Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

MassRafTer posted:

It didn't just end horribly, it was horrible for months. The promo was in mid September, the "blow off" was the night after Starrcade 98 (since Bischoff won at Starrcade.) In between it drags and drags and gets so dumb. Then the feud continues with Bischoff having to do Flair's bidding, Flair getting kidnapped and left for dead by the nWo, the First Blood Barbed Wire Cage match, etc.

It starts with two good promos and from there gets so bad with maybe two more great Flair promos?

It's one of the worst feuds WCW ever did.

And you wonder why I want to know what your dick tastes like...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

MassRafTer posted:

It didn't just end horribly, it was horrible for months. The promo was in mid September, the "blow off" was the night after Starrcade 98 (since Bischoff won at Starrcade.) In between it drags and drags and gets so dumb. Then the feud continues with Bischoff having to do Flair's bidding, Flair getting kidnapped and left for dead by the nWo, the First Blood Barbed Wire Cage match, etc.

It starts with two good promos and from there gets so bad with maybe two more great Flair promos?

It is a case of highs and lows.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

And you wonder why I want to know what your dick tastes like...

I told you.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It is a case of highs and lows.

There are highs but the rest is Homer falling down the cliff.

And then you get to the blow off he wins the presidency and fall down the cliff again.

There were some actual good WCW feuds after that like The 2 Poop Feuds.

Or realistically the 3 way tag feud from spring of 99 or the incredible Hogan vs Wall one night feud. HE FEARS NO MAN. HE FEELS NO PAIN!

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 17, 2017

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

MassRafTer posted:

I told you.

"I eat pineapple" is equivalent to "Train, say your prayers, and eat your vitamins"

I've been eating pineapple every day since you revealed your "secret" and I still haven't taken over the world. Or even this message board.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Uhhh I'm kinda tempted but not enough for $24. If it was like, $15 maybe. Like, if it had some actual promo outlines, I'd be down. But it's just a quick run sheet.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

For good or bad, the Bischoff feud was when Flair's incredibly hyped up screaming promo style started. I'm not sure if he ever did a calm one after.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

St Evan Echoes posted:

Fun fact: In a 98 radio interview, Triple H said Flair should just retire

Steve Austin was saying this in 1995, to put everything in perspective.

"Oh that old guy from the rival promotion? Yes he is the best," said no one ever.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

I'm the last minute addition of VAN HAMMER.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

MassRafTer posted:

The feud was terribly paced with Bischoff taking Flair off the air for 2 months just to try to stretch it out to Starrcade.
Then he won the Starrcade match for some godawful reason.
Then Flair won the entirely unnecessary putback match.

Then the end of the feud happened on the other end of the "Nitro with no wrestling in the first hour" which, having been watching the Nitros with you guys for the past 2 years made me realize that you can point the finger to that exact Nitro and realize that was the point where WCW's creative completely fell off the rails, never to return. So of course the feud would peter out with no resolution and somehow segue to a stupid cage match where the rules didn't matter and the points were made up.

But at least there was a passion and a dynamic behind it that allowed people to buy into it.

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

Help me settle a debate. I believe in at least one interview as a Horsemen Benoit referred to himself as "silent but deadly" at interview's end before holding up four fingers.

Did this actually happen?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Silent but violent was used in reference to Benoit, that might be it.

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

Right, but I believe there was at least one interview where he referred to himself as silent but deadly.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
I remember the same but in ECW with Shane Douglas and it was about Malenko.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Maxwell Lord posted:

(Also I notice that Flair, like, sold and did jobs clean and put other guys over every so often. Part of that may have been having so little influence, but still he comes off as way more professional than Hogan ever was.)

Yeah, a huge part of Flair's legacy is that he'd go out of his way to put his opponents over. Sometimes to an insane degree. Did he ever just straight up win a match without letting the other guy take 75% of it?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
After watching the video of Cornette recounting 1989 in WCW I started watching the Flair booked stuff from late in the year.

Obviously, Saturday Night is the A show, and I've been really enjoying the poo poo out of it. If I wanted to pick up one or two of the other shows to watch which one should I watch? Pro, Main Event, Power Hour or WorldWide?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

algebra testes posted:

After watching the video of Cornette recounting 1989 in WCW I started watching the Flair booked stuff from late in the year.

Obviously, Saturday Night is the A show, and I've been really enjoying the poo poo out of it. If I wanted to pick up one or two of the other shows to watch which one should I watch? Pro, Main Event, Power Hour or WorldWide?

I remember Power Hour having good main events but I'm not really an expert on old WCW TV. From a quick look online, Main Event was the B-show.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I'd go with Worldwide, the syndicated show was still somewhat important then and had some ok matches.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I may be biased because Power Hour had one of my favorite WCW TV main events ever, the Horsemen v. Buzz Sawyer/Dragon Master/Muta tag match which had one of the hottest crowds I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJJUHfr8kIA

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I feel like, over my years as a wrestling fan like i'm one of those memes

brain: WCW WAS GREAT
explody brain: WCW WAS ALWAYS TERRIBLE
big explody brain: WCW had peaks and valley but was ultimately sabotaged by lack of consistent leadership
biggest explody brain: TO BE THE MAN YOU GOTTA BEAT THE MAN, WOOOOOOOOOO!

But thank you both for your input, I'm really surprised how much I'm enjoying this stuff. :)

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

algebra testes posted:

big explody brain: WCW had peaks and valley but was ultimately sabotaged by lack of consistent leadership

But thank you both for your input, I'm really surprised how much I'm enjoying this stuff. :)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

algebra testes posted:

I'm the first two at all times.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

algebra testes posted:

This except with the lyrics to Buff Bagwell's theme song

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

triplexpac posted:

Yeah, a huge part of Flair's legacy is that he'd go out of his way to put his opponents over. Sometimes to an insane degree.

Flair was also determined to have fun as a wrestler regardless of the booking, or even the effect said fun would have on his personal and professional lives. He was WCW's only saving grace on numerous occasions because of this.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
gently caress the Hulk Hogan raft

we need the Buff pennant

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

MassRafTer posted:

we need the Buff pennant

I will gladly pay several hundred dollars to the person that tracks this down as I cannot get enough of Buff The Stuff

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

RZApublican posted:

I will gladly pay several hundred dollars to the person that tracks this down as I cannot get enough of Buff The Stuff

Good news, friend

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-wcw-buff-the-stuff-bagwell-full-size-pennant-rare-/272693073862

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

:stare:

Well this just makes me want to get a job even quicker, now. Also drat does that guy have a lot of obscure Attitude Era merch. Like the Disco Inferno pennant, for example :v:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-wcw-disoo-inferno-full-size-pennant-super-rare-/282500207513?hash=item41c6531399:g:fSwAAOSwjL5ZLQ5p

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

we need the Buff pennant

if only the buff pennant could have kept wcw in first place

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Big sexys match times would be reduced 20% if he didn't have to scoop his hair out of his face after literally every move.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

oldpainless posted:

Big sexys match times would be reduced 20% if he didn't have to scoop his hair out of his face after literally every move.

But then he'd only have 4 moves!!!

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

RZApublican posted:

But for only $800 you can have two hours with the man himself...

https://www.cowboys4angels.com/cowboy/marcus-bagwell/

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

MD2020 posted:

But for only $800 you can have two hours with the man himself...

https://www.cowboys4angels.com/cowboy/marcus-bagwell/

Sadly he isn't actually doing that anymore from what I remember. Also holy poo poo his description

quote:

Marcus Alexander Bagwell grew up outside of Atlanta and after being a star athlete in high school, he decided to take his hard work and effort in fitness to become a personal trainer. Not long after Marcus also decided to enroll in massage therapy school where he eventually graduated top of his class and holds a degree in masotherapy. While pursuing his passions he was discovered by a professional wrestler who convinced Marcus to give it a shot and after doing so he was a natural. His first persona on national TV was the Handsome Stranger where he brought roses to the ring and handed them out to the ladies in the crowd. Fast forward a year later and he was now signed to World Championship Wrestling and received rookie of the year honors. This sky rocketed his career and now no longer calling him self Marcus Alexander Bagwell, Buff the Stuff Bagwell was born and the rest is history. Being watched each week by millions of fans all over the world, Buff Bagwell spent over a decade on national TV entertaining the fans.

A true southern gentleman Marcus once again is ready to hand out a few roses and entertain you for the evening, but if that’s not your cup of tea he will forever be your Buff The Stuff Bagwell.

$800 does sound like a tempting offer though but unless there is something he forgot to add to his profile something tells me that Buff isn't okay with getting Stuffed.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I can't even rag on Buff that much after that ridiculous story he told about shooting his father when he was like, ten to keep him from killing his mother

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth

DeathChicken posted:

I can't even rag on Buff that much after that ridiculous story he told about shooting his father when he was like, ten to keep him from killing his mother

this really ups the Ante on the Judy bagwell on a forklift match because we know buff is ready to use deadly force to defend her

BhindiBhaji Boogie
Aug 6, 2013

Well that's my story.
I was flipping through an old PWI magazine from 1997 and I noticed that they were advertising WCW action figures from 1994. Pretty run of the mill stuff - they had your Vaders, your Flairs and Hogans and then for some reason Sgt Craig Pittman. Was the roster really that thin? He apparently worked a program with "Cobra" (NWO Sting) but there was no "Cobra" action figure so Im stumped. Why would anyone in 1994 want a Craig Pittman action figure?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

BhindiBhaji Boogie posted:

I was flipping through an old PWI magazine from 1997 and I noticed that they were advertising WCW action figures from 1994. Pretty run of the mill stuff - they had your Vaders, your Flairs and Hogans and then for some reason Sgt Craig Pittman. Was the roster really that thin? He apparently worked a program with "Cobra" (NWO Sting) but there was no "Cobra" action figure so Im stumped. Why would anyone in 1994 want a Craig Pittman action figure?

The same reason someone in 2017 would want a Sami Zayn action figure, because they found a jobber they like.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

He was somewhat pushed as "Dude who routinely kills jobbers on The Mothership and squashes Cobra on PPV for kicks." Then the NWO came along and that was it for him

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
He was a project, you can kind of tell at the time that they wanted him to go somewhere but had no clue what they were doing. Not quite Glacier levels of hype but kind of a military Glacier.

BhindiBhaji Boogie
Aug 6, 2013

Well that's my story.

rare Magic card l00k posted:

The same reason someone in 2017 would want a Sami Zayn action figure, because they found a jobber they like.

Point well taken. I had a Repo Man action figure as a kid. I just couldnt for the life of me remember a single notable moment involving Craig Pittman. I think time has worn my memory of mid 90s WCW and I may have actually been mixing up the Colonel with "The Sarge" from the Power Plant and Ice Train in some weird nostalgia clusterfuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

He was notable for yelling "The beatings will continue until morale improves!" after squashing jobbers, which is pretty awesome