Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nintendo?
This poll is closed.
Nintendon't 45 22.73%
Nintendoomed 22 11.11%
Nintendrone 13 6.57%
Nintendovahkiin 55 27.78%
Nintend'oh! 63 31.82%
Total: 198 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

they're kind of true for pubg

There are elements there but it's all been reduced and sped up with an emphasis on keeping you moving and fighting other people while giving everyone an equal chance of coming out on top

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'm just fundamentally repulsed by the idea of an open world game where you're steadily herded into a smaller and smaller area, while simultaneously recognizing that it's absolutely necessary for the game to work.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I think the concept of the shrinking map is a real gamechanger in PUBG and what makes it so successful.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ah, i've never played dayz so i don't have that point of reference to compare it to

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also PUBG is a stupid name but I'm assuming that when you start the game for the first time a eula pops up that says "you must accept this dumb loving name to play"

Palpek posted:

I think the concept of the shrinking map is a real gamechanger in PUBG and what makes it so successful.

This is a good change because it forces conflict instead of eternal boring stalemates where everything becomes the boss fight with The End minus the parrot

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Also PUBG is a stupid name

I don't think anyone here disagrees with that

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

All the good games in 2017 have had dumb names, that's the rule.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I don't agree with people who say that Horizon Zero Dawn is a dumb name, it kicks rear end.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Palpek posted:

I don't agree with people who say that Horizon Zero Dawn is a dumb name, it kicks rear end.

Well it's better than Breath of the Wild, like ewwww Mr. Bokoblin your breath be stinkin'.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Horizon Zero Dawn is a word salad title but anything is better than PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS so you can take solace in that. I just wish the new Doom had actually been named DO4M for real.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I wouldn't say it was dumb exactly but it does feel like it came from a generic futuristic game name generator.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I felt it was supposed to sound like a special operation name like Zero Dark Thirty and that idea fit the game's themes nicely in my mind.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If Horizon was a bad game then its name would probably be really easy to make fun of, but it's really good so now we just accept it. Much like PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
It's no West of Loathing

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

exquisite tea posted:

I'm probably going to always pass on PUBG but if you could play as a cool chick with a bow I'd at least give it a shot.

How about crossbows

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Why didn't they just call it Battlegrounds

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The flaw in your thinking is that sonic mania is a great name :colbert:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

WoW probably still has more name recognition on that front, need more disambiguation

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Help Im Alive posted:

Because player unknown is an insane egomaniac who was dropkicked through a glass door.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

What's the worst game with the coolest-sounding name?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

glam rock hamhock posted:

PUBG doesn't seem like my type of thing but it's weird to pretend to not see the appeal.

I seriously don't get it. I've played it a few times too, and with friends. It's the antithesis of why I play multiplayer games

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

exquisite tea posted:

If Horizon was a bad game then its name would probably be really easy to make fun of, but it's really good so now we just accept it. Much like PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS.
When I first saw the mention of PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS I seriously didn't know what the hell, I thought it's some streamer's name or some in-game lingo I don't get or something. I actually googled which game does this name refer to.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Battlegrounds is one of those games that I know I would be terrible at, but watching people stream it is fun occasionally.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

in oddium's pubg everyone starts with a 4x kar and a shotgun, there are no other weapons, ammo and armor drops are still there, the circle is constantly shrinking and doesn't move faster than the player can run

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Serf posted:

Battlegrounds is one of those games that I know I would be terrible at, but watching people stream it is fun occasionally.

Almost everybody else is terrible too so it doesn't matter

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

there's poop in my soup!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
CJacobs' PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS is a moba

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Palpek posted:

When I first saw the mention of PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS I seriously didn't know what the hell, I thought it's some streamer's name or some in-game lingo I don't get or something. I actually googled which game does this name refer to.

The devs are probably glad the guy's internet handle wasn't something more ridiculous

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

exquisite tea posted:

No Man's Sky?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Saint Freak posted:

No Man's Sky?

I do like that name, but apparently the game is good now.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Also Ex-Aid is good as hell because it's ultimately about repeatedly beating up CEOs.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Motto posted:

Also Ex-Aid is good as hell because it's ultimately about repeatedly beating up CEOs.

The plot summary makes it read like a bad SAO

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's true, smash players don't shower

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

In Training posted:

It's true, smash players don't shower

Actually the term they use is 'washies'

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

Actually the term they use is 'washies'

lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

MMF Freeway posted:

The devs are probably glad the guy's internet handle wasn't something more ridiculous

Isn't PlayerUnknown the lead dev?

I do think giving your game a possessory title like that is a bad look, though

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

in oddium's pubg everyone starts with a 4x kar and a shotgun, there are no other weapons, ammo and armor drops are still there, the circle is constantly shrinking and doesn't move faster than the player can run

That's just FPS deathmatch no respawns on a smaller map except it takes time for the map to get small for some reason.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Today I bought a t shirt with a video game design on it for the first time in my life

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm more curious why everyone seems to have gone along with it and didn't just call it Battleground.

In Training posted:

Today I bought a t shirt with a video game design on it for the first time in my life

Post it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

In Training posted:

That's just FPS deathmatch no respawns on a smaller map except it takes time for the map to get small for some reason.

they should make an fps deathmatch no respawns on a smaller map

• Locked thread