Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Rhyno posted:

So all the Exclusives are exempt from the 20% coupon AND the free shipping. $120 for that set after shipping means I'm not buying one.

Booooooo! gently caress them haters!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

pubic works project posted:

Booooooo! gently caress them haters!

I ain't worried. Most of the TF box sets were available for a long time after and they ended up on their Ebay store for a nice discount.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Endless Mike posted:

Which one of you is this?

it's not as bad as that goon who had jessie from pokemon being tentacle raped tattooed onto his arm, but boy that's preeeeetty bad

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Rhyno posted:

I ain't worried. Most of the TF box sets were available for a long time after and they ended up on their Ebay store for a nice discount.

Oh that's cool. Gives me some time to focus on some other stuff TF-wise.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Woo woo, preorder processed, payment confirming on my Siege set. Gonna ship the POL tonight!

Edit: or now! Whoooooo! More TOYZ

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 14, 2017

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Opened MMC Turben/Whirl and he's really good! A large voyager size, nicely articulated. Close enough to IDW to scratch that itch. Altmode is a bit messy, and transformation is simple enough, although those loooooooong folding back spurs are frightening. He's one that's only ever going to be in bot mode, honestly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

Opened MMC Turben/Whirl and he's really good! A large voyager size, nicely articulated. Close enough to IDW to scratch that itch. Altmode is a bit messy, and transformation is simple enough, although those loooooooong folding back spurs are frightening. He's one that's only ever going to be in bot mode, honestly.

Can you post some close ups of his head at a few angles? That's really what's keeping me from pulling the trigger.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rhyno posted:

Can you post some close ups of his head at a few angles? That's really what's keeping me from pulling the trigger.

Like this?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah, he's cool but his head is too G1 and not enough IDW for me. But he is probably the closest to IDW we'll ever get.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
At a Kmart right now, and good God is it depressing here, you know a store is dying when they don't have any display televisions or a even a barebones videogame department, as for their Transformers selection, barely anything and what they do have is overpriced, they do have a tube of knockoff figures available for sale that I should take a picture of though cause they are hilariously blatant in their IP theft

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Kmart - where 1994 never ended.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

drrockso20 posted:

At a Kmart right now, and good God is it depressing here, you know a store is dying
So when Target was planning to come up here there was a chorus of excitement at the idea of Canadians getting Target.

Target was buying out a dying chain, and they were dying when I first got back into collecting, so me and my sister visited a bunch of these stores - Zellers - and it was just an endless parade of misery. Every toy aisle looked like a bomb was dropped on it, with basically no new product or anything from the last year back. The final store we went to, the lights above the toy aisle had gone out and most of the product was covered with a thick curtain of dust. Zellers was already a lovely walmart, but man, these were sad rear end stories.

Target announced they wanted to enter the market to replace Zellers. It went really well for them!

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 14, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I stopped in a mid Indiana K-Mart a year back and it was clean and very well stocked. I was shocked but found out the nearest similar store was nearly an hour away so it made sense that they'd do good business.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I found out Gonzales in Louisiana (just outside Baton Rouge) had a KMart a couple of years back, and it was just a 10 minute drive further along from my friend's house so I stopped by. It still had the feel of when I first encountered these huge American stores when I first visited the US as a 10yo back in the early 90s.

There was no electronics section, no video games. The toy aisle was surprisingly up to date, and I remember snagging some legend class or other for cheap. But it had this weird air of both still being very much in business, yet slowly dying at the same time. The staff were directing people to the Walmart up the street for certain items.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Spiderdrake posted:

So when Target was planning to come up here there was a chorus of excitement at the idea of Canadians getting Target.

Target was buying out a dying chain, and they were dying when I first got back into collecting, so me and my sister visited a bunch of these stores - Zellers - and it was just an endless parade of misery. Every toy aisle looked like a bomb was dropped on it, with basically no new product or anything from the last year back. The final store we went to, the lights above the toy aisle had gone out and most of the product was covered with a thick curtain of dust. Zellers was already a lovely walmart, but man, these were sad rear end stories.

Target announced they wanted to enter the market to replace Zellers. It went really well for them!

As an American I only know about Zellers from those animated Batman ads they did back in the 80s for their toy department

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

The_Doctor posted:

The spindly things are super scary when you have them all extended but before you tab everything together, at least they fold up completely in robot mode. I really like how expressive the weird claws can be too!

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Rhyno posted:

I was holding out hope that it would indeed get a US release. I don't know if it's worth $70 to get a Takara one.

It's not.

SpazmasterX posted:

My thinking is that this is the first honest, first-party attempt at an update of a figure that hasn't really had another version in over 20 years. So why not? It certainly doesn't look like a bad toy either.

Because it is a bad toy. Trailer mode is fine for what it is, but robot mode isn't much better than the G1 toy, and the arms...I don't even care about hollow bits much but Godbomber's robot arms are not only separate pieces that fall off if you look at them wrong but they barely even have what qualify as three sides to them, let alone four. As armor for Prime he kind of holds together okay mostly, but the foot pieces are completely inadequate and the figure falls over backward purely because there's nothing bracing the Godbomber piece against the Prime foot. There's a Perfect Effect set on the way to fix that but overall Godbomber was not worth the money, IMO, even speaking as a huge God Ginrai mark.

After getting my hands on it I am not remotely surprised Hasbro isn't bringing it here. It's not even halfway up to their standards of recent years.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Godbomber kinda sucks but if you poo poo on God Ginrai \ Powermaster Prime, I will literally fight you, as in fisticuffs

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Oh no a gnome might swear in public while I hold him back with my palm on his forehead.

The Iron Factory POMP has lived on my desk since I got him. He's real good.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Spiderdrake posted:

Oh no a gnome might swear in public while I hold him back with my palm on his forehead.

The Iron Factory POMP has lived on my desk since I got him. He's real good.

Well I'm a feisty little gnome, I can nibble your nards

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Are there pictures of that PE kit?

e: which reminds me PE are making a TM2 Megatron to go with their Beast Gorira.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blackheart posted:

Are there pictures of that PE kit?

http://www.thechosenprime.com/PerfectEffectPC18

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Oh. Still looks a bit weird though.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
Yeah it doesn't quite all come together right. It's a nice version of God Ginrai, and I do like the colors on the Legends version better than the US release, but Godbomber is not worth the import cost, I don't think. That PE set is pretty much mandatory if you want him to be able to stand properly. The sword Godbomber comes with is also complete garbage, so that's a necessary upgrade, too.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
New Thew!

It's Megantron!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I... I'm not angry at the bathhouse fetish comic pin-up with the lady combiner set, Takara... I'm... I'm just disappointed.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Gaz-L posted:

I... I'm not angry at the bathhouse fetish comic pin-up with the lady combiner set, Takara... I'm... I'm just disappointed.

At least it isn't KISS Players again.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I wouldn't pick Thew out for Steven Universe fan, but I appreciate his remix of Giant Woman.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The pink panther joke was one of his best/worst ever. Ever.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm glad Mr. Adams finally cleared up how to pronounce "waifu" for me.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I wouldn't pick Thew out for Steven Universe fan, but I appreciate his remix of Giant Woman.

He pulled an awesome SU reference back in his Towline video (from about the 2 minute mark):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kvU7v6Ocq4

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I know the base mold isn't a stellar figure but I needed practice on something disposable and I'm glad how this turned out:

Picture isn't very good and it looks better in hand, I swear.

Really want to try something when if I get my hands on Nitro.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
Nice! What types/brands of paint and sealer did you go with?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I used some cheapo Humbrol acrylics, mostly gunmetal and the other details are blue or black mixed with it too. I disassembled the head to paint the eyes piece (I guess the fig was meant to have lightpiping but it doesn't really work anyway) but man is red acrylic a bitch to apply.

It's good that you mention sealing because I've not applied anything to cover the paint and I'd like to know what products to use and if I can brush them or just buy a spray can. I've got a spray I used to seal graphite drawings (it was basically the same as hair spray), not sure if that'll do.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Blackheart posted:

I used some cheapo Humbrol acrylics, mostly gunmetal and the other details are blue or black mixed with it too. I disassembled the head to paint the eyes piece (I guess the fig was meant to have lightpiping but it doesn't really work anyway) but man is red acrylic a bitch to apply.

It's good that you mention sealing because I've not applied anything to cover the paint and I'd like to know what products to use and if I can brush them or just buy a spray can. I've got a spray I used to seal graphite drawings (it was basically the same as hair spray), not sure if that'll do.

Brushing is fine.
I suggest you get Vallejo paints if you're going to do more. They feel a bit more expensive than the Humbrols, but the pigment density means once you've diluted what you're going to use, it'll last longer anyway.

The humbrol and vallejo seal/coats are fine. Other strong options are the Tamiyo spray clear coat, or I can recommend checking out acrylic floor waxes. Easy to brush on, usually no need to dilute, work just as well and are real cheap.
I don't know what brands are available near you, so do some googling to find something recommended.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Thank you very much, that's exactly the info I need. I'll see about the acrylic floor wax since it's also so useful for joint and pin tightening.

e: btw I did find a hobby store that sells Gundam markers recently, are they good?

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 16, 2017

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Blackheart posted:

Thank you very much, that's exactly the info I need. I'll see about the acrylic floor wax since it's also so useful for joint and pin tightening.

e: btw I did find a hobby store that sells Gundam markers recently, are they good?

Not familiar I'm afraid, so couldn't tell you.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.

Blackheart posted:

I like them for touch up work on my models.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Blackheart posted:

but man is red acrylic a bitch to apply.
Yup. Best bet is to get a nice smooth layer of white on there first and carefully build up in multiple thin layers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
Red is still a whimsical cake walk compared to yellow though, goddam.