Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Mods please change name to fat butt ninja tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

TheBlandName posted:

But gently caress practicality. Make some explosions and have everyone in your party think, "Man he's going HARD to carry us."

Hell yea!

:black101:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I carry a pair of level rocket launchers on me in missions for those moments where you need a little breathing room. Aside from being able to vaporize a lot of enemies instantly, they also ragdoll smashers like a sledgehammer does to the husky husks. :iia:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Grenade launchers are the tits when someone has DECOY.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
I had some good success with a flare gun on an SSD last night. Close range you'll almost always hit, and clears out husks like nothing, without any worries of it falling apart in seconds. Can also work long range well if you can zero an area that you want to regularly hit.

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

Someone made this.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iWt-LgADVmRdQnS9OomDFqjqXQT7wyyPA1unctnaPHM/copy?usp=sharing

It has all the information about the game that you need.
From "actual" DPS calculators to all collection rewards in one thing.

Take a look at it, it should be great information for old and new players.

Edit: For most of you only the calculator tab is of any benefit.

Equate fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 16, 2017

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Inzombiac posted:

Grenade launchers are the tits when someone has DECOY.

I have the mythic soldier with the super grenades and those + decoy can solo just about any wave.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Equate posted:

Someone made this.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iWt-LgADVmRdQnS9OomDFqjqXQT7wyyPA1unctnaPHM/copy?usp=sharing

It has all the information about the game that you need.
From "actual" DPS calculators to all collection rewards in one thing.

Take a look at it, it should be great information for old and new players.

Edit: For most of you only the calculator tab is of any benefit.

I'll say that the tier lists and, well, essentially all the analysis* is utter garbage. The raw data is pretty useful, though.

*How do you correctly put together a true DPS evaluation, but still evaluate weapons based on the in-game displayed DPS? How do you fail to recognize that the only four husk types that are a real threat to mission completion are all single targets, not swarms? Why would you claim that a class that gimmicks around a low uptime buff is top tier, when other classes have passives that contribute more group DPS and also have other benefits?

EDIT: I know it's just something you found, and not your own views.

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

TheBlandName posted:

I'll say that the tier lists and, well, essentially all the analysis* is utter garbage. The raw data is pretty useful, though.

*How do you correctly put together a true DPS evaluation, but still evaluate weapons based on the in-game displayed DPS? How do you fail to recognize that the only four husk types that are a real threat to mission completion are all single targets, not swarms? Why would you claim that a class that gimmicks around a low uptime buff is top tier, when other classes have passives that contribute more group DPS and also have other benefits?

EDIT: I know it's just something you found, and not your own views.

Yeah that is why the actual was in quotes, a lot of that is what he thinks about it, the raw data is very nice to have. i also don't agree with some of his pics but its pers. preference. I think the dragon ninja is probably the best one out there, and I concur with the head-shot soldier as top tier.

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
I guess the cooldown determines how useful it actually is, but unlimited* rocket launchers would be awesome on the later SSDs to regain some breathing room. I burned through 10 of them on plank 9 and would have gladly taken 10 more. Granted some of those were used to bounce flingers off of cliffs since getting into melee range would have just been suicide, but when you have to kill 1000 mobs to progress taking them out en masse is a good thing.

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

M2tt posted:

I guess the cooldown determines how useful it actually is, but unlimited* rocket launchers would be awesome on the later SSDs to regain some breathing room. I burned through 10 of them on plank 9 and would have gladly taken 10 more. Granted some of those were used to bounce flingers off of cliffs since getting into melee range would have just been suicide, but when you have to kill 1000 mobs to progress taking them out en masse is a good thing.

Plank OD 9 doesn't sound fun

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
10 sec of grenade launcher spam is pretty fun. Gets nutty paired with the quick reload tactical perk. The 90sec cooldown on war cry doesn't feel that long, and he also gets the minigun perk!

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
I thought yesterday's troll llamas were the same super llamas as before. Turns out it's only 1 legendary per pack and guess who got to slot a hero into his collection.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

the panacea posted:

I thought yesterday's troll llamas were the same super llamas as before. Turns out it's only 1 legendary per pack and guess who got to slot a hero into his collection.

I got two out of one. legendary builder hero and a lead survivor.

Other one had a... god, legendary healing pad.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
I got a legendary scoped burst rifle and a spear, to go with my heavy shotgun from the last troll pack. All sorted for weapons now at least.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
All I want is a legendary pathfinder. Not even the epic. I'm one of the good guys who drops materials for constructors, upgrades existing structures, places traps, and points out special chests to teammates via keen(er) eyes.

Why does this game have to prevent me from becoming who I was born to be?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Well, if any of these games that ape trading card games had actual trading that wouldn't be an issue...

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

No, you must gamble for your equipment. And there must be no system in place to turn all the things you don't want into the thing you want. To do otherwise might make players happy and happy players spend less money. So get spending!

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Great Beer posted:

No, you must gamble for your equipment. And there must be no system in place to turn all the things you don't want into the thing you want. To do otherwise might make players happy and happy players spend less money. So get spending!

There's a system to gamble things you don't want into another thing that may be what you want but probably won't be! But it takes either a shitload of research points or people.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Kameh posted:

All I want is a legendary pathfinder. Not even the epic. I'm one of the good guys who drops materials for constructors, upgrades existing structures, places traps, and points out special chests to teammates via keen(er) eyes.

Recon scout and vanguard seems to be a better outlander than pathfinder.

Vanguard... I have a epic one and anti-material punch have a 13 seconds cooldown, so I can turn all the cars in a industrial zone into ammo and solid walls in no time. Don't have a recon scout levelup, but from the description can see chest from 3 tiles away, and thats kind of OP as hell if you are into chest hunting.

Tei fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 16, 2017

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dravs posted:

I got a legendary scoped burst rifle and a spear, to go with my heavy shotgun from the last troll pack. All sorted for weapons now at least.

The sniper rifle, or the assault rifle? Both are pretty awesome.

Got the legendary auto shotgun (Tigerjaw) from one of the troll llamas and its level 25 bonus is a change to energy damage. :getin:

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Kameh posted:

All I want is a blue or better Pathfinder Jess, so every 'choice' type reward I pick Outlander if I can. I got 4 goddamn blue electricity guy outlanders and with the recent troll llamas got a legendary gunslinger dude which, while cool, I have no interest in after dumping all my exp on a purple soldier lady.

Why do you not want me to like you despite having fun inside you, game? :smith:

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Tei posted:

Recon scout and vanguard seems to be a better outlander than pathfinder.

Vanguard... I have a epic one and anti-material punch have a 13 seconds cooldown, so I can turn all the cars in a industrial zone into ammo and solid walls in no time. Don't have a recon scout levelup, but from the description can see chest from 3 tiles away, and thats kind of OP as hell if you are into chest hunting.

I have a recon scout and perhaps a green vanguard, but I like keen eyes + Teddy, and that (AFAIK) is only found on the pathfinder. I do have an epic deadeye slotted that helps out with pistol damage.

I read that an epic pathfinder jess is a quest item midway through Canny Valley. T/F? If so, I may hold off on spending a ton of v-bucks.

Edit - I do not care about shock towers or punching, though I do recognize that it helps harvest materials.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

metasynthetic posted:

All I want is a blue or better Pathfinder Jess, so every 'choice' type reward I pick Outlander if I can. I got 4 goddamn blue electricity guy outlanders and with the recent troll llamas got a legendary gunslinger dude which, while cool, I have no interest in after dumping all my exp on a purple soldier lady.

Why do you not want me to like you despite having fun inside you, game? :smith:

Blue Pathfinder Jess is a quest reward sometime in Plankerton.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Evil Fluffy posted:

The sniper rifle, or the assault rifle? Both are pretty awesome.

Got the legendary auto shotgun (Tigerjaw) from one of the troll llamas and its level 25 bonus is a change to energy damage. :getin:

It's an assault rifle, it just has a scope on it and fires in 3 round bursts. Level 5 and 10 bonuses on it are 10% damage and 15% damage as well, it's great for shredding grannies.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Epic is doing its damnest in making this game fail. It's core is honestly super fun but man...

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Repair the shelter missions are really hard. So many lobbers from every direction. And the build limit bonus is way too low to do much more than cover the shelter itself.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Bakalakadaka posted:

Repair the shelter missions are really hard. So many lobbers from every direction. And the build limit bonus is way too low to do much more than cover the shelter itself.

On missions I believe they are going to be hard, I generally ignore the build limit. You can ask people if they agree and people usually say yes. With the shelter you can add a whole new level on top with pyramids and a extra roof, so it will take a while for witches to make a hole.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Tei posted:

On missions I believe they are going to be hard, I generally ignore the build limit. You can ask people if they agree and people usually say yes. With the shelter you can add a whole new level on top with pyramids and a extra roof, so it will take a while for witches to make a hole.

To add to this, the build limit really only effects what level loot chest you get at the end of the game, and often what pitiful stuff it gives is not why most people will be playing the mission. (Either quests or specific rewards that they'll get just for completing the mission) Most won't have a problem with going 'gently caress it, level the city and build a goddamn castle.'

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

This is how I do SSD missions in the PS4:

- Send a friend invite to the guy.
- When the guy add me, I restart the game.
- I join him and ask to load the map "to learn it".
- If the guy have to build half the base, I stay a while, if he is a slow builder, I quit and tell him to send me a message when he is ready.
- If the base is Ok, I ask the owner if is ok to invite people (they all say "yes please") then I sent mass invites (I invite people on the menus, not people doing missions)

The rewards for SSD missions are pretty fat, like 6600 Hero xp + 4 minillamas that can have mats, diverse mats in gray items forms. I believe is going to be nerfed in the near future.

Low level SSDs you can do with a blade, so you use not ammo. If you can do 3 SSDs in quick succession you end with so much scheme and hero XP you will not know where to put it.

Many people don't really want help for SSD's, but they find SSD's can't really be done by a single person in the high levels, except if you are some sort of turret defense mastermind. So people try the high levels SSD's, have the mobs ruin half their base. Then feel forced to ask for help.

Tei fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 17, 2017

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Good lord. I can't log in because it says my game is no up to date.
Reinitialize the launcher, verify cache and... nope.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Drakenel posted:

To add to this, the build limit really only effects what level loot chest you get at the end of the game, and often what pitiful stuff it gives is not why most people will be playing the mission. (Either quests or specific rewards that they'll get just for completing the mission) Most won't have a problem with going 'gently caress it, level the city and build a goddamn castle.'

The weird thing to me is that most missions where you defend an objective give you a way higher limit than you need. Most fight the storm/ride the lightning/retrieve the data missions I barely use half the limit. But on the shelter missions you get less than 100 (on the ones I've done anyway) where you need half of it just to cover the objective on top of needing omnidirectional defenses unless it's in a really favorable spot.

It's not a huge deal but the score at the end does result in extra rewards, which is especially nice when the mission had something you need like rain or lightning.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

Is for things like this that I feel the current team of Fortnite is made of the youngers devs in Epic. They can't wait until the patch is distributed around all servers in the world to press the red button "you need this patch to play" or whatever system other games use to not annoy users.

Tei fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 17, 2017

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Latest patch notes are hilarious to me. I guess the fucky DPS numbers on the schematics are caused by oversight/incompetence rather than actively trying to deceive players? I mean, the adage is to never assume maliciousness where incompetence can explain something, but uh. That's pretty incompetent at math for a mathematics adjacent career. I suspect that a wave of weapon re-balancing will occur at some point when they realize their DPS numbers don't account for reload times.

Relevant section:

Fortnite 1.4.7 Patch Notes posted:

Rate of Fire and Damage buff effects of War Cry combine multiplicatively (you deal increased damage, and you do so more often)

War Cry was not initially balanced with this in mind
War Cry has been rebalanced to account for multiplicative Rate of Fire and Damage buff effects

The new values (40% boost to rate of fire and final damage) work out to 96% more damage while the buff is up. Which since the old values were 50% suggests their balance team originally added the rate of fire and damage buffs.

Also the patch notes explain to me why everyone was going ga-ga over the Special Forces soldier when the intended math put her solidly middle tier. She was bugged to do 43% more damage than the intended values.

TheBlandName fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 17, 2017

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Dravs posted:

It's an assault rifle, it just has a scope on it and fires in 3 round bursts. Level 5 and 10 bonuses on it are 10% damage and 15% damage as well, it's great for shredding grannies.

Sounds like the Deathstalker. I have 13.3% headshot damage and 21% crit chance on my lvl 5 and 10 bonuses, with 21% crit chance at 15, 30% reload speed at 20, and 60% crit damage at 25. The 60% crit damage will be nice if/when I level this thing to 25 but I'd rather have it deal energy damage.

The extra headshot damage is nice and with Steady Aim on a soldier it's basically a triple shot sniper rifle that drops most husks in no time at all. Then toss in the urban assault soldier I use who also has Make It Rain which increases rate of fire when you headshot an enemy and it's real good.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
After gaining ground, I've seem to hit a wall on quest page 3 or 4 of Plankytown. Completed missions are showing MAYBE 2 bars of increase on the completed mission screen. Surely there's a bug, because I can't see how I can get to higher levels in my lifetime.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Kameh posted:

After gaining ground, I've seem to hit a wall on quest page 3 or 4 of Plankytown. Completed missions are showing MAYBE 2 bars of increase on the completed mission screen. Surely there's a bug, because I can't see how I can get to higher levels in my lifetime.
There are a couple of things the game doesn't actually tell you about progression:

1) You can actually be successful in missions a decent bit higher than your personal home base rating. Not only do your stats increase when you join others due to everyone's party bonus stats, but a lot of people have higher rating weapons than are required for the missions. The rating of your hero, weapon, and base are all supposed to be equal, but won't be for a lot of people.

2) Leveling up with commander XP/skills is not the main way to increase your power outside a few key purchases. Survivors are. So you want to beeline all survivor unlocks with your skill points (especially leads you have a match for), but otherwise most skills add very little to your power.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I'd go so far as to say not to spend your skill points on the basic +1 FORT nodes if you don't have to, just save them for the next skill tier. Maybe backfill later on when you're getting 4 per levelup or something. I'm in early Plankerton and my survivors are worth 80 - 160 in each stat.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Inzombiac posted:

STILL CAN'T PLAY.
GOOD GAME.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
I think the best possible endgame for this is essentially and Endless mode with escalating rewards for staying longer. This is where clever base building & teamwork will really matter. Hopefully, they actually implement it properly.

• Locked thread