Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

DoctorWhat posted:

Does anyone know where I can find Giant Rings in Metallic Madness Zone? I only need one more emerald and I'd like to get it before too long!

There's a real easy one in Act 1, when you first get thrown into the background, ignore the first two things that toss you back into the foreground and use the last one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

MarkeyJester is never gonna stop making weird and cool Sonic romhacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBxtkAacbYM

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
How do clear saves work? Is it possible to go back and track down the emeralds I never got so I can unlock the true ending? Do the giant rings I've already found come back?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yes and yes. You can just grind the GHZ 1 ring forever if you like, although I find it more fun to re-explore the stages to try and find them.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

CandyCrazy posted:

In Press Garden Zone Act 1, get to the spinning cylinder, and drop down. Turn left to go through a brief area that leads to a Giant Ring. It generally took me 20-30 seconds to get there per attempt.

THANK YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

absolutely anything posted:

There's a real easy one in Act 1, when you first get thrown into the background, ignore the first two things that toss you back into the foreground and use the last one.

Thanks dude! That one did it. Got 'em all now!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I mean it has a entirely different vibe to it but man I think the new final boss theme outclasses doomsday. It's so loving good

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Gammatron 64 posted:

Saying that only hedgehogs can go Super and trying to make Shadow into some kind of badass (lol) is so strange

Mainly because hedgehogs aren't exactly fierce, scary animals. Not unless you're an insect or a tiny lizard or something.

I dunno, the character that can, at a whim, turn himself into a sixty pound, bladed bowling ball that can carve through plate steel at mach 1 seems pretty fierce to me.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I mean it has a entirely different vibe to it but man I think the new final boss theme outclasses doomsday. It's so loving good

It's literally a remix of Fist Bump, the vocal theme for Sonic Forces. There's some Kirby-grade Lore poo poo going on![/spoiler]

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The new Super theme is so aggressively triumphant I love it. I also love that it isn't a 5 second loop.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Enable & Knuckles mode then level select to the true final boss as knuckles for a hidden ending :allears: It's worth it.

:allears:

Someone please screencap this in 4k

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Kurieg posted:

The new Super theme is so aggressively triumphant I love it. I also love that it isn't a 5 second loop.

I kinda wish it would just do the Speed Shoes treatment to the existing level theme but it's still a huge improvement over the 3K loop.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

DoctorWhat posted:

It's literally a remix of Fist Bump, the vocal theme for Sonic Forces. There's some Kirby-grade Lore poo poo going on![/spoiler]

I actually saw someone raving about it before someone pointed out where it came from/what it was a remix of.

Their response was "Oh, well I don't like it anymore."

This fandom is going to eat itself.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

It feels good to be solidly in the middle of the sonic fanbase and loving both styles of games. I tell you what

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Beat the game for the first time tonight. Metal Madness does a great job of being "that loving mechanical zone" that you hate, perfect callback to S1 and 2. I thought TMZ was OK, but the crushing deaths were loving obnoxious. It's like they know that's the only way they'll kill the player, so they added in a ton of them. I ended up clearing just under 3/4 of the blue sphere stages in my single play through, almost all of them Perfect. I enjoy those things. Going to start another play through soon and try to get good at this game. It deserves it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Crushing deaths wouldn't be so obnoxious if they had fixed the 25-year-old uncrushing death bugs!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

DoctorWhat posted:

Crushing deaths wouldn't be so obnoxious if they had fixed the 25-year-old uncrushing death bugs!

Are you guys referring to those bullet shaped up/down platforms?

I kept dying when trying to walk between them; turns out jumping is the way. If you look closely they have conveyor belt surfaces that hold you in place. :argh:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Are you guys referring to those bullet shaped up/down platforms?

I kept dying when trying to walk between them; turns out jumping is the way. If you look closely they have conveyor belt surfaces that hold you in place. :argh:

Any of them I died twice to the platforms on Chemical Plant Zone where the water rises.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Three game overs on Mirage saloon act 1. What a whore of an act, since spin dash is so flaky.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Nice review of Mania at the Onion AV Club.

http://www.avclub.com/review/90s-are-alive-and-better-ever-sonic-mania-259467

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

School Nickname posted:

Three game overs on Mirage saloon act 1. What a whore of an act, since spin dash is so flaky.

yeah just dont use it. that level is the only stain on this otherwise beautiful game.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

School Nickname posted:

Three game overs on Mirage saloon act 1. What a whore of a level, since spin dash is so flaky.

Yeah, you can only briefly tap spin dash once. Otherwise you'll fly right off.

Hurts 2B fast.

anime was right posted:

yeah just dont use it. that level is the only stain on this otherwise beautiful game.

MS2 is pretty loving great though, almost too short.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Any of them I died twice to the platforms on Chemical Plant Zone where the water rises.

Those hit boxes are right hosed

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Electric Phantasm posted:

theres literally a checkpoint where if you hold right you straight up die by pixel crush death lol

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

By "uncrushing" i mean getting caught by a crusher as it opens up and you barely fit in and then you die even though it's opening up.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

It's so weird how insanely bad Hydrocity 1's level design is and how insanely good Hydrocity 2's is. Like even the bosses, H1's is awful and H2's is amazing.

It's almost like with H1 the devs are saying "see? this is how it all could've turned out, but we wouldn't do you like that"

Also, holy poo poo Mirage Saloon with Knux :yeah:

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I finished this today with a Sonic only run so here's what I think: I like it. The challenge is pretty fair, starts out easy and ramps it up. The final zone has some annoying enemy placements but the old games did too. One thing I didn't like about some of the acts, the final two in particular, is that the levels are just so huge I end up getting a time out and I think that's dumb. I guess I could trim it down once I learn where everything is but it sucks I can't explore without running out of time. Also blue sphere is bad and I can't wait until I unlock everything so I don't have to do it anymore. Special stages are really good though.

Overall I really like it, the old zones are fun, the new ones are good, and I wish I could play with the sonic 3 flash attack instead of drop dash and still save my game. Weird that I cannot.

And about the bosses, I heard a lot of mess about them but they weren't hard or bad? The only ones that gave me some issue is Stardust Speedway act 2 and Green Hill act 2 but that one only because I thought I had to avoid it until the actual boss started. Nope.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I really wish I could use both the Sonic 3 Insta-Shield AND the drop dash instead of having to choose between the two. I was hoping all gold medals would give you this but I guess not.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

well, I mean.

They activate with the same button.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

I really wish I could use both the Sonic 3 Insta-Shield AND the drop dash instead of having to choose between the two. I was hoping all gold medals would give you this but I guess not.

wait for the pc "full control" mod

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

im sad that i cant play this game

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Stairmaster posted:

im sad that i cant play this game

*staring longingly at my steam key card while I pet my Sonic statue*

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

*In extremely gabe newell's voice*

My favorite zone was the Flying Battery

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
So I decided to play Sonic CD for the very first time without reading any manual or watching a tutorial. I HATE THIS GAME, WACKY WORKBENCH UGHHHHHHHH. Then I decided to google how to get a good future and then OH! This game is about exploring!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Beat the game in one sitting without all the chaos emeralds. I'm guessing there's a real final zone if you have them all.

Thoughts: Game's difficulty curve and level design feels more like Sonic 3&K and not 1 or 2 or CD. This is a good thing. Bosses are fun and the music is fantastic. Maybe I got lucky but the game feels way less pit heavy than the Genesis games. Still plenty of easy crush deaths though.:v:

My only real gripe is some of the remixed zones don't feel that remixed, even in their second acts. Maybe it's because I just played through Sonic 3 Complete but some of the remixed zones that are from that almost felt like straight remakes. I also kinda wish Sonic 1 got a second remixed stage.

Why can't I use the drop dash, super peel out and the insta shield all at the same time?:smith:

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 17, 2017

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Beat the game yesterday with only 4 chaos emeralds as Sonic alone. Went back and got the rest today, then beat the game again and got the secret ending. drat, what a good game. The music's good, the levels are good, the bosses are good. My only real complaint is that there isn't MORE. Also as much as I love blue spheres and have every stage from S3K burned into my brain, they're kindof weird as the bonus stage.

I still need to get all the emeralds and beat it as every other character like I did in S3K (and then endlessly steamroll the game with super characters), and I am absolutely looking forward to it. The bosses in this game are really fun to fight, especially since you can't just kill all of them in like 5 seconds like most other Genesis-era bosses.

Favorite zone: Studiopolis, act 1 has the best music and both of the bosses and stage gimmicks are some of my favorite things in the game.
Least favorite zone: Press Garden or maybe Titanic Monarch, first one just seemed like a low point of the game after a long string of highs, not that I don't like it, and the 2nd one felt more like if you tried to make Carnival Night the final zone. Still not sure how I feel about it, really. Though the true final boss is amazing, so I think that made up for it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Oh hey there's a thread for this, rad.

Finished with the emeralds last night and all I can say is :allears:, even if the first section of Mirage Saloon was a blight on everything because apparently being anywhere near the bottom right of the screen when the train starts to scroll Just Kills You or something

I think I cheesed some of the bosses though-- Lava Reef 2 I ended up just treating like Big Arm from Sonic 3, where I'd just wait for him to drive by and just jump at the right height to hit him under his attack hitbox, but the way he was running around made me think there was something I had to do with the flame jets? :shrug:

That said, pretty much every robotnik boss was fantastic in "I can't believe they're doing this callback" way. Between the Bean Machine and Hydrocity Zone, :allears:

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Oh hey uhh--plot...question??? Endgame spoilers obviously

So...after S3K, Sonic and Tails come back to Angel Island and the Heavies have unearthed...a Time Stone? Or something? It looks like it bends time and space since it warps you to Green Hill from Angel Island, and then eventually you end up on Little Planet (past), end up going to the future (aka the present, Stardust Speedway Act 2 is definitely Present, not Good/Bad Future), and then you fight all the Heavies, and fight the last Heavy while Robotnik and it fight over the purple time stone...infinity stone maybe...thing? And then Sonic wins and probably gets warped to Sonic Forces maybe?

Am I the only one that cares/is thinking about this? I always really liked how S3K told its story without any words, and this one is no different, albeit maybe a little less straightforward than "Knuckles got tricked, Eggman stole the Master Emerald, go get it back"

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I think I cheesed some of the bosses though-- Lava Reef 2 I ended up just treating like Big Arm from Sonic 3, where I'd just wait for him to drive by and just jump at the right height to hit him under his attack hitbox, but the way he was running around made me think there was something I had to do with the flame jets? :shrug:

Don't think that was cheesing. That's exactly what I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Went back and got all the gold coins in Blue Spheres today. Had 14 silvers by the time I beat them all originally. That 4 sphere; 16 rings stage is a bastard to figure out. I had to use unintended things to get it finished. At the end of my third playthrough now. Knuckles was very good. Anyway that my sonic mania story, thanks for reading.