Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fart City posted:

The Stand has a loving crazy stacked cast, especially for it's time. Plus it gave a lot of love to too-often underutilized character actors like Matt Frewer and Miguel Ferrer. But the book is so expansive in scope, a miniseries still almost feels too small. A full series on premium cable would be amazing.

The Stand had a ton of people who weren't quite famous yet.

Someone recognizable enough was a staple of TV movies; The Tommyknockers had Marg Helgenburger in it, while The Langoliers had Dean Stockwell and Bronson Pinchot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Iron Crowned posted:

The Stand had a ton of people who weren't quite famous yet.

Someone recognizable enough was a staple of TV movies; The Tommyknockers had Marg Helgenburger in it, while The Langoliers had Dean Stockwell and Bronson Pinchot.

Rob Lowe and Molly Ringwald were definitely famous. Gary Sinese was right on the cusp (pretty sure this was right as he was moving off stage and onto screen). Wasn't Jamie Sheridan a regular on Law & Order? Or was that afterwards?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fart City posted:

Rob Lowe and Molly Ringwald were definitely famous. Gary Sinese was right on the cusp (pretty sure this was right as he was moving off stage and onto screen). Wasn't Jamie Sheridan a regular on Law & Order? Or was that afterwards?

I forgot about Molly Ringwald, it's been a while. But yeah Jamie Sheridan was the Captain on Criminal Intent, which was several years later, I'm pretty sure him and Gary Sinese were both unknowns at the time.

Violator
May 15, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

I think I actually read the book and it was terrible. Didn't the squid have the ability to walk on dry land and sort of stalk the town like Jack the Ripper?

I don't think so, the squids are gigantic. Are you thinking of the other Benchley book where the Nazi-created man shark could convert its lungs from water to air to walk on land? They also made that into a TV movie.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah, that was the book "White Shark". I didn't know there was a movie made out of that one too, though.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Patrick Hockstetter is by far the most terrifying part of the novel and I hope they do something with him. He's not some extra dimensional monster or some bully manipulated by said monster. He's just a young psychopath. Human life means nothing to him because he doesn't perceive people as real. A mundane "evil" that goes unnoticed.

Unfortunately his most notable parts of the novel (killing his baby brother, giving Bowers a handy) are almost certainly not going to make it into the movie.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007
http://vr.itthemovie.com/#_=_

So this just popped up on my facebook. A little 4 minute 3D 360 video thing. You get to look in the drain (which honestly creeped me out more than I thought it would). Pretty cool and creepy and I was just watching it on my laptop don't have any actual 3D equipment.

BlackJosh fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 16, 2017

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

The Stand was a fairly ok TV miniseries adaptation that I would either rank at or just around IT. Just the same, it's a network TV adaption and there's a loving ton of hosed up poo poo from the book that it could've used.

An honest to God Netflix or HBO adaptation that spent time in No Great Loss area, or more time on how the fascist military overreaction to everything made everything worse, would be great.

I'd rather see HBO tackle The Great And Secret Show which kicks the poo poo out of The Stand.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Yaws posted:

Patrick Hockstetter is by far the most terrifying part of the novel and I hope they do something with him.

They will. I can't imagine them glossing over it based on the tone I've seen them setting so far.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Patrick definitely scared me the most, followed by Henry Bowers, followed by bevs psychopath husband.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

They will. I can't imagine them glossing over it based on the tone I've seen them setting so far.
The thing that hinders it isn't tone, more that the plot construction and movement of a movie is just a different beast than a novel. A book, especially a long one like It, is something you sit with for awhile and feels like episodes. I think in the context of the movie, diversions into side characters can seem vestigial if it doesn't support the movement of the plot.

Honestly, I'm a bit bummed how light the campaign has been. I'd love to see stuff like that goes deeper into Derry's history.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

BlackJosh posted:

http://vr.itthemovie.com/#_=_

So this just popped up on my facebook. A little 4 minute 3D 360 video thing. You get to look in the drain (which honestly creeped me out more than I thought it would). Pretty cool and creepy and I was just watching it on my laptop don't have any actual 3D equipment.

Just checked this out in VR and it's surprisingly good for a 360 3d video advertisement. Pretty creepy and revealed a few more details of that plot to be honest. This was already mentioned before, but in the 3d trailer you hear georgie straight up saying presumably to bill that he wants to go home, everything will be better if bill just comes and takes him home. You also see his walkie talkie down in the sewer so I'm assuming I was right in that bill will keep hearing messages from "georgie" tormenting him and so rescuing georgie is his big drive and why he knows the monster has to be in the sewers. They also seem to show what I assume will be IT's lair, which if its the case... I'm disappointed its just in the sewer and not in ancient caverns below everything. Maybe it will be like the TV movie in that way and the adult's story will go deeper? I don't know.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 16, 2017

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
I never got to see the Stand, so after the discussion here I thought I'd watch. Wow, it's real bad - even performers who I've seen have solid performances elsewhere are pretty bad.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I mean, it was made by the guy whose best movie by far is Critters 2. The Stephen King miniseries has the ability to turn any actor into garbage mainly because they were either made by TV hacks or low rent horror directors.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Timeless Appeal posted:

The thing that hinders it isn't tone, more that the plot construction and movement of a movie is just a different beast than a novel. A book, especially a long one like It, is something you sit with for awhile and feels like episodes. I think in the context of the movie, diversions into side characters can seem vestigial if it doesn't support the movement of the plot.

Honestly, I'm a bit bummed how light the campaign has been. I'd love to see stuff like that goes deeper into Derry's history.

It's pretty frustrating dealing with die-hard fans of books who get overly critical of film adaptations. They're almost always overly critical of little bits that would totally ruin the pacing of something crammed into a 2 hour runtime. You can have an excellent adaptation, but apparently the whole movie is ruined because they didn't go into the history of the gay bar in the beginning.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

clockworx posted:

I never got to see the Stand, so after the discussion here I thought I'd watch. Wow, it's real bad - even performers who I've seen have solid performances elsewhere are pretty bad.

Agreed. Same with "IT". Lost of wasted talent on screen for some reason giving really bad performances. Maybe there were limited takes due to budget constraints or maybe they just had bad directors. I was also really confused watching The Stand because it took me forever to piece together that they had combined two main characters into Laura San Giacomo's role and I had fairly recently re-read the book.

Not sure what led to that decision either.

EDIT:

Origami Dali posted:

I mean, it was made by the guy whose best movie by far is Critters 2. The Stephen King miniseries has the ability to turn any actor into garbage mainly because they were either made by TV hacks or low rent horror directors.

That answers that then.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

I was also really confused watching The Stand because it took me forever to piece together that they had combined two main characters into Laura San Giacomo's role and I had fairly recently re-read the book.

Hah, it's been so long I barely noticed this. The initial pill addict that Larry meets in NYC is Rita. Nadine comes later. They would have been fine just dropping Rita entirely, especially with how they handled it.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Critters 2 owns tho

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
If any of you guys are in LA, there's a recreation of the House on Niebolt Street on the intersection of Hollywood and Vine. I passed by there today and it looks pretty awesome. I saw someone dressed up as Georgie go inside.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Violator posted:

I don't think so, the squids are gigantic. Are you thinking of the other Benchley book where the Nazi-created man shark could convert its lungs from water to air to walk on land? They also made that into a TV movie.

Yeah, if I remember right the big twist/reveal was that the squid they capture was the baby and the mother was still loving poo poo up.

I remember loving the fact that William Peterson and Larry Drake were in it.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

clockworx posted:

I would say out of the King miniseries, The Stand's the one that really suffers hard from the limitations of TV. Granted they all do to varying degrees, but something like The Stand really needed the modern cable format to shine (no pun intended). Instead, it got crunched down into four parts with commercial breaks and the content limits from network TV. For back in '94 it was something. I still remember feeling the excitement chills when the camera pans through the complex to Don't Fear the Reaper when it first aired, but watching it a decade plus later, the limits they had are glaring.

And I loved the Critters films, even if 4 was a bit of a clunker.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

VoodooXT posted:

If any of you guys are in LA, there's a recreation of the House on Niebolt Street on the intersection of Hollywood and Vine. I passed by there today and it looks pretty awesome. I saw someone dressed up as Georgie go inside.

This sounds amazing and way too scary hah.
Anyone going there?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I rewatched the 1990 It miniseries last night and hoo boy it's pretty bad. I finished a re-read of the book about a week ago and it's amazing how over time my brain mushed the two together The stuff with the kids in the miniseries is OK but feels more like the Goonies than a horror movie and the stuff with the adults was basically just pretty bad.

There's a lot of stuff that they crammed in the miniseries without context so for someone who hasn't read the book like my girlfriend she was just confused. "Why does the asylum guard guy have a bunch of coins in his hand? Why did It turn into a dog in a clown outfit?" - they give no backstory to the guard so none of it makes any sense.

KISS ME FAT BOY is still hilarious tho.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

M_Sinistrari posted:

I would say out of the King miniseries, The Stand's the one that really suffers hard from the limitations of TV. Granted they all do to varying degrees, but something like The Stand really needed the modern cable format to shine (no pun intended). Instead, it got crunched down into four parts with commercial breaks and the content limits from network TV. For back in '94 it was something. I still remember feeling the excitement chills when the camera pans through the complex to Don't Fear the Reaper when it first aired, but watching it a decade plus later, the limits they had are glaring.

I think there's a DVD version of The Stand that includes commentary by Mick Garris and King, and it's actually pretty interesting - that's exactly what they talk about, how ABC wanted them to make THE STAND, 99 percent of civilization dying and left to rot, but, uh, we're on network TV, can you not have so many dead bodies in it please?

Like you said, the opening credits tour through the Project Blue Facility is limited - Garris said they fought the network on, you know, showing the dead bodies of everyone there.

I think The Stand is still my favorite of King's ABC miniseries/movies. There's poo poo they totally nail (that opening with Don't Fear the Reaper, Sinise as Stu, Walston as Glen, Stu's escape from the CDC, Glen facing down Flagg at the end, etc.) and stuff that's seriously meh (anything with Nadine; they needed to do the whole physical transformation with Harold that they do in the book to show how he develops and welp, let's just do Parker Lewis; the literal hand of God at the end; underutilizing Miguel Ferrer, Matt Frewer and others) but overall it does a decent job of getting the feel of the book across even with the content and budget limitations.

I'll be honest, I don't get the dislike for Jamey Sheridan as Flagg, I thought he was fine. Flagg is cheesy as hell in the book 90 percent of the time when he's not doing dark magic poo poo, and I thought Sheridan did that stuff well. What screws him is them insisting on "let's give him CGI devil face" anytime he got mad and it looks bad, I think it's clear Sheridan was perfectly capable of doing the abrupt mood switches without that.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Bruteman posted:

I'll be honest, I don't get the dislike for Jamey Sheridan as Flagg, I thought he was fine. Flagg is cheesy as hell in the book 90 percent of the time when he's not doing dark magic poo poo, and I thought Sheridan did that stuff well. What screws him is them insisting on "let's give him CGI devil face" anytime he got mad and it looks bad, I think it's clear Sheridan was perfectly capable of doing the abrupt mood switches without that.

He's my favorite part of the miniseries. He nails friendly-evil.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, he was a really inspired casting choice. A very 90's Dude but it's not like the one from the book isn't mostly a 70's stereotype.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Bruteman posted:

I think there's a DVD version of The Stand that includes commentary by Mick Garris and King, and it's actually pretty interesting - that's exactly what they talk about, how ABC wanted them to make THE STAND, 99 percent of civilization dying and left to rot, but, uh, we're on network TV, can you not have so many dead bodies in it please?

Like you said, the opening credits tour through the Project Blue Facility is limited - Garris said they fought the network on, you know, showing the dead bodies of everyone there.

I think The Stand is still my favorite of King's ABC miniseries/movies. There's poo poo they totally nail (that opening with Don't Fear the Reaper, Sinise as Stu, Walston as Glen, Stu's escape from the CDC, Glen facing down Flagg at the end, etc.) and stuff that's seriously meh (anything with Nadine; they needed to do the whole physical transformation with Harold that they do in the book to show how he develops and welp, let's just do Parker Lewis; the literal hand of God at the end; underutilizing Miguel Ferrer, Matt Frewer and others) but overall it does a decent job of getting the feel of the book across even with the content and budget limitations.

I really can't say any of the miniseries adaptations were outright godawful, but then I first saw them all when they aired. Compared to other miniseries/tv movies of the week going on at the time, they're on par for the era. Comparing them to the redone ones from around 2000, I'd say the redone ones are closer to the books, but even then, they still have the network TV limitations even as more relaxed as they were compared to earlier. I would like to see Salem's Lot and The Stand redone on either cable or Netflix, just to see how much closer those manage to be unless they ever go the theatrical release route.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

I think I actually read the book and it was terrible. Didn't the squid have the ability to walk on dry land and sort of stalk the town like Jack the Ripper?

No, that's Creature/White Shark, where it was part man part fish or something.

The Beast was an okay book; I read it as a teenager, and it was better than Jaws (book) which is not really that good at all.

edit: whoops, missed a page

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

M_Sinistrari posted:

I really can't say any of the miniseries adaptations were outright godawful, but then I first saw them all when they aired. Compared to other miniseries/tv movies of the week going on at the time, they're on par for the era. Comparing them to the redone ones from around 2000, I'd say the redone ones are closer to the books, but even then, they still have the network TV limitations even as more relaxed as they were compared to earlier. I would like to see Salem's Lot and The Stand redone on either cable or Netflix, just to see how much closer those manage to be unless they ever go the theatrical release route.

With how much goes on in the Stand, it could easily be a multi-season series, which I'm all for

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

M_Sinistrari posted:

I'd say the best of the miniseries is Storm of the Century, mainly because it's written straight for the miniseries format and isn't really "missing anything." IT is terribly neutered to the point of ridiculousness, The Stand is basically The Stand lite, etc.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Salems Lot is freaking awesome, I would consider that the best mini-series.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Well what about The Tommyk-

Oh wait, right, right...

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Iron Crowned posted:

With how much goes on in the Stand, it could easily be a multi-season series, which I'm all for

It could make a really miniseries, IMO. I'm thinking of the Coming to America segments in American Gods, with episodes introing with 5-10 minute segments about lovely stuff that's happened in Derry that might not be related to the stuff that goes on in the meat of the episode.

E: better than the miniseries that exists, also longer.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Thats a rad poster. Also makes me realize how much I'm hoping the movie emphasizes how gross it was and the literal poo poo they crawled through on hands and knees. It was so sanitized in the TV movie, like they were walking through a basement for 5 minutes.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Isn't one of the clips from the trailer them wading into a sewer pipe and one of them, probably Eddie, standing on dry land and telling the others they're swimming in human waste and are all gonna die from Cholera?

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

FreudianSlippers posted:

Isn't one of the clips from the trailer them wading into a sewer pipe and one of them, probably Eddie, standing on dry land and telling the others they're swimming in human waste and are all gonna die from Cholera?

I remember this too, definitely a thing.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I got my tickets today for the opening Friday!

Now I just need to finish reading the book (600 pages to go!) and probably re-watch the miniseries to reach maximum hype.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Darko posted:

I'd say the best of the miniseries is Storm of the Century, mainly because it's written straight for the miniseries format and isn't really "missing anything." IT is terribly neutered to the point of ridiculousness, The Stand is basically The Stand lite, etc.

STORM OF THE CENTURY is great, though I believe that's also neutered from what King wanted to do (his script is a bit more violent). The performances are really solid and the ending is a killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

It was from an early sneak peek at the MTV Movie awards. I loved the banter in that scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-0PnsATSbc

• Locked thread