Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Blight Runner posted:

So what's everyone doing with their 3* CEs? I don't have any CE's that I'm heavily invested in right now. Just banking exp into 1* CEs until I find something I need maxed. Been thinking of just selling the 3* for mana prisms since I know some items will cost a ton of mana to get them all at some future event/date.

The only items that cost a ton of prisms are the CEs. Everything else (summon tickets, exp cards, Fous), you can buy out for a few hundred each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I have no idea what I'm doing but I've just been feeding everything that's not looking useful to my 4 and 5 stars.
Edit: Talking about CEs.

genericnick fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 15, 2017

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Hopefully that does not include servants. Some 1-3 stars servants can be extremely powerful/useful.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

I notice that Mooncell Automaton is a 3* CE. Does that mean that it will be available in the Friend summon, or only in the banner for the moon goddess event?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

BlazeEmblem posted:

I notice that Mooncell Automaton is a 3* CE. Does that mean that it will be available in the Friend summon, or only in the banner for the moon goddess event?

Supposedly it wasn't the first time the event ran. Later event 3*s were, though, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Someone liked that CE a lot.
https://twitter.com/te_ppc/status/897447231812386816

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

We need those. Plus Aloha Cu.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
Omg I want that skin for Vlad.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Vladimir 3-Aces

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
They should make a costume for Herc that covers up his weird toes.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
moriarty's greatest crime yet: conquest of margaritaville

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

a kitten posted:

That reminds me

European, obviously; African swallows are nonmigratory.

But really, cutting a swallow's not impressive.

Cutting a swallow AND its coconut, now that's impressive.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Monty Python references are lame 99% of the time but for some reason when they involve Saber it makes me smile.

Blight Runner
May 3, 2009

Schubalts posted:

The only items that cost a ton of prisms are the CEs. Everything else (summon tickets, exp cards, Fous), you can buy out for a few hundred each.

Okay, that's good. The reason I ask is, costs to feed a gold SR or CE is more expensive (QP) than to say a bronze item. So obviously it's been more cost effective to toss those 4* cards if you wanna level your gold servants. But CEs have that accumulated EXP mechanic where if you feed a CE that has some prior levels into a lesser CE, the final end result will have the full roll up (or some portion?) of EXP you've been investing into. Sorta like a turducken/inception/matroyshka doll of CE. I don't have a K-scope, but when I do, I can probably level it up halfway with just one of these exp bombs.

In the meanwhile, I've refrained from using friend points in the hopes that the Moon festival CE is available. Here's hoping.

cyxx
Oct 1, 2005

Byon!
I finally noticed a whale on my friends list. I noticed last week he had an np5 Gilgamesh. His support cast has pretty much all kaleidoscopes. Then I do some dailies today and notice his Gilgamesh started with 100% np bar. So that means he also has a max limit broken kaleidoscope along with another half dozen kaleidoscopes of unknown limit brokenness.

That's kinda cool, though

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

cyxx posted:

I finally noticed a whale on my friends list. I noticed last week he had an np5 Gilgamesh. His support cast has pretty much all kaleidoscopes. Then I do some dailies today and notice his Gilgamesh started with 100% np bar. So that means he also has a max limit broken kaleidoscope along with another half dozen kaleidoscopes of unknown limit brokenness.

I thank him for his service in keeping the servers up.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

cyxx posted:

You can tell from a glance if an equipped CE has been limit broken. It will have a diamond on it.

Check out Beginning of the Journey to see what I mean, since it starts out limit broken (and max level).

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
A fully grailed Vlad makes sense if I pull Tamamo right? Like the stat gain isn't optimal but Vlad is the primary damage dealer there right? I don't think Tamamo or Waver need the stats since they're just support. And I don't have a Waver but one of my friends is probably gonna grail him because he's Waver.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Grail your husbando/waifu

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Freak Futanari posted:

Grail your husbando/waifu
as an addendum to this, grailing a 5* does basically nothing. it gives them like 1000 hp and 1000 attack for 5 grails. do it if you want to but if you're talking gameplay benefits you're much better off grailing bronzies or silvers so they can basically be 4*s. for instance if you're doing some full arts team grailing mozart to level 80 would be a way better use of 5 grails. even if you don't grail vlad hes still gonna be vlad, but if you grail mozart he goes from doing no damage and dying in a hit to still doing no damage but being able to survive to use his ridiculously good support abilities

cyxx
Oct 1, 2005

Byon!

Vengarr posted:

You can tell from a glance if an equipped CE has been limit broken. It will have a diamond on it.

Check out Beginning of the Journey to see what I mean, since it starts out limit broken (and max level).

Okay whew. He only has one max lb kaleidoscope.

https://i.imgur.com/P76nnPL.png

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

W.T. Fits posted:

European, obviously; African swallows are nonmigratory.

But really, cutting a swallow's not impressive.

Cutting a swallow AND its coconut, now that's impressive.

I did a report on Miyamoto Musashi back when I was in college, and if I remember the duel between him and Kojiro, the Swallow technique was inspired by the movement of a swallow's tail while in flight, not from a desire to murder a small bird.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

In the Fate universe Kojiro didn't actually exist so why not change the meaning of his famous sword technique?

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
So I'm a moron and rolled a few times.

What is my best team atm: Vlad/Martha/Jeanne/Waver/Lancezerker/SAlter/Heracles/Medusa/Camilla/CuFSN/Anderson/ Emiya.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Vlad, waver, and Jeanne once you have the space to fit them. Wowza.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Vlad/Waver/Jeanne/Emiya/Heracles for bosskilling. Throw a support Gil in there for additional fun. Robin Hood or Medea might be better than Emiya. Or you could replace him with Hans for the Full Stall Experience.

Waver/Lancelot/Salter for farming.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Aug 16, 2017

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Blight Runner posted:

So what's everyone doing with their 3* CEs? I don't have any CE's that I'm heavily invested in right now. Just banking exp into 1* CEs until I find something I need maxed. Been thinking of just selling the 3* for mana prisms since I know some items will cost a ton of mana to get them all at some future event/date.

I keep one fully ascended version of everything but the poo poo ones with debuff resist. I could probably clean it up even more, but the better 3* CEs will still see use far into the game once you have enough 5* servants and CEs that team cost is prohibitive.

I honestly wouldn't burn CEs for prisms ever. There are many other ways to get prisms, but unneeded CEs are the only way to get CE experience, and it takes a ridiculous amount to get a rare CE up to level 100. If you don't have anything you want to level up right now or are stuck by caps, just combine them into 1* XP bombs until you eventually do.

Soylentbits posted:

A fully grailed Vlad makes sense if I pull Tamamo right? Like the stat gain isn't optimal but Vlad is the primary damage dealer there right? I don't think Tamamo or Waver need the stats since they're just support. And I don't have a Waver but one of my friends is probably gonna grail him because he's Waver.

Tamamo is a great core to make an Arts team, and plays well with anybody with a lot of arts cards and powerful skills she can reduce the CD on. Waver in particular is a prime candidate. Tamamo/Waver/Your choice of arts attacker is a very solid combination, and Vlad is an excellent choice for the attacker there. Arts teams are fun because you can shoot NPs a lot, and there are loads of arts-based attackers to choose from.

That being said, there's not really any need to grail him for stats. Grail your waifu, and if there's no one you particularly favor grail a 1-4 star servant you use often to 80 or 90 so they have a bit more hp to play with the big boys.

The only real reason to grail a 5* that's not your waifu is if you want to put them at the top of your friends support list so maybe you get a few more friend points.

WrightOfWay posted:

In the Fate universe Kojiro didn't actually exist so why not change the meaning of his famous sword technique?

The weird thing about Kojiro is that with the Sherlock trial event they've now basically officially retconned it so that fictional characters can be summoned, so his original excuse of not being the real Sasaki Kojiro but just a guy kind of like him isn't really even needed anymore.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Bakanogami posted:

I honestly wouldn't burn CEs for prisms ever. There are many other ways to get prisms, but unneeded CEs are the only way to get CE experience, and it takes a ridiculous amount to get a rare CE up to level 100. If you don't have anything you want to level up right now or are stuck by caps, just combine them into 1* XP bombs until you eventually do.

3* CEs only give twice the experience of 2* CEs, though, and 2* CEs are so common you're not really going to notice the loss from selling the 3* ones.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Man, I just realized that I won't be able to ascend Robin a third time until the Santa Alter event because that's the next event with a Serpent Jewels as either a guaranteed reward or something you can buy in the shop. It looks like GUDAGUDA has it has a possible drop but that's not much better. I'm exactly one short!

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Man, I just realized that I won't be able to ascend Robin a third time until the Santa Alter event because that's the next event with a Serpent Jewels as either a guaranteed reward or something you can buy in the shop. It looks like GUDAGUDA has it has a possible drop but that's not much better. I'm exactly one short!

Just farm it up when Okeanos comes out.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

WrightOfWay posted:

The funny thing is, Kojiro is the only one of the original 7 servants that even is likely to have existed in real life, so it is interesting to have chosen him to be fictional in universe.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 16, 2017

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Bakanogami posted:

The weird thing about Kojiro is that with the Sherlock trial event they've now basically officially retconned it so that fictional characters can be summoned, so his original excuse of not being the real Sasaki Kojiro but just a guy kind of like him isn't really even needed anymore.

I think the main issue with Kojiro is that even his own fictional account is threadbare at best. He's an aside in someone else's story, whereas other fictional entities are protagonists or main villains. Frankenstein, Holmes and Moriarty, etc. He's far less defined. In fact, I bet if the concept of Phantoms had existed in FSN he'd be one, but since it didn't and Medea forced the issue in a traditional Grail War, we get this weird mix of real-not real that the Throne then canonized because "oh he was in a Grail War he must be legit".

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Santa is real to me.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Bakanogami posted:

They said in Rome that Romulus was likely fictional, but Dr. Roman said that fictional characters could be summoned then. So fictional characters being allowed to be summoned as regular servants has been in the game since the start.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Summer part 2 is delayed until 11am JST on the 17. :negative:

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
The Holmes quest felt more like Nasu just being extremely tongue in cheek about the mythology/metafictional aspect of Fate lore, given that it doesn't really say anything new. If anything, the conversation between Holmes and Moriarty at the end tips the scales more towards the "everything is/was actually real" side of things.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Sherlock Holmes stories have the keyfabe that Sir Doyle was Watson's literary agent and merely publishing the stories.

I assumed that Grand Order was going with that.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

taser rates posted:

The Holmes quest felt more like Nasu just being extremely tongue in cheek about the mythology/metafictional aspect of Fate lore, given that it doesn't really say anything new. If anything, the conversation between Holmes and Moriarty at the end tips the scales more towards the "everything is/was actually real" side of things.

The Throne of Heroes exists outside of time and space, and thus contains a record of every hero in every universe...ever. We know this is the case because EMIYA can be summoned to worlds where Emiya Shirou never became a hero of justice (like in Heaven's Feel, or the Extraverse where Shirou was never even a mage). Since the multiverse is infinite, you can pretty much always find a hero who will fit your given criteria. So why wasn't the "real" Sasaki Kojiro summoned?

It may be helpful to think of the Holy Grail as a computer, and the Throne of Heroes as a super-massive database. When a Master calls for a Servant, the Grail searches the database for a suitable hero based on the classes available. The Master almost always uses a Catalyst related to the hero they're calling. This is the equivalent of using search terms to narrow down the potential fields, but the number of candidates is still essentially infinite. The Master's personality also seems to help narrow down the field, since it's noted over and over that Master and Servant tend to be alike. The final candidate is selected from this list.

Medea's summoning went weirdly because she was a Servant herself, and that seems to have thrown the Grail's operation out of wack. It should have summoned one of the Hassan's using the class name as a Catalyst, but instead it flailed around looking for a hero related to the Ryuudou Temple. It settled on Sasaki Kojiro (for some unknown reason), but since his legend was so vague in that universe, the Grail said '"Uhh...here's a guy who can cut swallows...good enough." This happens again in Fate/Go with Musashibou Benkei; the guy who was summoned using that name as a 2* is actually an imposter.

So you could probably summon Batman or Lupin the Third if you wanted. Their power would likely be pretty weak though: Heroic Spirits are described as being similar to gods, in that human belief gives them shape and power. The strength of a summoned Hero is heavily dependent on the Master that summoned them, the scope of their legend, and how much people believe in that legend.

A hero roundly acknowledged by society to be "not real" would probably suffer heavily.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Vengarr posted:

A hero roundly acknowledged by society to be "not real" would probably suffer heavily.

Doesn't seem to have done Holmes or Frankenstein much harm.

edit: Batman was great in Puzzle+Dragon, I'd totally run with him in F/GO too.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Kojiro is also summoned through caster's own method.

There's also conceptual servant like Nursery Rhyme.