? I don't think I've ever heard anyone talk about any of them until the Giant Bomb Man got into pubg.

edit: 31% reviews on steam wow

Day z was very popular for an arma 2 mod. It got me to buy arma to try it out, which turned out to be a terrible decision since day z is extremely bad.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

There are very few games that couldn't be improved by playing as a chick with a bow, to be honest.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Saint Freak posted:

edit: 31% on steam wow

dayz was like the first game to offer the kind of tense multiplayer survival battle thing, but pubg is basically someone seeing that and saying "what if we shaved off the hours of nothing happening"

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Why do you find it boring?

There's a hell of a lot of wandering around and not a lot of action, and when there is action it comes almost entirely down to who pulls the trigger first or has been waiting in the same spot the longest. That and the zombies are completely superfluous, it may as well not be a zombie game.

edit: And the last time I said this someone said "well PUBG fixes those complaints" but I watched some footage and it looks like almost literally the same game

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CJacobs posted:

There's a hell of a lot of wandering around and not a lot of action, and when there is action it comes almost entirely down to who pulls the trigger first or has been waiting in the same spot the longest. That and the zombies are completely superfluous, it may as well not be a zombie game.

Well none of those things are true for pubg so you might like it

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

they're kind of true for pubg

or is that :thejoke:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Like, PUBG addresses pretty much every one of those complaints.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

exquisite tea posted:

There are very few games that couldn't be improved by playing as a chick with a bow, to be honest.

a violin option for rock band would be p sweet

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Boy I really should've included that edit in my original post instead of putting it in after. Oh well.

Both games also look completely visually uninteresting which is partially due to the whole game looking like it's made out of asset rips but that doesn't bother me as much as the gameplay having terrible pacing.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

there's a ton of waiting in pubg but the fun parts are fun

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Zetsubou-san posted:

a violin option for rock band would be p sweet

Chicks with bows are also always a valid addition to the music world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

they're kind of true for pubg

or is that :thejoke:

They are only true for pubg in that it might have 5-15 minutes with little/no action sometimes but it's being compared to DayZ where that time is 10 hours

• Locked thread