Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Malloc Voidstar posted:

How did he not realize he was using too much force?
Mechanical ineptness. That dude probably didn't ever do anything in his life other than tightening case screws on his own computer and hammering a nail into a wall.

--edit:
Also, at work I keep seeing people tightening the ever-loving poo poo on pieces that could not ever unscrew themselves. Apparently makes them feel better/safer.

Anecdote: A coworker in another shift has tightened the same set of screws on a piece of machinery for like a hundred times with a torque wrench. So you'd figure he could loosely judge the amount of force needed. That one time that bumbling idiot accidentally switched the wrench to left-handed threads without knowing, he actually put a 5ft lever on the wrench, because it refused to click, and broke three screws until he gave it a second thought that something might be off. Three M20 screws. People are dumb.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Computer building is pretty much like anything else: You can be strong or you can be smart. These guys right here chose to be strong today.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

loving morons. :ughh:

loving goooons!!
(It's yogscast lol)

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Oh good, then I won't have to go anywhere to let them know YOU UTTER PILLOCK, WHAT DID YOU THINK THAT 'CLUNK' COMING FROM THE WRENCH IN YOUR HANDS WAS ONCE THE SCREW WAS SNUGGED DOWN?!

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Does anyone here use Aida64? It seems pretty awesome and dicking around in the trial version seems swell.

Although that $40 price tag for the home license I can certainly see off putting. What's the closest equivalent to Aida64 that isn't Prime95 and is free?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Re: RIP Threadripper - LOL that's not inept, that's retarded.

:eyepop:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 16, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yea, I was surprised the wrench didn't give in (I mean, it's a sturdy 3ft long one, but still). We have a new wrench on our workbench now, though. It ratchets in the other direction now. :toot:

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Also, at work I keep seeing people tightening the ever-loving poo poo on pieces that could not ever unscrew themselves. Apparently makes them feel better/safer.

I cringe when I see my cousin using anything involving a fastener that needs tightened. He will run a screw into the wall and let the driver strip/grind in the screw head for a good 10 seconds well after the screw has bottomed out. Ensuring there is no hope of anyone ever removing the screw in the future. And he works in construction, ugh...

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I can attest to people loving to over torque poo poo that really only needs to be a tad over hand tightened. Super common with fuckers racking servers and networking gear. I know its a couple hundred pounds but please, for the love of god, do not keep over tightening that poo poo...

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Does thermal compound ever go bad? The guy at Microcenter said this water cooling kit probably came with some so I didn't buy any but I have a ~15 year old tube of Arctic Silver around here... somewhere? Probably. If that stuff separates or something I'm not going to bother and just go back to Microcenter. Should have bought a case, anyway.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
stuff separating almost certainly means the emulsion settled-- its not an entropic phenomenon in the slightest. Just mix it back up! But regardless, any aio will come pre-pasted so you only need a tube if you gently caress it up or need to take it off again for whatever reason.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Hah, it sure does have a square of grease on it. I didn't even think to look at it that hard

I'm on the Ryzen bandwagon now

E: this thing has a garish rainbow LED stripe that shines through a gap in the PCB but I have to go fishing for a motherboard speaker to see what the hell the beep code is when I get no video. Gamer culture is so loving trashy goddamn

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 17, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Munkeymon posted:

Does thermal compound ever go bad? The guy at Microcenter said this water cooling kit probably came with some so I didn't buy any but I have a ~15 year old tube of Arctic Silver around here... somewhere? Probably. If that stuff separates or something I'm not going to bother and just go back to Microcenter. Should have bought a case, anyway.

Go bad? Ehh, not really.

In AS3's case, because it's particulate suspended in an emulsified fluid, it *will* settle, and you'll get some super-dry compound as the first bit out of the tip. That's why AS3 recommends that you store it tip-down. So long as you've done that, just squeeze out the first dry bit, and then use as normal.

(I have a foam block with holes punched into it to hold my syringes of goop, I just store them all that way, in case.)

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

doomisland posted:

I can attest to people loving to over torque poo poo that really only needs to be a tad over hand tightened. Super common with fuckers racking servers and networking gear. I know its a couple hundred pounds but please, for the love of god, do not keep over tightening that poo poo...

What really got "proper torque settings" into my head was owning a Suzuki, made of compressed threaded cheese metal, and reading all the horror stories on bike forums of people trashing threads and needing helicoils, etc.

I'm just pissy because I can't justify a TR at all and that guy just trashed one like a chimp.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
The chip is probably fine, socket might have taken some damage depending on if the screw head snapped off before the pins got overcompressed, but the motherboard is parts, now.

Not that it's much of a consolation, what with being a $550 USD motherboard, BUT.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Mofabio posted:

Could I make an alternative suggestion for your CFD workload?

http://natex.us/S2600CP2J-Custom/

That, plus 2x E5-2670's, and 128GB of ECC DDR3 on 8 memory channels = 16 cores and 80-120 Gb/sec (edit: typo+realism) of memory bandwidth for ~$750. You can compare it to threadripper, but I don't think it can match the old dual Sandy Xeons in memory bandwidth per dollar. Assuming your current workstation memory is ECC you have spare parts there, and could even pick up a backup motherboard, and still stay under $1k.

Well it's worth thinking about. People have commented about memory bandwidth. For most CFD number crunching the CPU itself is usually the bottleneck as everything chokes up with the floating point calculations. When I was comparing the floating point throughput between Ryzen and the recent Xeons Ryzen is about 30% faster at the same clockspeed.

There is a possibility that I might be wrong as some of the simulations I run might be broken down into such small workloads that the bottleneck may shift to cache or memory in whole or part. Although I have my doubt as the larger the model the complexity is exponential in terms of calculations required.

I'll have to think about this a bit more and I'm not closing out any options.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

:thunk: hmmmm

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

what am i missing here?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Scarecow posted:

what am i missing here?

My prime x370 is doing 8+8+8+8 and getting 16 as far as I can tell

Or maybe it's only using half of it for some reason?

At any rate, I need to look up some RAM overclocking guides because simply shoving more voltage in there isn't getting me the speed I bought

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I had almost exactly the same issue last night when my memory arrived and I assembled the machine, except for 8/16 rather than 16/32. Turns out one of the dimms wasn't quite seated properly so it knew it was there but couldn't use it.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Aug 17, 2017

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I really want to see what 3600mhz+ ram does for threadripper

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Taking a quad channel platfrom and only running 2 fast dimms instead of 4/8 :thunk:

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Risky Bisquick posted:

Taking a quad channel platfrom and only running 2 fast dimms instead of 4/8 :thunk:

https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-4200c19q2-64gtzsw

(god only knows how much that would cost)

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Did AMD fix their issue with RGB memory (SPD) btw?

eames
May 9, 2009

Nope, though it is more of a design flaw of the Trident RGB sticks than AMD's fault.
Storing LED color settings in the SPD seems about as smart as having to re-flash your BIOS every time you change the CPU multiplier.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Pablo Bluth posted:

I had almost exactly the same issue last night when my memory arrived and I assembled the machine, except for 8/16 rather than 16/32. Turns out one of the dimms wasn't quite seated properly so it knew it was there but couldn't use it.

Weird that it wouldn't say so explicitly on this otherwise overdone UI but, OK, I'll try reseating them when I get home tonight. I wish there were retention clips on both sides :\

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Godspeed to any moneybags that buy a 4 dimm DDR4000 kit :retrogames:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Don't RAID 1 your RAM.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

AT corrected and retested their Game Mode results for ThreadRipper.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11726/retesting-amd-ryzen-threadrippers-game-mode-halving-cores-for-more-performance

Honestly sorta looks like you are better off doing what AT did in the first place, and just turning off SMT. Actual Game Mode only seems to help with AMD cards, Nvidia cards got a performance decrease. And both brands were better in 16/16 mode than 8/16 Game Mode.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

They're still a bunch of chucklefucks. They mention DDR4-3200 RAM in the test setup, but apparently didn't test with it, or at least not list results. Reason? Being this:

quote:

While these comments make sense, ultimately very few users apply memory profiles (either XMP or other) as they require interaction with the BIOS, and most users will fall back on JEDEC supported speeds - this includes home users as well as industry who might want to shave off a cent or two from the cost or stay within the margins set by the manufacturer.
Who the gently caress do they think will be buying these CPUs?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
That's especially ironic, since ian Cutress himself wrote a very clear, very opinionated guide about what XMP is and why people leave performance on the table by not enabling it.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
god what a loving stupid argument to try and make, "hey lets take a platform that has proven results that ram speed has a very real and direct impact on gaming benchmarks and run it at loving DDR4-2400

2400Mhz

3600Mhz CL16

from this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZS2XHcQdqA&t=215s

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Combat Pretzel posted:

They're still a bunch of chucklefucks. They mention DDR4-3200 RAM in the test setup, but apparently didn't test with it, or at least not list results. Reason? Being this:

Who the gently caress do they think will be buying these CPUs?

So they didn't

They didn't think to test at stock and with memory profiles changed as a comparison....... Dafuq

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I mean, to be fair, anything over 2666 is considered overclocking and warranty voiding for a lot of purposes. 2666 is the max JEDEC spec, and thats how the memory controller is officially listed. For doing an actual review of the supported product, it should probably be at 2666. Pragmatically, the type of people who read AT are the type of people who want to overclock (overclocking was how the website got popular ffs), but from a sperg perspective, that really is the product as it is offered. :shrug:

Its kinda like people that complain that car reviews are done on the tires from the factory.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
That's fine and good but have you considered por que no los dos?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

FaustianQ posted:

That's fine and good but have you considered por que no los dos?

cause it takes forever to run the full test suite and they dont get to keep review units forever, i imagine. article says:

quote:

Where possible, we will extend out testing to include faster memory modules either at the same time as the review or a later date.

Not defending them completely though, they also posted the Ryzen review without any gaming results at all and poo poo. Theyve done lots of dumb stuff lately. I just dunno if running the memory at its officially supported speed is that dumb for a review of somethin.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I can now confirm that a Ryzen 1700 is just a wee bit faster than an Athlon II X4....

I managed to get it running with the memory at 2800MHZ with just two mouse clicks and no understandings of what I was doing. The rated 3000 failed to boot so I'm going to have to RTFM.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Pablo Bluth posted:

I can now confirm that a Ryzen 1700 is just a wee bit faster than an Athlon II X4....

I managed to get it running with the memory at 2800MHZ with just two mouse clicks and no understandings of what I was doing. The rated 3000 failed to boot so I'm going to have to RTFM.
it might be 2T at 2933, since ryzen by default demands 1T memory timings unless you update the bios to one with a newer AGESA version (not all of the mobos out now have it although new ones are shipping with it)

though 1T 2800 might be faster than 2T 2933 and if it's stable there after some stress runs i'd say go with it

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

They ran the RAM at 2400 MHz and not 2666MHz if I understand the test setup page correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Pablo Bluth posted:

Thanks for the advice! I reseated all of them which was annoying because the heat spreader is basically all sharp metal with one thumb-sized flat plastic bit to mock you, I guess? Anyway, memtest finished and I have 32 GB of probably-stable RAM running at 3200 w/the timings it's supposed to get. Motherboard is Asus PRIME X370-PRO and RAM kit (from the QVL) is https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232207 in case anyone else cares about shoving that much RAM in with boring old non-ripped dad threads.