Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Crazy Ted posted:

The Big Ten hosed up college hockey, which is unforgivable.

Nah, college hockey even better now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Nah, college hockey even better now

man i love ya and i'm happy your school has a team now but this is just hilariously wrong

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

iospace posted:

Also true :smith:

Rip UW vs NoDak every year.

My mom HATES that Penn State got added. She's cool with Nebraska, because ok, sure, it's a bit of a stretch to call it "Midwest" but it's close enough that no one notices. She despises the fact that Maryland and Rutgers got added.

Nebraska is like the definition of Midwest. It's just Great Plains Midwest and not Great Lakes.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Henchman of Santa posted:

Nebraska is like the definition of Midwest. It's just Great Plains Midwest and not Great Lakes.

That's true.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
At the time Penn State was like the biggest no brainer addition possible outside of I guess maybe Notre Dame

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MourningView posted:

At the time Penn State was like the biggest no brainer addition possible outside of I guess maybe Notre Dame

I'll concede that, but Notre Dame is not going to join a conference for Football unless they're told they can't make it to the playoff otherwise.

Funny enough, their hockey team is now Big Ten.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
How much longer is Notre Dame's NBC TV deal for, that's the only reason they pretend like they are still relevant, right

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Notre Dame has zero reason to join any conference in football if they maintain the NBC deal.

E: ^^^ I think it's through 2022 at this point

E2: I'm dumb!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ElwoodCuse posted:

How much longer is Notre Dame's NBC TV deal for, that's the only reason they pretend like they are still relevant, right

2025. So a while still.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Crazy Ted posted:

The Big Ten hosed up college hockey, which is unforgivable.

As someone who has barely watched any college hockey, how did they gently caress it up?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

As someone who has barely watched any college hockey, how did they gently caress it up?

Creating the B1G hockey conference destroyed two very good conferences in the CCHA and WCHA. B1G hockey is basically a joke these days.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ElwoodCuse posted:

I hope the Champions League streaming stuff is free with a cable subscription unlike that NBC gold bullshit
Man are you ever a funny guy. They're literally going through the trouble of developing their own paid streaming service for the Champions League.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

IIRC, PSU to B1G was panned because everyone assumed every single year would be like 94

DJExile posted:

Creating the B1G hockey conference destroyed two very good conferences in the CCHA and WCHA. B1G hockey is basically a joke these days.

Nah. The conference tourney sucks, but the quality of play is pretty good imo. Its not HE or NCHC, but still p good. Way better than ECAC imo

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

iospace posted:

I'll concede that, but Notre Dame is not going to join a conference for Football unless they're told they can't make it to the playoff otherwise.

Funny enough, their hockey team is now Big Ten.

Notre Dame is some half rear end ACC member now

So instead of games against UM, MSU, and Purdue? We get treated to "historical" match ups against Wake loving Forrest now. As a Purdue fan? it sucks we got our biggest rival in football taken away.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Crazy Ted posted:

Man are you ever a funny guy. They're literally going through the trouble of developing their own paid streaming service for the Champions League.

I'll take off work and go to a bar before I will pay money to stream Champions League matches I'm already paying money for at home

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

So instead of games against UM, MSU, and Purdue? We get treated to "historical" match ups against Wake loving Forrest now. As a Purdue fan? it sucks we got our biggest rival in football taken away.

Not for nothing but Purdue's biggest opponent has been relevance for the last decade plus and they're not really winning that fight

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

DJExile posted:

Not for nothing but Purdue's biggest opponent has been relevance for the last decade plus and they're not really winning that fight

When Tiller took them over in 1997 he had them consistently in decent Bowl Games (Alamo, Outback, Rose, and Citrus were notable ones they went to). The 2000 team was an incredible watch, it's actually what got me into football. Drew Brees is without doubt, the greatest quarterback I've seen play college football. Period.

They went into this psuedo hibernation after that because they couldn't find a guy to replace Brees. Enter in 2003? Kyle Orton. A QB that for some reason fit Tiller's offense that at times took gambles and was one of the offenses that actually inspired how guys like Les Milers and Urban Meyer would play ball down in the SEC. They were number 12 in the country by the time they played UGA in the aforementioned Citrus Bowl and lost a classic in OT. :negative:

Still 04? They started red-loving-hot. They started 5 and 0. They beat Notre Dame AT Notre Dame (that's a big deal for Purdue fans). Kyle Orton was being talked about as a Heisman candidate. There were projections (I kid you not) of them going to the Fiesta Bowl at that point. They were Number 5 in the country. They had college gameday. Then...Kyle Orton got hurt in the Wisconsin game...and it destroyed the entire season.

For whatever reason...Tiller got more conservative, tried going away from the "Gimmick" that made him successful and the team just got consistently mediocre. He stepped away, and Danny hope came in. He wasn't much better. Then they hired a coach from my Alma Mater and I cringed when they did it because his offense was not a "Purdue" offense.

We'll see how this year goes with Brohm, but man...they gotta go back to running a "gimmick" offense like they did from 97 to 04. Otherwise they're irrelevant.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

My lone annoyance with the Big Ten is how they kinda went East with expansion since 1992 or so.

Penn State, Rutgers and Maryland are such awkward fits in the conference. I really wish they had been able to get Notre Dame instead, along with some of the Big 8 schools (Sans OU/OSU). Playing Kansas makes more sense from a culture fit than playing Rutgers.

They just wanted to get the Big 10 Network on cable carriers in the tri-state area and DC. I believe it worked.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Niwrad posted:

They just wanted to get the Big 10 Network on cable carriers in the tri-state area and DC. I believe it worked.

It was exactly this and it did. All the other teams are going to make something like $50+mil this year each from BTN. In addition, adding rutgers also means Michigan, OSU and Penn State all get to replace a guaranteed win over an FCS team with a guaranteed conference win

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Well, there goes my viewing plans for Tuesdays-Thursdays during the fall-spring. For all the faults Fox Sports has with UCL/UEL, they at least utilized their networks to show the matches on television. There is no excuse, NONE, for TBS and TNT to not show any UCL matches until the final. What's so important, Law & Order reruns?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

FuzzySkinner posted:

Notre Dame will never join the Big 10 because they know they'd get hustled and all their horseshit legacy would go out the window and people would realize they're mid-tier at best. Like I'd bet good money on Purdue and Indiana beating Nortre Dame every single year.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Peanut President posted:

Notre Dame will never join the Big 10 because they know they'd get hustled and all their horseshit legacy would go out the window and people would realize they're mid-tier at best. Like I'd bet good money on Purdue and Indiana beating Nortre Dame every single year.

Academic standards prevent them from being OSU-good and instead relegate them to being "Northwestern every 4 years" good.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

It's absolutely not academic standards.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Peanut President posted:

Notre Dame sucks and is way overrated, but yeah betting on Indiana to beat any FBS team every year is pretty much setting money on fire.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Peanut President posted:

This is a really dumb thing to say. Not because you're wrong about Notre Dame but because you're wrong about Purdue and Indiana. Like REALLY wrong.

Notre Dame is nowhere near as good as they once were, but they are miles beyond Indiana and Purdue which are garbage tier power 5 teams.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pretty sure Purdue's last AD said they were just moving all the BTN money into academic fields and largely foregoing athletics, not that you could really blame him

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Well, there goes my viewing plans for Tuesdays-Thursdays during the fall-spring. For all the faults Fox Sports has with UCL/UEL, they at least utilized their networks to show the matches on television. There is no excuse, NONE, for TBS and TNT to not show any UCL matches until the final. What's so important, Law & Order reruns?

The reruns will get better ratings.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

Academic standards prevent them from being OSU-good and instead relegate them to being "Northwestern every 4 years" good.

Academics will hold them back from being a perennial contender but schools like Stanford have been great with higher academic standards than Notre Dame.

I don't think Notre Dame got worse over the years, I just think other schools got better through more exposure. Once cable TV and the internet came around you had access to watching so much more football. As a kid I'd get a Big 10 game, a national game, and Notre Dame. You saw Notre Dame more than any school in the country.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

iospace posted:

2025. So a while still.

And Notre Dame is NBC's only skin in the CFB game. So unless NBC either drops the nations' 2nd most popular sport or somehow picks up a conference deal themselves, they and Notre Dame will be handcuffed to each other for a good long while.

Now just wait until the Big XII falls apart and Texas gets the same deal to join the ACC :unsmigghh:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

So uh, I guess Shannon Sharpe lied about John Wooten's quotes on Hue Jackson

https://twitter.com/ShadowLeagueTSL/status/897476588673146884

quote:

Sharpe ripped Jackson for saying he hoped all his players would stand for the anthem and for not expressing more support for athletes’ right to protest. He called Jackson a “clown” and added “in the barbershop, he knows what he is.”

“I took issue with what Shannon said and the reason I took issue with it is because he made it appear that he and I had a discussion about this,” Wooten said Thursday. “That’s simply not true. I told him first and foremost, he owes Hue an apology. What he did to Hue is something I would not support, especially the language.”

https://theathletic.com/86060/2017/...-for-criticism/

That's loving disgusting. As a Browns fan I know the uphill battle this guy has, and frankly I completely understand why he'd be adverse to such things at the moment.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Players protesting has nothing to do with the Browns being good or not, so uh what.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Players protesting has nothing to do with the Browns being good or not, so uh what.

I would imagine for him he's probably on edge about this team at least looking like it's on the same page and not wanting to create a negative atmosphere. It seems to be more of that and less of a "ALL LIVES MATTER/BLUE LIVES MATTER/:911"-thing.

In the article Joe Haden (veteran) said the overall vibe was "If you do it? Just please let me know so I'm not off guard. I'm not personally for it, but just let me know". I think Sharpe's words were uncalled for and the responses I'm seeing in agreement to Sharpe (who has made Hue look like some sort of Villain) has been to hurl racist slurs at the man. (c--n, using the graphic of someone doing a minstrel show, etc). He also kinda made implication that Hue was an "Uncle Tom" and didn't deserve the opportunity as an NFL head coach.

The man he name checks (John Wooten) is also appalled at it, and said it was uncalled for. I don't think that dragging the man's name through the mud is constructive nor is it good.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--Hue said something that was at the least not particularly well thought out and gives the very impression you're worried about him receiving.

CharlestheHammer posted:

No, but even though Jed York and Dan Snyder have gone back to dominating the headlines recently Jimmy Haslam has a strong claim for worst owner in the NFL. So it absolutely could contribute to Hue's chances of keeping his job after the organization hands him a bunch of nothing to try to win games with.

I don't agree with him his original statement and...his clarification was pretty meh, but I can understand.

I'll also note that there's no John Wooten quotes in that bit, the problem is Sharpe made up a phone conversation and said what he imagined he would have been saying to Wooten without clarifying. Which is still plenty slimy enough for Wooten to get mad about, I don't blame him at all.

e: If Wooten's name was removed from all of that dumb stuff and it was just Sharpe going off on what sure sounds like a "don't protest" quote would your opinion change out of curiosity?

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 19, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'd also like to note for the record that I think Shannon Sharpe and anyone who appears with Skip Bayless on TV is almost by definition a big old poo poo stirring dummy.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

I'll also note that there's no John Wooten quotes in that bit, the problem is Sharpe made up a phone conversation and said what he imagined he would have been saying to Wooten without clarifying. Which is still plenty slimy enough for Wooten to get mad about, I don't blame him at all.

I imagine for a guy like Wooten, as both an advocate for African American coaches and a former Brown? He probably wants to see Hue succeed. He's probably also more than likely spoken with the man and knows his character. The same cannot be said (more than likely) for Shannon Sharpe.

The team will probably be lucky to win 4 games. But I really want to see him succeed. He seems like a good coach and a decent guy by all accounts. This team needs time though. The Jimmy Haslam factor is absolutely there and yeah...I'm a bit concerned about that.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

e: If Wooten's name was removed from all of that dumb stuff and it was just Sharpe going off on what sure sounds like a "don't protest" quote would your opinion change out of curiosity?

I'd be mixed.

On one hand I can understand where Hue would be coming from. There's a whole "Team as one" culture that is really drilled into your head when your involved in organized sports. So from that angle? it's understandable. Perhaps if he had a veteran in his family? I'd also understand his objection, and wouldn't fault him on that angle..

On the other? I'd be critical if he say ripped a guy like Haden, Crowell or Joe Thomas in the press for choosing to protest such a thing. This is :911:. You have that right. It's your freedom of speech, people have died for the ability to have that.

I do believe that implying he's a "uncle tom", "c--n" or any number of things in that situation is still uncalled for and sick. The man is fighting an uphill battle and doesn't deserve that poo poo from any side.

e: as a whole? The national anthem at games is kinda silly in some aspects. I think about the only genuine feeling of patriotism I've ever gotten from such a ceremony was from the Indianapolis 500 where they seemed to be sincere in honoring those that had fallen.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 19, 2017

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I would like to congratulate the NBCSN broadcast team for calling out the practice of Buschwhacking* in the NASCAR lower series by stating that "These aren't cup races, but Kyle has some good competition in Xfinity like Logano or Dale Jr"

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

IIRC, PSU to B1G was panned because everyone assumed every single year would be like 94

Nah. The conference tourney sucks, but the quality of play is pretty good imo. Its not HE or NCHC, but still p good. Way better than ECAC imo

You do know that like 2 or 3 of the last 6 champs are ECAC and half the Big Ten would be struggling to break into the top half of that conference

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
in case anyone isn't familiar with Buschwhacking, you know all of those hypotheticals people like to make about what would happen if the best NCAA football team played the worst NFL team that pop up from time to time?

imagine that, but basically substitute worst NFL team but with the Patriots

and this happens for half a season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
The Big Ten is legitimately at best the tied 4th best of six conferences better than ECAC lmbo what jim delaney rear end taste like fam