Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

it's a chili dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Kaewan posted:

I've been wondering this myself, specifically the single joycon support. I know Overcooked is another that will do up to 4 with single joy cons.

Fast RMX supports single joy cons and I imagine most racing games do/will.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
All the people coming out now who've been saying they never played the original Sonic games makes me wonder:

Are there newer gamers who haven't played the old 2D marios? People who've played games for years but have not tried SMB3 or SMW? Besides Mario maker things

Tender Bender posted:

I don't really like how busy sonic levels are. The combination of many paths and stuff to do but you're supposed to blow by it instead of exploring it all just isn't my thing.

I think this is q funny complaint in context of the franchise. The franchise tried offshoots that went in different directions from 1-3. Sonic CD had larger levels that were a bit complex and encouraged slower exploration. And then there's the handheld games that generally condensed the levels to be more straightforward to encourage direct speedy play. Both of these approaches had wildly mixed responses from the fanbase over the years, and most of the time we've settled on "Yeah the originals maybe did it best by allowing both speed/exploration".

So I'm not trying to take away form your complaint, just find it interesting given the rhetoric of fans over the years.

Martytoof posted:

I don't mind the busy level design but that combined with not really understanding the mechanics means that :supaburn: STUFF IS HAPPENING ON SCREEN :supaburn: and I am barely able to follow :q:

To be frank, don't overcomplicate it. Sonic games have lots of moments built into the levels that are meant to be like a rollercoaster. Where you're supposed to just see things fly by and not really understand but enjoy the rushing feeling. Trying to go through the levels fast on your own basically does the same thing. All the gimmicks and mechanics usually involve Jumping or Spinning on the ground (your only actions) so just go from there.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Something I can't believe I haven't tried yet, in Sonic and Tails mode does the second controller control tails?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Ventana posted:

All the people coming out now who've been saying they never played the original Sonic games makes me wonder:

Are there newer gamers who haven't played the old 2D marios? People who've played games for years but have not tried SMB3 or SMW? Besides Mario maker things

Obviously yes. Just like I'm not familiar with C64 library of games, there are plenty of youngins who won't be familiar with Nes/Snes games. Some people think Halo is retro...

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

There are plenty of people that played New Super Mario Bros DS or Wii before any other. Those games sold a ridiculous amount. I know a few that then went back to play the older ones and enjoyed them even more.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm 38 and the switch is my first Nintendo console. While I played bits of other Mario games on other people's consoles before, I never played any of them all the way though.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Ventana posted:

kind of funny how many people bought Sonic Mania and seemingly have no idea how the game functions and/or are surprised about the odd juxtaposition of "gotta go fast / gotta explore for bonuses"

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

RCarr posted:

I've never played a JackBox game before. Should I get #1 or #2? Both? Neither?

It's weird that they don't have all three in a single package, but I'd say they both have enough good games to make both worth it.
#3 is my least favorite though, the only really good one there is Quiplash 2 and it's not really that different from Quiplash XL which is in #2.
If you have to pick one I'd say #2 is the best.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Ventana posted:

I'm sure there are, just like how I never played atari games because I wasn't alive when they came out. When I was a kid, we only had an NES and later I got an N64. My friend had SNES. I only knew one family that had a sega console and they were annoying.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Something I can't believe I haven't tried yet, in Sonic and Tails mode does the second controller control tails?

I'd be stunned if it didn't, but they do go out of their way to allow them both to be controlled by P1.

Which I wish I had known before I cleared Sonic solo but OH WELL

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
To anyone playing Sonic Mania and having a hard time with the checkpoint blue ball collecting game: you can press left or right before Sonic actually gets to the "intersection" that you want him to turn at.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

katkillad2 posted:

Obviously yes. Just like I'm not familiar with C64 library of games, there are plenty of youngins who won't be familiar with Nes/Snes games. Some people think Halo is retro...

The difference is that Mario games are very prolific and seated in lots of pop culture things to where a lot of non-gamers are at least familiar with Mario (more so than C64/Halo). Sonic himself is also popular on that higher level, though maybe not quite as high. And more to the point, both these old Mario/Sonic games have been re-released several times on various systems for people to play, which isn't quite the same to other games from the eighties.* Atari as a brand is known and gets re-releases, but I don't know if I'd say there was any Atari game that we look upon in the same vein as SMB3/SMW and doesn't have a modern presence.

*Actually looking it up, there were C64 games on the Wii virtual console, but they were taken down apparently :smith:

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Ventana posted:

Sonic himself is also popular on that higher level, though maybe not quite as high.

I'm pretty sure that if I showed my mom a picture of Sonic she wouldn't know who he is. Mario is instantly recognizable to her.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mario for like 2 decades has been saying his own name every time he shows up. Its a me mario.

Hes a much better self promoter than sanik who makes the inadequate tails be his hype man.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So I bought the bayonetta 1 & 2 wii-u disc copy a while back. Finally started 1. It's, uh, interesting. Doesn't seemed to have aged well. Is it a bad idea to skip it?

Also for some reason half the audio doesn't work

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

So I bought the bayonetta 1 & 2 wii-u disc copy a while back. Finally started 1. It's, uh, interesting. Doesn't seemed to have aged well. Is it a bad idea to skip it?

Also for some reason half the audio doesn't work

I think maybe something is wrong with your copy, that doesn't sound right.

Bayonetta 2 is better gameplay mechanics-wise but I would not skip 1. It has one of the most insane progressions ever all the way to the final boss.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

katkillad2 posted:

Mario is one of the most well known fictional characters on the planet, only beaten out by someone like Mickey Mouse and maybe Bugs Bunny. The only other video game character that comes close at this point is Pikachu.

I can't think of any game of note on the C64. Maybe that Bruce Lee game?

You know what would be good for getting a bunch of young kids to try the older Mario games? If Nintendo actually manufactured enough NES minis to meet demand, or even just put the drat NES Mini games on the Switch eShop as a bundle and let us just buy that. They could even sell it for the same price or maybe :10bux: less and they'd still have a bigger profit margin than the physical item did. :psypop:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Mickey Mouse, Bart Simpson, Mario, Pikachu and the 😂 emoji

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Evil Fluffy posted:

I can't think of any game of note on the C64.

Yeah, that definitely settles it. C64 had no games.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
I had a Game Boy and on up through their various versions, but didn't own a Nintendo console until the Gamecube. So the Mario games I've played are Mario Land, Six Golden Coins, and the first Wario title, all on the grey brick Game Boy. Never played any of the others, unless you count Mario Teaches Typing for DOS. So yeah there's people out there who haven't played any of the 'classic' big name series on older consoles. I was a PC kid, and only got consoles when I could buy them myself.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

You know what would be good for getting a bunch of young kids to try the older Mario games? If Nintendo actually manufactured enough NES minis to meet demand, or even just put the drat NES Mini games on the Switch eShop as a bundle and let us just buy that. They could even sell it for the same price or maybe :10bux: less and they'd still have a bigger profit margin than the physical item did. :psypop:

Shoot, stuff a download code in a box with an official Switch NES Controller. I'd buy two!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Wheany posted:

The C64 was completely forgettable and is about as relevant to the "do new gamers play older mario games" as it would be to ask if newer gamers play games on their TI-82s.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Deadspin releases review for the nintendo switch. You won't believe what they have to say!

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

So I have a extra Sonic Mania code because I wasn't going to wait for my package to come on Thursday. The first person that can guess my favorite Sonic Team game is that isn't a Sonic game then you can have the code. (one guess per person.)

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Ristar

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ristar

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Jarogue posted:

So I have a extra Sonic Mania code because I wasn't going to wait for my package to come on Thursday. The first person that can guess my favorite Sonic Team game is that isn't a Sonic game then you can have the code. (one guess per person.)

Sonic Shuffle

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Jarogue posted:

Sonic CD

Edit: I need to learn to read, still best Sonic Team Game

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 17, 2017

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

edit: Double post on accident

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Jarogue posted:

Nights into Dreams

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
ChuChu Rocket

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Lakbay posted:

ChuChu Rocket

This is the correct answer even if its not.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Jarogue posted:

Burning Rangers (I don't want the code, but it had to be mentioned).

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Wheany posted:

I still remember playing 4th & Inches on C64 so.... yeah this is wrong

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Evil Fluffy posted:

The C64 was completely forgettable and is about as relevant to the "do new gamers play older mario games" as it would be to ask if newer gamers play games on their TI-82s.

Mind you, Commodore was this close in getting Nintendo publish their games on it until Commodore CEO Jack Tramiel pulled the rug under the deal because he wanted to honor another deal with an American gaming giant, ultimately leading Nintendo to do their own "family computer" - and the rest is history.

This reminds me: Didn't the Wii U have a service at one point where you could play C64 games on it? I remember they had to shut it down because licensing all those games was a big hassle to accomplish, and I guess they lost spirit afterwards. Would be great if they somehow pulled it off for the Online service. Oh well.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

No it's Phantasy Star Online.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Congrats you win a free code.

Sorry Al you were close.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Jarogue posted:

Knuckles Teaches Taxes

• Locked thread