Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
:siren: Final video: Preemptive Strike: Scene 1/Polsy

No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy In H.A.R.M.'s Way is a really good game! The sequel to The Operative, the humor has changed, the gameplay has largely improved, the gunplay has improved, the graphics have definitely improved, and all over it's an extremely solid experience. The game kicks off fairly shortly after the conclusion of No One Lives Forever 1 (which I previously LP'd here). H.A.R.M. is resurgent due to the events of Contract: J.A.C.K. which is a bad game I'll talk about here and there but otherwise ignore. Cate Archer, our brave heroine, continues to foil international plots and look kickin' rad while doing it.

As before I'm not super familiar with this game but I'm confident most of it will shake out well. These games do remain in rights limbo so unless you've got a physical copy you won't have much (legal) chance of playing it. But as always, please enjoy, and let me know if I can make any improvements.

Videos

Cate Archer Must Die!
Scene 1/Polsy

The Death of a Spy
Scene 1/Polsy

Project: Omega
Scene 1/Polsy
Scene 2/Polsy

A Spy In H.A.R.M.'s Way
Scene 1/Polsy
Scene 2/Polsy
Scene 3/Polsy

Night Flight
Scene 1/Polsy

Diary of a Double Agent
Scene 1/Polsy

Double Cross
Scene 1/Polsy
Bonus/Polsy
Scene 2/Polsy
Scene 3/Polsy
Bonus 2!/Polsy

The Art of Murder
Scene 1/Polsy
Scene 2/Polsy

Ice Station Evil
Scene 1/Polsy

The Curse of Kali
Scene 1/Polsy

The Interlopers
Scene 1/Polsy

Underwater
Scene 1/Polsy
Scene 2/Polsy
Scene 3/Polsy

Terror In The Deep
Scene 1/Polsy

Endgame
Scene 1/Polsy

Preemptive Strike
Scene 1/Polsy

oh man oh man oh man I got fanart

Akogare Zephyr posted:

I spy with my little eye a great LP!

I'm late to the party, but I'm happy to catch this before it's ended. I love both NOLF games and enjoyed the last LP so I'm pleased to come back to check on the forums to see this gem is happening<3

All that said I have some quick silly doodles because that's just what I do.

Cate got buff between games. I'm all for her just lifting and tossing lil buggers around.

Sure they go and retrieve Cate Archer, but do they grab Yamata, too? NooOOOooo. Poor guy had to get back to base all by himself.

With all the lipstick (among other things) Cate finds all over the place it's a shame there's no conversation about it. Lipstick is pretty good at helping chapped lips and all, which would totally be a problem in the cold.

I mean, sure she might be able to smell it, but it's cold and her nose is most likely compromised so tasting it would be the next best option. Cate's nothing but thorough about her findings.

All the civilians are just labelled friend in India and just <3<3<3

Akogare Zephyr posted:

I'm laaate once again, but the thread's still technically open so I call that a win. Phew!

Thanks for the LP! It's great seeing this game again. I forgot how short it was and it is a shame a third one didn't come out, but maybe some kind of spiritual successor will? I mean, there's really nothing stopping anyone from taking inspiration from this game right? Anyways, great game. Great LP.

Now for some silly doodles!

I only had time to splash colour on one, but anyways, Cate was collecting so many pink carnations she could have made a flower crown out of them.

I mean... she could have asked for money for all the effort you have to put in just to dodge super soldiers so you can deal with fires most people had an actual like escape route for.

Is this too old a reference? Doesn't matter. You probably could have put any silly thing on that hull and he would have freaked out. Haha

Of course it wasn't going to work on him. Like duh.

Thanks again for the fun LP! And awhoosh I gooo~

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Not so sure about the "greatly improved" gameplay but we'll have plenty opportunity to discuss that as the LP goes on. Still an amazing game, and an LP I've been waiting for for a long time; here's to shooting more hapless professionals who just want to do their jobs in the evil industry.

e: Some of the stuff the mooks carry in their pockets will get positively fascinating.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Aug 17, 2017

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Getting in on the ground floor! I own physical copies of both NOLFs and I'm super happy to see you play and show off the second one as well.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
How could a game called "Contract J.A.C.K." be bad?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

GamesAreSupernice posted:

How could a game called "Contract J.A.C.K." be bad?
In many, many ways but primarily by not being funny or fun.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

anilEhilated posted:

In many, many ways but primarily by not being funny or fun.

Maybe it was trying to be ironic.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
All I know is that it killed my computer when I so much as tried the demo.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

anilEhilated posted:

e: Some of the stuff the mooks carry in their pockets will get positively fascinating.

Considering we've started with strawberry Pocky, Warhammer dudes, and breath mints, I can believe that.

Does the enemy chatter reach the lofty heights of the first game, where goons stood around discussing determinism?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Whyyyyy must you start this now?! I just downloaded the game to start playing it a few days ago! Now I need to choose how to see everything first!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

The only NOLF game I have actually played. Mostly because I won a physical copy of it in an contest.
But after looking for it it seems like I've lost it at some point. Which is a bit of a shame.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

where goons stood around discussing determinism?

I must have severely underestimated the writing of the first game.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The writing in NOLF is loving great.

NOLF was great because it understood to be a truly great affectionate parody, you also have to be a genuinely good (if silly) example of the thing you're parodying. And thus, it was actually a well-plotted, fun 1960s swinging spy action story, too.

I have been looking forward to seeing NOLF 2 since you finished the first one.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Edit: hang on there's NOLF2 spoilers in this here link. have a random scene instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lkcr5ASZIxc

double nine fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 17, 2017

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I preferred the plot of the first game to this one, but this game does have two of my all time favorite boss fights ever. Looking forward to when Scruffy takes them on.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Does the enemy chatter reach the lofty heights of the first game, where goons stood around discussing determinism?
It has my favorite bit of dialogue in the games. Two words: artificial lava.
The humor moves a bit from loving parody to straight-up comedy and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't but both the games have great writing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

double nine posted:

Edit: hang on there's NOLF2 spoilers in this here link. have a random scene instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lkcr5ASZIxc

NOLF has the best mooks in the business.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I just finished rewatching your original NOLF LP so after that I spent a day going "Boy I wish there was a good LP of NOLF 2 out there since Ive never seen it". Which meant when I loaded up YouTube and saw the episode one thumbnail I thought my mind had broken and I was finally hallucinating.

Really looking forward to this. Little sad to hear the writing isn't as good as the first one but psyched that it's still apparently good.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

anilEhilated posted:

Not so sure about the "greatly improved" gameplay

Some parts are greatly improved. Most, even. But I know what you're talking about. It's basically the most (in)famous part of NOLF 2. I still think the game's really good despite it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I'll be sure to enjoy watching this LP.

...IN HELL!!!

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Psion posted:

Some parts are greatly improved. Most, even. But I know what you're talking about. It's basically the most (in)famous part of NOLF 2. I still think the game's really good despite it.

You know I'll be perfectly honest, I haven't even finished the game yet and unless you're referring to a part in India (I've finished that area) I am less than enthused.

Samovar posted:

I'll be sure to enjoy watching this LP.

...IN HELL!!!

I am desperately trying to avoid saying IN HELL while also keeping my one liner game strong. No promises.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
I'm just a little saddened by the fact that Cate doesn't sound Scottish anymore. That was one of the best parts of NOLF, Cate wasn't just a woman spy, she was a grumpy woman spy who didn't take any crap from anyone!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

dscruffy1 posted:

I am desperately trying to avoid saying IN HELL while also keeping my one liner game strong. No promises.

Just try to keep them contextual, like what James Bond would have done. "She was let go", and such.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I love the enemy conversations already. Kind of wanna see a Family Matters with Ninjas show now after that whole conversation about the mom flying across the room slashing.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
Probably my favourite game of all time. Stoked to see it again!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Oh yay I missed the first game but this looks to be just as much fun. Too bad there isn't a legal way to acquire this outside of buying physical copies on ebay or somewhere

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
- This game is awesome, I still have it somewhere, I've been meaning to replay it, but I have so many other things to do.
- The change in VA's is quite noticable and a bit jarring, but that's mostly just from recently listening to the original a few moments ago. In a few hours I'll probably forget all about it.
- I think at the time this game came out, few FPS's had skill upgrades.
- The change to allow Cate to move bodies was very welcome. Looks like she worked on her upper body strength after the first game (that was the excuse.
- Upgrade Stealth ASAP, it's really useful. I also liked to upgrade search. The game gives you enough points to upgrade several things, but not everything.
- I like how the alarms in Japan are just tiny wooden chimes.
- I never noticed this the first time, but it bugs me that they are giving the name of the contact in the notes left pinned prominently up in the ninja-infested village. If you're leaving notes up where anyone can find them, at least just call him "the contact" or a code name like "Blue Dragon" or something. The contact knows this, which is why he encoded his messages.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Just try to keep them contextual, like what James Bond would have done. "She was let go", and such.

yeah, she got the point/had a sharp wit/was straight as an arrow/...

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

dscruffy1 posted:

You know I'll be perfectly honest, I haven't even finished the game yet and unless you're referring to a part in India (I've finished that area) I am less than enthused.

I meant on mechanical grounds, really, with one glaring exception. Plot and characters are down to personal preference, I've seen good arguments for both.

e: oh, let me just get this a day later. the infamous bullshit is the respawning enemies you mentioned in the first video.

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 19, 2017

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Is it possible to do non-lethal stealth in this game?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Xander77 posted:

No. It's an FPS at heart, stealth isn't always an option; it's more of an oldschool design where there are stealth(able) sections.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

- I never noticed this the first time, but it bugs me that they are giving the name of the contact in the notes left pinned prominently up in the ninja-infested village. If you're leaving notes up where anyone can find them, at least just call him "the contact" or a code name like "Blue Dragon" or something. The contact knows this, which is why he encoded his messages.
Thing is, neither UNITY nor HARM are exactly competent.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Aug 18, 2017

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

dscruffy1 posted:

Aww man and no squeals of panic either? Lame.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Xander77 posted:

If you mean non-lethal takedowns, then no. But due to game mechanics, some sections actually encourage avoiding enemies rather than killing them.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 18, 2017

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Because you get to hear their dialogue if you don't alert and kill them, I assume.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Because you get to hear their dialogue if you don't alert and kill them, I assume.
Hey, it's much better and more fun than achievements.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

When, next spring, you finish this LP, can I suggest you do Tron 2.0? As the game is objectively only sequel to classical Disney movie and there's no good LP of it that I know. Also, another great work of Monolith and visually very cool.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Your commentary about the video at the bottom still mentions this as the Sexy Brutale LP.

Still, this LP will be fun to watch!

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

NOLF 1&2 are two of my favorite games. :sad: that Monolith is in bad spot and there will never be a third

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

double nine posted:

yeah, she got the point/had a sharp wit/was straight as an arrow/...

He'll never be the HEAD of a major corporation!

Liked the LP of the first game Scruffy (it might have been one of the first LPs I came across come to think of it), and I'm looking forward to this one.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

NHO posted:

When, next spring, you finish this LP, can I suggest you do Tron 2.0? As the game is objectively only sequel to classical Disney movie and there's no good LP of it that I know. Also, another great work of Monolith and visually very cool.

Mmmmmmaybe? I'd never considered it but it is a game that exists. If I can do something good for it I'll absolutely go with it but I haven't played it so who knows??? I'll be busy with something else around that time but I'll see what comes to me.

On a more current note, update!

The Death of a Spy
Scene 1/Polsy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

dscruffy1 posted:

Mmmmmmaybe? I'd never considered it but it is a game that exists. If I can do something good for it I'll absolutely go with it but I haven't played it so who knows??? I'll be busy with something else around that time but I'll see what comes to me.

It's basically a suggestion in the vein of "if you want more of NOLF2 gameplay, except better" because it pretty much perfects the formula. (Forced stealth sections still annoying as gently caress, though.)
Which is why I imagine they suggested it. That or nostalgia for the golden age of Monolith that ended with FEAR.

edit: The cat eye thing is a reference to some historical ninja or other who was supposed to make the remark (Hanzo Hattori? Don't know any other historical ninjas). Someone here's bound to know the reference in more detail.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Aug 19, 2017

• Locked thread