Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
it's gonna be real weird to have a whole season after this unless it's basically one long battle

the most awesome troll ever would have been to have Dany show up and actually literally just obliterate all the WWs then and there, and next season is straight back to season 1 political drama with Cersei and Dany trying to outcrazy each other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I legit liked that the nk took a second throw and missed so it's not just a spell and he's a huge threat to dany burning his army

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

I can usually take gaps and bending of time and space in service of a good story, but holy poo poo the raven/Dany rescue is the strangest thing i have ever seen in a fictional world that's supposed to be realish.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

grack posted:

Daenerys is probably in a little bit of shock, as not only did one of her dragons just die she saw a giant army of undead and White Walkers for the first time.

I read somewhere that in GRRM's universe dragons are asexual and can mate with each other at any time

I dont know why they dont just make more, give Drogon some fermented crab and let him take Rhaegal to poundtown :dong:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the plot is like a singularity - the closer your proximity to it, the more time and space warp

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Constant posted:

I read somewhere that in GRRM's universe dragons are asexual and can mate with each other at any time

I dont know why they dont just make more, give Drogon some fermented crab and let him take Rhaegal to poundtown :dong:

It would probably take a while for Davos to get that much crab.

Also, Drogon for the Iron Throne

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

It's been established over and over that Jon Snow is a loving idiot in combat. He is a good swordsman and an inspiring leader but he is an awful tactician.

Battle of Castle Black: he puts a better guy in charge of the castle. Seriously considers a suicide attack on Mance. Battle of the Bastards: he knows he's going to lose to the superior Bolton army but shows up anyway and suicide rushes the Bolton line. He would have lost if not for allied cavalry showing up behind the enemy. Hardhome: suicide rush for the dragon glass. Blue Eyes Wight Dragon: suicide rush for the Night King

See a pattern?

jon snow is the guy who attack moves unstimmed marines and marauders into banelings

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Jon Snow is gonna become a white walker so he can be true king of the north.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
littlefinger turns out to be the Man in Black from dark tower

wait no, because that would actually make sense.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

It's been established over and over that Jon Snow is a loving idiot in combat. He is a good swordsman and an inspiring leader but he is an awful tactician.

Battle of Castle Black: he puts a better guy in charge of the castle. Seriously considers a suicide attack on Mance. Battle of the Bastards: he knows he's going to lose to the superior Bolton army but shows up anyway and suicide rushes the Bolton line. He would have lost if not for allied cavalry showing up behind the enemy. Hardhome: suicide rush for the dragon glass. Blue Eyes Wight Dragon: suicide rush for the Night King

See a pattern?

I kind of assumed he had a death wish/survivors guilt because he thinks he didn't deserve to be resurrected. Doesn't explain castle black but explains basically everything else he's done since coming back to life.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

maybe his new queen will give him a reason to live :sun:

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

precision posted:

the plot is like a singularity - the closer your proximity to it, the more time and space warp

Seriously. Let's say i'm Jon Snow and i'm trapped on an island in the north surrounded by an army of the dead. And lets say that when Gendry spends hours/days getting back to Castle Black, that they somehow have cell phones. Then let's say Kelly C. has fast strike bombers instead of dragons that still have to fly all the way from Dragonstone.

Am i still alive when they get there?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i know, i feel genuinely sorry for people who are bothered when stuff moves at the speed of plot. fonzie jumping a shark is not that strange compared to "some guys with no food or shelter survive in sub-zero temperatures for the length of time it takes, combined, one man to run at least one day's walk, AND THEN a bird to fly hundreds of miles, AND THEN a human on the back of a dragon to fly hundreds of miles at a slow enough speed to not like, fall off or freeze"

it's something that isn't even CLOSE to explicable (unless maybe the "magic ravens" part helps) and to enjoy it i had to just completely not give a gently caress and pretended i was watching a video game cut scene from 2003

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Fragmented posted:

Seriously. Let's say i'm Jon Snow and i'm trapped on an island in the north surrounded by an army of the dead. And lets say that when Gendry spends hours/days getting back to Castle Black, that they somehow have cell phones. Then let's say Kelly C. has fast strike bombers instead of dragons that still have to fly all the way from Dragonstone.

Am i still alive when they get there?

"It's only tits and dragons."

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

WampaLord posted:

I can already tell what will be the Goony Derail Point for this episode.

How loving fast are ravens?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
benjen showing up out of nowhere for no reason except to add a little bit of forced drama was real stupid. everyon else is on the dragon, jon! get on the dragon! oh you wandered away for no reason and then a dragon died. then you stood there like a dumbass and fell in the lake. then you came back out of the lake because of course you can't die yet. you just need to demonstrate to the audience how you keep making terrible decisions. then your uncle warps in from the dimension of loose plot threads and sacrifices himself in the third or so time he's ever been on the show. just so dany can look out over the landscape and visibly Miss You Terribly.

after he bent the knee she should have strapped him to those big assed sex rings on the side of the bed and left him there so he doesn't fall off the side of the god damned ship

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I skipped over the winterfell poo poo to get to the good stuff but upon watching it i think Arya is acting like a petulant little twat on purpose.

To get LF to play his hand and reveal his intentions to Sansa.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well this episode essentially told us either Westeros is about 1/100th the size we've previously established or that ravens are actually going supersonic speeds. It's not hard to predict why it would stick out here so I don't think you win any internet points for guessing that

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Constant posted:

I skipped over the winterfell poo poo to get to the good stuff but upon watching it i think Arya is acting like a petulant little twat on purpose.

it's a bit weird but it kind of makes sense to me that all the crazy poo poo that's happened to arya is catching up to her now that she's back at home with the wreckage of her family and the sibling she hates most is in charge. i mean she is a young teenage girl who's been remarkably stoic despite being kidnapped over and over, living in the wild, and escaping with her life from assassin murder college

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I mean, time is a major plot hole in Empire Strikes Back (Did Luke become a Jedi in a week or did Han and Leia hang in that worm belly for months?) and that's still one of the best movies ever, so at a point just get over it or don't.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

See a pattern?

He's just trying to leeroy jenkins the raid.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

WampaLord posted:

It did. The "mechanics" of the Viserion kill are fine, it's just the spear itself being a really dumb power to have.

I don't have a problem with the spear per se. That's fine. What I don't like is the Night King tossing it and having it accelerate up like a loving ICBM to take out Viserion who looked to be like half a mile away when it cuts to the spear after the throw.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

I don't have a problem with the spear per se. That's fine. What I don't like is the Night King tossing it and having it accelerate up like a loving ICBM to take out Viserion who looked to be like half a mile away when it cuts to the spear after the throw.

I don't like that he made the dead dragon come back that's not real at all

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Yeah, and what about the cool down time? Are we supposed to believe Night King is spec ced for DPS and necromancy at the same time?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

By "dumb power to have" I mean he has too many powers already. He can resurrect anything, is omniscient, and now can also do this spear thingy?

Too OP, nerf please.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

WampaLord posted:

I mean, time is a major plot hole in Empire Strikes Back (Did Luke become a Jedi in a week or did Han and Leia hang in that worm belly for months?) and that's still one of the best movies ever, so at a point just get over it or don't.

I already said it doesn't bother me at all, none of the "fast travel" stuff does and I hate arguing about tactical realism but the idea that they just stood on that lake for literally weeks is fuckin' hilarious

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

WampaLord posted:

yoda did say that luke wasn't done with his training and he could have been there for a week for handwavy reasons like he's just that talented or whatever

thrones has established a few times that the north is massive so at this point they're just bending their own previously established rules. in the first episode cersei is griping about how long they've been on the road to winterfell. it's just noticably jarring writing, like they're just trying to get the show over with already - which i dont mind but it feels real clumsy. previously we could just assume there was some time in between ravens being sent and arriving but now i guess the magnificent 7 6 were just chilling on that island for a week or two

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

WampaLord posted:

Actually they mention this, the hyperspace is messed up on the Falcon and they have to get to Cloud City super super slow.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

Actually they mention this, the hyperspace is messed up on the Falcon and they have to get to Cloud City super super slow.

That doesn't really grok with how the hyperdrive works, it's either on or off. After all, it's a fast ship, made the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs.

Wait are you implying they went sublight to Cloud City? Impossible.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
you might even say a major theme of this show is how fuckin' huge and disjointed this world is!

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Watching that scene, it happened so quick I barely noticed anything. And I Watched this after reading this be mentioned. So

quote:

just get over it or don't.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Constant posted:

I think the story is basically straight as to how it's being presented - Littlefinger is trying to create a divide between Sansa and Arya that he can (somehow) benefit. I even think Maisie Williams' performance is okay - even though in the show Arya's gone through a ton of poo poo over the last few seasons, she's still very young and really not that experienced with politics.

The problem, of course, is that the story is loving preposterous to begin with. Why would Littlefinger try and divide the two? Does he see Arya as a threat? Is he trying to upset Sansa so she relies on him more? For a guy who's supposedly this master political tactician the whole thing is just stupid.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
at the end of the day it's a fantasy show where anything's possible but the Warrior himself might as well ride out of wherever the Seven dwell and fistfight the Night King if we're just gonna cook up cool stuff to happen that doesn't really jive with the previously established world building

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

grack posted:

I think the story is basically straight as to how it's being presented - Littlefinger is trying to create a divide between Sansa and Arya that he can (somehow) benefit. I even think Maisie Williams' performance is okay - even though in the show Arya's gone through a ton of poo poo over the last few seasons, she's still very young and really not that experienced with politics.

The problem, of course, is that the story is loving preposterous to begin with. Why would Littlefinger try and divide the two? Does he see Arya as a threat? Is he trying to upset Sansa so she relies on him more? For a guy who's supposedly this master political tactician the whole thing is just stupid.

I mean, if we're going to complain about the LF plot, why the hell is he even still in the North at all? You'd think he'd have straight up hosed off by this point once he realized Sansa resoundingly refused to trust him after he sold her to the Boltons. Go cozy up with Dany or Cersei. Or hell, just go chill in the Vale, have Robin call back the Vale Knights, and wait until you see a chance to strike in the coming war. But instead he's just milling around Winterfell accomplishing nothing.

The only excuse I can think of is that he actually does really want to get into Sansa's pants so he can have his beloved Cat, and that obsession is clouding his judgement. But even then he's going about it in an incredibly dumb way.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

WampaLord posted:

But I was over it. I took the last season in stride because you could overlook the time skips. This time skip was different. There was a time sensitive need(that we visualy saw getting closer to game over)that was solved too fast.

Edit: What if Drogan had an x-wing?

Fragmented fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 17, 2017

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Yeah, Arya is hamming it up.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Fragmented posted:

What if Drogan had an x-wing?

Now we're speaking my language. :getin:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

can we just chalk it up to a westeros jetstream and move past the whole time thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i think we're supposed to think sansa is smart enough to realize that arya was basically telling her "yo sis i could ice that creep for you and then pretend to be him" hence handing her the dagger (SYMBOLISM you see)

• Locked thread