Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Also, epoxy floors are the best. I was prepared and expected to do it to whatever house we bought down here, but the PO had the floor polished, and I've been trying to keep up the finish. It makes cleaning up oil super easy.

In the middle of reading through threads on Garage Journal but those that have epoxied floors what did you go with and how did you like it? I'm headed to the new house tomorrow afternoon (hopefully) to see if the floors are sealed or not which will somewhat influence my decision. Dad went with the Rustoleum Pro epoxy in both garages and has been very happy with it. He had to rent a grinder for the attached garage since it was sealed but he said even that wasn't too bad. Just another thing I'd like to do before we move in and start filling it with stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

NitroSpazzz posted:

In the middle of reading through threads on Garage Journal but those that have epoxied floors what did you go with and how did you like it?

I'm interested to hear empirical data on different brands of epoxies as well. One of the reasons I didn't pursue them any further, is reading through various forums made it sound like the temp differences I would experience between my garage floor and sticky tires on the Audi/BMW/Starion would result in a lot of lifted epoxy... however realistic that may be.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Sticky tires and lifting is a big concern of mine but Dad hasn't had any issues with fairly sticky tires (Dunlop Star Spec ZII) lifting even in the heat of WI summer after a hard drive. But WI summer is a lot different than TN summer.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

NitroSpazzz posted:

Sticky tires and lifting is a big concern of mine but Dad hasn't had any issues with fairly sticky tires (Dunlop Star Spec ZII) lifting even in the heat of WI summer after a hard drive. But WI summer is a lot different than TN summer.

From what I read people's concerns were with the air conditioned garages versus the 115 degree + tires disbonding the epoxy from the floor. When I read that it made enough sense for me to want to do a lot more research. In Alaska I saw a lot of formerly nice epoxy floors that were just missing the coating where the tires rode.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

This should be interesting. My epoxy guy has a 5 year warranty on his, so hopefully that doesn't happen here (Michigan).

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
The previous owner of my house painted the carport floor with this stuff, and it's coming up underneath the tires.

I'm tempted to try a different coating, but getting what's on there off first would be a major pain.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

n0tqu1tesane posted:

The previous owner of my house painted the carport floor with this stuff, and it's coming up underneath the tires.

I'm tempted to try a different coating, but getting what's on there off first would be a major pain.

Dad made sure to point out that I wanted to avoid that stuff and use the Rustoleum Pro floor coating package. Garage journal says the same thing, the regular is junk but the pro is good. With how weak that stuff is you might be able to get by with a paint stripper or something.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Would peel and stick linoleum tile be a terrible idea?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I would expect over time they would peel if you are dragging stuff and spilling crap on them.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

FatCow posted:

I'm not sure what does it, but whenever I see linoleum or vinyl tiles in a workspace, they seem to curl over time. Maybe hot cold cycles, or too much weight, or some sort of solvent reaction?

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

FatCow posted:

Just laying peel and stick wouldn't work because of the porous surface. In order to have a chance at it lasting you'd need to put down a layer of thinset concrete.

A better solution would be commercial grade rubber or linoleum, same thinset concrete base and then some scary noxious flooring glue (the kind you wear a respirator to apply without dying).

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

My absolute favourite looking floor in a garage is checkerboard white and black tile. Is that a lot more expensive, or less impact-resistant, or less resistant to oil staining or something? Because it looks loving rad and should be everywhere.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
That's about what I'm talking about. I haven't even had the lot graded yet so preparing the concrete properly isn't an issue.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
What's the new lighting hotness on a budget? Is it still twin tube Feits from Costco on sale? I'm getting a shop together and need to figure out some lighting options as the Feits rarely go on super sale.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Im trying to get everything off the floor in prep for painting it with epoxy this week, and lugging poo poo up and down the ladder is impractical.

Previously i'd used the landcruisers winch to lift my spare tyres and rims (which are 45+kg EACH) up there, like so.

So i figured i'd use that method again... With improvements!

Stupid like a fox!

Im not dumb enough to stand under the loving thing, but the two straps holding the snatch block to the roof are rated at 400kg ea, the orange straps on the board are 430kg each, the winch is good for 4100kg. The weakest parts are honestly the shed frame and the 19mm board im using!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Got the epoxy done yesterday. Can walk on it today supposedly and park cars in there in a week. Still plenty to do before that happens with getting it painted and the drywall done. (Don't judge me for my lovely large drywall gaps, first real time doing it and none of the walls are square of course. :v: ) I had to do a little patch work here and there on some areas before they coated it.

Why I had to do this in the first place :barf::

There's a large seam in the concrete going down the center of the garage that I must have tried jacking over (usually bring car to the center to do any work since it's a small 2 car garage) which cracked the tile below. It started chipping up in several places because my jack has small wheels (pressure = force/area).

Before, after asbestos tile and mastic removal. Skim coats of concrete all over the place.

Grinding:

Sneak preview:

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 24, 2017

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Must be the season for it. Im in the middle of doing the Epoxy on my workshop floor at the moment, did the pre wash, degrease wash, soap wash and acid etch today and now im trying to dry the MDF walls out so they dont explode.

That was between degreaser and truck wash. Getting the oil up was a royal BITCH.

And trying to dry it. Im using a water based epoxy paint for this and doing two coats, its good cos it doesnt try to kill you with fumes like the solvent based ones do and you dont have to have the floor 100% dry before painting it like you do with solvent based, plus you can paint it on during winter as long as its not pissing with rain and below 10 degrees- solvent epoxy needs to be warm days to cure properly.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

So! After a few weeks, the epoxy is down and hardened up nicely!

So now thats done, its time to move onto the workshop end.

Started off by painting the walls

And we got a sink for the shed to go in once i finally dig in the last 10m of sewer line!

Which brings us to today. About 5 years ago I had the chance to grab an entire library resource room full of cabinets and benching for $100, which has been sitting in my old mans shed annoying the poo poo out of him for ages. So today, we finally made use of them:

Initial layout just to see how they would fit in. At this point they're 800mm tall, which is pretty low for a work bench. So first job was to put extensions on the cupboards and then starting to lay out the bench tops and cut them down to size

Then we started to fit in the verticals to hold the benchtops up.

And where we finished tonight. Tomorrow i've gotta put the kicker boards on the open sections and start to fit in bottom shelfs to keep em nice and fixed in site and then i've gotta put backing up on the cupboards.

But whats that on the bench?

BUILT IN PARTS WASHER!

Ive stopped keeping receipts cos I dont wanna know what this has cost me so far...

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Now that is fuckin cool. Love that built in washer idea.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Of course, Ive just given myself several square meters of flat horizontal surface, and half of its already covered in poo poo :v:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Naturally. That looks great, especially the epoxy. I really wish I had the money to blast and epoxy mine when we moved in, but alas.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 13, 2017

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Curious what people did for lighting in their shops and garages. We'll be moving into the new place this weekend and one of my first garage projects will be lighting. Right now the garage (22x27 deep) has one light bulb plus the lights on the garage door opener...not nearly enough. One side will be used for wife to park so not a ton of light needed there but other side will be for working on stuff as well as tool box and work bench.

The unfinished basement is 24x31 deep and will be primarily used for storage, also lit by a single bulb right now. Not sure how much light I actually need back here since it'll be 95% storing cars and spares but one bulb is not going to cut it.

Some good reading in these threads:
best light fixtures - https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278420
lighting layout - https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289441

Another tool to play around with - http://www.visual-3d.com/tools/interior/default.aspx?id=14782

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Aug 16, 2017

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I made my garage problem even worse.

Back bumper clears the garage door by about 1/2" if I have the front license plate touching my toolbox.

I'm still trying to figure out which way I want to go here. As it sits I might be able to give myself another inch lengthwise, which would at least mean I could get the car in and close the door without the nose of the car touching the toolbox. The Speed3 normally is street parked so as long as I can re-arrange when I want to put it in the garage I'll be decent. Otherwise, if I sell the motorcycle and rotate where the toolbox and shelving goes I'd have plenty of room lengthwise and actually be able to get into my toolbox. Anyone have any clever solutions? Unfortunately I can't get a motorcycle into my backyard or anything, it's the garage or nothing.

Otherwise for now I'm going to get a grip of linkable LED lights (any particular recs there?) an extra thing of outlets with USB charging for my helmet cam and bicycle lights, and maybe a new garage door opener whenever someone comes out with one that supports HomeKit.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
No idea how the garage and surroundings look, but maybe extend or build a bigger one? I'd be insanely nervous to ding something every time I went in there / parked the car.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

NitroSpazzz posted:

Curious what people did for lighting in their shops and garages. We'll be moving into the new place this weekend and one of my first garage projects will be lighting. Right now the garage (22x27 deep) has one light bulb plus the lights on the garage door opener...not nearly enough. One side will be used for wife to park so not a ton of light needed there but other side will be for working on stuff as well as tool box and work bench.

The unfinished basement is 24x31 deep and will be primarily used for storage, also lit by a single bulb right now. Not sure how much light I actually need back here since it'll be 95% storing cars and spares but one bulb is not going to cut it.

Some good reading in these threads:
best light fixtures - https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278420
lighting layout - https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289441

Another tool to play around with - http://www.visual-3d.com/tools/interior/default.aspx?id=14782
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191336

I bought t8 fixtures from dealers electric, and loaded then up into two banks. With one on, it's workable, and both is really bright. These days, I'd go LED, and did just that in my basement shop. I used 4ft LED fixtures from home Depot plus track lighting with LED bulbs for task lighting.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Aug 17, 2017

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

MrOnBicycle posted:

No idea how the garage and surroundings look, but maybe extend or build a bigger one? I'd be insanely nervous to ding something every time I went in there / parked the car.

House is built into a hill and already takes up a large percentage of a small lot. Nothing I can do until an earthquake knocks it all down and I can start fresh.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

House is built into a hill and already takes up a large percentage of a small lot. Nothing I can do until an earthquake knocks it all down and I can start fresh.

You mean building a floating garage on the ocean?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I've got big pierlite LED Battens in the main area of the shed- 40w each and 3300 lumens a piece.

Under the mezzanine I'm running a set of 6 9w LED downlights and that's more than enough for that area

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Larrymer posted:

Got the asbestos tile removed from my garage floor today. Only it wasn't everywhere in the garage and there are random concrete patches.

Before:

After:

Going to see an epoxy guy soon and see what can be done. Hopefully it's salvageable.

The layout is essentially unchanged, here's the final result.

I'm pretty happy with the final result. I'm not proud of the lovely drywall work I did and the fact that the paint is really only primer at this point (had to get everything back in there this weekend), but I keep telling myself "it's just a garage." I finally put up the white board that's been sitting for years and hung a couple flags (not pictured) on the left wall looking in. With all that poo poo in there and I can still fit in 2 cars (22x20ish I think), which pleases me.

This will be the last time it is clean and organized. :shepicide:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Ive been busy again. And im broke again now too...

Got my vices mounted up. Fuckarsed around for ages doing it but the rear jaws are now aligned so you can put a long piece of material in there and clamp it up without distorting it

Got my oils storage sorted- 4x 20L drums, the pressure sprayer I use to fill gearboxes and diffs, jug and funnel and a random assortment of 4 and 5L bottles fit nicely.

And built some drawers!

The left side drawers are deep enough to keep spray cans in vertically, which was a cool coincidence!

Although without the caps I have NFI what half of them are from the top. Their storage may change.

And then on the right side theres another set of drawers. The top two shallow drawers are going to get dividers put into them so I can divide them up and they'll be for bolt storage, with bolts stored by size and thread pitch and nuts and washers stored separately.

All up, its a shitload of storage room!

My mate pointed out that i have more drawers now than his kitchen...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I put all my cans on really shallow shelves. makes it quick to just walk up and grab what you need, even when nothing has caps.

Also, i'm loving the empty beer bottles slowly congregating as the work progresses.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Not much new with the garage. I got a refridgerator, but no I haven't found a good place to put it.

Bought a new motor for the frankengrinder I got at an auction:

Changed the radiator and fuel pump on MY GIRLFRIENDS S6:

And I finally hung up one of the essentials in a garage (NSFW):
http://i.imgur.com/nNGfqK8.png

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but any recommendations for getting an oil stain out of concrete? My movers truck had an oil leak and didn't notice it until after they left and it dripped on the new, unsealed in any way driveway. Am I screwed? I heard someone say dumping copious amounts of solvent (IE: Gas) works, but I don't think dumping a massive amount of gas on it is a great idea.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but any recommendations for getting an oil stain out of concrete? My movers truck had an oil leak and didn't notice it until after they left and it dripped on the new, unsealed in any way driveway. Am I screwed? I heard someone say dumping copious amounts of solvent (IE: Gas) works, but I don't think dumping a massive amount of gas on it is a great idea.

The Oil Lift stuff that they have at Can Tire has done really well for me in lifting oil stains from my ancient driveway, but so has Spray Nine.

Still haven't found anything that gets the enormous rust spots out though.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

slidebite posted:

I had an unsealed concrete garage in Alaska, and spent a winter rebuilding/swapping 302's into gen 2 ford vans, and wrecked the floor in the process.
Before I sold the house I used a bunch of this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Purple-P...7&wl13=&veh=sem
and some stiff bristle brushes and water and it made the floor look new again.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

My garage is from 48 and has the original concrete slab in it still. It's solid and not cracked but it's very very spalled. Like, marble size chunks spalled out from almost 80 upstate NY winters. Could...could I just pour a ton of that concrete self leveling stuff over it to fill the holes and make it smooth and nice again? Would I be able to park a car on it after?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Not sure how well it would and adhere down in the low spots unless it's prepped somehow and since it's a very thin skim coat. Since I coated mine with epoxy afterward, I used this stuff to fill in the spalled/low areas which came recommended on garage journal.

http://www.legacyindustrial.net/products/concrete-repair/hd-110-epoxy-concrete-patch.html

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The Oil Lift stuff that they have at Can Tire has done really well for me in lifting oil stains from my ancient driveway, but so has Spray Nine.

Still haven't found anything that gets the enormous rust spots out though.

The only thing that can remove that rust spot from your driveway is a tow truck from the kidney foundation.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

The only thing that can remove that rust spot from your driveway is a tow truck from the kidney foundation.

You're going to need to be more specific with this insult. Which one of the three rusting, near-death cars in my driveway are you talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Anyone had issues getting approval to build something on a residential lot? Looking into buying and would to build something for a couple of cars/gardening equipment.