Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Firstborn posted:

When does the show come back? I can never remember, then when I finally check back, I've missed a dozen new episodes (not a bad feeling). Is it Oct for the Spooktacular?

My picks for request month:

Fist of the North Star
Sin City 2
Constantine
Movie 43
House of the Dead
Zaat
Laserblast
Things
Blair Witch II: Book of Shadows
Simon Sez
Double Impact
Expendables I or II
Rambo (2008)
Red Sonja
Vanilla Sky
3,000 Miles to Graceland
Temple of Doom (air it out already)
Shoot 'Em Up
The Last Boyscout
(not strictly a list of bad movies, just ones I'd like to hear the guys discuss)

I really like Constantine, and I think a lot of the hatred comes from it not matching up with the comics, which I've never read. To be fair, though, Tilda Swinton and the finale with Lucifer help pave over a lot of sins for me. They're so good. I also really like The Last Boyscout, but that could be a fun We Love Movies.

Everything else on here, though, is gold. Like, how have I never thought to request 3,000 Miles to Graceland? Kevin Costner is unhinged in that movie. I wish he'd play more villains. I almost love how much I hate that movie.

Jimbot posted:

Many Republicans' favorite movie of the year right there. Honestly, Death Wish 3 is probably one of the dumbest piles of garbage I ever thoroughly enjoyed but it's so incredibly dumb and over-the-top. This junk is just too straight-faced and 30 years too late. If you wanted to update the Death Wish story then at least get with the times. The villains would be the cops or alt-right shitheads (who are protected by said cops) and the protagonist would be a minority and/or part of the LGBTQ community. You know, actually discriminated groups who would have all the excuses in the world to fight back.

Alternatively, just don't remake Death Wish. It's a terrible idea no matter how you approach it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Vanilla Sky owns too.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

Alternatively, just don't remake Death Wish. It's a terrible idea no matter how you approach it.

That too. But Hollywood will be Hollywood.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Vanilla Sky owns too.

I haven't seen it since it came out, so maybe I should give it another shot, but I remember being really pissed at the ending. Like, it set up all this crazy mind altering stuff, with the reveal being a glorified, "It was all a dream/simulation." Felt like a cop out.

Keep in mind, I have no idea what a satisfactory ending would be.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

thrawn527 posted:

I really like Constantine, and I think a lot of the hatred comes from it not matching up with the comics, which I've never read.

Someone once told me it was good, on the condition that you watch it as a secret sequel to The Devil's Advocate

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

thrawn527 posted:

I really like Constantine, and I think a lot of the hatred comes from it not matching up with the comics, which I've never read. To be fair, though, Tilda Swinton and the finale with Lucifer help pave over a lot of sins for me. They're so good. I also really like The Last Boyscout, but that could be a fun We Love Movies.

Your right; Constantine is not a good movie, it's a good-bad movie, but the whole ending with Swinton and the 'gently caress you' to Satan was really loving good.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Constantine is one of those rare movies where the last 15 or 20 minutes are much better than everything else.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Constantine's biggest fault is its runtime, if it was eighty-something minutes long it'd be a fine little hangover movie

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
The story on one of the recent Nexus episodes that Eric tells about hearing a dude jerk off at work is amazing

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Durandal1707 posted:

The story on one of the recent Nexus episodes that Eric tells about hearing a dude jerk off at work is amazing

Well Eric, as you know I have to change my colostomy bag every day

And I have to catch up on the latest episode of "Masters of Sex" while I'm doing it

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
I just stumbled over some trivia that I haven't seen covered. The Screen Rant article 15 Shocking Things You Didn’t Know About The Terrible Supergirl Movie doesn't say much that's shocking or even new other than that Demi Moore almost played Lucy Lane. You know what also came out it 1984? Wikipedia cuts to the chase:

The Wiki Courier posted:

Demi Moore auditioned for and was cast as character Lucy Lane, but bowed out to make the film Blame It on Rio.
:stare:
Was the fourth film in the Superman franchise so clearly doomed that a young actress bailed to do a sex comedy? Was Blame It on Rio ultimately the better career choice? It was just another terrible movie but Supergirl was a notable flop.

Also,

The IMDB Tribune posted:

A film container, simply stating the words 'do not use' was discovered at Pinewood Studios in London. The negative inside the container was the full 138 minute Director's cut of the movie. Anchor Bay subsequently released this version on special edition DVD, limited to 50,000 copies.

The guys mention how much they would rather have watched the shortest version. Looks like the 138 minute cut came about because of convenience as much as demand.

squirt squirt

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Speaking of Blame it on Rio, Joseph Bologna just died.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
Joseph Bologna (Rio) and Peter O'Toole (Supergirl) were both in My Favorite Year.

Stanley Donen (Rio) also directed Bedazzeled starring Peter Cook. Cook played Nigel in Supergirl.

The evidence is just forming but I'm pretty sure Blame it on Rio is the center of the cinematic universe.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

The Twinkie Czar posted:

Joseph Bologna (Rio) and Peter O'Toole (Supergirl) were both in My Favorite Year.

Stanley Donen (Rio) also directed Bedazzeled starring Peter Cook. Cook played Nigel in Supergirl.

The evidence is just forming but I'm pretty sure Blame it on Rio is the center of the cinematic universe.

Demi Moore's character in Disclosure is clearly the future version of her character in Blame It On Rio, and seeing her dad gently caress her best friend is what turned her into a sexual deviant

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Eric deserved a standing ovation for that edging/singeing joke.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Help me out here, there was a Twin Peaks riff about how they talk in the black lodge in a recent episode... Which episode was it and where? I can't find it and it's driving me crazy.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tender Bender posted:

Help me out here, there was a Twin Peaks riff about how they talk in the black lodge in a recent episode... Which episode was it and where? I can't find it and it's driving me crazy.
There's one in the most recent episode on Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, if that's what you're referring to.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

The Silver Surfer episode might be their best live episode yet. The audio quality was great and the WHM boys were on fire.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I need to get around to throwing Revolver into the listener request month. That film is legit incomprehensible.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Lemon posted:

I need to get around to throwing Revolver into the listener request month. That film is legit incomprehensible.

It's perfectly comprehensible. It's a moron trying to be arty

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The whole bit about Stan Lee wanting Jack Kirby's grave dug up was great. I love how the guys (except Steve) barely know anything about comics but will always call him out for the Kirby thing.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

DoubleCakes posted:

The Silver Surfer episode might be their best live episode yet. The audio quality was great and the WHM boys were on fire.

I have to disagree. Howard the Duck was better.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Dmitri-9 posted:

Howard the Duck was better.

Well there's a phrase not often uttered in this universe.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

The Twinkie Czar posted:

Well there's a phrase not often uttered in this universe.

I just think things are better with a sexualized duck.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

There's one in the most recent episode on Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, if that's what you're referring to.

That was it, thanks!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
For anyone listening to Hooked on TJ Hooker: If you get your TV over an antenna, MeTV just started running TJ Hooker weeknights at 5pm.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
https://youtu.be/1kthtkKM0oQ

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

The description says that was for a toy fair, but I'm pretty sure that's just Vin's regular Friday night thing

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
He sounds exactly like a kid who's really excited to show you his toys, and it's kind of adorable.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I'm listening to a bunch of episodes from the first 50 since I'd avoided them for a while (less movies I recognized mainly). Of course they're great, but goddrat Steve admitting during the Boys and Girls episode that he used to go to a website called "Encyclopedia of Lesbian Movie Scenes" is one of my biggest laughs ever from the show.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I decided to isolate the single best soundbite I've heard on the show

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
"And they're like, wet animal havin' sex, right?" - Eric on Shrek and Fiona

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

This week was my first time hearing anything about One Magic Christmas and ho-ly poo poo. This thing sounds more like a Joker origin story than anything else.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I went through the back catalog a while back and remember that movie being something crazy. Glad to see it still is :D

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
So glad to hear the origin of "Doreetah chips".

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Brocktoon posted:

So glad to hear the origin of "Doreetah chips".

That always cracks me up in addition to 'walking doritos'

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jesus Christ, Max Von Sydow singing Mr. Brightside is making me laugh entirely too hard

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It's Mac and Me day! :wooper:

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

After long last we have the WHM Mac and Me episode. I've never seen Mac And Me but the WHM guys are a good sell on how absurd it is.

Now I wonder how many infamous cinematic trainwrecks WHM has left on the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Man, it's definitely a gotta see it to believe it movie. Track it down.