Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

Sherlock Holmes stories have the keyfabe that Sir Doyle was Watson's literary agent and merely publishing the stories.

I assumed that Grand Order was going with that.

Not quite, though that's actually mentioned in his profile, and it's brought up in the trial quest itself. The short of it is that Mash and the protagonist ask Holmes if he is a real or fictional existence, and Holmes compares himself to all of the older servants by pointing out that all of them were legends born from writings that were created long after the heroes themselves were supposed to have existed historically, and furthermore, there is no historical evidence that he or any of them ever existed. Afterwards, he and Moriarty have a discussion wherein Moriarty points out that there is obviously evidence of the legends and the age of gods having been real, that being the materials used for ascension and skill strengthening, and Holmes pretty much says yes, but some illusions have to be maintained for humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

NRVNQSR posted:

Doesn't seem to have done Holmes or Frankenstein much harm.

edit: Batman was great in Puzzle+Dragon, I'd totally run with him in F/GO too.

Yeah but their legends are also much better known globally.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

NRVNQSR posted:

Doesn't seem to have done Holmes or Frankenstein much harm.

Or Dracula, or Carmilla...It's definitely true that as long as there is belief, there is power.

It is entirely possible that all the little kids that see Batman show up to their birthday parties and think "Holy poo poo, it's Batman!" might give Batman (Avenger) all kinds of power. Similar to Nursery Rhyme.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Goku would be the strongest avenger.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
The setting is also based on Nasuverse rather than our modern world. Supernatural monsters and magic are already real.

The throne of heroes are stored within the akashic record where all things are recorded. Counter Force tapped the record to creates human born/made being to counter against the beast of gaia.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Vengarr posted:

Or Dracula, or Carmilla...It's definitely true that as long as there is belief, there is power.

It is entirely possible that all the little kids that see Batman show up to their birthday parties and think "Holy poo poo, it's Batman!" might give Batman (Avenger) all kinds of power. Similar to Nursery Rhyme.

Well, Fran and Vlad are acknowledged to have existed in the Nasuverse. Carmilla is weirder because strictly speaking Carmilla is a fictional character in our universe with some loose inspiration from the real Elizabeth Bathory, but in the Nasuverse she's basically an Elizabeth who has completely embraced the monster she became? Or something like that, it's complicated.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Could always just use the multiverse excuse, two different versions of the same woman from two different possibilities. Kinda like Emiya Archer or the two Cus.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Welcome to saberface-verse

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Nyaa posted:

The setting is also based on Nasuverse rather than our modern world. Supernatural monsters and magic are already real.

The throne of heroes are stored within the akashic record where all things are recorded. Counter Force tapped the record to creates human born/made being to counter against the beast of gaia.

Not sure why you spoiled that, it's...not really a spoiler.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Gologle posted:

Not sure why you spoiled that, it's...not really a spoiler.
Mostly for the last three words that isn't mention in game yet.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
So maintenance is scheduled to end 1 hour after the Moon Event is suppose to start. I see NA FGO is doing it's best to keep the JP memes alive.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Argas posted:

Well, Fran and Vlad are acknowledged to have existed in the Nasuverse. Carmilla is weirder because strictly speaking Carmilla is a fictional character in our universe with some loose inspiration from the real Elizabeth Bathory, but in the Nasuverse she's basically an Elizabeth who has completely embraced the monster she became? Or something like that, it's complicated.

The Vlad who drank peoples' blood is strictly an invention. Rin even says something like "poo poo, they'll let anyone be a Heroic Spirit nowadays."

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Heroic Spirit Rich Evans.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Stairmaster posted:

Goku would be the strongest avenger.

Goku would be Ruler.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
On that note it's still bizarre to me that the Journey to the West event gave us Caster Genjo Sanzou but not Lancer Son Goku.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Gologle posted:

Heroic Spirit Rich Evans.

So would Rich Alter be plinkett or

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Vengarr posted:

The Vlad who drank peoples' blood is strictly an invention. Rin even says something like "poo poo, they'll let anyone be a Heroic Spirit nowadays."

I still think Rider Santa would be amazing and his Noble Phantasm could be the 12 days of Christmas.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Vengarr posted:

Yeah but Vladzerker is Vlad who's tapping into the Dracula legend for a power boost and other things. He's still Nasuverse's canonical Vlad Tepes.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Vengarr posted:

It's more like thanks to people associating "Dracula" with vampires the Heroic Spirit Vlad III gained a sort Noble Phantasm "Legend of Dracula" which gives him traits of a vampire. (Not Dead Apostle.)

Notably he'll only willingly use it when summoned as a Berserker.

Edit: Beaten so long ago.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
That's what I'm saying. My point is that you can summon "Dracula" even though he never existed. The Grail will give you the Servant that most matches the legend.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I am loving Saint George waaayy more than I thought I would. I am definitely going to Grail him.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Gologle posted:

I am loving Saint George waaayy more than I thought I would. I am definitely going to Grail him.

Welcome to the George Gang

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
5-Star Saber Heorge when?

Lancer would work too, sometimes Ascalon is depicted as a spear.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Vengarr posted:

That's what I'm saying. My point is that you can summon "Dracula" even though he never existed. The Grail will give you the Servant that most matches the legend.

Eh, not really. For whatever reason, they released Vlad III as a zerker tapping into the Dracula legend instead of his proper class of Lancer, which he is in Apocrypha. That's why he's Berserk Lancer in Orleans. And then they went and released Fate/Extra's Vlad III as a Lancer.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
It's worth remembering however that no matter his class his legend has still distorted him to the point where even though he is an innately noble person he looks and even behaves like a creep

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
It's the other way around. You almost can't summon Vlad as a Lancer naturally outside of Romania, because the legend of Dracula has completely overpowered the man. Berserker is his "natural" class.

Gologle posted:

It's worth remembering however that no matter his class his legend has still distorted him to the point where even though he is an innately noble person he looks and even behaves like a creep

Yeah. Elizabeth Bathory is similar, where even the non-murderess version of her still has a tail and other crazy poo poo. Innocent Monster fucks you up like crack cocaine.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Vengarr posted:

It's the other way around. You almost can't summon Vlad as a Lancer naturally outside of Romania, because the legend of Dracula has completely overpowered the man. Berserker is his "natural" class.

Yeah. Elizabeth Bathory is similar, where even the non-murderess version of her still has a tail and other crazy poo poo. Innocent Monster fucks you up like crack cocaine.

Eh, I don't recall anything noting that, just that he'd be a lot weaker outside of Romania for those reasons.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I don't think I'm going to get any more 5 stars from now on.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Argas posted:

Eh, I don't recall anything noting that, just that he'd be a lot weaker outside of Romania for those reasons.

I checked and you're right, he's normally summoned as a Lancer. Outside of Romania, he'd normally be summoned with Innocent Monster twisting him into Dracula.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
IIRC outside of Romania you're supposed to get the Vlad you see in EXTRA, the crazy bloodthirsty one. The "warrior" aspect. Apo Vlad is the "ruler" aspect.

Berserker is basically a sort of error where he comes with Legend of Dracula preactivated. If you were to force it, he'd kill you on the spot for the transgression, but since Guda did it by accident he can forgive it. Even then, simply tolerating being Dracula is completely absurd for Vlad, hence the ME EX.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Would it be possible to force an Apo Vlad summoning outside of Romania by using the correct catalyst, though

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Freak Futanari posted:

Would it be possible to force an Apo Vlad summoning outside of Romania by using the correct catalyst, though

The download is getting corrupted because of the connection, not because there's a problem with the original file.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
anyone planning to roll for the moon CEs or Orion.

I think we are close to Kintoki and Tamamo gatcha.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Tamamo is Halloween. Kintoki is indeed most likely the next banner.

Will likely do a 10 roll + a ticket and get nothing.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

EzEight posted:

anyone planning to roll for the moon CEs or Orion.

I think we are close to Kintoki and Tamamo gatcha.
Nah, Orion doesn't interest me and aren't the CEs mainly about making Dango-gathering more effective?

I intend to empty the shop of monuments and stuff and be happy with that.

Benstar
Aug 3, 2008
Got Orion, Stheno and Moony Jewel in two ten rolls.

Rip my Tamamo luck though

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Benstar posted:

Got Orion, Stheno and Moony Jewel in two ten rolls.

Rip my Tamamo luck though
More like all your luck all the way to Camelot, RIP.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Do I really have to roll to get the good CE for the event? This ain't no Kintoki gacha banner.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

Do I really have to roll to get the good CE for the event? This ain't no Kintoki gacha banner.

The good CE is the one available in the event shop; the gatcha CEs are basically all worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
You don't need them. Spam 5AP quest until 30AP quest is unlocked. Spam 30AP until you can buy Moonlight Fest from the store. Then spam 5AP until you can buy what you want from the store.

Then back to 30AP in the forlorn hope of farming Hearts.