Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

FPzero posted:

Hopefully that answers a few questions about Chapter 3's inadequecies. I'm not looking to stifle any discussion that might have popped up post-trial about this topic. I just felt it was important to explain what I know as best I could to try and help set the record straight. If anyone knows any more about this topic, feel free to tell me so I can make corrections. Just, if it has spoilers in it such as who was originally planned to live or die, please PM it to me instead and I'll try and find a way to incorporate it without the spoilers. And if it turns out that none of this is true, then shame on me for believing the internet.

What you said is true. It was explicitly stated in an interview that it was changed and explains why (which is spoilers). I'm going to PM you the interview so you can mention it when the time is right.

Edit:
Well, I thought I heard it in an interview. I PMed what seemed like the original English source for the stuff.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

eating only apples posted:

Hiyoko is great, I'm sad she ended up dying here.

You're weird.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

FPzero posted:

Trial 3 Addendum

As many of you have probably noticed by now, Trial 3...had a few issues surrounding it. Unlike most of the other trials in both this game and its predecessor, Trial 3 actually has some pretty big plotholes, or at least totally unexplained elements, in it.
1) Where did Mikan put all the stuff she used to stage the hanging?
2) How did she blow the candle out while on the stepladder without showing Hajime her face?
3) How did she clean up the scene fast and thoroughly enough to still meet Fuyuhiko and then go tamper with the crime scene and then go meet Hajime at the motel?
4) When was Ibuki killed? When was Hiyoko killed? If Ibuki was killed around midnight, why was Hiyoko coming to the music venue to tie up her sash? If Ibuki was killed around dawn, why was Hiyoko coming to music venue to tie up her sash at such an early, pre-Monokuma announcement hour?
5) How was Hiyoko actually killed?
6) If the video feed is so bad with the candlelight, how can Hajime be certain there is no bloodstain on the stepladder?

There are so many elements surrounding the case that just plain aren't explained despite the long back-and-forth of the trial. How Hiyoko died especially bugs me because all we know is that her neck was slit somehow but we have no evidence of a weapon or anything. The whole setup feels a little...unfinished.

Surprisingly I only have problems with certain of these.
1) My best guess is that she put them in the on-call room next to the conference room, behind all the junk. Alternatively, in Ibuki's room under the bed might be another answer. However, "under the bed" feels really sloppy and easily discovered. So for the on-call room to be a good hiding place, she would need to have to move the junk out of the way (this part could be done ahead of time in the middle of the night, I suppose), hide the stuff, then shove the junk back in the way to keep people from being able to snoop.

2) I think the implication is that the candle went out all on its own because it had burned all the way down. However, I have absolutely no idea how Mikan managed to time that. It would require a lot of practice. When did she do that, especially if she wasn't sick at first?

3) No idea. This is my big complaint. Take the lists of tasks which each of them has to do once Hajime watches the video, then cross off "run to the music venue" and "run to the motel" from both lists, because they both had to do that and they both ran at full speed. You'll see a huge difference in the amount of things Mikan needed to do compared to Hajime, whose list is literally: "Open the door to the music venue and stare inside for about 10 seconds" and "talk to people in front of the motel for about a minute or two."

4) This one I think was already answered. She went to the place probably late at night to practice tying her sash. Killing Ibuki late gives Mikan more time to set everything up, so it was probably around midnight.

5) Since Ibuki was already alive, Hiyoko probably wouldn't have run away instantly, and probably let Mikan get close, not seeing her as anything more than the weak, non-threatening target for abuse. I'm sure a scalpel could be easily obtained in the hospital and Mikan probably had one with her just in case. It's easily concealed in a hand, and easily hidden in the hospital later.

6) Probably because it was still a reasonably acceptable light to see, and blood stains would show up well enough in their actual crimson instead of pink-for-ratings-reasons against the yellow of the stepladder.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

alcharagia posted:

You're weird.

The most fun of a bad bunch

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

2) I think the implication is that the candle went out all on its own because it had burned all the way down. However, I have absolutely no idea how Mikan managed to time that. It would require a lot of practice. When did she do that, especially if she wasn't sick at first?

There was a burnt out candlestick at the crime scene. Assuming that it was set up there before Hajime arrived (likely, in case he looked around before he left), then she could have learned the timing for it to burn out to burning the one at the crime scene. After that, since she was the one who woke Hajime up, she would know how much time between when she lit the candle and when she would wake up Hajime, so that it would burn out at the right time.

It's insane that she could be that precise, but who knows, maybe she trained to become super-precise with timing during the gap in everyone's memories :shrug:.

Edit:

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

...Or the crime scene candle was a decoy or from one of the practice runs.

I thought that`s what I implied, but since I didn`t seem to get that across, yes, that`s what I thought.

BlazeEmblem fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 14, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

BlazeEmblem posted:

There was a burnt out candlestick at the crime scene. Assuming that it was set up there before Hajime arrived (likely, in case he looked around before he left), then she could have learned the timing for it to burn out to burning the one at the crime scene. After that, since she was the one who woke Hajime up, she would know how much time between when she lit the candle and when she would wake up Hajime, so that it would burn out at the right time.

It's insane that she could be that precise, but who knows, maybe she trained to become super-precise with timing during the gap in everyone's memories :shrug:.

...Or the crime scene candle was a decoy or from one of the practice runs. I imagine the actual candle used in the video was just a stub with very little candle left. I really don't think lighting it before going to wake up Hajime and having it burn for 20 minutes is the best way to do that.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

BlazeEmblem posted:

Honestly very precise timing seems like something the Ultimate Nurse would have, if we assume Mikan's clumsiness is actually her own actions and not actual clumsiness she suddenly becomes very impressive at precise timing and precise movements, which makes sense for an Ultimate Nurse.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Would it be out of Monokuma's character to hide the mess in the conference room to make the trial more interesting? Or for Monomi to go "Awwwwww those silly kids left suuuuuuuch a mess here I'm gonna clean that riiiight up".

(Yes it would be, but because in a very indirect way, Monokuma represents the game story writers who want to keep the story flowing, this would be a semi-accurate in-game description of the rewrite.)

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Carbon dioxide posted:

Would it be out of Monokuma's character to hide the mess in the conference room to make the trial more interesting? Or for Monomi to go "Awwwwww those silly kids left suuuuuuuch a mess here I'm gonna clean that riiiight up".

(Yes it would be, but because in a very indirect way, Monokuma represents the game story writers who want to keep the story flowing, this would be a semi-accurate in-game description of the rewrite.)

Monokuma historically hasn't interfered with the cases. The only way he tends to meddle is when the death announcement happens (there was a case that depended on whether the killer counts as one of the three) and by omitting information from the Monokuma file (like time of death and method of death).

He likes a nice honest attempt to determine which of the people you thought you trusted is a murderer.

Oh and I think he hid a suicide note, which isn't really consistent with the rest of his behavior. But it would have made the case very simple.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
He didn't just hide it; he completely made one up and made fun of Asahina for falling for it. (He didn't even sign it.)

This was also about the point where Junko was starting to realize she was hosed and started breaking her own rules.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I always kind of thought the "candle" wasn't actually a candle but the flickering light of the projector from the conference room. But there's nothing in the game to actually suggest that other than the projector's existence.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Magical Miracle Girl ★ Monomi

: Waaaaaaaaaay back in Chapter 2...

: Um... Were you in the middle of something? If so, I can just come back later...
: Then leave.
: Kyaa! At least ask me to leave kindly!
: Ah, before you leave, I want to ask you something. Did you have anything to do with the disappearing Monobeast?
: Ah, yes! That's right!

: Tadaaaaa! I'm the one who defeated that Monobeast!
: Defeating a monster like that... How the hell did someone like you pull that off?
: I'll talk about that in more detail in a different mode. Anyway, I've released the bridge gate for you all!

: I've been putting this off for...some reason. Don't know why exactly. Anyway, after you beat Trial 1, this option will become available in the Main Menu. What is it?

: Magical Miracle Girl ★ Monomi (or Magical Girl Miracle ★ Monomi, the game can't seem to make up its mind) is a bonus mode in which you can play as Monomi and fight the Monobeasts. It's just here to provide context for how she can beat them. Spoilers: Turns out the Monobeasts are pretty pathetic.

: What isn't spoilers is my opinion of this mode. I...don't like it very much. It's decidedly average.

: There are six stages to match the five Monobeasts. Yes that doesn't make sense but I literally didn't remember there were six stages until I looked at the screenshot above. Maybe you get into a slapfight with Monokuma at the end, I can't remember. I played this mode once-through the first time I unlocked it and then never touched it again except to take these pictures seven months ago. This probably won't be my finest update.
: Stages unlock as you progress through the mains story. Since these images were taken back when we were in Chapter 2, only Stage 1 is available. If I were capturing these screens today, Stages 2 and 3 would also be available.

: Some controls since this is actually an action game of sorts.

: Each stage has difficulty modes as well. There's no real point to them other than score and maybe what equipment might unlock.

: So the game plays from the 3/4 perspective. You, as Monomi, have to beat up a bunch of these cute little enemies in successive waves. There's also a timer but it's never a problem since it counts down 999 real seconds and can be increased.

: You do that by holding down the X button to Run and draw rainbow circles around enemies. Don't hold down the button for too long though--after a time, Monomi will get tired and not be able to move for a couple seconds. Yellow critters basically do nothing other than walk towards you.

: A completed circle will damage or defeat enemies stuck inside. Defeated enemies will drop gold bars, timer increases and occasionally presents. Not presents used for Free Time Events, instead they give you Equipment drops for this mode.

: By the way the circle is not solid, so enemies can walk in and out of it while you're drawing it. It also starts disappearing after a couple seconds so you can't make huge circles. The Combo meter in the bottomright only contributes to extra point multipliers.

: You can also jump on enemies. I don't think it does anything other than stun them in place.

: Sometimes your circle will sprout a tree or a drill. I don't know what causes it or if they do extra damage.
: (By the way is anyone else weirded out by the red blood in this mode? I know I am since it's pink everywhere else...)

: You can take damage. Health is in the upper left and is just represented by how full the Heart is. Some enemies will drop health cookies.

: Blue critters have a basic slow-moving projectile attack. The red critters have a short-range lunge attack.

: Here's one of the presents that can drop randomly.

: It'll tell you what you received, but you can't change equipment mid-stage.

: Finally, after seven waves the Boss will appear. It's always the Monobeast that would be guarding the next Chapter's island gate.

: Each boss has a different attack pattern. This one is pretty simple. It runs around relatively quickly and tries to rocket lunge you.

: However, we've been holding back a secret trick to use against it. When that bottom left meter is at 100%, you can press RB to transform into Usami.

: As Usami, you get a speed and attack boost.

: However it also lasts like, 10 seconds at max. I guess it's not particularly hard to build up that meter though so you can use it a ton in the actual wave fighting.

: Anyway, after a number of hits against it, the boss goes down.

: Getting a high score is just for bragging rights.

: The last thing I'll look at is the Equipment.

: There are three categories of equipment: Stick, Ribbon and Diaper.

: To be honest, I'm not sure what the difference between the Magic Power and Strength stats are, unless Strength is Max HP or something. Equipment drops are kind of rare in this mode. I recall only getting around one per stage and it wasn't too difficult to beat all the stages with near-starting equipment. If for some reason you really like this mode, you can try and get all the pieces of equipment for a trophy/achievement!

: So that's Monomi mode. The stages do get harder and the bosses more complicated, but I seem to recall just getting totally annoyed by certain enemies that felt like they took longer to defeat than the boss at times. Maybe I was under-equipped. All in all, it's a random bonus extra that doesn't hurt the game with its inclusion, but it is kinda boring in my opinion. I doubt I'll do another update on it because aside from the new enemies and bosses, there's really nothing else to add to what I've said here.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The person who was weirded out by Monomi's diaper is going to repress the memory of this minigame, I imagine.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

FPzero posted:

: (By the way is anyone else weirded out by the red blood in this mode? I know I am since it's pink everywhere else...)

Fun fact: despite what Orenronen said in the original LP, the blood isn't pink because of ratings. It is a deliberate chosen style. Here is the relevant text from an interview:

Kadoka posted:

Interviewer: On that point, so much of the game is stylized, but I'm still curious if the hot pink blood in Danganronpa was incorporated to get a lower rating.

Kadoka: If you try to make a horror game, you're not going to beat Dead Space, so why try? Rather than that, why not create your own new genre? I call it "psychopop." And if it's your own genre, there's no one to compete against, so you're automatically at the top! The idea of "psychopop" is that things are gruesome and horrific, but there's this pop twist to it: the visual flair. The reason why Danganronpa's blood isn't red is because of "psychopop" itself.

The interview was written during the production of Despair Girls, so it may have some indirect spoilers, so I'm not going to link to it.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I was really bad at this minigame. Really, really bad.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

You jump because you can land on enemies for an alternate source of damage. Some enemies aren't affected by Monomi's rainbow circles until you remove their armor by jumping on them. Due to the camera angles, it is really hard to actually hit anything by doing this, though.

There are also two trophies associated with this minigame. One for clearing all of the stages (and yes, Monokuma is the boss of the last stage), and one for getting all of the equipment. As you can imagine, the last one is absolute hell.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

We were hoping things would progress smoothly. That's right. A common, ordinary progression would've been just fine... Like, for example... The enemy's lair crumbling right after you defeat the final boss, or your dead friend suddenly reappearing...

It would've been just fine if things had progressed like that. That's the kind of old-school progression we were hoping for...

Not...this unreasonable turn of events.

: The name's NEKOMARU NIDAI!!! I've been reborn in the rivers of hellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll!!!
: N-Nekomaru...? Is that you...?
: Gahaha! No matter how you look at it, I'm still me!
: No matter how we look at it...this isn't you at all...!

: Jeez, you guys are a strange lot. You all have such big, wide eyes...
: Oh, perhaps you've all fallen in love with this metallic body of mine!?
: Gahahahaaaa!!! I already know what you want to say just by looking in your eyes! Then again, I am a former team manager!
: Kyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

: Ngh...what happened? You look like you've seen a ghost or something!
: Hey man...don't go scaring Miss Sonia with that strange-rear end mask...

As he raised his stammering voice, Kazuichi grabbed on to Nekomaru's head and...

: C'mon, take it off!
: Ow...ow ow ow ow... S-Stop it...

: STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPP IIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTT!!!
: H-Huh...? Why won't it come off...? Wait...what? Are you friggin' kidding me?

: HOLY CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP! IT'S NOT JUST FOR SHOW!
: It's not just for show, it's PURE ELECTRICITY! I've been reborn as PURE ELECTRICITY!
: GAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
: ...If...you're seriously Nekomaru...
: That's...my fault, right...? You ended up gettin' a body like that, and it's all my fault, right...?

: S-Sorry, Nekomaru... I...I don't know how to apologize for this...
: Gahahaha! Don't worry about it! A lot of stuff happens when you're alive!
: You're too upbeat! Is this really okay!?
: If you keep sweating the small stuff, you're going to end up getting more grey hairs!
: C-Commenting on every little thing he does is a waste of time...!

: B-But...you're really Nekomaru, right? You...came back for us, right?
: That's right! I've resurrected from the depths of hell in shining silverrrrrrrr!
: How...are you even okay with that...? It doesn't even compare...to my eyepatch... How...can you accept that body...?

Music cuts out.

: It's better to just be alive!
: ...Huh?

: It's better to just be alive... Hey, don't you agree? If I'm alive, I can still talk to you all. If I'm alive, I can still fight...
: It doesn't matter what happens to my body! Not one bit!
: Y-You're amazing...! Nekomaru is brimming with hope...!

It's better to just be alive... I do understand what Nekomaru is saying but... No matter how we make sense of this... It's just too weird... This isn't a novel or a movie. This is reality. Can something this unexplainable really be allowed to happen? No, instead... Why did this happen?

: Anyway, I'm glad...that's fine, right? Right? Nekomaru definitely came back to us...

: My, my? Am I interrupting your touching reunion?

: Ha-wa-wa-wa!?
: Kyaaaaa! Why is Nekomaru a robot!?
: Unfortunately, it was truly difficult to save Nekomaru from the jaws of death... But they don't call me the Psychopop Magician for nothing!
: Oh my goodness! Such a wonderful Before-and-After has occurred!
: It appears to be a little too dramatic! Thanks to that, I'm getting stabbed by all these envious stares!

: Hey...if you're really robot, what's going on with your thought process? Is that a program, too...? Then...what happened to the other stuff, like your self-awareness and--?
: Fool! How many times do I have to tell you that it doesn't matter! No matter what shape or form I take, I AM NEKOMARU NIDAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!

Is he...? Is he going to power through the rest of his life with his new abilities!?

: Th-That kind of reaction... It looks like you really are self-aware...

: That means this technology is insane! I've never seen or heard of anything like this before!
: What the commoner considers advanced is not much of an advancement. If you think advancements exist in college and laboratories, that's a huge misunderstanding!
: The real advancements exist...in the place where you can pass on that talent.
: A-And you're saying that's you? Were you...really that amazing?
: Stop admiring him...

: You stupid stuffed toy! Don't go screwin' with people's bodies like that!
: H-Hold on...if you harm Monokuma, you're going to...
: Puhuhu, you intend to defy me yet again? You're quite the barbarian...

Music cuts out.

: Jeez. This time, you will definitely fall prey to my Monokuma Bazooka!

Once again...the world shook and turned stark white... As if the surrounding environment and all sound was blown away by the impact...

...Turning everything completely white.

And within that whiteness...I heard that voice yet again.

: Ah...ah...

: N-Nekomaru!

: Gahahaha! That didn't faze me at allllll!!! Check it out, I'm intact! I have no injuries at allllllllllllllll!

: Are you loving serious? He took that blast and doesn't even have a single scratch...
: A-Awesome... He's...seriously a real robot!
: Hey, can you let me disassemble you!? Can you let me disassemble you and show me your insides!?
: NOOOOOOOOO THAAAAAAAAANK YOUUUUUUUUU!

: If I get disassembled, I'll end up dying!
: Ah, I suppose I should fill you in... Even though he's a robot now, if Nekomaru is killed, it's still going to count as murder, okay?
: Of course...it's possibly that Nekomaru might kill someone instead.
: Don't say such foolish things! That will never happen!
: Well, with all that in mind, you guys enjoy the killing school trip together!
: Once again, I hope we can all get along!
: ...

: It's impossible... It's gonna be a while before I can mentally process this...
: Um...will Nekomaru never return to his original form...?
: If that is the case...it is a burden for Nekomaru!
: Hey, hey...it's not like I came back as a monster. I'm just a robot now, you know?
: I'm sorry...I can't really see a difference.

: Well, just consider this a little promotion. By making a robot one of the main characters, a genuine mystery is transformed into a sci-fi mystery...
: And the hard-boiled is transformed into cyberpunk!
: You're totally destroying the genres!
: Oh well, who cares!? As long as it's fun, it's totally fine!
: Ahhhhhh-hahahahaha!

As I listened to Monokuma's boisterous laugh, once again I was forced to accept... This island is not the day-to-day world I know. It's a mad world where the strange is accepted as normal. Causes, reasoning, circumstances, foreshadowing... These things don't apply here at all.

...That's what it means to live in a mad world.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Of course once the shock wears off Souda is completely geeking out over Robomaru.

And glad to see a robot body doesn't change him one iota.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Well, at least the characters in-game also recognize that this is totally loving insane and should be impossible.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

I get that the title is based off of the book "Do Androids dream of electric sheep", but this title is really awkward.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Hmmm... yeah he largely seems to be the same person, so this isn't the possibility of "not him but instead a mockery of a copy" I was worried about, and any differences are likely due to a change in perspective, or whatever the right phrase for acknowledging the differences the robot body has would be.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

FPzero posted:

: Well, just consider this a little promotion. By making a robot one of the main characters, a genuine mystery is transformed into a sci-fi mystery...

I'm reminded of a certain visual novel series.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm reminded of a certain visual novel series.

I'm not well versed with the world of Visual Novels, mind elaborating what you're referring to?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Stephen9001 posted:

I'm not well versed with the world of Visual Novels, mind elaborating what you're referring to?

It would be a spoiler to say the name of the VN. I'll say it below, but don't read it if you plan on reading other popular VNs

Virtue's Last Reward

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

MegaZeroX posted:

It would be a spoiler to say the name of the VN. I'll say it below, but don't read it if you plan on reading other popular VNs

Virtue's Last Reward

Well, I don't plan on reading VN's, and the name seems familiar, but I have no idea how it's a spoiler for other VN's. Now I'm curious, guess I'll trawl the cesspit of TV Tropes or 4Chan for context. Don't want to derail this thread more than I already have after all.

So, back on track, who thinks Robo-Nidai will Live, and who thinks he will Die?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Stephen9001 posted:

Well, I don't plan on reading VN's, and the name seems familiar, but I have no idea how it's a spoiler for other VN's.

It is only a spoiler for that one, but as it is a spoiler for a really popular VN, I had to give a vague "popular VNs."

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Stephen9001 posted:

Well, I don't plan on reading VN's, and the name seems familiar, but I have no idea how it's a spoiler for other VN's. Now I'm curious, guess I'll trawl the cesspit of TV Tropes or 4Chan for context. Don't want to derail this thread more than I already have after all.

So, back on track, who thinks Robo-Nidai will Live, and who thinks he will Die?

You are like, 95% likely to spoil yourself on this game and probably V3 if you go looking around TVTropes and 4chan for visual novel context. I wouldn't recommend doing it.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Stephen9001 posted:

Hmmm... yeah he largely seems to be the same person, so this isn't the possibility of "not him but instead a mockery of a copy" I was worried about, and any differences are likely due to a change in perspective, or whatever the right phrase for acknowledging the differences the robot body has would be.

Alter Ego, or something like it, is still a possibility. The chapter title is a reference to an important book that covers similar topics. Nobody would be able to tell the difference, unless they already knew Nekomaru before school or they got their memories back.

That gives a good motive and philosophical debate as well: destroy what you think is a mockery of the real person, but doesn't he deserve to live, even if he's not the real thing?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Now he's got a body that isn't legal for any competition, so he can coach from the sidelines with no pressure to join himself! Really this is all upside.

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012
So I played the game after the Orenronen LP ended and I gotta say that this was whole thing was my favourite part of the game. Nekomaru was already my favourite character before he became a robot.

Also I gotta say his line when he get injured in the first place is probably the best in the game. Defeated by a mere bazooka indeed.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The next morning...we gathered at the hotel restaurant, like we always do.

: Man, the food today was awesome as usual!
: As always, you sure do eat a lot! I feel relaxed just by looking at you!

It's impossible...not to worry about it... No matter what, this feels really strange... It's not something I'll get used to easily...

: Anyway...what are you gonna do, Mechamaru?
: Mechamaru? You're used to him already!?
: What am I going to do...?
: For food... Do you need, like...oil?
: Regular? Premium?

: Nah, he doesn't need oil. Since he said he's "pure electricity", maybe he's battery-powered or something...
: I can totally eat normal food! Especially rice dishes, I can't keep my eyes off them!!!
: However...I've been feeling a little down today...so I don't have much of an appetite...
: Are you malfunctioning!? If you show me your insides, I can fix you up, you know!
: NOOOOOOOO MEANS NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
: Ahahahaha!
: What...so you're here, too?

: Ah, I'm sorry... I should know my place and not speak out of turn when everyone's gathered together like this... However, I just wanted to make sure I spoke to you about what happened yesterday.
: What happened yesterday...?
: That person Mikan called her "beloved." I can't help thinking about that and it won't get out of my head...
: Hm? Am I just a coward for worrying about that?
: It crossed my mind as well but...based on how she phrased it...

: So it's over. It's really...
: Now I can go to my beloved who always forgives me...! I can finally see them.
: Please forgive me, the one who's going to die with the hope of finally seeing you!

: It was...as if she was speaking to an entity that does not exist in this world...
: Then there's nothin' to worry about!
: More importantly, we should be thinking about...the Future Foundation, our enemy. If that fearsome organization known also as World Ender is truly responsible for our imprisonment...
: Then investigating who's behind that organization is our top priority!

The Future Foundation...hm... That word "future"...

Does it...have anything to do with that ancient ruin? I mean, there's no doubt that that symbol on the door to the ancient ruin was...the Japanese word for "Future"... If that's the case...it might be better if we investigate the ancient ruin again later...

: However...the more I think about it, the less sense it makes. Why would an organization that's secretly plotting to end the world...make us suffer like this?
: They went to a lot of trouble to abduct us and bring us to...this island.
: Not only that, they took away several years worth of memories of our lives at Hope's Peak Academy...for reasons that are also unknown.
: Future Foundation! World Ender! Hah!

: There's obviously something wrong with you if you believe in something so unrealistic!
: ...You're one to talk...
: But...what we should be most concerned about, as it relates to the Future Foundation...

Music cuts out.

: ...is the traitor from the Future Foundation that's hiding among us.

: I wonder who it is... The true identity of the outsider hiding among us and trying to ensnare us...
: Nagito's obviously the most suspicious, though...!
: Even a childish organization blathering about ending the world wouldn't accept someone like me.
: Nobody wants a worthless human like me to join their group...
: You guys should know that feeling well, right?

: And that's the reason why you're not the traitor...? I don't understand your theory at all.
: Then...who do you think is the most suspicious?

: I nominate Hajime!
: Well...isn't it normal to doubt the most unlikely candidate?

: Not just that...you're the only one here who still doesn't know what Ultimate talent you possess... If we're basing this on an outsider hiding among a group of Ultimates, Hajime should be doubted right away.
: Then...Hajime's the traitor!?
: O-Of course not! What are you even saying!?
: You shouldn't raise your voice like that. We might become even more suspicious of you, you know?
: Th-This is obviously your fault!!!

: Stop fighting!!!
: Don't you think fighting with ourselves like this is Monokuma's trap!?
: Th-That might be true...but...
: All right, I'll handle this! Just leave this matter to meeeeeeeeeee!!!
: Whaddaya mean?

: To eliminate this tense atmosphere, allow me to present to you my new function that I discovered last night.
: N-New function...
: Don't tell me...is it flight!? C-CAN YOU FLY!?
: It's not a conventional function like that! It's far more practical and novel!
: Now then, let's go...!

*Sploosh*

: Whooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! BEHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD!
: N-Nekomaru is crying!
: Hardly! I'm not crying! My right eye dispenses cola...and my left eye dispenses Rooibos tea... BEHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD!
: ...What are you, a soda fountain!?
: I know we'll be here all day if we keep commenting on every little thing you do...
: But what the hell was Monokuma thinking giving you a function like that!?

: That guy...he's definitely fooling around! Monokuma is just toying with other people's bodies!
: I, too, was modified by Monokuma, so I totally understand how Nekomaru feels...
: But don't be depressed! You'll get used to it! It's surprising how quickly you'll get used to it!
: Don't go buttin' in our conversation all of a sudden! I'll kill you until you die from it, you stupid rabbit!
: ...That's an extremely violent thing to say to someone!

: You showing up at this time means... Did you come to tell us that you've defeated another Monobeast?
: Taaadaaaaa! You're cooooorrect!
: Once again, you can visit a new island, so please take this opportunity to get along with everyone...

: ...I ain't going. What a drag.
: Eh?
: Even if we go to the new island...it's not like we're gonna find a way to escape this place, right?

: Rather...I feel as though the opportunity to kill increases every time we go to a new island... So...it might be best if we do not go...
: Ehhhhhhh!?
: I don't know what you're planning, fiend, but we're not going to fall for it...!
: Th-That...that's a misunderstanding... I was just...

: Argh, jeez! How annoying!
: Just stay back and leave the rest to your big brother! I'll give you an example of how to lure these guys to you, little sis!
: Wh-What are you doing!? You're...acting like we're allies or something...

: Didn't I tell you to stay baaaaack!?
: GYAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! This technique... It's impossible to defend against it or evade it!

: There, now that I've mopped up the annoying one...
: Okay! Since you guys are feeling down in the dumps, I'll make you guys so excited your noses will bleed! Compared to the earlier investigations, I've prepared a special treat that's completely different than before!
: ...Treat?
: Oh, you took the bait? I guess it's true...if you wanna get a shut-in out of their room, carrots work the best!
: Who the gently caress cares about that!? Hurry up and tells us what the treat is!
: It's an amazing treat. Don't wet your pants. Well, it's okay if you do...just don't spray it on me. I've prepared a bunch of stuff you guys might find interesting on the new island!

: Such as...clues about the Future Foundation...
: Such as...parts that may be useful for making a ship...
: Are you for real!?

: And also...your student profiles from your time at Hope's Peak Academy!
: Soooo do your best to explore! Take caaaaare! *leaves*

: ...What should we do?
: O-Our only option is to go...obviously... We might be able to go home if we have ship parts...!
: I plan to go, too. If there are clues about the Future Foundation, we need to make sure we see them...

: ...What about you, Hajime? Of course you're going, right? If you look at your student profile, you might be able to find out what your shining talent is...
: It's a chance for you to clear any suspicions, right?
: What suspicions...! I don't think anyone here doubts me...!
: ...Ah, I see.

But... If there's a clue about my talent, I want to know what it is.

The reason Hope's Peak Academy chose me... The talent I possess... These things matter to me... There's no way I'm not worried about it.

: It seems you've all prepared yourselves for the worst!
: That means we're gonna go, right!?
: If everyone is going, I shall accompany you as well.
: But there's also a possibility that Monokuma set a trap. We should be careful where we step.

I can't stop thinking about that ancient ruin that might hold clues about the Future Foundation...but we should start exploring the new island.

: Next time, the 4th Island.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
That's a hell of a cliffhanger to leave off on. It'd be nice to learn more, after all.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Of course, if everyone's memory of their intense and life-changing (world-changing?) first-year experiences have been wiped, there's no guarantee that even Hajime isn't - or at least wasn't - the traitor. Shame on him for not at least considering and dismissing the possibility.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I still can't figure out how to read the letters of Monokuma's latest attack. What does it say? And what is it parodying/referencing?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Of course the assumption would be that the traitor knows what's up and is the only one that still has their memories. After all this buildup I have a theory about Hajime's 'talent' being the same as Nagito's actually, but that only make sense if Nagito himself is the traitor, and that would just be bad writing for a number of reasons.

And it's nice that the kids at least figured out that every time a new area opens up someone gets murdered, even if they're still winding up walking right into that in the end.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Junpei posted:

I still can't figure out how to read the letters of Monokuma's latest attack. What does it say? And what is it parodying/referencing?

I picked out the words PUDDING and SUICIDE. The extra letters can make LOL. This leaves only a little heart symbol.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I ❤️ PUDDING

DELICIOUS

is what they say, respectively.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
In a spiral pattern:
I :h: Pudding
Delicious

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

What is up with the spiral motif in this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wow, that's an old reference.

Junpei posted:

It's one of the signature moves from Ruroni Kenshin. The idea is that you sword so fast you attack from nine directions at once, making it impossible to dodge!

spoiler: it gets dodged

• Locked thread