Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

rip

I have watched a few videos of UG:CW but I was hoping to get a feel for playing before the 2 hour refund mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Palpek posted:

I thought Dear Esther was ok but to me its storytelling strength lied more in the environment design and not in the narration. There have been definitely better walking simulators made since its release but at the time the idea was pretty fresh especially when it was still a free mod for HL2. I liked the execution of the ending.

yeah that's fair. I wouldn't disagree that most of its renown comes from being first of a genre, but I personally like the 'a lot from a little' approach to narrative and the music/prose/reading/environment work well together imo.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

So I'm killing time trying to get tired to go to bed and decide to hit up whatsonsteam.com to see what pile of trash has hit Steam recently and come to realize how utterly sad I am at all the amazing and fantastic ideas being put out there with the shittiest execution possible.

Here's Outracer: http://store.steampowered.com/app/669350
A game that is ripping off everything about the best F-Zero, F-Zero X from the N64 (even minute details like only being able to boost after finishing lap 1,) but is the only racing game I know of that includes a map editor and tube tracks (my favorite) but looks like trash.

Here's The Trail: Frontier Challenge: http://store.steampowered.com/app/584370
Peter Molyneux's latest title (yes, really) that was free to play on mobile devices but is now going for 15 bucks on PC and will likely be completely ignored, wasting all the development dollars Petey has left and looks like trash.

Here's Lethal Laser: http://store.steampowered.com/app/669390
A tower defense game all about managing lasers with reflections and refractions and whatever else you can do with lasers. It's a really cool idea but it looks like trash!

Here's Crushing Blow: http://store.steampowered.com/app/653760
This is a neat idea! Use tools to crush garbage while also saving specific items for recycling. According to the 1 review it has, this game that looks graphically just fine apparently runs like trash! Also, it's very much someone's version of the PS3 title Trash Panic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5j1AzAw-cQ

Klondike Solitaire Kings: http://store.steampowered.com/app/690670
It's loving solitaire. I love solitaire but... who still tries to sell solitaire? And if you do, why do you let it look like trash?!

And for that matter...

WHY

DOES

THIS

poo poo

EXIST?!

Ugh... Steam was a bad idea.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Aug 17, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

mystery fluid posted:

I've never tried a Football Manager game and a lot of the bad reviews are saying that it does nothing new. Is it a pretty good game if you're a first timer?

It's the single best management game out there, even if you're not a footie fan. Expect to be totally swamped if you're not familiar with it.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!

deep dish peat moss posted:

There was some discussion about DRPGs/First Person dungeon-crawls/Wizardry-likes back around page 30 and it seemed like no one had played all/most of them, so I went ahead and played Stranger of Sword City, Elminage: Gothic, and Operation Babel: New Tokyo Legacy in a strange fit of addiction to the genre. These are all written from the perspective of enjoying the game and just comparing them to each other because if you like one game in the genre, the rest are pretty much more of the same.

As a dude who just stumbled into Sword City recently, thanks for this post. It's been hitting a weirdly masochistic button deep inside of me, and it's heartening to know there are more weird japanese slamming-your-dong-in-a-car-door simulators to dig into once I've tired of robbing giants of their underwear boxes.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Knobb Manwich posted:

rip

I have watched a few videos of UG:CW but I was hoping to get a feel for playing before the 2 hour refund mark.

What issues were you having? At its core it's really just "left click on unit to select it, right click on enemy to attack" stuff. It makes me sad that you've abandoned a stellar game so quickly.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

So I bought West of Loathing because I'm dumb and was confusing Kingdom of Loathing with King of Dragon Pass.

A great mistake to have made because West of Loathing rules, and also not really that big of a mistake because it's basically the same thing despite being not at all similar.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Gort posted:

What issues were you having? At its core it's really just "left click on unit to select it, right click on enemy to attack" stuff. It makes me sad that you've abandoned a stellar game so quickly.

The game is still there I'm just wary of futzing about trying to learn basic poo poo like "why did my skirmishers calmly walk towards the enemy skirmishers, let them get a volley off, let them retreat, while still sedately walking forward when they've been given a right-click attack order, repeat" within the 2 hours. Maybe they have more range than I do? Height difference? Different guns? Are my guys just really sporting and don't like shooting enemies in the back? Things like left click hold to draw movement arrows or select multiple units, right click hold to draw a defensive line is fairly self-explanatory.

I hate not having even a rough idea of what units are, what they do, what to expect from them. Or for terrain features, like roughly how much force do you need to apply to uproot 400 men from a defensive position, how beneficial that high ground is, that forest. Some kind of guided scenarios to give me a basic tactics tool box for situations like attacking, defending, delaying, scouting would be pretty good, and even better if I didn't have to turn the game off to go look for it. Or break from the campaign and save just before an attack, see how it goes, load and try another tactic.

This is the most frustrating part of any game when I don't know poo poo about how it works, and instead of doing something to ease me into it they're wasting my time with tips like, "general important gives buff to friendlies". That's awesome mate but I'm only mildly retarded and could figure that one out.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Finished the main campaign for Far Cry 4, going through the DLC. (Still could use a co-op person btw).

Anyways - "Valley of the Yetis" has the hero crash into... the titular yetis, obviously. And their valley. It's a frozen mountainscape populated entirely by cultists and monsters.

So I go through the starting mission (naturally enough, it's an hour-long mission that crashes at the very end and I'm forced to restart the whole thing).

I'm out and about in the valley, dodging yetis and shooting insane soldiers... when a Sherpa (travelling merchant) just strolls on by, and my only interaction prompt is "buy some poo poo?"

I know AJ is a sociopathic murderous retard who is befret of personality or curiousity, but how the gently caress do you include a non-hostile person and completely ignore the obvious "what the gently caress is going on here? How do I get out of this valley? What are you even doing here?" questions?

(A while later, I'm apparently telepathically informed that a farmer wants me to defend his Yak herd from some leopards. I never actually get to interact with the farmer in any form, I just know)

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Aug 17, 2017

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

sebmojo posted:

yes it was? it's orotund and self consciously poetic which might not be to your taste but it's good writing. the way the layered metaphors interplay is effective, the aleatoric aspect is cute but not in an annoying way, and the agonized introspection is both mockable and a bit affecting.

Man in love with his thesaurus likes game whose writing was up its own rear end. Shocking.

Or put another way,

corn in the bible posted:

Having metaphors does not automatically make something good or well-written.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Phlegmish posted:

Dragon's Dogma was a surprise hit for me. Check it out if 3p fantasy appeals to you at all.

If you play use my pawn, no one's hired her lately even though she's good and cool and min-maxed to hell

If you play use

ShadowMar posted:

nier automata should be at the top of your list

Xaris posted:

Hollow Knight
Prey
Nier Automata (maybe)

also sounds like you havent play rise of tomb raider yet if the last one you played was 2013.. that's also good.

Thank ya Goonies :nsa:

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Ikari Worrier posted:

Man in love with his thesaurus likes game whose writing was up its own rear end. Shocking.

Or put another way,

Can you explain why it's badly written though? You say it's bad but haven't actually expanded on what exactly about it is bad except this little bit which doesn't go into why you think the writing is crap, just that you guessed a twist and feel patronised? Although I really didn't get that from the game:

Ikari Worrier posted:

Well maybe calling it a twist was overselling it but what I mean more is that it didn't take me long to figure out oh I'm dead and this is some sort of purgatory but the game itself seemed to treat that simultaneously as a huge reveal and as a "you are likely not clever enough to figure that out so let's make the narrative increasingly unsubtle for you in the cheap seats" situation.

Note that it's been some years since I played it so I know I'm not being the most detailed.

I would genuinely like to know because I don't know much about literature but I enjoyed Dear Esther and how it made me feel while playing it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Move over Grimoire, there's a new first person dungeon crawler in town

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EUMMudTZcU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Aphex- posted:

Can you explain why it's badly written though? You say it's bad but haven't actually expanded on what exactly about it is bad except this little bit which doesn't go into why you think the writing is crap, just that you guessed a twist and feel patronised? Although I really didn't get that from the game:

I would genuinely like to know because I don't know much about literature but I enjoyed Dear Esther and how it made me feel while playing it.

me too

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Synthbuttrange posted:

Move over Grimoire, there's a new first person dungeon crawler in town

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EUMMudTZcU

Reminds me of Etrian Odyssey

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Dear Esther reads like purple prose garbage from someone trying to justify that the english degree was worth the debit it put them in.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Burning Rain posted:

if you haven't played sports management titles yet, might as well try one for your favourite sport: OOTP for baseball, FHM for hockey, Motorsport Manager for cars or DDPSB for basketball (haven't had many crashes at all with it, fwiw, but nba 2k17 has a very robust gm mode as well)

do be aware you need to be a pretty big stathead already for OOTP, as it's very Money ball: The Game

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

do be aware you need to be a pretty big stathead already for OOTP, as it's very Money ball: The Game

Yeah, OOTP is probably the dullest management game if you're not into baseball. I'd also recommend Eastside Hockey over FHM, vastly more compelling match engine that takes things a bit more out of the stats and more into the players IMHO. What I love about Football Manager especially is its adherence to personality. You really do get the faces and heels you see in real footie, you get the come-from-behind underdog tales and you have to fight against complacency above all as a top team and self-doubt as a small team. It's more of a player management game rather than a fantasy statsheet tracker. It's loving wonderful, especially for a football fan. Even if you're not a football fan, it is tremendously rewarding to learn it.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Has anyone else had a problem with Prey opening with the overlay in big picture mode? None of the other games I have installed do this. It wouldn't bother me since I don't use the overlay super often but it makes the friend toasts bigger and for some reason the FPS counter doesn't work.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Yeah, OOTP is probably the dullest management game if you're not into baseball. I'd also recommend Eastside Hockey over FHM, vastly more compelling match engine that takes things a bit more out of the stats and more into the players IMHO. What I love about Football Manager especially is its adherence to personality. You really do get the faces and heels you see in real footie, you get the come-from-behind underdog tales and you have to fight against complacency above all as a top team and self-doubt as a small team. It's more of a player management game rather than a fantasy statsheet tracker. It's loving wonderful, especially for a football fan. Even if you're not a football fan, it is tremendously rewarding to learn it.

If I have FM2014 will I see a noticeable improvement going to FM2017 (outside of roster updates and graphics)?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Dodoman posted:

If I have FM2014 will I see a noticeable improvement going to FM2017 (outside of roster updates and graphics)?

2014 to 2017, it's a decent enough update. My big issue with 2014 is they tinkered the engine to be far more stat oriented, plus I'm pretty sure that was before crossing the ball was nerfed greatly. After Leicester's win, they've done a lot to make the game much more dynamic in 17, and I'm actually actively looking forward to 18 because of it.

E: Also It's £7 for the next 2 hours!

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

Terminally Bored posted:

Carmageddon Max Damage is on sale at 75%. Is it good? I really liked Carma 1 and 2.

Yeah, it's good. It's basically Carma 2 with more event types/powerups and better graphics.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Aphex- posted:

I'll tell you what, I'll reinstall the game over the weekend and give it another try, then write up an effortpost about it. Otherwise I'm just going by what I hazily remember about the game years after having played it which doesn't help me be terribly specific.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/Steam_Spy/status/898208219675447296

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I wonder how often it happens that the majority of a given game's sales are not from Steam. Anecdotally, I buy the majority of my games during non-Steam sale periods from third-party sites like Humble, Bundle Stars, GMG, etc. because their prices tend to be better. However, I would have thought that the majority of sales over a game's lifespan come from Steam within the first few weeks before the third-party sites get a chance to offer steeper discounts.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Same, in fact the main reason I'll buy from Steam is if I think there's a chance I'll want to refund it, since Steam makes it nice and easy.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

a tweet as accurate as steam spy

singateco
Jan 28, 2013
god-damned evil monopoly ruining my right to buy 1$ bundles

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

carmaggeddon going on sale this week is extremely crass, maybe read the room guys

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Quest For Glory II posted:

carmaggeddon going on sale this week is extremely crass, maybe read the room guys
Those viral ads are getting out of hand.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

If a game has sold "a few thousand" on Steam and half a million keys have been redeemed, Valve wanting to look a little closer at it seems very reasonable.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Peewi posted:

If a game has sold "a few thousand" on Steam and half a million keys have been redeemed, Valve wanting to look a little closer at it seems very reasonable.

Selling them en masse to bundle sites, most likely. I don't really understand why they'd do this, honestly, especially if the game has cards, since they make money off of card sales.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

Selling them en masse to bundle sites, most likely. I don't really understand why they'd do this, honestly, especially if the game has cards, since they make money off of card sales.

Valve doesn't want "fake games" on Steam that exist purely to make money off cards.

Yes, Valve makes money off Steam Market sales, but it certainly doesn't help public opinion among people that think there's too much poo poo on Steam.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Peewi posted:

Valve doesn't want "fake games" on Steam that exist purely to make money off cards.

Yes, Valve makes money off Steam Market sales, but it certainly doesn't help public opinion among people that think there's too much poo poo on Steam.

Why are people buying cards for fake games? This doesn't make any sense to me. Developers make fake games, put them on Steam, bots idle these games to get cards, and the cards are sold on the market. But who are the buyers? Why do they want these cards?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

Why are people buying cards for fake games? This doesn't make any sense to me. Developers make fake games, put them on Steam, bots idle these games to get cards, and the cards are sold on the market. But who are the buyers? Why do they want these cards?

Insane people who want their Steam level to be higher any means possible plus some games include unrelated maymays on their backgrounds and emoticons.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Fake Games :sad:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Sininu posted:

Insane people who want their Steam level to be higher any means possible plus some games include unrelated maymays on their backgrounds and emoticons.

I have a friend that has a lovely neon purple LEVEL 69 on her profile and I worry that my envy of it will overtake my wallet one day.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I have been on steam for 7 years, and I only learned like a couple months ago or something that steam account levels and badges exist. I can't imagine being the person who cares about that stuff, it's like a level of pointless beyond even gamerscore

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Anyone want a Dawn of War III 50% coupon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

IronicDongz posted:

I have been on steam for 7 years, and I only learned like a couple months ago or something that steam account levels and badges exist. I can't imagine being the person who cares about that stuff, it's like a level of pointless beyond even gamerscore

Steam Level actually affects how many friends you can have on Steam for some inane reason